• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps4 was nearly double Xbox One sales in Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand all this talk of a 'Kinect free' Xbone SKU. The Kinect is at the heart of the Xbone's philosophy. Much like the WiiU and it's Gamepad I don't understand why people think that MS will abandon this at the drop of a hat.

If they dump Kinect and start trying to slash away at the price to make it comparable to even cheaper than the PS4 it just leaves MS with an under powered console compared to it's direct rival.

The Kinect (love it or loathe it) gives the Xbone a unique selling point and gives the consumer a real alternate to the cheaper and more powerful PS4. If I were MS I'd have done more to lure the family crowd.

"Hey kids lets all gather round the Xbox One and Skype Grandma..., or something"

If your ship is sinking would you rather keep the heart and go down with the ship? Or would you rather drop the heart and survive?

Moongazer

I don't understand all this talk of a 'Kinect free' Xbone SKU. The Kinect is at the heart of the Xbone's philosophy. Much like the WiiU and it's Gamepad I don't understand why people think that MS will abandon this at the drop of a hat.

If they dump Kinect and start trying to slash away at the price to make it comparable to even cheaper than the PS4 it just leaves MS with an under powered console compared to it's direct rival.

The Kinect (love it or loathe it) gives the Xbone a unique selling point and gives the consumer a real alternate to the cheaper and more powerful PS4. If I were MS I'd have done more to lure the family crowd.

"Hey kids lets all gather round the Xbox One and Skype Grandma..., or something"

Well Kinect isn't exactly moving X1 units, so I'm not sure how much of a selling point it currently is. Right now Kinect really needs to do more than be a glorified tv remote for it's value to be justified imo

Ouch.

That was MS' strongest territory, I can't imagine how things are going worldwide. Third console curse strikes again.

To be fair, it's quite reminiscent of the hilarious SONY FAMILY days

Companies love to spin, spin, spin.
I was thinking the same.

It's always hilarious when you see the fans going to extremes to defend how their company would never do that because they are the good guys™ and the other guys are devil worshipers. Not saying every company is exactly the same, but come on.

What's funny about this though is that both consoles are driven by desperation and one just happened to get it right. Xbox is desperate to be profitable to stay open. Sony is desperate for any kind of profit so, even with their crushing debts and whatever else, they managed to create a stronger console with a cheaper price tag, probably because they were willing to sacrifice the peripheral, much like a wolf biting off its own limb to get out of a trap and save itself.

"A wolf stuck in a trap; it'll chew its own leg off to survive. C'mon! The Kinect's powder; just gimmicks and potential keepin' it here! ...Do it! Cut it now!"

Oddly, I don't think this means Sony will hold back some at E3. If this trend continues until E3, I think they go for the knockout punch to try to keep Microsoft from recovering.

KageMaru

Congrats to Sony on the success. The ps4 is their best designed console since the ps1 imo and the sales are well deserved.

ye syes n yes. sumer at leariest tho. cee how ##s stand in May

Awesome. That's how it should've always been.

Anyway, I think MS is not going to be so successful. After all, the PS4 is already sold at $400 and by then (let's say July), they could put a $349 price tag. That would hurt MS, no doubt.

Another thought: Titanfall is a big system seller, no doubt, but the fact the game is on PC and 360 too will make it not so big as MS think... possibly.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oddly, I don't think this means Sony will hold back some at E3. If this trend continues until E3, I think they go for the knockout punch to try to keep Microsoft from recovering.

Yep, I'd have to agree. Sony have them on the ropes and I doubt they're going to let them recover that easily.

What's funny about this though is that both consoles are driven by desperation and one just happened to get it right. Xbox is desperate to be profitable to stay open. Sony is desperate for any kind of profit so, even with their crushing debts and whatever else, they managed to create a stronger console with a cheaper price tag, probably because they were willing to sacrifice the peripheral, much like a wolf biting off its own limb to get out of a trap and save itself.

MELTDOWNS!! SO DELICIOUS!!!

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
That attach-rate though... Unless there were significant xbox releases I wasn't aware of, it's kinda worrying that the xbox customer is still more willing to spend more on software.

A differentiator only matters if it's useful and people want it. Where's the Kinect software? Where is the Kinect software people care about? At this point it's an extra $100-$150 tacked on to navigate the UI, which is ridiculous.

There's, umm, Xbox Fitness and Kinect Sports Rivals.

I get your point, but MS really have nothing else going for them if they drop Kinect. There's no other feature of the X1 they can use as a bonus or value add over the PS4 and Wii U. Dropping it is the ultimate I'm short termist thinking.

Lower price will do more to move consoles than a superfluous differentiator will. Of course, they could always cut the price and keep the Kinect, but I'm not sure MS would do that.

A price drop with Kinect or bundles seems more sensible to me.

I agree. They've been trying to push the 'value' proposition over the power difference but if they drop Kinect, they'll have lost their only differentiating factor. Couple that with that 8% gained by allowing develops to opt out of snap and Kinect functionality and you have the biggest 180 ever to grace the console business. And what about all those people that where forced to buy a Kinect when they didn't want one? All of this AND multiplatform games will STILL be better on the 'similarly' priced PS4.

Europe has gone, Japan will follow and it looks like US is going.

Exactly. They literally cannot afford to drop Kinect. It's their only plus compared to the competition. v

Syrus

Banned
I think Titanfall being on 360 will hurt the X1. IT doesn't push a huge reason to buy the X1 if you have the 360.

I do expect a much bigger hardware sale number though. I hope

Awesome. That's how it should've always been.

Anyway, I think MS is not going to be so successful. After all, the PS4 is already sold at $400 and by then (let's say July), they could put a $349 price tag. That would hurt MS, no doubt.

Another thought: Titanfall is a big system seller, no doubt, but the fact the game is on PC and 360 too will make it not so big as MS think... possibly.

You're high if you think Sony will drop the price of the PS4 this year. They won't even drop it next year. Why the hell would they ? They can't keep them on shelves @ $400 !

By your logic Sony might as well drop the price of the PS4 to $200 so they can sell 10X more than XBone.

How can people buy that stuff about the Kinect being part of the Xbone's 'philosophy'? It was always ever just another symptom of Microsoft crawling up it's own ass with this bullshit they've been peddling for the last few years with the 360.

At least they can fix the Kinect thing. The ill-designed hardware is another matter, let's not forget that the BOM cost of the Xbone sans Kinect is still higher than the PS4.

This generation was always going to be a bloodbath, but only Sony was ready. It's time to for Microsoft to diskinect or get wrecked.

Pain

Banned
By now people still talking shit about Kinect simply haven't used it and are talking out of their ass and/or simply have no intention to buy an XB1 to begin with. Generally speaking anyway. The device definitely is at the heart of the console, not that that excuses the inferior hardware.

I think these sales have far less to do with anything else other than price points. The economy isn't favourable. At $500 and only available in 13 country the consumer is more likely to go with the cheaper, more widely available competitor. Unfortunately familiar names here are simply fuelling their posts with console war bullshit to interpret that as some wide sweeping resistance towards Microsoft or whatever the fuck.

Maybe they used their heads are realized the camera isn't essential?
Limb =/= Camera

I wonder if they drop Kinect and add more horsepower to the console?

Either way, the horse is out of the barn it seems....and Microsoft will need to be playing catch up. (Not that they can't achieve parity or anything, but it going to take some resources)

Honestly adding more power would be a death warrant. The system would need to go through R&D again adding massive costs and delays, while also ditching the entire userbase that already bought into the Xbone.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Unless they combined the 360 and xbone numbers, in which case: LOL...

That attach-rate though... Unless there were significant xbox releases I wasn't aware of, it's kinda worrying that the xbox customer is still more willing to spend more on software.

viveks86

Pretty sure we are getting new marketing, a Kinectless version, and a game for 400 by summer.

They better do it immediately!

BgX8cc-CcAA6hQ7.png

BigDug13

You're high if you think Sony will drop the price of the PS4 this year. They won't even drop it next year. Why the hell would they ? They can't keep them on shelves @ $400 !

They won't initiate any price moves since they're on top and demand exceeds supply. But if PS4's start lingering on store shelves and MS makes an aggressive price move, Sony will definitely follow.

Rozart

I read "Japan" instead of "Jan" like 4 times and was confused as fuck.

Haha, same here.

But anyway, these are NPD figures, right? Just-- wow. Very, very impressive. Really curious to see how much more of the American marketshare Sony manages to gain back this gen.

Hasney

Ouch.

That was MS' strongest territory, I can't imagine how things are going worldwide. Third console curse strikes again.

I was thinking the same.

It's always hilarious when you see the fans going to extremes to defend how their company would never do that because they are the good guys™ and the other guys are devil worshipers. Not saying every company is exactly the same, but come on.

Maybe it's just Phil Harrison that is the devil?

No, but seriously, I hate PR marketing double speak. Do people actually fall for their spin, or do they just do market research to suggest they do so they invent a job for themselves?

Nintendo have seen the light and won't do it this gen though
they can't even spin those numbers

Sydle

Maybe they used their heads are realized the camera isn't essential?
Limb =/= Camera

Probably had a lot more to do with the feedback from developers which they used to design the system. I doubt very many of them said they really wanted motion control input.

MS took that approach to design 360. It's astonishing how a little bit of success in NA and the UK took them off that path. Hopefully this all stings so much they won't forget it again.

They won't initiate any price moves since they're on top and demand exceeds supply. But if PS4's start lingering on store shelves and MS makes an aggressive price move, Sony will definitely follow.

Did MS do anything in the face of aggressive price cutting by Sony on the PS3? I can't seem to recall if they did or not...

Even as a Sony/PS4 fan, I wish things were closer. Monopoly has never lead to anything good.

Helped the PS3 after a dismal first few years, money talks, it made them get their act together and look at the positivity they are getting. Perhaps the sales may serve the Xbox brand well long term, who knows.

Caayn

Even as a Sony/PS4 fan, I wish things were closer. Monopoly has never led to anything good.
Equal sales =/= competition.
MS will be forced to give the consumer more value for their money if they want to stay in the race. And Sony needs to stay ahead of MS and fight for the ground they've conquered. Unless we're going to see PS2 numbers again this generation I wouldn't worry, and if we are than brace yourself for the next generation.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Okay this thread is mostly just gloating and meanness now with less data than the actual NPD thread. So post in there if you are interested. Also I live to serve Aquamarine so mmhm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom