• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 was nearly double Xbox One sales in Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpance

Agreed... Xbox One is ahead of 360 sales during the same period.

Beating a severely supply constrained console launch of 8 years ago doesn't really mean much anymore. The playing field has changed, and its performance against its direct competitor should be the most relevant metric of success, first and foremost.

Idk guys, this news doesn't make me happy (hear me out). If the rumors are true and XB1 only sold 150k, that's... not good. I was sort of hoping XB1 sold around 250k, and PS4 had the biggest January ever with 500k, but I guess Sony couldn't move that many PS4's because of supply. Either way, while I like the idea of Sony pulling away, I don't like the idea of MS sales falling off this hard.

I want next-gen install base to keep growing at a ridiculous pace to put these "consoles am doomed" types to rest.

When do the numbers come out?

Tomorrow?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Concentrating on the casuals is why Microsoft is selling half of what Sony is with their gaming focused PS4.

As an owner of both systems and several games for each, MS has more core games out right now for its system, no?

I think $500 has a LOT more to do with it.

The truly crazy part is that this is in the US. Others have pointed this out, but boy, I don't think you can put too fine a point on that. The US was supposed to be MS territory, even with the difference in price, the name recognition is so powerful here. To think that Sony is spread out in so many different countries, so many more than MS, and is dominating roundly in those places too. It's crazy.

Obviously this is news to most of us, but I have to imagine that MS employees have been aware for a while, and there must have been some fires burning around the campus. Very curious to see what this will mean. Obviously they've been parroting this "tiftanfall, titanfall, titanfall" line for the several months, but if that doesn't hit, and hit hard... Some changes definitely have to be on the way.

I welcome a desperate MS. Price cuts, investment in internal studios, and an offering of innovative, rights expanding digital decisions could be a huge PR boon, and they've got an infrastructure to make it happen. We'll see whether or not they can pivot, or if they'll just keep using their current awful PR to drive the device into the ground.

Chobel

From the other thread

So Microsoft's PR headline was Xbox One led game sales in January, while the PR lumps Xbox* together. Meanwhile from that Venturebeat article:
It’s clear gamers are choosing PlayStation as the best place to play with PS4 software sales ranking No. 1 in January, highlighted by strong sales of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, which sold twice as many units on PS4 than any other platform,” Sony spokesperson Guy Longworth said.

This is a lie, not a spin.

Idk guys, this news doesn't make me happy (hear me out). If the rumors are true and XB1 only sold 150k, that's... not good. I was sort of hoping XB1 sold around 250k, and PS4 had the biggest January ever with 500k, but I guess Sony couldn't move that many PS4's because of supply. Either way, while I like the idea of Sony pulling away, I don't like the idea of MS sales falling off this hard.

I want next-gen install base to keep growing at a ridiculous pace to put these "consoles am doomed" types to rest.

Maybe the types were right? Wait and see.

Corto

One thing Microsoft is good at is to quickly react and correct their own missteps. This one though is going to be a tough one to swallow. A price cut this early will infuriate early customers so an extra expense on top of the price cut of an "Ambassador Program" must be added to appease those people. Cut the Kinect won't be possible imo. They bet too much into it as the major differentiator to drop it this soon. Mid cycle? Perhaps with a barebones sku. Right now I can't see them do that.

I wonder how MS are going to react to this.

I wonder if they'll wait it out to see if Titanfall makes a difference or try something else (a price drop or kinectless bundle maybe).

Concentrating on the casuals is why Microsoft is selling half of what Sony is with their gaming focused PS4.
Doing it badly while forgetting early adopters are almost always gamers (even in Wii's case), charging $100 more, for an empirically weaker system is what's hurting them.

Coupled with their marketing issues early on and you get... well this.

An expensive system without a focused market to sell too.

Pennywise

Will the PS4 launch in Japan secure February for Sony worldwide as well?

You can bet on it.
A smaller online shop in Germany said there wasn't a delivery for them now, because Sony was focusing on the US market and the japanese launch.

Only bigger chains like MediaMarkt got their PS4s, they were sold out immediately.

MS spin sounds like they hired Misterxmedia.

Rich!

As an owner of both systems and several games for each, MS has more core games out right now for its system, no?

And why is it that price? Kinect.

I rest my case. If they hadn't gone with Kinect, they would either have a cheaper console or one that was equivalent to the PS4. They fucked up and misread the market totally.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Consoles can be 'not doomed' even if one of them does badly. Did people say consoles were doomed when the WiiU did so badly, or did they point the finger at Nintendo?

If Xbox is doing badly it is entirely down to MS. It is more expensive, less powerful etc. they need to act or it will get worse.

viveks86

I don't see what they have to worry about. If they keep selling at the current rate, they'll be substantially more successful than their previous console. And the 360 was a financial success.

Being #1 is great, but hardly how any given company defines success and failure.

All that is great to rationalize. Doesn't mean a company won't be worried. Do you really think MS doesn't care that they aren't #1? Are you suggesting that a management should be worried only if they are on the brink of failure?

Strongest ever doesn't mean much when put in context, though. The OG Xbox only sold ~20 million units, and the 360 was severely supply constrained in the first few months after launch. Something would have to be terribly wrong for the XB1's launch to not be their strongest ever.

Mortimer told us this was coming a few weeks ago, btw. For those who like to "keep score" regarding the accuracy of our various leakers and insiders.

This can't be repeated enough. The XB1 is selling better than previous Xbox's by default.

Elios83

Sony needs to improve their supply situation, they have basically shipped 300k to the US last month.
Still it might be justified if they're stockpiling a significant amount of units for the japanese launch.
Microsoft...well...a sub 150k month with a full stock situation is definetly disappointing but honestly who is really suprised?
A 500$ machine with inferior specs and inferior versions of multiplatform games....outside of the hardcore fans and the holiday season it was obvious they would be struggling.

Jack_AG

Banned
i9D7TXrzWgU2h.gif

someone posted this earlier if that counts.

This isn't real is it? I mean... this rabbit hole... DAMN!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I welcome a desperate MS. Price cuts, investment in internal studios, and an offering of innovative, rights expanding digital decisions could be a huge PR boon, and they've got an infrastructure to make it happen. We'll see whether or not they can pivot, or if they'll just keep using their current awful PR to drive the device into the ground.

The big question is whether the board will allow them to double down - requiring significant new investment - or they'll have to weather the storm as is.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For what it's worth, XBO software numbers are almost the same as PS4 software. Talking a difference of a few percent.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Remember this little website called VG chartz that we refer now and then? They are so completely off the mark! No wonder Gaf blocks it. I honestly did not see this big a gap! I'm never checking that site again. lol!

The forums are where it's at on VG Chartz. Some of those guys are pretty damned clever with statistics. They've been predicting this all through January.

cripterion

I don't see what they have to worry about. If they keep selling at the current rate, they'll be substantially more successful than their previous console. And the 360 was a financial success.

Being #1 is great, but hardly how any given company defines success and failure.

I agree.
It's funny reading all of these MS is in panic reactions. I remember reading something about the demise of Sony on this very same forum.

It's good that the wheel is spinning, cause as customers we all benefit from it. Wonder who will take a bigger piece of the pie next gen. Nintendo, MS or Sony? A new player in the game would be nice too.

Microsoft needs to drop kinect and get down to $400 like tomorrow. Even that will just lessen the market loss that's coming this gen.

I don't think they'll ever drop Kinect. Kind of like how Nintendo won't drop the Gamepad. You get rid of what makes it unique and then it's just a regular console that doesn't play games as well as PS4. I think MS keeps Kinect but ends up eating at least $50 off the cost of the system. Maybe even throw in a free year of Live.

One thing Microsoft is good at is to quickly react and correct their own missteps. This one though is going to be a tough one to swallow. A price cut this early will infuriate early customers so an extra expense on top of the price cut of an "Ambassador Program" must be added to appease those people. Cut the Kinect won't be possible imo. They bet too much into it as the major differentiator to drop it this soon. Mid cycle? Perhaps with a barebones sku. Right now I can't see them do that.

There won't be a price cut until later this year, and it is probably not even planned yet. They are very likely waiting to see what Titanfall does for them. If it doesn't move anything, then I'm sure they will begin planning for E3.

That said, I got my XBone last week with a $80 savings. Deals are already happening.

I don't think they'll ever drop Kinect. Kind of like how Nintendo won't drop the Gamepad. You get rid of what makes it unique and then it's just a regular console that doesn't play games as well as PS4. I think MS keeps Kinect but ends up eating at least $50 off the cost of the system. Maybe even throw in a free year of Live.

What they need is a new gamepad with a mic built in for voice commands and sell the camera separately.

I bet far more people use voice commands than actual gestures.

I haven't used a single gesture with my xb1 and once in awhile do use the voice command.

Cheech

we know MS must be panicking. I really did not anticipate a collapse this sharp even given the price disparity. Not this soon, at any rate.

Not sure I agree; Mattrick "left" well before launch, and I'm sure this was a significant nail in Ballmer's coffin. The grand promises made in 2001/2002 to the board where this Xbox brand would drive home entertainment as a gaming Trojan horse never really materialized.

Microsoft knew they were beat when Sony put out the machine specs, and then especially 399 out there. They sold this thing on capabilities that required Kinect, whose sole killer app at launch was TV control. And that thing, as owners will verify (and my limited experience) is a piece of barely functional garbage. The software needed another 6 months in the oven, at the very least.

Pretty sure we are getting new marketing, a Kinectless version, and a game for 400 by summer.

The truly crazy part is that this is in the US. Others have pointed this out, but boy, I don't think you can put too fine a point on that. The US was supposed to be MS territory, even with the difference in price, the name recognition is so powerful here. To think that Sony is spread out in so many different countries, so many more than MS, and is dominating roundly in those places too. It's crazy.

Obviously this is news to most of us, but I have to imagine that MS employees have been aware for a while, and there must have been some fires burning around the campus. Very curious to see what this will mean. Obviously they've been parroting this "tiftanfall, titanfall, titanfall" line for the several months, but if that doesn't hit, and hit hard... Some changes definitely have to be on the way.

While I don't think their EU numbers will be Wii U like, they definitely be bad. This may be why a certain someone heading the EU side of things decided to step down.

Akai__

Time for a Xbox One "2nd try" edition, where the console is actually really worth the 500$.

There is no way, that I'm getting a Xbox One now and I refuse to buy a PS4, too.

I hate the industry these days.

Fox Mulder

MS has the better launch lineup, so it's price and maybe specs killing it.

I wish Sony had saved Gran Turismo 6 for the ps4 launch. Forza looks sexy on the xbone, and would have sold me had it not been fucked. I gotta have my shiny car sim fix.

hawk2025

I agree.
It's funny reading all of these MS is in panic reactions. I remember reading something about the demise of Sony on this very same forum.

It's good that the wheel is spinning, cause as customers we all benefit from it. Wonder who will take a bigger piece of the pie next gen. Nintendo, MS or Sony? A new player in the game would be nice too.

Actually, at the "current rate" the Xbox One sold less in January than the equivalent January for the 360.

The "rate" actually implies a larger drop from strong sales in November and December, if you actually take into account the dynamics of the sales instead of just the big chunk of 3 months.

Inversive

More like money hats, money hats and more money hats. Investment in internal studios? hahahaha

Sakura

Am I the only one that doesn't understand the doom and gloom? Aren't both next gen consoles selling better than their previous counterparts?

For the cumulative first 3 months, yes. But Xbox One has sold quite a bit less in its first January than the Xbox 360 did in its first January. I'm pretty sure cumulative sales of the first couple months of the 3DS were higher than the DS too, but we know what happened after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom