• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should MS Moneyhat Virtua Fighter 6?

cuate

Banned
This. Fighting games have turned into a niche genre and aren't worth money hatting anyway. I mean, look how Street Fighter 5 turned out. I absolutely wouldn't moneyhat VF6 if I were MS.

No it hasn't. Injustice 2, Mortal Kombat X and Smash are massive. Tekken 7 did good. DBZ Fighterz will also be huge. Even Ultra Street Fighter II sold half a million. Capcom just fucked up with sf5 and mvci.

amdb00mer

Not sure MS would do it, but I would buy it. Could you imagine if they got Sega to make the game, but Blur to make the CGI intro and endings?

LordRaptor

Why do you call it "listwars"? It is console wars.
Exclusives list is the main deciding point, is it not?

Listwars is a very specific type of console warring.
You have probably seen it. It goes like this;

"Of course x is the best, it is the only place where you can play:
- A game most people care about
- Another game most people care about
- A solid 7/8 game
- eh, okay game
- lists not long enough, ummmmmm some digital only game barely anyone bought
- time to hit wikipedia and just start copy and pasting titles that literally nobody gives a shit about to get this list as long as possible, because the longer the list is the better my argument looks!"

It is often countered by someone else saying
"Nope, y is the best, and here's why:
- does the exact same thing"

hence listwars

Jet Set Radio has a far better chance of both bringing more AAA on the console while attempting to gather Japanese audience. Although I will say, how did the series perform in Japan?

Maximus P

From a business perspective i think it would be a terrible idea. Fighters aren't the best of sellers and i don't think the game would sell many consoles.

However, Microsoft are sorely lacking in exclusive games and if this was the only way that VR would get a release then why not.

Breakage

The Xbox One needs its own Ninja Gaiden Black, ie a killer Japanese game built exclusively for the Xbox. You know the kind of game that makes people think "I have to get an Xbox One for that". Will it happen? I doubt it.

zenspider

No, they should spend the money on new IP single player action games.they have killer instinct. And I dont think ppl find ms first party offering would really benefit from a fighter.

MS should invest in

Perfect dark game
A conker game
Jet force Gemini
Shanghiest
Playground games RPG

It looks like third parties are moving away from single-player AAA and the opportunity is there for first party to really dominate that space. Hell, Bloodborne was the major factor in my PS4 purchase.

That said, a new Jet Force Gemini would get an Xbox in my house within 24 hours of an announcement.

Bickle2

The Xbox One needs its own Ninja Gaiden Black, ie a killer Japanese game built exclusively for the Xbox. You know the kind of game that makes people think "I have to get an Xbox One for that". Will it happen? I doubt it.

Given that Ninja Gaiden 2 failed to do that, no

People keep thinking Japanese games are the key to popularity, they are really, really not when it comes to the mainstream. A hardcore base? Sure. But that base has a PS4, and they aren’t going to switch or supplement for any game that is not final fantasy, and that is never, ever going to happen. Japanese games are important parts of the mix, and many of them sell lots of copies, but this is not a winning formula. They’re already doing the best thing they can do, looking at the games under development in Japan and making strategic investments to ensure Xbox versions of promising titles are launched at the same time, of equal quality, and investing where appropriate.

LordRaptor

It looks like third parties are moving away from single-player AAA and the opportunity is there for first party to really dominate that space. Hell, Bloodborne was the major factor in my PS4 purchase.

Its in Sonys interest to make big budget AAA graphicswhore singleplayer games, but its not really in Microsofts.

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Errr...no, they shouldn't. The series depends on Japan, which Xbox is non-existent in (and this is among other things). So, no.

Breakage

Given that Ninja Gaiden 2 failed to do that, no

People keep thinking Japanese games are the key to popularity, they are really, really not when it comes to the mainstream. A hardcore base? Sure. But that base has a PS4, and they aren’t going to switch or supplement for any game that is not final fantasy, and that is never, ever going to happen. Japanese games are important parts of the mix, and many of them sell lots of copies, but this is not a winning formula. They’re already doing the best thing they can do, looking at the games under development in Japan and making strategic investments to ensure Xbox versions of promising titles are launched at the same time, of equal quality, and investing where appropriate.
I suppose it is about variety. The previous Xboxes had cult Japanese titles that were compelling enough to make people buy the box. The One doesn't carry on this trend.
I think this where Sony and Microsoft really differ. It's not about developing Japanese games that do GTA or CoD numbers; it's about bringing variety. Sony seem to be far more enthusiastic about games that don't do big numbers, but gradually gain cult followings. And it all adds up in the end to make the platform more attractive.

Narasaki

Microsoft already killed two sega franchises by releasing sequels on xbox consoles: Jet Set Radio and Panzer Dragoon (and Shenmue didn't sell a lot on that machine too)

Xbox is for dumb people with bad taste

RAIDEN1

Bring Virtua Fighter back by all means yes...but bringing it to Xbox it would have it's work cut out from the get-go..Sony's machine would be where it's at....especially with the other classic Sega franchise making a return there: ShenMue!

On another note why not also actually release a HD conversion of Daytona 2??

Bickle2

Microsoft already killed two sega franchises by releasing sequels on xbox consoles: Jet Set Radio and Panzer Dragoon (and Shenmue didn't sell a lot on that machine too)

Because Sega was hemmoraging money and Microsoft picked up their in development slate helping keep Sega viable? Sony and Nintendo werent going to do that. It was Xbox or nothing. Shenmue and the rest were sequels to games virtually no one played who had an Xbox. The remake of JSF didn’t sell well on any platform(sadly), neither did it’s spiritual successor (sunset overdrive) and no one cared about Crimson Dragon, which is Panzer Dragoon under a different name.

Seriously, you really don’t know what you’re talking about.

Bickle2

I suppose it is about variety. The previous Xboxes had cult Japanese titles that were compelling enough to make people buy the box. The One doesn't carry on this trend.
I think this where Sony and Microsoft really differ. It's not about developing Japanese games that do GTA or CoD numbers; it's about bringing variety. Sony seem to be far more enthusiastic about games that don't do big numbers, but gradually gain cult followings. And it all adds up in the end to make the platform more attractive.

It’s much more about Japanese companies making console versions having limited development resources, money, and time. So they stick to what will sell Best where their games tend to sell best. So that’s why Microsoft is making investments in promising titles to make sure they come there. Japanese indies especially just can’t afford the money to do that Xbox port that they aren’t sure will even see a return, so they don’t risk it. Developing these relationships is a one on one game in Japan. You need to show up and break bread with these people. And that’s what Spencer is doing. But this takes time to develo, and to actually see thr fruit. Everyone in Japan wants to be the second person to work with you.

MS shouldn't moneyhat shit! Apart from a few rare opportunities, MS will always lose by moneyhatting; the game will sell less on xbox, the devs knows this, Xbox will have to offer more money to keep exclusivity. Xbox still needs exclusives.

HoodWinked

all that would happen is bad press for sega and ms for exclusivity.

it would just be a lose/lose situation.

tho the funny thing is that if the same thing happend with sony nearly no blowback for exclusivity. there is just blatant double standards when it comes to console exclusivity.

nor would sony even need to money hat at this point since they just get exclusive for free due to their marketshare and developer/publisher relations in japan.

Does not make business sense and Japan seems all but uninterested in Xbox. Always have and always will.

They have Killer Instinct, no need to be a racing and fighter console. Microsoft needs diversity in their lineup, not moneyhatted games just to exclude others.

That would be an absolute monumental disaster for so many reasons. Also seems very unlikely Harada will actually get moved from Tekken.

all that would happen is bad press for sega and ms for exclusivity.

it would just be a lose/lose situation.

tho the funny thing is that if the same thing happend with sony nearly no blowback for exclusivity. there is just blatant double standards when it comes to console exclusivity.

nor would sony even need to money hat at this point since they just get exclusive for free due to their marketshare and developer/publisher relations in japan.

Word.

Although Sony has the install base advantage AND are more friendly/lucrative towards Japanese games. It's not as much bias as the knowledge that Japanese exclusives on PS4 can do very well, unlike on XB1.

I'm gonna go with Sega should get off their ass and stop vomiting Sonic out in an endless parade and start showing some love to their old franchises, Virtua Fighter included.

HoodWinked

wow for someone into gaming you barely know anything about it. those games were all in development on the dreamcast. if anything sony was much more instrumental in sega being pushed out of the console business. games like soul calibur were a huge success but pretty much were barred from having a sequel because of partnerships with sony which made namco go back to making tekken games exclusive to the ps2 due to them working with sony on the System 11 board and System 246. And the reason Shenmue died was also more of a result of the Yakuza series which was also a playstation exclusive.

so your animosity for sega's decline should actually be directed towards sony if anything but its pretty much going to be impossible to try to go against your ill informed head cannon.

wipeout364

While they are at it they should get an exclusive panzer dragoon game, maybe a platformer from one of the creators of sonic and maybe a couple of exclusive square RPGs, I guess they could find that guy who made final fantasy see if he could fire a couple of RPG’s as well since he got canned from Square (oh wait they already did all that; that’s why they are so dominant in Japan)

Jetboxx

Eh... Well, maybe the Xbox One is for dumb people with a bad taste, aye. Still there was a hope that there would be some cool games so I guess some people with a good taste bought it too. Anyway, there are many obscure masterpieces on the Xbox and the Xbox 360 (and not just obscure; games by Itagaki rule!), so I wouldn't say that those consoles are for "dumb people with bad taste". As for me, the Xbox 360 has a better library than the PS3 (well, the Wii does too, I guess). As for JSRF and Panzer Dragoon Orta, who said you these games would be released without Microsoft's help? I think we should be grateful.

Sega isnt going to greenlight a new VF destined to crash and burn in Japan.

All it needs is a proper arcade release, a timely home release on the PS4 and PC for the west, and to actually evolve in a substantal to way pick up a new audience. They've been too scared to take any risks after VF3 and it's really hurt the series.

I love final tuned and the first couple versions of 5 and all but it really is time to move forward.

Harada comes with a built in fanbase. Tekken fans will play VF based on this face alone. Sega could release an Arcade Version for Japan. I think a Xbox and Windows exclusive verison would be great. The same way Sony did with SFV....

I don't see MS buying exclusivity for another fighter when they already have Killer Instinct.

It would make more sense for them to fund a single player type game to go up against TLoU/GoW/Spider-Man, etc.

This. Although I do think rounding out the Xbone library is a good thing, their budget is better spent to fill in gaps elsewhere. In an ideal world where Phil could draw from an unlimited budget to make pet projects happen indefinitely, then sure, "why not?" But in a climate where expenditures have to at some point be justified by actual game sales...pumping money into another fighter when Killer Instinct is already awesome probably isn't the best priority. They desperately need a slick, new single player IP that isn't Halo or Gears. So that makes a lot more sense.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Tekken ?!?!?!?

no,no,no,no,no,no,no

I'd rather not have another VF than see it dragged through the mud...

It's not the right time yet, they need a real next gen system I think, and please nobody deeply involved with Tekken, they're gonna ruin it.

Top Bottom