• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Silent Hill HD Collection |OT| Programmed in Smoke Signals

Thanks. Anyone have the 360 version that can comment? Curious if there's any performance differences at all?

I have the PS3 version on the way from Amazon.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
I just realized this came out today. I might wait until the weekend to get it, but yeah, I can't wait. Looking forward to hearing impressions.

I'm liking it. I think both games look really good. My only concern is that sometimes they run at 60fps... often even, but then they'll turn around and stutter a bit. I would have rather them locked it at 30 or something than have uneven performance.

Playing this on 360. Just SH2 so far on original voices, but I have only noticed a couple brief spots of slowdown, nothing unusual. The darkness is fine. With the flashlight off in the apartments I can't see shit and barely make out walls and doors. Dunno about 3.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm liking it. I think both games look really good. My only concern is that sometimes they run at 60fps... often even, but then they'll turn around and stutter a bit. I would have rather them locked it at 30 or something than have uneven performance.
Seriously? In the Gamespot footage I noticed that SH3 ran in slow motion when you were wandering around outside the mall. Is this still the case?

PS3 here. Played up to the apartments in SH2, and just got to the first save in SH3. SH2 looks fine, with the exception of some unnecessary texture changes, as already mentioned in other impressions. I'm sticking with the original voices/music since I don't much care for the new work. Fog is nice and thick, perhaps even more so than the original, but I might be mistaken. I haven't played SH2 since it launched on PS2.

SH3, thus far, looks really good. There is some missing fog in the first section of the carnival at the beginning, but as you progress, it is indeed there. Textures on the ground are intact as well. I really like Heather's new VO, but I miss the old Douglas. Also have already ran into two sound bugs where the music stops playing, once during gameplay and once during a cutscene. I've always vastly preferred SH3 to SH2, so I'll most likely go through SH3 first.

The main and most glaring issue with both games is the framerate. It's constantly changing, and this can make the game freeze for a second or two, at least in SH2. Haven't played enough of SH3 to see if it also suffers from the same problem. Overall, it's not the absolute train wreck people were making it out to be when media was revealed, but if you're a devoted purist of the originals, the missing aesthetics and possible bugs are probably enough cause for you to just stick with your PS2 copies. For me, the issues so far are minor, and I'm glad to have this collection of two of my favorite games.

ScOULaris

Ugh. These impressions are confirming all of our worries. Worst HD collection ever confirmed. Konami will not be seeing a dime from me for this shameless raping of two timeless classics.

Levito

Banned
Ugh. These impressions are confirming all of our worries. Worst HD collection ever confirmed. Konami will not be seeing a dime from me for this shameless raping of two timeless classics.

I'm fairly confident that most people's impressions in here are positive...

Shit like this is ridiculous. Chill out, it's fine. Impressions have been good overall, and it's not like they burned all your original copies.

ScOULaris

The impressions have been positive because the only people who are posting them are those who are willing to overlook the changes and technical hiccups present in these remasters.

4GB install, sporadic framerate, changed voices and soundtrack for SH3, and all sorts of needlessly altered textures and strange alterations present in both games are beyond unacceptable to me.

That's great that some of you are able to still enjoy this collection, but the impressions that I've heard thus far have just confirmed my concerns leading up to this release.

It's just such a shame, too. SH2/3 are two of my favorite games of all time, and this collection could have been the definitive versions of those two classics. What a waste.

Just started up SH2 and while it certainly looks nice, I've already experienced some slowdown in the outdoor areas in the beginning. It's gonna get really annoying trying to explore the town if this keeps up. Does it lessen as the game goes on? I assume that there is no slowdown indoors?

SkylineRKR

The impressions have been positive because the only people who are posting them are those who are willing to overlook the changes and technical hiccups present in these remasters.

4GB install, sporadic framerate, changed voices and soundtrack for SH3, and all sorts of needlessly altered textures and strange alterations present in both games are beyond unacceptable to me.

That's great that some of you are able to still enjoy this collection, but the impressions that I've heard thus far have just confirmed my concerns leading up to this release.

It's just such a shame, too. SH2/3 are two of my favorite games of all time, and this collection could have been the definitive versions of those two classics. What a waste.

I have to say the issues mentioned here are glaring and possibly deal breaking for me. It does sound like a far cry from MGS HD which was an excellent release.

LestradeTGQ

Neo Member
Hey folks, I made a high-res custom cover for this HD collection (on PS3). If you want it, nab it here: http://www.mediafire.com/?bgen3yc49ytq9jd

tMlD4.png

I want to know if the 360 version suffers from the same freezes. If it doesn't then this might be the first game i've exchanged in like forever.

Quikies83

On PS3, I just made it to the first apartment building in SH2.. the slow downs are pretty fucking annoying.. But I love this game. Haven't had any sound bugs yet.

ScOULaris said:
.. and all sorts of needlessly altered textures and strange alterations present in both games are beyond unacceptable to me...
So then don't buy it and move on? No harm no foul. The PC versions are out there and available to play at high resolution.

WickedLaharl said:
I want to know if the 360 version suffers from the same freezes.
I have both versions. I'll update later tonight if there are any major differences.

Tried SH3 on 360 now and the darkness is fine there too. A lot of that footage was way off. I'm not noticing any serious slowdown in either game aside from standard hiccups common in most games. Whether or not these live up to the standards of diehard fans is another argument, but I have no doubt that if you haven't played these before, you are getting just as good of an experience. The people freaking out are being unreasonable.

Squirts Macintosh said:
Whether or not these live up to the standards of diehard fans is another argument
I'm about as diehard as they come for this series and I'm quite open to the changes. The generalizing about what type of people are giving positive impressions is nonsense.

Silent Hill 2 is my favorite video game of all time and I *LIKE* the new voice work. I have a connection with the old that will hold a soft spot in my heart but the VA was always a flaw I was willing to overlook more than something I actually felt was a strong element of the game (outside Mary/Maria's VA which I always liked).

I'm about as diehard as they come for this series and I'm quite open to the changes. The generalizing about what type of people are giving positive impressions is nonsense.

Silent Hill 2 is my favorite video game of all time and I *LIKE* the new voice work. I have a connection with the old that will hold a soft spot in my heart but the VA was always a flaw I was willing to overlook more than something I actually felt was a strong element of the game (outside Mary/Maria's VA which I always liked).
You are now my favorite SH brother on this forum. Thank you.

Wow, the dialogue and sound effects are horribly out of sync in the scenes I've seen so far. :/ Playing SH2 with the new voices.

Shining

So.. should one stick with the PC versions or is this collection considered an upgrade from those? I cant really tell from the impressions.

Erasus

Shit like this is ridiculous. Chill out, it's fine. Impressions have been good overall, and it's not like they burned all your original copies.

Why not have SH4 in the collection?
Why the 4GB install?
Why the drops in framerate?

I have not actually played any SH games and I can see those problems, but I might just get 2 3 4 on PC now and run them in 1080p 60fps.

So, yea it may not be a bad collection, but its the worst.
ICO/SoTC was only 2 games too but thats because nothing else was made, and those ran amazingly and ICO was in 1080p. JAK collection and Sly, PoP and Splinter Cell are also 3 games tho I hear PoP is also a bad collection. Might pick up Jak and Daxter actually....

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Just for shits, can anyone report whether or not the FMV sequences are displayed at 60 fps? They were 60 fps in the PS2 version but 30 for the two ports elsewhere. I'm simply curious to see if they bothered touching the PS2 version at all.

The main and most glaring issue with both games is the framerate. It's constantly changing, and this can make the game freeze for a second or two, at least in SH2.
Is this the new Konami's brand of horror? Terrifyingly bad framerates?

Between this collection and the awful performance in Downpour one has to wonder.

At least the Vita game should run smoothly (as WayForward games always do).

I disagree. HD Collections were designed to present older games in a new light with improvements across the board. If an HD collection is going to ship full of issues that were not originally present in the first releases I'd say they have failed. SH2 and 3 both ran at a rock solid 30 fps on PS2, they didn't skip or stutter, the scenes were properly sync'd, etc. There are glaring technical issues present that actually result in an experience worse than the originals. On top of that, they modified original assets in a negative way.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I'm playing through Silent Hill now for the first time ever, looking to pick these up sometime down the road. I've only played Shattered Memories and I loved it, so I'm eager to play some of the earlier entries in the series.

Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up the collection and play through the silent hill games for the first time but I had a couple questions:

1. Is there a big difference between PS3 and X360? I collect achievements so X360 would normally be my pick.
  2. Should I play them in order?
  3. Should I use the original voices or the new ones?
  4. I see a few people saying they're just picking up the pc releases, is that a better idea?

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Hey guys, I'm looking to pick up the collection and play through the silent hill games for the first time but I had a couple questions:

1. Is there a big difference between PS3 and X360? I collect achievements so X360 would normally be my pick.
  2. Should I play them in order?
  3. Should I use the original voices or the new ones?
  4. I see a few people saying they're just picking up the pc releases, is that a better idea?

Doesn't matter if you play them in order, as SH 2 and 3 aren't related to each other at all in terms of story. You can only use new voices in SH 3. As for SH 2, personally I think the old voices sound better going by what I've heard of the new voices, but YMMV. The PC version of SH 2 is hard to come by, and fairly expensive. Your best bet would be to get the Director's Cut PS2 version of SH 2, and the PC version of SH 3 (if you crank all the visuals to max, SH 3 PC looks godly).

Cudder

I'm playing through Silent Hill now for the first time ever, looking to pick these up sometime down the road. I've only played Shattered Memories and I loved it, so I'm eager to play some of the earlier entries in the series.

You have an amazing road ahead of you.

Top Bottom