• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jake Tapper is doing a townhall with Paul Ryan

Like Ryan gives a fuck. Half the country would lay under a bus and let republicans run over them again and again just because they want to piss off liberals.

DarkKyo

When Ryan smarmily asked, "oh, you mean his tweets?" The guy should have said "no, I mean when he said he grabs women by the pussy, what do you say to your kids about that?"

Steel

Banned
so its pretty much Ryan spewing bs and jake doing nothing to stop him.

Jake mentioned that they didn't actually get made into laws while he was talking. Most people probably didn't hear it though. It's not straight BS. It's technically true that he's passed bills, they just never made it out of the Senate.

Ryan is basically saying "The house has done its job, it's all the Senate's fault for not passing it!"

devilhawk

Excuse me nun, but I believe I'm a better Christian than you.

E: Holy shit she looks so pissed.
Ryan got booed for it, but he is exactly right about the single mom essentially being forced to stay on welfare. If she actually gets a job, she loses all benefits and likely ends up worse off than just remaining jobless. I have no idea about what his "phase out" comment means - it likely isn't good, but the current system has huge issues.

digdug2k

Ryan got booed for it, but he is exactly right about the single mom essentially being forced to stay on welfare. If she actually gets a job, she loses all benefits and likely ends up worse off than just remaining jobless. I have no idea about what his "phase out" comment means - it likely isn't good, but the current system has huge issues.
Having a job doesn't kick you off welfare instantly. These things (for instance, ACA subsidies) are usually gradated just to prevent what you're talking about. i.e. there is no cutoff where making $10 a month sends your food stamps from $100/month to $0.

What benefits are you getting from unemployment you couldn't get while employed? The way most unemployment systems are structured, you won't make as much as you would based on your last job. And you can get food stamps are someone who is employed. Most people on food stamps are the working poor.

devilhawk

Having a job doesn't kick you off welfare instantly. These things (for instance, ACA subsidies) are usually gradated just to prevent what you're talking about. i.e. there is no cutoff where making $10 a month sends your food stamps from $100/month to $0.
In the past I had read something saying otherwise, but I suppose that is reassuring to hear. Found a link that relates somewhat, that there is a cutoff, but not at no job versus job.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/emmajohnson/2015/10/13/why-this-educated-single-mom-cant-get-off-welfare/#c66634a523ad

Sounds like something a higher minimum wage may help with.

Hypothetically, let's say Ryan is accurate. He's also part of the problem thats gutting healthcare, stagnating wages and prevents spending money on jobs bills. He's essentially critiquing a solution his ideology exacerbates.

Top Bottom