• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

Yopis

Caved and got this. Got it on the Pro because I want to play in the living room. Runs really good so far at a locked 30. I'm playing on the max difficulty... I think it's called extreme...and it's a nice challenge so far. Glad I got it.

Same here caved and got for my Pro.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Loving the game.... but is anyone else experiencing a weird glitch where your guy suddenly wont go into cover anymore?

Like itll be working fine then all of a sudden he just wont snap to cover anymore. Standing, crouching, different environment and types of cover... doesn't matter. Restarting the game fixes it temporarily, then it just starts happening again. I can still crouch around use the cover just as an obstacle... but he wont stick to it. Its weird, I've played for almost an hour without it working then ill restart but it happens again eventually.

Weetrick

Just started the game tonight and made it through the first province with my buddy. We had a blast. Neither of us bought this expecting groundbreaking, GOTY material so we aren't disappointed so far. I'm hoping it keeps us interested (and gets support) for a long time!

I did find a glitch where my hud completely disappeared. I couldn't see my radar, ammo or markers above teammate/enemies. Settings wouldn't help. I had to quit and come back in for it to fix. Annoying.

unrealist

It's really quite expensive on PC (in my country) and wondering if it is worth it as a solo player or joining public games? My friends are all playing LOL and DOTA now .. i know.

Most YouTube reviews I seen complain about the world size, which is overly huge - aka repeating the same stuff over again.

My last Tom Clancy game was The Division and somehow it didn't click for me, the DZ etc. I enjoyed Rogue Spear though.

I played a couple long sessions with different friends in the past two days and am really happy with how this turned out after liking the betas a lot. My friends and I are playing on extreme difficulty and its a pretty satisfying and sometimes challenging experience for us. If you aren't careful you get put down quick and I find the enemy AI is pretty competent once they get alerted.

I flew around to some of the other provinces on my own tonight to see the diversity of terrain and how some of the other enemy encounters are laid out and came away pretty impressed. I spent some time just watching enemy AI behavior in situations where they are unaware of your presence and there is some pretty cool variety in their patrol routes and daily behaviors impacted by the day/night cycle. The map and environment are really a technical marvel and visuals in this game are sneaky good at times that standout in places even after playing a lot of Horizon Zero Dawn in the past week.

As huge fan of the series going back to OGR I can say they definitely managed to capture the essence of what was great about the co-op aspect of Ghost Recon for my friends and I. People who got caught up in the "Ubisoft formula" part of this I think were overreacting as most of the stuff that appears on the map is purely optional, but also worth doing for the added benefits to gameplay and your strategic choices. Like someone said in the thread earlier, you can prob beat the entire game with the first 2 or 3 weapons even on the highest difficulty.

Also have to give Ubi props on the production values on video clips that support the story and the little briefings you get from your CO when you enter new provinces. I think opening cutscene with the helicopter ride into Bolivia is pretty low quality compared to most of the other stuff Ive seen and heard so far. It's by no means a groundbreaking narrative but I like the context behind a lot of the missions outside the first province that I've done so far.

Again the caveat is that playing this coop with friends elevates the fun factor exponentially since you cant rely on the sync shot crutch and so much random nonsense happens that is hilarious. I can see how it can get monotonous playing solo and wouldnt recommend it unless you can find people to play along with.

The only stuff I dont like so far is:
-the radio is realllllllllllllly annoying and is seemingly everywhere. They have to at least add an audio option to toggle it off by default in vehicles since they give you that choice. I will settle for that as a compromise if they are contractually unable to go any further with the options to turn it off completely
-the annoying stories from your AI teammates even when they arent there and you are playing with only other humans, please add an option to disable/mute this chatter
-the plane controls desperately need a way to control yaw as its way too difficult to turn without this
-the marking materials for the rebels should be shared for all players in coop so its not required from each person to drop a tracker in a drum of gasoline, please patch this in
-the tone of the story bits bouncing back and forth from serious to humorous. I dont mind the squad chatter going there as thats realistic for this kind of op, but some of the stuff in the video packages which is supposed to be briefing material has cringey stuff in there that is pretty out of place

Foxxsoxx

From my time with Redbox I definitely enjoyed it. Played around 5 or 6 hours but definitely can't understand why most open world developers think the best approach to mission design is to copy/paste 3 mission types and implement them into every single mission. Don't get me wrong they're fun but you notice real quick the gameplay loop here.

It's a fun janky time, definitely worth it for co-op shenanigans but it definitely is a Ubisoft game.

Belker

I've been playing a bit more on extreme with minimal HUD. I like it, but one of the things that's bugging me (and that Sparrows pointed out) is that I'd like to be able to customise the HUD in more detail, in particular the minimap.

Right now the minimap is on or off. If it's on, then I will see enemies as dots on it. But I don't want that. What I want the minimap for is to see a compass and the position of my squad mates.

I want the minimap to make it less difficult to play as a team, not easier to complete missions. I feel like i need a full squad for zero-HUD and then we'd have to spend bandwidth thinking more about our relative positions - creating a shared mental map - that we'd actually want to.

I'd feel less like this if the controls were consistently sharp and framerate smooth. On Xbox ONe the technical issues are always tugging at your sleeves just a little bit. I can't help but feel that PC/PS4 Pro players have the best experience.

On the plus side, things like this happen:

https://gfycat.com/TameWeeklyHerald

v1lla21

The amount of shenanigans that arise is worth the $60 imo. Just incredibly fun to fuck around with buddies. Even watching and scoping out the place is pretty fun as you try and learn routes or a better strategy. We're only into the second area and the difficulty definitely spiked up. I was trying to Rambo it like I was in the opening area and it's not working out at all. Time for Tactical Ghost Bros.

FatalT

Banned
From my time with Redbox I definitely enjoyed it. Played around 5 or 6 hours but definitely can't understand why most open world developers think the best approach to mission design is to copy/paste 3 mission types and implement them into every single mission. Don't get me wrong they're fun but you notice real quick the gameplay loop here.

It's a fun janky time, definitely worth it for co-op shenanigans but it definitely is a Ubisoft game.

Out of curiosity, have you played Horizon: Zero Dawn?

Freeman76

I just watched the trailer and was like WTF THIS IS NOT GHOST RECON I USED TO PLAY?!?!

Looks really good, will have to read some reviews as I dont 'get' it. I mean its a 4 player squad, in an open world, looks like The Division got freaky with Spec Ops lol.

Well im back to constantly crashing on PC :( sometimes just opening up the map does it. Hope they release a patch soon and nvidia drops a new driver. Until then im gonna stay away from the game as it kills the mood. Im also surprised that a single hit from the underbarel grenade launcher can bring down a chopper but im not complaining its fun as hell bringing chopers down.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'm not sure "Reinforcements" adequately describes what happened here.

YYmDRRe.jpg

Another fun experience was when I called in a rebel vehicle drop(helicopter) and he dropped it right on top of me, instantly killing me.

Man the Ghost Recon Network website is janky.. now it doesn't even show that I'm in the Task Force.. that I made! Sheesh. Hopefully they get the bugs worked out, as it seems like a cool thing to have for meetups/etc.

Loving this game so far though.. another fun night of co-op. Need to try and get 4 going at the same time!

Belker

Man the Ghost Recon Network website is janky.. now it doesn't even show that I'm in the Task Force.. that I made! Sheesh. Hopefully they get the bugs worked out, as it seems like a cool thing to have for meetups/etc.

Loving this game so far though.. another fun night of co-op. Need to try and get 4 going at the same time!

Actually, I've been meaning to ask if anyone wants me to set a weekly event for WildlandsGAF. The more options for people to get together the better, but it's stable at least. Another website I go to has a Friday game+beer evening which is always popular.

(Saying that, when I had a question for Xbox support the guy I spoke to hadn't heard of Xbox Live clubs. He thought I had a problem with sports game and had to speak to a supervisor to find out what it is.)

Tecnniqe

Banned
It's really quite expensive on PC (in my country) and wondering if it is worth it as a solo player or joining public games? My friends are all playing LOL and DOTA now .. i know.

Most YouTube reviews I seen complain about the world size, which is overly huge - aka repeating the same stuff over again.

My last Tom Clancy game was The Division and somehow it didn't click for me, the DZ etc. I enjoyed Rogue Spear though.
Well it's not that expensive on key sites like Greenmangaming or gamesplanet and such.

Saying that it's nothing like Division.
If you'll like the game or not I don't know but it's not overly big, some missions spans from a zone to another and it's pretty cool.

Bollocks

What happens if I destroy a jammer then join a friend who hasn't yet destroyed this jammer?
Can I deploy my drone while my friend can't?

SlickVic

I get the feeling this game is going to become a guilty pleasure for me. I can understand some of the flaws and criticisms people bring up, but at the end of the day, I really like finding enemy strongholds on the map and figuring out the best way to take them down quietly. I mess it up a lot of times, but it's kind of fun switching to guns blazing in those moments to try to salvage the situation. Having a large open world filled with these types of encounters is pretty exciting.

Also can't help but get a little 'Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction' vibe playing this. Granted it's been over a decade since I last played that game, but I remember really enjoying what I played of it.

Dervius

Also can't help but get a little 'Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction' vibe playing this. Granted it's been over a decade since I last played that game, but I remember really enjoying what I played of it.

IT really is a modern Mercenaries, with all of the positive and negative connotations that has.

It's glorious.

I've got an Nvidia code for this game for a GTX 1080. PM if you're interested.

I'm drowning in Zelda and Horizon so last thing I need is another gigantic open-world game :')

Edit: Sold!

Reiterating, but this game is fun in co-op. As soon as you get even a single partner in there it opens up so much. Not only in terms of approach, but in the variety of sheer madness that can occur as the squad moves through the map. The game is so hands off in its presentation of most of the missions that you're free to be as ridiculous as you want and oftentimes the factions will respond with escalating violence well beyond whatever you were tying to do. The rebels are especially great at making a mess and/or saving you with random patrols and/or planned distractions. Speaking of factions, the Santa Blanca outposts, Unidad patrols, and rebels all combined with the map scale and terrain layout create a kind of cycle of spontaneous firefights and down time that I enjoy. You can find yourself very quickly going from enjoying the massive vistas, to screwing up a rebel mission and chasing down the vehicle you needing to tag, which ends up going off the road and down a cliff only a few feet from an enemy outpost. Then suddenly a stealth mission becomes a big 3 way shootout on a mountainside road with minimal cover and traffic jammed in both directions. When multiple players are involved in this, each scrambling for a vehicle and drawing enemy fire in different directions, it's hilarious.

One thing I do want to point out though, and it's something a lot of games get wrong, is that Ubisoft missed a chance here for something more with the presentation. They undercut the map design and day/night cycle atmospherics by playing to the goofier side of things in voice acting, writing, radio adverts, overproduced mission briefings, etc. I would really like to see this game done with a harder, crime-thriller style edge to it, like an Elite Squad/Elite Squad 2, like a Sicario. Strip back all the way-too-long dialogue, and play up the danger more. Let the sound effects and music speak. You can see them aiming for the Juarez convoy sequence from Sicario at points (pointing out the hanging bodies on a long drive to a mission, for example), but that vibe should be there all the time. Like unless you're going to fill the radio with tons and tons of dialogue ala Grand Theft Auto, just find a bunch of great music to set the scene instead of risking these weird skits repeating over and over. Same for these random 3 minute conversations that loop from the AI squad mates. Just put that stuff in a cutscene and let the tension speak during gameplay.

Two questions:

1) When playing with controller, how do you switch which shoulder the camera is over in 3rd person?

2) ELI 5 these helicopter controls, because they arent making sense to me.

Reiterating, but this game is fun in co-op. As soon as you get even a single partner in there it opens up so much. Not only in terms of approach, but in the variety of sheer madness that can occur as the squad moves through the map. The game is so hands off in its presentation of most of the missions that you're free to be as ridiculous as you want and oftentimes the factions will respond with escalating violence well beyond whatever you were tying to do. The rebels are especially great at making a mess and/or saving you with random patrols and/or planned distractions. Speaking of factions, the Santa Blanca outposts, Unidad patrols, and rebels all combined with the map scale and terrain layout create a kind of cycle of spontaneous firefights and down time that I enjoy. You can find yourself very quickly going from enjoying the massive vistas, to screwing up a rebel mission and chasing down the vehicle you needing to tag, which ends up going off the road and down a cliff only a few feet from an enemy outpost. Then suddenly a stealth mission becomes a big 3 way shootout on a mountainside road with minimal cover and traffic jammed in both directions. When multiple players are involved in this, each scrambling for a vehicle and drawing enemy fire in different directions, it's hilarious.

One thing I do want to point out though, and it's something a lot of games get wrong, is that Ubisoft missed a chance here for something more with the presentation. They undercut the map design and day/night cycle atmospherics by playing to the goofier side of things in voice acting, writing, radio adverts, overproduced mission briefings, etc. I would really like to see this game done with a harder, crime-thriller style edge to it, like an Elite Squad/Elite Squad 2, like a Sicario. Strip back all way-too-long dialogue, and play up the danger more. Let the sound effects and music speak. You can see them aiming for the Juarez convoy sequence from Sicario at points (pointing out the hanging bodies on a long drive to a mission, for example), but that vibe should be there all the time. Like unless you're going to fill the radio with tons and tons of dialogue ala Grand Theft Auto, just find a bunch of great music to set the scene instead of risking these weird skits repeating over and over. Same for these random 3a minute conversations that loop from the AI squad mates. Just put that stuff in a cutscene and let the tension speak during gameplay.

110%.
Game shines when the ambient takes over.

1) When playing with controller, how do you switch which shoulder the camera is over in 3rd person?

Click right stick. Once in over the shoulder RB changes shoulders.

2) ELI 5 these helicopter controls, because they arent making sense to me.

Hit the shoulder buttons in a vain hope you have separate yaw control.

Left stick forward and back controls the pitch. For fast level flight push the left stick forward part way and squeeze the right trigger. To gain altitude pull back on the left stick in proportion to how close the mountainside is that you don't want to hit.

There is a game hint to let go of throttle to make a sharp turn and it is fairly useful in avoiding that mountainside.

If you push LS all the way forward you will descend quickly.

In many ways it feels closer to actual helicopter flight dynamics than other similar games except that real helicopters are a lot more powerful and react a lot quicker to rotor pitch (left stick) and power/blade-pitch (triggers) changes. (Have been a passenger in helicopters flown interestingly but am not a pilot)

Give me yaw controls and a reticle for the miniguns/rockets goddamnit.

Here is Belker's entirely successful attempt at wing walking (with bonus Cobra tail glitch).

I think cockholster should be reclaimed! Who doesn't feel a manly swagger when they put their cock away from doing its various cockly duties (such as drying towels and hammering nails).

Gaz_RB

One thing I do want to point out though, and it's something a lot of games get wrong, is that Ubisoft missed a chance here for something more with the presentation. They undercut the map design and day/night cycle atmospherics by playing to the goofier side of things in voice acting, writing, radio adverts, overproduced mission briefings, etc. I would really like to see this game done with a harder, crime-thriller style edge to it, like an Elite Squad/Elite Squad 2, like a Sicario. Strip back all the way-too-long dialogue, and play up the danger more. Let the sound effects and music speak. You can see them aiming for the Juarez convoy sequence from Sicario at points (pointing out the hanging bodies on a long drive to a mission, for example), but that vibe should be there all the time. Like unless you're going to fill the radio with tons and tons of dialogue ala Grand Theft Auto, just find a bunch of great music to set the scene instead of risking these weird skits repeating over and over. Same for these random 3 minute conversations that loop from the AI squad mates. Just put that stuff in a cutscene and let the tension speak during gameplay.

Hell yeah dude. I'll be on this weekend we should play.

This game man. I did coop last night with a friend and we tried to storm a unidad area. As soon as we got caught we were getting lit up. We found cover and took some out but they managed to call for help. We were up a shits creek. Then to our luck some rebels join the fight and we had a full blown war with thier help.

Basketball

Man the squad banter sucks so much

I hate all the voices and jokes

The female voice actress for the main character is mega trash. Jesus Christ the throw grenade line and her interrogation dialouge.
Don't get me started on the shitty radio DJ and music.

Turning the voice audio off makes the game 20x better.

Mr.Fresh

Jesus, this game is so fun to play with my friends! But it's also so hard to get around this very annoying NAT type: Strict or NAT type: offline. I have comcast as my isp and literally only Ubisoft games (For Honor & Ghost Recon) do this for me. Can someone help me out here?

Jesus, this game is so fun to play with my friends! But it's also so hard to get around this very annoying NAT type: Strict or NAT type: offline. I have comcast as my isp and literally only Ubisoft games (For Honor & Ghost Recon) do this for me. Can someone help me out here?

Enable upnp on your router configuration and it should change your nat type. Hopefully that works. Had that happen to me in R6S.

nOoblet16

You spend minutes marking and taking out odd enemies here and there and then a random unidad patrol comes and fucks everything up....happens so much !

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Do we know what causes the bug where your character stops sticking to cover?

It happens to me every two hours and I need to quit the game and reboot it to fix.

I've got an Nvidia code for this game for a GTX 1080. PM if you're interested.

I'm drowning in Zelda and Horizon so last thing I need is another gigantic open-world game :')

I should reiterate it's for EU and 1070/1080 only! Couple of you reacted and lacked that info :)

Edit: sold!

Game is a lot of fun even as single player. I love the sync shot feature, not sure why so many people on GAF are hating on it. It makes me feel like a badass.

calder

Game is a lot of fun even as single player. I love the sync shot feature, not sure why so many people on GAF are hating on it. It makes me feel like a badass.

I really enjoyed the alpha and beta (with some quibbles) and I'm sure I'll end up biting on the game too. I also played it entirely as a single player game and liked it - it's a weird little thing but the thing about sync shot I liked the most was the slight delay between shots, like how one guy would get sniped and his buddy would have a second to go "what the fuck" before he got tagged too. Not sure why it cracked me up.

Im still a bit on the fence about this game but did they ever fix the issue where when one guy spots you, it alerts the entire base to your exact location?

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I've heard this is a poor man's MGS TPP, which strangely has piqued my interest.

How is it for solo play? I'd be playing on PC, and all my friends are on Xbox and are always uninterested in it.

I've heard this is a poor man's MGS TPP, which strangely has piqued my interest.

How is it for solo play? I'd be playing on PC, and all my friends are on Xbox and are always uninterested in it.

I chose the Xbox One version over the PC version for this very reason but anyways once you max out the Stamina, Bullet Resistance, and Sync Shot skills playing solo becomes a better experience but with that said the AI squad commands are bare bones with simple group commands (go here, stay, attack, regroup). I'm guessing pathfinding, etc due to the open-world nature of the game was the reason for not offering more in-depth and individual commands.

Point being, it is a much more fun experience playing 2-player co-op for me but the game does seemingly get better solo wise once you start unlocking/maxing out skills.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I chose the Xbox One version over the PC version for this very reason but anyways once you max out the Stamina, Bullet Resistance, and Sync Shot skills playing solo becomes a better experience but with that said the AI squad commands are bare bones with simple group commands (go here, stay, attack, regroup). I'm guessing pathfinding, etc due to the open-world nature of the game was the reason for not offering more in-depth and individual commands.

Point being, it is a much more fun experience playing 2-player co-op for me but the game does seemingly get better solo wise once you start unlocking/maxing out skills.

I'll be waiting on a sale, but might see if someone I know on PC will buy it :p

What is wrong with dem controooools! The driving is terrible but hey it's not GTA but even the character movement is a bit rough. Also does anyone know how to switch shoulder view when aiming? Is this even possible?

Top Bottom