• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch |OT|

Carnby

Huh? Why wouldn't you open it? Unless you plan to scalp it on eBay later or something? Or you collect sealed games?

I do. I have a few sealed rarities. GTA Trilogy (xbox), Metroid Prime Trilogy, and ICO to name a few. I don't plan on opening my copy of Wizard Edition.

chrono01

I do. I have a few sealed rarities. GTA Trilogy (xbox), Metroid Prime Trilogy, and ICO to name a few. I don't plan on opening my copy of Wizard Edition.

I understand the collective nature of people, but it would seem like a waste to me to spend as much on the Wizard's Edition as one does and then have it collect dust. You'll never be able to thumb through your own Wizard's Companion, or use the gold DLC familiars. You'll never cuddle with the plush of Drippy, nor will you be able to pretend the empty [and rather large] box for the Wizard's Edition is a portal to a parallel world as you attempt to traverse the boundries of space/time as we know it.

Unless you were getting two, then you're totally covered.

have the wiz. edition on preorder. i don't mind the slight delay. it just means that i have to avoid the OT soon.

i'm sure that art will make the world more peaceful.

Carnby

I understand the collective nature of people, but it would seem like a waste to me to spend as much on the Wizard's Edition as one does and then have it collect dust. You'll never be able to thumb through your own Wizard's Companion, or use the gold DLC familiars. You'll never cuddle with the plush of Drippy, nor will you be able to pretend the empty [and rather large] box for the Wizard's Edition is a portal to a parallel world as you attempt to traverse the boundries of space/time as we know it.

Maybe. One order was done with a currently valid card. The other is not. In order to update my payment information, I had to cancel and reorder through Digital River. I don't believe that I will get that copy until it is in my hands.

chrono01

Maybe. One order was done with a currently valid card. The other is not. In order to update my payment information, I had to cancel and reorder through Digital River. I don't believe that I will get that copy until it is in my hands.

Wow, so there's hope? Nicely done!

If I had my time back I probably would have ordered two myself [since it was essentially made-to-order and I wouldn't be "stealing" a copy from anyone else]. But honestly, at this point, I'll just be happy to receive it at all.

Peagles

I do too. But it's more a product of me not opening stuff because I don't have time to play, hehe. But I don't really see what keeping them sealed does except retain value, and I don't really see how value matters unless you plan to resell at a profit later. Or maybe you want to open them when you're 80 and pretend like you've gone back in time? That'd be pretty neat :p

Pretty much this. Unless you plan to sell it later and make some mega bucks I don't see the point in it sitting there unused. People are already making megabucks pre-release on this thing as it is though!

Animekatt

Hmm... I just got off the phone with the Gamestop where I preordered the game from. The guy said they already have the steelbooks in, and that I could pick mine up today if I wanted!! I will do that later on in the afternoon.

Check to see if your GS has it in stock, so you can be the first to pick out the steelbook that doesn't have any dents/scratches.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
This is like the third or fourth game this gen that I'm going to pick up day one. Any good deals going on with this game or am I going to be forced to pay $60?

FSLink

Banned
I have my US copy preordered for the steelbook + US game and I preordered the European CE. Can't wait!

I'm not sure if I should wait for my EU copy to come in so I can play with the physical book....decisions, decisions.

Cheska

It's surreal to think this is literally right around the corner. With DmC to keep us busy, this week should fly by!

Hmm... I just got off the phone with the Gamestop where I preordered the game from. The guy said they already have the steelbooks in, and that I could pick mine up today if I wanted!! I will do that later on in the afternoon.

Check to see if your GS has it in stock, so you can be the first to pick out the steelbook that doesn't have any dents/scratches.

gonna go to store and see if i can still preorder. you wouldn't happen to live up north near NJ/NY?

Aeana

I agree that naming it Ni no Kuni is a dumb move. I don't really get the point. They don't even have the excuse of the game being Japanese in flavor.

In summary:
  • Dialogue is cheesy
  • Too many enemies
  • Boss battles too cheap
  • Save points too limited
  • "old-school RPG mechanics"

Okay, what about them?

madhtr

They would have needed to make up an English title, and everyone still would have called it dumb. They would have needed to call it like "The Other World" or some such, I guess...

I agree that naming it Ni no Kuni is a dumb move.

If you say it three times fast, it sounds kinda sorta like "Narnia," and there's the US logo, which looks like what was used on the Narnia films.

(...which then begs the question of why L5 would want this game compared to Narnia, since that film series shit the bed ages ago...)

Peagles

I agree that naming it Ni no Kuni is a dumb move. I don't really get the point. They don't even have the excuse of the game being Japanese in flavor.

I probably would have just gone with "The Other World" or maybe even "Studio's Ghibli presents: The Other World" just so you get Ghibli fans on board. Most of my Ghibli fan friends don't even know about this game.

Okay, what about them?

That's the tone framing the other complaints.

Game Informer said:
The world keeps you entranced. Unfortunately, the characters and old-school RPG mechanics don't have the same charm.
Game Informer said:
Ni No Kuni features many battles, but most trying is the player's struggle against old-school mechanics. First off, every area contains an absurd amount of random encounters, and while enemies are visible on the field, they charge instantly once spotting you...

It's worth noting that the reviewer seems to have enjoyed a wide variety of other RPGs, so take that as you will.

I actually have a sealed copy of the Dark Souls collectors edition for PS3. It was kind of an accident, I wanted the collectors edition but they were sold out, so I bought the normal, then later found somewhere with the collectors edition so I bought it and saw no reason to open it

madhtr

That's the tone framing the other complaints.

It's worth noting that the reviewer seems to have enjoyed a wide variety of other RPGs, so take that as you will.

It should be noted that when you get to a higher level than the enemies, they will run away, instead... so the reviewer must have been trying to rush to get to the review.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Why do we still have save points in this era? Just lazy game development. Always kills my gaming boner =/

I'm a fan of both Level 5 and Ghibli, so this game is a must have for me. My only regret is that I can't afford any of the special editions.

JeTmAn81

It's surreal to think this is literally right around the corner. With DmC to keep us busy, this week should fly by!

I do not think that word means what you think it means. Unless you live on the same block as UPS or something. Anyway, this game is looking really good. It's doubtful that I'll pick it up on launch, but I'm a fan of Studio Ghibli and Level-5, so I definitely want to check it out.

Top Bottom