• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I think the Atari Jaguar could easily be a success

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you look how the console was received and positioned back then you'd never claim such an outlandish thing. It makes the 3D0 look like a big deal in comparison.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Lol, Atari's idea of 1st party titles...

Atari 2600 - Asteroids, Breakout, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Missile Command, Warlords, Bezerk, Centipede, Defender, Pac-Man, Galaxian, Pole Position, Ballblazer, Battlezone, Choplifter

Atari 5200 - Super Breakout, Space Invaders, Missile Command, Bezerk, Centipede, Defender, Pac-Man, Galaxian, Pole Position, Ballblazer, Choplifter

CRASH!!!!!

Atari 7800 - Asteroids, Centipede, Ms. Pac-Man, Pole Position II, Ballblazer, Choplifter

Atari Jaguar - Tempest 2000

Mmm, I think there might be a pattern here...;)

Fixed it a little :)

I thought Rayman 1 was mediocre even at the time. I don't see how it could have helped the Jaguar much. It might be a top 5 Jaguar game, but I don't think it would even rank among the top 50 Genesis games or top 100 SNES games.
I wouldn't go that far; yes it has its flaws (like any game), but I think it'd be in the upper half list of "best ofs" for either system, though it would vary a good bit if just focusing on platformers.

Especially just for the visuals alone, let alone the music. And difficulty-wise it isn't too much more than Genesis and SNES platformers a bit on the more challenging side. It's not Ghouls n' Ghosts levels of difficult, for example.

...the fuck outta here LOL! No way....

LoveCake

I wonder if it's mint condition, unopened?

"Enjoy a superior gaming performance, with the Atari Jaguar video game console that features a 64-bit RISC architecture processor. This Atari gaming system integrates a 32-bit RISC architecture GPU to ensure immersive visual output. Lose yourself in your game, as this stereo-capable video game console delivers excellent sound effects. The joystick control of this Atari gaming system gives you all the liberty to make precise movements. With the 64-bit internal registers, the Atari Jaguar video game console opens up more gaming possibilities.
SKU:ADIB002A96PI0

Added on March 01, 2016"

Celine

So the Jaguar couldn't even chart?
It did chart
in the correct graph

tgzW0hF.jpg

Fixed it a little :)

This doesn't change the big issue. All of these that I recognize are arcade-ish titles with basically little notion of meaningful progress. The sort of title that basically proceeded to die out for a while, until downloads brought it back.

This is a fairly bigger problem than it appears because it looks like it influenced the entire system design. If I remember correctly, Jag dev kit manuals are somewhere online, and at one point say that "cartridge may have a battery-backed memory for high score storage". This was their idea of what saves are for. There was something similar in Master System dev manual, but it was two generations before Jag, so it's sort of more understandable.

Alebrije

3DO got Japanese support, as 2 of the 3 manufacturers were Japanese companies. They got Policenauts from Konami, Super Street Fighter II Turbo from Capcom, anime games from Bandi, and a few Japanese only RPG.

3DO died because manufacturers did not want to lose money on every console sold hence the high price it had..

3DO hat trash games but also other consoles , also had great games and ports like Street Figther .

Jaguar loked insane since beginning

I bought a Jaguar and it was the dumbest knee-jerk thing I ever did.

The system was too expensive and they did not have a solid third-party.

I even bought Checkered Flag! Man that was dumb.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
3DO died because manufacturers did not want to lose money on every console sold hence the high price it had..

3DO hat trash games but also other consoles , also had great games and ports like Street Figther .

Jaguar loked insane since beginning

3DO launched with junk, and it remained that way until Gex finally arrived. But too little too late, and Street Fighter was a bit further down the line.

There just wasn't enough games to garner interest, and consumers knew bigger, better consoles were on the way. With games that obliterated 3DO's.

mr stroke

I remember saving lunch money to buy one on launch day with AVP thinking I was a bad ass. Then out of no where the Saturn came out :\ then a year later my best friend got a PS1. I was so angry, worst mistake of my childhood

mr stroke

Neither of these franchises were hits on console back then so it matters little.

The big games of the day were missing on Jaguar. No Street Fighter 2, Mortal Kombat 2, Madden Football, Acclaim titles, etc...

Not to mention the first party games weren't even in the same universe as that of Sega and Nintendo.

It's also worth noting it arrived late to the generation. Genesis and SNES were entrenched, and everyone would much rather wait for their successors then bat an eye at anything with an Atari label.

+1

this was the biggest problem. No SF no MK no Madden.

Had Atari launched this prototype first-

(Basically an all in one Jag CD) with those popular games, Atari could of had something

I wonder if it's mint condition, unopened?

"Enjoy a superior gaming performance, with the Atari Jaguar video game console that features a 64-bit RISC architecture processor. This Atari gaming system integrates a 32-bit RISC architecture GPU to ensure immersive visual output. Lose yourself in your game, as this stereo-capable video game console delivers excellent sound effects. The joystick control of this Atari gaming system gives you all the liberty to make precise movements. With the 64-bit internal registers, the Atari Jaguar video game console opens up more gaming possibilities.
SKU:ADIB002A96PI0

Added on March 01, 2016"

Why use Sears when you can use eBay and probably get even more xD?

It did chart
in the correct graph

tgzW0hF.jpg

Same difference pretty much x3.

Also: maybe the only sales graph that makes Saturn look good in comparison to PS1, so that satisfies me.

Jabba

Banned
Mostly forgotten today, Jaguar also had a CD-ROM drive, which combined with a cartridge, rather unfortunately looked like a toilet seat

jagunit.jpg

And if only Jaguar VR got to see the light of the day, we wouldn't have had to wait Palmer Luckey be born and grow up

jaguarheadset.jpg

Got a nice chuckle out of your last part.

It actually could have been, if it wasn't for the DREADFUL hardware. It had the right brand, it was positioned at the right time, and they clearly had a talented marketing team. If Atari had been in slightly better health so as to stave off the panic-releases and corner-cutting in the system itself, it could have really changed the landscape.

Then again, maybe they just would have choked out Sega a generation early.

notBald

See, I'd disagree. As with any system, what killed it was simply very few people actually put their hands in their pockets and bought one. Why? A lot of the same reasons as few people bought 3DO or CD32 at the end of the day:
3DO was way too expensive, but sold quite a lot better than the Jaguar. There was definitely a market there. Had the Jaguar been supported by a stream of 3D games people wanted to play, it would have sold.

As for the CD32, it wasn't widely available and the games didn't look better than what you got on the SNES.
Playstation's launch was just the final nail in the coffin for all three systems. Why buy a cart based Jaguar when you can have a modern 3D Saturn or Playstation? or fit a 3Dfx card in your PC? Or buy Nintendo carts with SuperFX?

Because the PSX and Saturn cost a good bit more, and the SuperFX chip wasn't used that much. The Voodoo came out towards the end of 1996, so it's not relevant until the tail end of the Jaguar's lifespan.

Had the Jaguar been supported by a stream of 3D games people wanted to play, it would have sold.

As for the CD32, it wasn't widely available and the games didn't look better than what you got on the SNES.

Had the Jag been CD based from launch and a little less complex in design I might have agreed. But still, were Atari relevant enough anymore by that point to attract the devs away from the Sega/Nintendo dominated sphere?

As for CD32, it was the right system design probably arriving a year too late, but it had other problems that I've already mentioned.

The 3DO was the best of the bunch system wise, but it was held back by a completely unrealistic business model - much the same as Steam Machines.

I still maintain between SNES, PC, and Saturn none of these systems realistically stood a chance which ever way you cut it.

Havoc2049

With the ST and Lynx in decline and the TT and Falcon bombing hard, Atari didn't have much left in the tank to support the Jaguar. If Atari would have won the Sega lawsuit back in early '93 and if the Jaguar would have been a CD based system, it could have MAYBE been a mild success at best.

I'm a big Atari fan and have been a Jaguar owner since 1993. I've enjoyed the system and have a near complete collection, but wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless you are a hardcore Atari fan or like to collect niche systems.

One cool thing about the Jaguar is that new games are still being released to this day and the community is very knowledgeable and quite active.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
What killed the 3DO and Jaguar was poor Japanese third party support.

This was back when Japan was the king of the hill in console gaming and not having Square, Konami, Capcom, and so on hurt them.

That, and Atari launched a console with no money behind it.

ReyVGM

Ehhhh, no. It didn't get the "UK PS1 best seller ever" badge out of nowhere. It has some insanity that wouldn't fly too easily today without some Souls-like marketing, but blind jumps? What did you play it on, by the way? PC version is fairer but looks a little worse, PS1 version looks better but has a little more insanity in the game, Jag version generally appears to be "less finished" in most aspects. RO/RL was streamlined if anything (though still looks gorgeous).

I've unfortunately played Rayman 1 on the PS, Saturn, GBA, and Jaguar.
Too many times.

It actually could have been, if it wasn't for the DREADFUL hardware. It had the right brand, it was positioned at the right time, and they clearly had a talented marketing team. If Atari had been in slightly better health so as to stave off the panic-releases and corner-cutting in the system itself, it could have really changed the landscape.

Then again, maybe they just would have choked out Sega a generation early.
Not with the software lineup Jaguar had. Rayman and a few other games notwithstanding, the software just wasn't there. Also I don't know if Atari could have courted Japanese devs like Sega, Nintendo and Sony were able to.

Celine

Don't think I'd go that far. Many of the most successful games from the 16-bit era were Western: Mortal Kombat, NBA Jam, Killer Instinct, Donkey Kong Country, EA Sports, Jurassic Park, Aladdin, Earthworm Jim, and so on. All huge sellers. Actually, wouldn't surprise me if Japanese games made up the minority of sales in the US during that era.
Donkey Kong Country and Killer Instinct were published by a japanese publisher (Nintendo).
Publishers are who decide what system get support for.

In 1994 (only considering games who sold more than 10K for NES, SNES, GEN, SCD, 32X) the japanese publishers accounted for about 13.3 million games sold in US.
The rest of the publishers for 17.4 million units.

In today landscape japanese publishers accounting 43.3% of the software units sold in US would be unthinkable.

Note: I attributed Aladdin for Genesis to Virgin although Sega would have been the correct choice.

Lol, Atari's idea of 1st party titles...

Atari 2600 - Asteroids, Breakout, Space Invaders, Asteroids, Missile Command, Warlords, Bezerk, Centipede, Defender, Pac-Man, Galaxian, Pole Position, Ballblazer, Battlezone, Choplifter

Atari 5200 - Super Breakout, Space Invaders, Missile Command, Bezerk, Centipede, Defender, Pac-Man, Galaxian, Pole Position, Ballblazer, Choplifter

Atari XEGS - Ballblazer, Battlezone, Choplifter

Atari 7800 - Asteroids, Centipede, Ms. Pac-Man, Pole Position II, Ballblazer, Choplifter

Atari Jaguar - Tempest 2000

Mmm, I think there might be a pattern here...;)

The Atari that released the Jaguar no longer owned Asteroids, Missile Command, Centipede, Millipede, Pole Position et al, FYI. By then those were owned by Atari Games, not Atari Corporation. Also, by the time of the Jag, Atari Corporation no longer had the money to license titles like Pac-Man and the like.

And FYI Ballblazer was not first party nor was Choplifter.

I've unfortunately played Rayman 1 on the PS, Saturn, GBA, and Jaguar.
Too many times.

Honestly I don't really see why would you play through it so many times when it was so unfortunate. One version, maybe if there was nothing else at home, but four of them?

Not with the software lineup Jaguar had. Rayman and a few other games notwithstanding, the software just wasn't there. Also I don't know if Atari could have courted Japanese devs like Sega, Nintendo and Sony were able to.

Yeah, japanese development was a lot heavier back then, but Atari did have some existing relationships from the pre-NES days. I'm pretty sure Konami and Capcom both had games on Atari systems.

No idea how much they LIKED Atari, or if that ancient history would have counted for anything, but they were in a better position then, say, Microsoft.

hymanator

I remember the Jaguar version of Doom being one of the very worst ports because the system link on it was pure garbage. PS1 did a better job and I never had any random disconnects. Whenever I tried to link a few Jaguar consoles together to play some co-op or deathmatch, we always got disconnected every few minutes. The crazier part was when I looked in the instruction manual, and the devs already knew about the random network errors and basically just said to "deal with it".

BTRCqFICMAAXUJm.jpg:large

Celine

Yeah, japanese development was a lot heavier back then, but Atari did have some existing relationships from the pre-NES days. I'm pretty sure Konami and Capcom both had games on Atari systems.

No idea how much they LIKED Atari, or if that ancient history would have counted for anything, but they were in a better position then, say, Microsoft.
I'm pretty sure Konami and Capcom never published games on Atari systems.
Namco licensed some properties on Atari systems which were actually developed by Atari, for example Ms Pacman and Pole Position.
This isn't different than , say, Namco licensing their game IPs to Epoch for porting the games to the Super Cassette Vision.

Microsoft was in far much better position than Atari Corp. simply because Microsoft could spend billion of dollars to buy support and marketshare.

EDIT:
Mmmh actually Konami published 3 games on Atari 2600, the more one knows...
Capcom licensed Commando to Activision and that's it.
The general point stand.
Atari Corp. consoles (Atari 7800, Lynx and Jaguar) had very weak third-party support and first party software was cheaply made.

Dishwalla

Banned
Frogger was a Konami game, although it was published for 2600 by Parker Bros.

Capcom didn't start publishing home video games until the NES with 1942.

AniHawk

The Jaguar did have some great ports but really not much else. It wasn't even that much more powerful than a Super FX'd SNES.

The biggest problem with the Jaguar is that it came out too late. If it came out in say, 1992, where it was competing against the SNES/Genesis I think it could have done much better. But having to compete against the 3DO, then Saturn/PS1? R.I.P.

cat086002.jpg

We DID do the math, and the math added up to a console being way outdated by 1994/1995.

"Put it this way -- nothing's going to come along to knock Jaguar off the top"

L4TYWQn8rALRu.gif

i never noticed that 'made in the usa' tag for atari there. i'm guessing they were a bit late on catching that early 90s fear of japan.

nkarafo

My Amiga 1200 played doom quite nicely. Plus you had free look on the y - axis.
You must mean your upgraded Amiga 1200. I don't think Doom can run smoothly on a stock 1200 without some kind of accelerator.

The CD32 didn't have this option.

I remember the Jaguar version of Doom being one of the very worst ports because the system link on it was pure garbage. PS1 did a better job and I never had any random disconnects. Whenever I tried to link a few Jaguar consoles together to play some co-op or deathmatch, we always got disconnected every few minutes. The crazier part was when I looked in the instruction manual, and the devs already knew about the random network errors and basically just said to "deal with it".

That's legitimately kind of amazing.

The interference caused by playing a game in hell LOL

Havoc2049

The Atari that released the Jaguar no longer owned Asteroids, Missile Command, Centipede, Millipede, Pole Position et al, FYI. By then those were owned by Atari Games, not Atari Corporation. Also, by the time of the Jag, Atari Corporation no longer had the money to license titles like Pac-Man and the like.

And FYI Ballblazer was not first party nor was Choplifter.

Atari Corp did own the rights Asteroids, Missile Command, Centipede, Tempest, Crystal Castles and many of the old Atari IPs. Atari Games owned every arcade game from about late 1984 (the Gauntlet/Paperboy era) going forward.

The Atari Jaguar had Tempest 2000, Missile Command 3D and Breakout 2000. There were also other retro remakes in the works but never released. Atari also licenced Defender from Williams for Defender 2000.

Atari also licenced Raiden for the Lynx, Falcon and Jaguar.

Atari Corp also had deals with Namco and Tecmo on the Atari Lynx and games like Ms. Pac-man, Pac-Land, Rygar, Ninja Gaiden arcade and Ninja Gaiden III were released on that system.

And if only Jaguar VR got to see the light of the day, we wouldn't have had to wait Palmer Luckey be born and grow up

jaguarheadset.jpg

E3 1995 behind the scenes video: https://youtu.be/fC9ZJWHFjhc?t=738

The headset was pretty ahead of its time for something from 1995. It has an IR tracking system, gyroscope and external CPU. But even though this would have been the cheapest commercial VR headset on the market in 1995, it was still too pricey for Atari to produce. Also the LCD technology and 52 degree FOV was a little bit problematic. But it is still really impressive for what it was, and it was a real VR headset unlike the Virtual Boy.

Top Bottom