• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Fifa 18 partnership goes to Sony?

I don't think FIFA marketing is all that important nowadays since the general public know it's everywhere even on their mobile and iPads. Seeing as this is in Germany too then it makes total sense for that poster to have PS4 on it.

Depends if the marketing deal also means that PS4 will get exclusive content like the X1.
If the Legends FUT cards became a PS4 exclusive, you can see the X1 losing some sales as the FIFA streamers and their audience would probably move to the PS4.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
"checks Sony first / second party release window for the rest of 2017"

Dat fire.

MS and Sony obvious have different strategies but lord do I hate Sonys approach of releasing everything big first party between February and June and then not having anything of note for the rest of the year. Its the opposite of Microsofts "Holiday is main event and everything other month is practice season" approach.

I mean shit. Its only May but already Sony seems tapped out for the rest of the year. But they got Destiny and COD marketing so they will still do fine.

Personally I think it's actually one of their smartest moves. They have the first and "second" party titles that keep the console selling for the first half of the year. For the second half they can rely on third parties advertising, deals, and some exclusive content and don't have to put their big titles against the monster sellers of the year. Compared to Microsoft who shoves what they can out at the end of the year, and then can advertise how they have the best selling console!*

*only counting between oct and dec, only in the us.

I don't know how anyone can think barely doing anything for 7+ months of the year is a good thing.

I don't think FIFA marketing is all that important nowadays since the general public know it's everywhere even on their mobile and iPads. Seeing as this is in Germany too then it makes total sense for that poster to have PS4 on it.

I dunno man that FIFA deal can help you move shit tons of hardware during the holidays imo

Does anyone have a clue how much these marketing deals cost?

The idea you could fund a first party game on the costs seems a little ludicrous.

Does anyone have a clue how much these marketing deals cost?

The idea you could fund a first party game on the costs seems a little ludicrous.

Depends on the scale of your first party game you want to make

CoD is the most expensive marketing deal.
EA Sports annual should be the second most expensive.

And for a 4 or 5 year deal? Sure it is in the 3 digit million

jeffram

I think it's more important later in the generation. As prices come down more casual players will be buying, and they'll gravitate to casual/mainstream game bundles.

you should wait for tomorrow until the official trailer gets revealed to be sure.
wa2zez3cmn1z.jpg

could be a "non or both have the marketing" situation
but right now, i also tend towards sony

cant watch atm but any mention of legends?
not not even the word Fifa

Fifa is EAs biggest game. The EA+Xbox romance was a lot more then money for marketing deals. MS was more open to things EA wanted like DRM early in the gen and later EA access.

Would be rad with as part of securing Fifa marketing, Sony finally grown up and decided to allow EA access on PSN. Sucks that now it wont be as good as the Xbox version since Xbox EA Access includes BC titles but still. There is a decent little library of EA games on PS4.

Seronei

Fifa is EAs biggest game. The EA+Xbox romance was a lot more then money for marketing deals. MS was more open to things EA wanted like DRM early in the gen and later EA access.

Would be rad with as part of securing Fifa marketing, Sony finally grown up and decided to allow EA access on PSN. Sucks that now it wont be as good as the Xbox version since Xbox EA Access includes BC titles but still. There is a decent little library of EA games on PS4.

Maybe we'll get PS2 titles.

Don't think it would be as easy as just saying "we allow it" now. Pretty sure MS would have it locked up tight.

Kolx

EA is doing tons of marketing for Fifa. Having PS4 logo with it doesn't hurt at all. Plus if they have the UT legends deal as MS did before it could sway many people into the PS ecosystem.

Pachimari

So the reveal is tomorrow? Or maybe just a tease and then the full reveal at E3. I wonder what gameplay improvements they're gonna add to the game on the pitch.

EA is doing tons of marketing for Fifa. Having PS4 logo with it doesn't hurt at all. Plus if they have the UT legends deal as MS did before it could sway many people into the PS ecosystem.

Problem is, FIFA already has the majority of sales on PS. In the UK for 17, PS4 had 69% of the sales, rest made up of XB1 PS3 and XB360. Even the market on UT is way larger.

Marketing deals is less about a logo at the end of a ad and more about being the one who can sell it as a console bundle.

Sony has done limit runs of Fifa + PS4 bundles but they have been exactly that. Limited. Anything else has to come at the retailer level but there is never a official bundle.

MS marketing and bundles for Fifa obviously hasnt hurt Sony though.

Marketing deals is less about a logo at the end of a ad and more about being the one who can sell it as a console bundle.

Sony has done limit runs of Fifa + PS4 bundles but they have been exactly that. Limited. Anything else has to come at the retailer level but there is never a official bundle.

MS marketing and bundles for Fifa obviously hasnt hurt Sony though.

Legends is the big thing with FIFA though. If Xbox still has legends exclusive next year then I will be buying an XB1 again just for that.

Doubt we'll see any footage from the Switch version since it's a teaser but would be cool regardless.

Not having a console since the Wii, it feels fun to get wrapped back into getting pumped for sports games again

Problem is, FIFA already has the majority of sales on PS. In the UK for 17, PS4 had 69% of the sales, rest made up of XB1 PS3 and XB360. Even the market on UT is way larger.

hmm nvm. not even correct for first week sales
PS4 takes over 53% of week 1 share despite the presence of the Xbox One S (1TB & 500GB) editions, both of which include a copy of the game. Xbox One still accounts for a healthy share over 40%, while both Xbox 360 and PS3 combine for a 6% share

maybe you mistaken your numbers with the last PES

hmm nvm. not even correct for first week sales

maybe you mistaken your numbers with the last PES

********' William D'Angelo writes: "The football sports game from EA Sports and EA Canada - FIFA 17 - sold 6,906,952 units first week at retail on consoles, according to our estimates. First week sales can be viewed on the ******** Global Weekly Chart for the week ending October 1."

"Breaking down the sales by platform, the game sold best on the PlayStation 4 with 4,772,691 units sold (69%), compared to 1,527,704 units sold on the Xbox One (22%). The game also sold 378,018 units on PlayStation 3 (5%), 175,557 units on the Xbox 360 (3%) and 52,982 units on Windows PC (1%)."

http://n4g.com/news/1974710/fifa-17-sells-an-estimated-6-91m-units-first-week-at-retail

If FUT Legends moves from the XBox One to PS4, it would be interesting to see the effect it has on the Pro and streaming scenes. Almost all big FIFA streamers are on the Xbox and of the 7 big Pro events, Xbox users won 5 of them (including the big Series Final).

If FUT Legends moves from the XBox One to PS4, it would be interesting to see the effect it has on the Pro and streaming scenes. Almost all big FIFA streamers are on the Xbox and of the 7 big Pro events, Xbox users won 5 of them (including the big Series Final).

unlike CoD they would at least not be forced to move, as the FUT championship is played on both platforms anyway.

but this is the one very reason, why those deals are worth it.
get the streamer and pros and try to lure their follower into your platform
and those are in general also big(er) spender

borges

Banned
Fifa sux, it doesnt matter when you read this

Very constructive comment. Now I can rest rest of the day on peace.

As many already commented, a marketing deal would have an impact if it includes exclusive content, like Legends cards or special modes. If not... I mean, anyone knows FIFA is elsewhere at this point.

Turkoop

Banned
I have no numbers for FIFA 17 but one person told me they were totally shocked by the sales and launch, definitely the best Fifa to date (in sales)
I'd estimate ~ 9 million sales. At least.

Chris1

FIFA first week numbers from Bruno (UK)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=218887346&postcount=5
[Week 39, 2007] 02 (NE) FIFA 08 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 298,000 / NEW
[Week 40, 2008] 01 (NE) FIFA 09 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 410,000 / NEW
[Week 40, 2009] 01 (NE) FIFA 10 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 607,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2010] 01 (NE) FIFA 11 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 734,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2011] 01 (NE) FIFA 12 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 866,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2012] 01 (NE) FIFA 13 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 1,100,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2013] 01 (NE) FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 834,000 / NEW (Around 967,000 adding week 47, 2013 PlayStation 4 and Xbox One sales)
[Week 39, 2014] 01 (NE) FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 1,010,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2015] 01 (NE) FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 939,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2016] 01 (NE) FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 1,108,000 / NEW
[Week 47, 2013] 13 (NE) PS4 FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) ~ 20,000 / NEW (It was available one week before PlayStation 4 was released)
[Week 39, 2014] 01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 323,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2015] 01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 423,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2016] 01 (NE) PS4 FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 587,000 / NEW

[Week 47, 2013] 01 (NE) XBO FIFA 14 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 113,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2014] 03 (NE) XBO FIFA 15 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 222,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2015] 02 (NE) XBO FIFA 16 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 338,000 / NEW
[Week 39, 2016] 02 (NE) XBO FIFA 17 (ELECTRONIC ARTS) - 443,000 / NE
W

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
A site called coolshop had recently had listings up for FIFA 18, including a "Ronaldo Edition" and a release date of September 15th.

https://twitter.com/bateson87/status/871720117280944128

...Mh, the Switch cover is identical to the other SKUs. If those listings are correct, then FIFA for Switch is, indeed, FIFA 18.

But I already see there's no Ronaldo Edition for Switch (at least for now), which would be a negative compared to how 2K is treating the Switch version of NBA 2K.

MrS

Banned
How much extra would people pay for a Ronaldo Edition if it gave you a Ronaldo FUT card?

How much extra would people pay for a Ronaldo Edition if it gave you a Ronaldo FUT card?

They'd never give you a permanent Ronaldo for the fact that it would kill his price on the market. Unless they make the edition super expensive like the NBA 2k18 one. It would most likely be a hefty loan card.

Ascenion

They'd never give you a permanent Ronaldo for the fact that it would kill his price on the market. Unless they make the edition super expensive like the NBA 2k18 one. It would most likely be a hefty loan card.

Like I said I'm all for super expensive. It's a luxury good, it not feasible for it to be affordable for everyone.

Top Bottom