• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New York Police Union Condemns What It Terms ‘Blue Racism’

Enzom21

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...37ee4b0e8cc855f162a?ncid=inblnkushpmg00000009
https://vimeo.com/230376456
A video released by a New York Police Department union claims cops are the victims of a special type of prejudice: ”blue racism."

Released Sunday night, the nearly four-minute video from the Sergeants Benevolent Association, says officers face worse treatment than those judged by their race.

”The average person doesn't see those things that make me human," a voiceover says. ”They don't even label me based on being African American, Latino, Asian, Caucasian and so on. They tend to see an even broader stereotype through an even more racist lens. When they look at me, they see blue."

The video also includes a quote from Martin Luther King Jr.'s famed ”I have a dream" speech that it didn't get quite right:
599b0d0d1e00003c00c5e988.png

The correct quote is: ”I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

Yazzees

sooo they're resorting to "cop is a race too and you're racist against cops!!"?

wew

”They don't even label me based on being African American, Latino, Asian, Caucasian and so on. They tend to see an even broader stereotype through an even more racist lens. When they look at me, they see blue."
and being racist against cops is MORE RACIST than being racist against...races!

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its an occupation, not a race. You can quit being a cop, you can't quit your skin color

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
I remember my grandfather used to tell me stories of how police officers were forced to use a different drinking fountain back in the day.

gatling

Why do tone-deaf people about this shit always try to quote Dr. King? It would be corny if it weren't so sad as hell.

jayhawker

Man, #blueracism is going to get turned around really fast as a way to describe racist acts of cops. I thought that's what it was when I read the thread title.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Another day, another dumb-ass statement from an American police force.

Infinite

Nope. Being a police is a job and right now that job entails harassing and abusing black and brown people. It's basically in the job description. Fall back with this nonsense and co-opting of actual social justice terminology.

Machina

Banned
Yo listen up, here's the story
About a little guy that lives in a blue world

Just as absurd as morons trying to call Atheism a religion

Jesus...

This would have been an OK video if it wasn't predicated upon this "strange form of racism".

There's missing the point and then there's missing the fucking galaxy that the point resides in.

God damn, using Martin Luther King to defend the "blue" from "racism" is pure trolling or unabashed idiocy on a scale I thankfully can't comprehend.

There is no such thing. A police officer is a profession, not a race. How about do your job better and not kill minorities at an alarming rate.

Link

The Autumn Wind
How fucking stupid are these people?

This is exactly why so many people hate cops, asshole.

Derwind

They should take their uniform off then but they won't because they know exactly how much power & authority it gives.

But don't criticize their policy & policing tactics because the truth hurts, also Blue Rac--- fuck off.

Jesus...

This would have been an OK video if it wasn't predicated upon this "strange form of racism".

There's missing the point and then there's missing the fucking galaxy that the point resides in.

God damn, using Martin Luther King to defend the "blue" from "racism" is pure trolling or unabashed idiocy on a scale I thankfully can't comprehend.

Yeah they completely gloss over how much racist policing affected the civil rights movement. Like they live on a completely different plane of existence than the point.

Servbot24

Banned
Okay, I'll judge you by your character.

Hmmmm, looks like you're racists and murderers.

Now that that's over with let's get back to actual issues.

Top Bottom