• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Fewr

I did it guys, hold me. I made it to rank 5. This is my legend.

There was so much Pirate Warrior around 6 & 5. All my regrets around crafting Lightlord went out the window. Fucker saved me so many times. It is such a satisfying feeling to survive the initial PW onslaught and just keep playing taunts as they buff their weapon to 9/3 or whatever.
Ah man, congrats!! ����

EDIT: quoting just because it's top of page and so people can see your achievement.

That's great. Gives me hope to get past 18 hehe.

Ah man, congrats!! 👌👍

That's great. Gives me hope to get past 18 hehe.
Cheers man, this was my everest. I know I'd struggle to climb any further once decks start changing up even a little. The only reason I really made it besides perseverance is because I'm using a "top tier" deck and became intimately familiar with PW, Hunter and Mage decks which were the majority of my games the past few days. Druid games went either way and Evolve Shaman messed me up most of the time.

How folks in here have the skill/patience to reach legend is beyond me.

Cheers man, this was my everest. I know I'd struggle to climb any further once decks start changing up even a little. The only reason I really made it besides perseverance is because I'm using a "top tier" deck and became intimately familiar with PW, Hunter and Mage decks which were the majority of my games the past few days. Druid games went either way and Evolve Shaman messed me up most of the time.

How folks in here have the skill/patience to reach legend is beyond me.

Congrats dude! You can reach legend, it just takes a lot of time. But when you get on a hot streak, you'd be surprised at how fast you can push ranks, even without bonus stars. That said, it is a GRIND, and it takes a lot of time. Most important thing is to just enjoy the game :)

Bunga

Happy days guys, made it to Rank 10 this morning in my first dedicated effort to get past ladder anxiety. I posted earlier in the thread about getting to the Rank 13/12 mark and getting anxiety for no obvious reason. Took the advice given on board. Then I dusted my wild cards in order to craft some missing cards for the Tier 1/2 decks and started going for it.

I'm now Rank 10 *** on a win streak. The highest rank I've ever got to was Rank 8 with Midrange Hunter and that was probably over 18 months ago. I've stopped and started playing since then (restarted in earnest with Un'Goro) and played a lot of Casual. So yeah, it sure feels great to hit that Rank 10 mark. Gonna make a push til the end of the season, I would imagine I won't make Rank 5 but I can try.

I'll be happy with whatever now and would probably aim to get Rank 10 again next season if possible.

jerd

I got my first winstreak in maybe 50 games. It took midrange hunter of all things.

I finally decided to ladder and played hunter from 15 to 10 a couple of nights ago losing only one game. It's just stupid consistent and easy to climb with at ranks without pirate warriors

Just thought, why don't quest rogue decks run ancient brewmaster? It's a bounce card but it's not used in the lists I've seen. I'm tempted to run it. Bad idea?

Blizzard

Banned
Just thought, why don't quest rogue decks run ancient brewmaster? It's a bounce card but it's not used in the lists I've seen. I'm tempted to run it. Bad idea?
By the time you can afford a 4-mana minion you should already be halfway done with your quest. Quest rogue focuses on spells and cheap minions.

By the time you can afford a 4-mana minion you should already be halfway done with your quest. Quest rogue focuses on spells and cheap minions.

Yeah I guess that's true. I've had games where I don't draw the last bounce card I need way past turn 4 and including this would have increased my chances by one or two. Maybe I'll review my list and see if there's something I know that isn't working and then swap it for that.

Sande

You could tolerate Warleader back when almost every other murloc was garbage. I can't fathom how it gets a pass now.

Also no idea why they thought Gentle Megasaur should be a 5/4.

Bunga

What are peoples thoughts on Volcanic Potion in Gunther/Burn mage? I've been playing the deck quite a bit lately and the list I'm using at the moment doesn't run VP. I'm finding I'm getting absolutely rekt by any Token Druids/Midrange Hunters though as the only board clear option is Flamestrike on turn 7 and by that point it's wayyyy too late.

scarlet

What are peoples thoughts on Volcanic Potion in Gunther/Burn mage? I've been playing the deck quite a bit lately and the list I'm using at the moment doesn't run VP. I'm finding I'm getting absolutely rekt by any Token Druids/Midrange Hunters though as the only board clear option is Flamestrike on turn 7 and by that point it's wayyyy too late.

The latest version of burn mage runs 2 volcanic potion and 1 kabal courier.

Bunga

The latest version of burn mage runs 2 volcanic potion and 1 kabal courier.

Hmm just had a look. Latest version seems to have dropped Ooze too. I dunno about that, every time I have a mirror match up, the Ooze just crushes their Medivh and I go on to win the game. I'll drop a Courier though for sure and something else to fit in the second Volcanic Potion.

scarlet

Hmm just had a look. Latest version seems to have dropped Ooze too. I dunno about that, every time I have a mirror match up, the Ooze just crushes their Medivh and I go on to win the game. I'll drop a Courier though for sure and something else to fit in the second Volcanic Potion.

What's on your list?

Bunga

What's on your list?

I just changed mine to the Meta Snapshot version which indeed had -1 Courier and +2 Volcanic. But that version also replaced the Gluttonous Ooze with Eater of Secrets which on one hand I think sounds pretty decent, but on the other as I say, burn mage is really popular right now, and the Ooze just destroys the opponents Medivh. It's also obviously decent vs Pirate Warrior whilst both Ooze and Eater of Secrets have uses against Pally.

The Meta Snapshot burn mage also drops x2 Babbling Book in favour of Polymorph and summat else, again I'm not sure about that.

Grief.exe

Adding in the extra volcanic would help against aggro classes I struggle against like Hunter and Druid. I've had one teched in for a while, but winning against those decks basically relies on whether I draw that card.

For Gunther/Burn Mage, what is the win condition for Taunt warrior. I usually try to save all spells for direct burn and ignore the taunts.

I don't know what it is about Shaman, but every time I play against the class I just go full on tilt. Like, Turn to Frog is a strictly better Polymorph 90% of the time, Overload legitimately pisses me off because it's supposed to be a downside but it's not because Shaman builds around it, the RNG Damage spells are frustrating to try and play around, Jade Lightning is right up there with Firelands Portal in "Fuck you" tier removal, and just.. ugh.

Like, I'd be totally fine with a Hearthstone 2.0 in the lines of HotS 2.0 where they fix charge as a mechanic/nerf it outright, boost Priest's Classic set, rebalance cards, add an actual tournament mode, change the dust economy(It's stupid that I can Disenchant a legendary and only be 25% of the way to one I want, especially with their required status nowdays IE Priest Needs Lyra, Rogues need Caverns Below etc) but I know that's never going to happen because Team 5 is slow as molasses.

scarlet

Adding in the extra volcanic would help against aggro classes I struggle against like Hunter and Druid. I've had one teched in for a while, but winning against those decks basically relies on whether I draw that card.

For Gunther/Burn Mage, what is the win condition for Taunt warrior. I usually try to save all spells for direct burn and ignore the taunts.

Don't let them get more armor by killing armor lady, armorsmith ASAP.

Don't let them get more armor by killing armor lady, armorsmith ASAP.

if they play it smart they'll hold them until they can flood the board and whirlwind a couple times in one go.

I don't think there's a trick to Taunt Warrior, just play to your outs and hope shield block are the bottom 2 cards. The nice thing is they can't pressure very well and maintain armor up.

loving bringing old school ramp druid back in this brawl, very tough for ppl to deal with early yetis, ogres, ironbarks, sunwalkers, 7/6 for 5 cost, and using defender of argus. its great not having to play around every card in the goddamn game thanks to no discover rng

i'm the only person i've seen running venture co mercenary but it works nice with innervate and wildgrowth in ramp here

Magnus

This brawl is such a great idea. Very much hoping it eventually gets expanded into a semi-regular mode like the Overwatch Brawls. Eventually, I'm hoping they do more like it, including a Naxx-era brawl, a 2015-era brawl, or even brawls that include card pool combinations that never existed before (like only Basic/Classic + Whispers, or something) giving rise to entirely new metas.

I did it guys, hold me. I made it to rank 5. This is my legend.

There was so much Pirate Warrior around 6 & 5. All my regrets around crafting Lightlord went out the window. Fucker saved me so many times. It is such a satisfying feeling to survive the initial PW onslaught and just keep playing taunts as they buff their weapon to 9/3 or whatever.

Congrats! I was so happy the one month I made 5, lol. I actually climbed to 3 that month, but sank to 6 or 7 by the end.

I don't think I'll ever actually make the grind full out to Legend, since I tend to play fun decks more of the time these days instead of FOTM winning ones, but who knows.

NWFamlJ.jpg

six straight with ramp druid in brawl, kinda want a second argus but all the 4 attack minions really do work on priest so idk if i can justify a spot, all the card draw really helps snagging innervate and WG and if you get those good luck keeping up

Zoggy

NWFamlJ.jpg

six straight with ramp druid in brawl, kinda want a second argus but all the 4 attack minions really do work on priest so idk if i can justify a spot, all the card draw really helps snagging innervate and WG and if you get those good luck keeping up
I think I won 200 games in tavern brawl during the charge taunt brawl with rogue lol.

I used to love tb, my favorite game mode.

Now it's just get my pack and bounce

Kaban

How to win as an Arena Druid against a Mage: Turn-one innervate, Vicious Fledgling.

What a broken card. I almost feel guilty using it :p

yeah charge brawl was my biggest one too, the games were so quick. if they ever brought that one back it would be even more broken though lol but it was great. i just like this old school meta. ppl have to actually build their own decks bc nothing is super op, and you don't have to play around everyone playing 10 cards that weren't even in their deck to begin with, its great

wiibomb

I can't believe I'm saying this.. but I made it, I finally made it.

got an amazing winstreak yesterday and got to rank 1, then earlier today got an abysmal lose streak until I was 1 game away from falling to rank 3, then I somehow made another huge winstreak with just 1 lose in between and got to legend.

I don't think I'll ever bother again with getting to legend, but oh boy it was an experience.

scarlet

I can't believe I'm saying this.. but I made it, I finally made it.

got an amazing winstreak yesterday and got to rank 1, then earlier today got an abysmal lose streak until I was 1 game away from falling to rank 3, then I somehow made another huge winstreak with just 1 lose in between and got to legend.

I don't think I'll ever bother again with getting to legend, but oh boy it was an experience.

Congrats dude, now use that card back!

Congrats! I was so happy the one month I made 5, lol. I actually climbed to 3 that month, but sank to 6 or 7 by the end.

I don't think I'll ever actually make the grind full out to Legend, since I tend to play fun decks more of the time these days instead of FOTM winning ones, but who knows.
Thanks. It did feel great to do it at least once. The dust reward was the big motivator. I want to craft Lyra for some shenanigans or Thalnos to finally get that out of the way. I was actually one win away from 3 today but got hammered enough times to call it quits.

I feel you about the legend push. I've never been interested in pushing with the most popular net deck before. I tried PW last season and managed to get to 8 but hyper aggro decks are just no fun. The last time I was heavily into this was during the Secret Palidan dominance but I just loved playing my bullshit Reno Druid. However this season I got Tarim in a pack and have had so much fun with midrange Pally. Have had some legit super close games. Granted it can feel super cheap if you get the perfect opening hand of murlocs but I've been screwed by crabs just as many times.

Bunga

Found a fairly decent stat tracker for iPhone (I play the vast majority of my Hearthstone on my phone) which has a handy widget for inputting matches so I don't even have to shut the game down/launch a different app. It won't track my decks or things such as coin win % etc that the PC versions do but win/loss record is good enough for my purposes.

Finding since I hit Rank 10 that my win ratio is a lot more down the middle than before, definitely a jump in player skill.

Found a fairly decent stat tracker for iPhone (I play the vast majority of my Hearthstone on my phone) which has a handy widget for inputting matches so I don't even have to shut the game down/launch a different app. It won't track my decks or things such as coin win % etc that the PC versions do but win/loss record is good enough for my purposes.

Finding since I hit Rank 10 that my win ratio is a lot more down the middle than before, definitely a jump in player skill.

wait what does it do? it tracks your win/loss automatically? i didn't know any iphone apps would do things by themselves

who has a good wild silence priest? i finally got second razorleaf, didn't want to waste dust making second one, stats on that card are absolutely bonkers though i can't believe they released that

Beckx

Weird game this morning. I have only really gotten semi-serious about Hearthstone in the last month or so (after dabbling on and off for a while). I haven't spent much money other than MSG (because I love the theme of that set), so my card collection is still not really competitive. It's fine, I am happy building out theme decks right now and playing high teens ranked. I know if I see a real competitive deck I'm probably screwed. Like lately it's all quest rogues and I get demolished.

So today I take my crappy Jade Lotus Rogue (don't laugh, I just like the them and like I said I don't have a lot of great cards overall) into ranked and get a Quest Rogue. They hit their quest...and then never play it. They keep trying to put out a board of minions first, and then every turn I wipe the board down to one or two left for them. This just repeats until I have enough stuff (high Jade Golems, a Daring Reporter that's been feeding off draws, etc) and just kill them.

Why? Taking pity on me? Not knowing how to play the deck? If they had just taken one turn to play the quest reward there would have been no way I could have dealt with a flood of 5/5s, I don't understand why they want to "set up" first.

wiibomb

I need to find a tracker for android, since I play about 90% of HS on my tablet or phone

I heard they broke the compatibility with several trackers with the ungoro update, but I'm don't even know which ones (and they said that they fixed it for next update)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Does anything i silence from barnes go back to original stats? wondering if need it in silence priest

It does. But still a little high rolly.

Though with Lyra in the deck and radiant elementals it could still be worth it.

I dusted the 4 mana 7/7s though so i haven't tried silence priest in wild yet. It's just so fast. The aggro combo priest just seems better.

Weird game this morning. I have only really gotten semi-serious about Hearthstone in the last month or so (after dabbling on and off for a while). I haven't spent much money other than MSG (because I love the theme of that set), so my card collection is still not really competitive. It's fine, I am happy building out theme decks right now and playing high teens ranked. I know if I see a real competitive deck I'm probably screwed. Like lately it's all quest rogues and I get demolished.

So today I take my crappy Jade Lotus Rogue (don't laugh, I just like the them and like I said I don't have a lot of great cards overall) into ranked and get a Quest Rogue. They hit their quest...and then never play it. They keep trying to put out a board of minions first, and then every turn I wipe the board down to one or two left for them. This just repeats until I have enough stuff (high Jade Golems, a Daring Reporter that's been feeding off draws, etc) and just kill them.

Why? Taking pity on me? Not knowing how to play the deck? If they had just taken one turn to play the quest reward there would have been no way I could have dealt with a flood of 5/5s, I don't understand why they want to "set up" first.

How many cards did he had in hand at completion? If done with a minion that draws cards is possible to burn the quest.

Top Bottom