• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT31| I Think it Might Be for Show

Hey guys! I'm going to test out streaming for the first time with my shitty internet (750kbps upload)! I think it looks good based off some stuff, but I want other people's opinions!

Going to run a quick Giant Bomb staff match in Fire Pro to test it!

Here's the link: https://mixer.com/Karspankey

Stream over! Thank you Spirit Of Jazz for tuning in and being my Fire Pro daddy <3

- J - D -

JnGePcI.png

2956758-webp.net-resizeimage+%2811%29.jpg

This looks fanfuckingtastic

Aw yisss.

Another set of back-to-back Squad chicken dinners. In the first game, I think I winged someone once with an Uzi, and the second game I got a headshot kill with a K98, my team mostly carried things.

Yeah really didn't see the Alex mansplaining thing. He talked for like one sentence after Abby said "Bayonetta is bad for women" despite not playing it herself. Maybe it would be different if she was more familiar with the game and he said something.

Gooood dammit! My premium ran out and my internet is garbage, so instead of downloading videos I was in the middle of watching, I saved the download URLs in hopes of being able to continue them. Got a big old error message which is pretty funny:

uJC0Lza.png

I'll just have to download the crappy quality ones in the future and hope that they DL in time.

This was a heads up in case someone is in a situation like me!

Son I'm proud of you. Stream for a little longer next time!

I'm definitely going to tinker with some settings and try to stream again soon!

Alex seems like the least likely person on the site to "mansplain." Are people actually complaining about that?

Lol that's how I feel too. There was a little discussion earlier, not a huge deal. Finally got to that part of the podcast.

I'm more surprised people weren't outraged about him not caring about the entire Meteors franchise.

he's right

killroy87

Watching UPF, and I'm probably projecting here, but Ben really is sassy towards Rorie. If they were two dudes I'd never seen before, I'd totally assume Ben doesn't like him

Alex seems like the least likely person on the site to "mansplain." Are people actually complaining about that?

I'd agree but he was the least likely person but he did it. It was minor and nothing big at all but he suggested Abby wasn't aware of what she was talking about in regards to feminist issues when she was.

I don't think there's been any huge complaints but at the same time I think it was a good reminder to listen to people who are directly affected by issues before you make your point.

Alex is rad, I just think he kinda slipped up like anybody can kinda slip up when they're talking about something.

Mr. F

Banned
Watching UPF, and I'm probably projecting here, but Ben really is sassy towards Rorie. If they were two dudes I'd never seen before, I'd totally assume Ben doesn't like him

Rorie's bluntness comes off a bit antagonistic/mean spirited sometimes, its probably easy to pick up

I'd agree but he was the least likely person but he did it. It was minor and nothing big at all but he suggested Abby wasn't aware of what she was talking about in regards to feminist issues when she was.

I don't think there's been any huge complaints but at the same time I think it was a good reminder to listen to people who are directly affected by issues before you make your point.

Alex is rad, I just think he kinda slipped up like anybody can kinda slip up when they're talking about something.

I didn't read the conversation that way at all. Abby admitted herself that she hasn't played the games/doesn't know the character and Alex clearly wasn't trying to dismiss her criticism.

We should always listen to people but we also need to give them enough space to argue reasonable positions without being labeled "mansplainers."

BTA

So I'm still very slowly playing Pyre, sorta unintentionally so- I'd meant to play through it fairly quickly but instead I've played it like once or twice a week in bursts.

But as a result I've just kept thinking about it for most of the week and I sorta appreciate that because, well, I think this might be becoming one of my favorite games? I enjoy so much about it and its structure and setting and narrative and how its mechanics are tied into all that and in particular love just about every character in a way that even most well-written games maybe get me to feel about a few characters if they're lucky.

Oh, and also the music is fantastic.

It's unfortunate that I don't think it's going to be talked about much at GOTY. But holy shit, even with what i've played alone (which is still missing a lot of big stuff, like Automata- I'm hoping to get to it by the end of the year but I need to actually finish Nier anytime soon for that) this year has had some of my favorite games of all time. It truly is the best time to be playing video games.

...next year's probably gonna suck game-wise, right?

Zero315

Banned
Dan: Did you spill it on your crotch?
Vinny: Well it dripped down my belly.
Dan: Yeah, but do you have a wet stain on your crotch now from the coffee?!
Jeff: Don't... Stop getting so excited about that.
Alex: Yeah, why are you into that?

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I didn't read the conversation that way at all. Abby admitted herself that she hasn't played the games/doesn't know the character and Alex clearly wasn't trying to dismiss her criticism.

We should always listen to people but we also need to give them enough space to argue reasonable positions without being labeled "mansplainers."

And they are talking on uneven grounds. In the end abby is pretty unfamiliar with the games outside of a surface level. Not that there's much more outside the surface when it comes to Bayonetta.

Joeku

So I'm still very slowly playing Pyre, sorta unintentionally so- I'd meant to play through it fairly quickly but instead I've played it like once or twice a week in bursts.

But as a result I've just kept thinking about it for most of the week and I sorta appreciate that because, well, I think this might be becoming one of my favorite games? I enjoy so much about it and its structure and setting and narrative and how its mechanics are tied into all that and in particular love just about every character in a way that even most well-written games maybe get me to feel about a few characters if they're lucky.

Oh, and also the music is fantastic.

It's unfortunate that I don't think it's going to be talked about much at GOTY. But holy shit, even with what i've played alone (which is still missing a lot of big stuff, like Automata- I'm hoping to get to it by the end of the year but I need to actually finish Nier anytime soon for that) this year has had some of my favorite games of all time. It truly is the best time to be playing video games.

...next year's probably gonna suck game-wise, right?

Pyre's at that place for me where the claws it sank into my skin are fusing to my bones now. I am severely torn between replaying it but really not wanting another version of that story; the way it all clicked together for me the particular way it did was everything.

I read the situation as Alex saying "Hey, this is empowerment, she's in control!" Then Abby explaining that the agency for Bayonetta's sexuality is determined by men for other folks to salivate over.

With that said maybe you should ask the person directly affected by the media why they feel that way before giving your own opinion.

demidar

I read the situation as Alex saying "Hey, this is empowerment, she's in control!" Then Abby explaining that the agency for Bayonetta's sexuality is determined by men for other folks to salivate over.

With that said maybe you should ask the person directly affected by the media why they feel that way before giving your own opinion.

Personally speaking I don't really find Bayo sexy, even when she removes most of her clothes. I wonder if it's the same for other people.

Antiwhippy

Personally speaking I don't really find Bayo sexy, even when she removes most of her clothes. I wonder if it's the same for other people.

I mean, sex is a personal thing, but bayonetta exudes sex even if i also don't find her that attractive.

Other than short hair bayonetta. &#128076;&#128076;&#128076;

Alex wasn't "mansplaining" at all. They had a reasonable discussion, albeit on uneven grounds with Abby lacking some context having not played the game (though, not really much to gain even if she had), but that didn't invalidate either's points.

It was a completely innocuous like, what 2 minutes?, discussion.

BTA

Pyre's at that place for me where the claws it sank into my skin are fusing to my bones now. I am severely torn between replaying it but really not wanting another version of that story; the way it all clicked together for me the particular way it did was everything.

I'm nearing the end and have some regrets
I lost the third Liberation Rite, and also sent Jodi immediately as a result of her being the one of the few that were worthy (I'd used her in almost every Rite) that I knew enough backstory stuff about to feel comfortable not seeing more on that front, but I wanted to spend much more time with her as a character...
but similarly don't know if I could play through again.

Just. Damn. Both this and NitW hit me so strongly in incredibly different ways this year.

Alex wasn't "mansplaining" at all. They had a reasonable discussion, albeit on uneven grounds with Abby lacking some context having not played the game (though, not really much to gain even if she had), but that didn't invalidate either's points.

It was a completely innocuous like, what 2 minutes?, discussion.

I never made a big deal about it and have defend Alex in most of my posts for just making a mistake on the matter? My only point was that if a women holds valid feminist critque and a man pushes it aside with "Well it's about empowerment despite me not giving any evidence for it" it's mansplaining

Maybe I'm wrong though.

I mean, sex is a personal thing, but bayonetta exudes sex even if i also don't find her that attractive.

Other than short hair bayonetta. &#55357;&#56396;&#55357;&#56396;&#55357;&#56396;

I think a lot about Bayonetta's design is amazing! I'm genuinely somebody who reviled in how over the top and unapologetic her sexuality was despite not finding her attraction. At the same time when people want to talk about the character critically I think it's hard to think of her as anything beyond a work of exploitation.

Antiwhippy

I never made a big deal about it and have defend Alex in most of my posts for just making a mistake on the matter? My only point was that if a women holds valid feminist critque and a man pushes it aside with "Well it's about empowerment despite me not giving any evidence for it" it's mansplaining

Maybe I'm wrong though.

It's the uneven ground thing. As I've said, there really isn't much else to the surface to bayonetta but it felt more like someone who knows the game vs someone who doesn't know the game.

It's the uneven ground thing. As I've said, there really isn't much else to the surface to bayonetta but it felt more like someone who knows the game vs someone who doesn't know the game.

I just don't think there's enough depth to the character to suggest that somebody who's familiar with the game know any better than somebody who doesn't. You just need to watch one scene with Bayonetta and know what the character's about.

Antiwhippy

I just don't think there's enough depth to the character to suggest that somebody who's familiar with the game know any better than somebody who doesn't. You just need to watch one scene with Bayonetta and know what the character's about.

And i would actually agree with you, but Bayonetta's sex is not just in the cutscenes, but in her very own moves and the qtes that you do. Her character is very baked into the gameplay.

BTA

This Bequest QL is amazing but I'm guessing the reason I originally stopped watching it immediately is that it's actually scaring me a little, especially as it's late.

I'm gonna power through though.

trs1080

Neo Member
Nice going to be watching this. Do you know where I can get more info about this game industry tournament?

Dunno, the guy running it basically said its mostly for testing purposes, only like 30-some people in each game for now. Just figured people might want to know.

Maybe I'm wrong though.

I didn't say you were making a big deal out of it.

But it's also not how the conversation went. Abby said she didn't like and didn't play Bayonetta because it was bad to women, Alex said he didn't really think it was bad to women even though she does indeed have over-the-top sexualization. Abby then brought up how empowerment was a bogus excuse for what she found to be sexualization for a male audience and Alex didn't respond at all. He never actually said it's about empowerment.

Also, I've read Bayonetta to be so over-the-top and surface level that anyone other than a horny teenager would find her ludicrous and a parody of sexualized female leads.

Yeah, I didn't find anything wrong with what Alex said because of the uneven ground thing as you mentioned and that I felt he was just speaking about his opinion, not making a statement(even though it may come off as he did?). I'd love for the BEASTcoast to do a feature on Bayonetta with Abby helming it but if she doesn't want to that's fair enough as well.

e:I just see her as a badass character who's having alot of fun. At the same time, I enjoyed hearing what Abby had to say about the matter.

Joeku

I remember reading a lot of stuff after the fact that highlighted just how not stereotypically Japanese sexy she is. Heels (and other catwalk aesthetic), no huge boobs, big stupid natural hair colour, superhero head:body ratio instead of anime stuff, the ridiculous back-breaking standing pose, etc. She's certainly sexualized to hell and back, but in a very atypical manner compared to usual games out of Japan.
I'm nearing the end and have some regrets
I lost the third Liberation Rite, and also sent Jodi immediately as a result of her being the one of the few that were worthy (I'd used her in almost every Rite) that I knew enough backstory stuff about to feel comfortable not seeing more on that front, but I wanted to spend much more time with her as a character...
but similarly don't know if I could play through again.

Just. Damn. Both this and NitW hit me so strongly in incredibly different ways this year.
See, I really couldn't
let Jodi go early. I kept her until second last (felt appropriate for Volfred there). I knew that she had more story to tell with the pompadour asshole demon guy who was actually an amazing character, but honestly, she just became my rock. Couldn't let her go.

And i would actually agree with you, but Bayonetta's sex is not just in the cutscenes, but in her very own moves and the qtes that you do. Her character is very baked into the gameplay.

Thematically I love Bayonetta, she's 100% exploitation and that's one of my filmy jams. But there's nothing to her beyond that. Her sexuality is consistent through cutscense, gameplay and QTEs without a doubt and it's great! But that means it's also really easy to understand the character.

Abby might have only seen a short amount of footage but that;s still enough to understand the character because everything she does is so consistent no matter if it's gameplay, cutscene or QTE. I just don't think the "someone who knows the game but the other person doesn't" defence holds up.

Edit: Given the post since I started this I just want to state that I think it's okay to state that you like something because it's ludicrous whilst at the same time you can see why she's not great for women in some regards, I just feel like deflecting it with "I don't hold the same view" isn't great.

Top Bottom