• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Cinematic Universe |OT3| 80.8 % Certified Fresh

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Huh, I thought that IW would end with this:
screen-shot-2012-05-22-at-12-59-59-pm.png

The Captain Marvel movie needs to fit inbetween and when the universe is empty and dead, this would be rather difficult :p

SpaceWolf

Banned
I hope we get a reference to more recent MCU related events in The Defenders.

Even if we just get passing mentions of "that thing in Sokovia". and "That stuff at the airport", I'll be happy.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I think the Defenders happens before Civil War, like around spring 2016? Dunno, just something I read on Reddit.

After Spiderman: Homecoming, the MCU timeline now has no bearing on reality. They'll probably retcon Civil War to have taken place in 2033 by the time the next film rolls around.

Pachimari

I like to think that the MCU timeline is still good and all, and so far choose to ignore that "8 years later" mistake. But I can certainly see why you would ignore the timeline at this point, that's fair enough.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I like to think that the MCU timeline is still good and all, and so far choose to ignore that "8 years later" mistake. But I can certainly see why you would ignore the timeline at this point, that's fair enough.
Its just a mistake. I am 100% sure, the writter misinterpreted Visions comment in Civil War and it went through unnoticed.
Movie Mistakes happen.

Glass Rebel

As much as I am looking forward to Defenders and Punisher, I have honestly soured on the Netflix Marvel shows as a whole. There's a real low-budget feel to all of them and the general tone they have established so far makes the attempts at embracing their comic book roots stick out like sore thumbs. AoS S4 did a way better job at handling it and they went completely off the wall with Ghost Rider, LMDs, the Framework... while still dealing with subject matter that's darker than the Marvel Studios films. The Netflix shows somehow work (to varying degrees) despite their source material, not because of it, unlike the movies and AoS. Runaways and Cloak & Dagger look way more interesting in this regard and I wouldn't be surprised if I feel the same about New Warriors.

I was completely on board with a Moon Knight or Blade Netflix series but not anymore; not under the current leadership.

As much as I am looking forward to Defenders and Punisher, I have honestly soured on the Netflix Marvel shows as a whole. There's a real low-budget feel to all of them and the general tone they have established so far makes the attempts at embracing their comic book roots stick out like sore thumbs. AoS S4 did a way better job at handling it and they went completely off the wall with Ghost Rider, LMDs, the Framework... while still dealing with subject matter that's darker than the Marvel Studios films. The Netflix shows somehow work (to varying degrees) despite their source material, not because of it, unlike the movies and AoS. Runaways and Cloak & Dagger look way more interesting in this regard and I wouldn't be surprised if I feel the same about New Warriors.

I was completely on board with a Moon Knight or Blade Netflix series but not anymore; not under the current leadership.

I agree, I find myself exited for a new entry in marvels worst franchise in november, but most of marvel TV is bleh to me. Barring Daredevil because charlie cox is the man.

Pachimari

What are the final predictions on Homecoming's box office. Ending up in the 500's isnt good news.
It can still reach $800 million ww. Your pecimism knows no bounds.

I can't believe it but I'm more excited for Inhumans than the Defenders. In fact I'm more excited for Cloak & Dagger, New Warriors and Runaways than I am for both Defenders and Punisher. At this point the Netflix shows are a drag.

It can still reach $800 million ww. Your pecimism knows no bounds.

I can't believe it but I'm more excited for Inhumans than the Defenders. In fact I'm more excited for Cloak & Dagger, New Warriors and Runaways than I am for both Defenders and Punisher. At this point the Netflix shows are a drag.

Im getting a bit tired of the netflix stuff. But 10 years on and im still exited for what the 'Studios' puts out. Weird

This is exactly how I've been feeling lately.

shingi70

Banned
I have enough hype left in me to sustain for Defenders. I just wish the Netflix stuff would embrace how The medium they're adapting. I don't think the CW shows are the best thing ever made, but I do adore how they wear the medium they're adapting on their sleeve for better or worse.

I'd say the last season a shield was a great middle ground of what I'd want ideally.

Glass Rebel

CW is terrible in that it combines the worst aspects of comic books with the worst aspects of CW. Garbage tier television.

And as much as I'd love Dan Stevens as Moonie, I don't want him to play another mentally ill comic book character. I nominate Jake Gyllenhaal.

I have enough hype left in me to sustain for Defenders. I just wish the Netflix stuff would embrace how The medium they're adapting. I don't think the CW shows are the best thing ever made, but I do adore how they wear the medium they're adapting on their sleeve for better or worse.

I'd say the last season a shield was a great middle ground of what I'd want ideally.

Defenders looks good but im hoping for more character bouncing of character and development and less beat up ninjas

I have a feeling the story is going to take a backseat to beating this new villian. At least its Sigourney Weaver

Punisher... Now that is sounding very promising and I loved all his scenes in DD season 2. Could be something special

shingi70

Banned
Defenders looks good but im hoping for more character bouncing of character and development and less beat up ninjas

I have a feeling the story is going to take a backseat to beating this new villian. At least its Sigourney Weaver

Punisher... Now that is sounding very promising and I loved all his scenes in DD season 2. Could be something special

It's the hard part of Denfenders being a 8 part TV series vs a movie or a crossover episodie. Having to sustain just punching ninjas for 8 hours seems like it would be hard.

The last part of the Avengers and the final episode of the D.C. invasion crossover worked because they're short works.

It's the hard part of Denfenders being a 8 part TV series vs a movie or a crossover episodie. Having to sustain just punching ninjas for 8 hours seems like it would be hard.

The last part of the Avengers and the final episode of the D.C. invasion crossover worked because they're short works.

Well here is hoping we get plenty of time with our characters

At least from the previews it feels like a very short arc but I suppose its intentionally misleading

jph139

I mean, there's "the Hand," but you have at least four different factions beyond the main team - between Alexandra and Gao and Bakuto and Stick. And you have Elektra as a spoiler there. So I figure there'll be a bunch of infighting and teaming-up and drama among the bad guys to stretch that plot along.

I'm mostly curious how much, if at all, Jessica and Luke's supporting casts will factor in. Same for Foggy and Karen. We get a single shot of them but I'm curious if they'll have a plot role beyond "friends who give advice/criticism."

Glass Rebel

The other thing that makes Defenders a hard sell for me is that the involvement for half of the characters seem kinda flimsy. Danny makes perfect sense in a story about the Hand, Elektra's apparent resurrection gives them material for Matt... but why are Jessica and Luke there? Except for the fact that they both live in New York, they have no ties to the conflict. In a post-Avengers world, this isn't enough for me. It's kinda how I felt about Ant-Man being incorporated in the larger MCU and it's gonna be interesting to see how the Russos tackle this in Avengers 3 and 4, if at all. Shit like this reeks of corporate mandated crossover. Which is kind of a given, I guess, I just wish they gave us a few bursts of Febreeze. The second Justice League trailer playing to "Come Together" was the most cynical shit ever.

The other thing that makes Defenders a hard sell for me is that the involvement for half of the characters seem kinda flimsy. Danny makes perfect sense in a story about the Hand, Elektra's apparent resurrection gives them material for Matt... but why are Jessica and Luke there? Except for the fact that they both live in New York, they have no ties to the conflict. In a post-Avengers world, this isn't enough for me. It's kinda how I felt about Ant-Man being incorporated in the larger MCU and it's gonna be interesting to see how the Russos tackle this in Avengers 3 and 4, if at all. Shit like this reeks of corporate mandated crossover. Which is kind of a given, I guess, I just wish they gave us a few bursts of Febreeze. The second Justice League trailer playing to "Come Together" was the most cynical shit ever.

Cap needed goons, he found ant man. Simple, JJ and Luke Cage?? Idk about that.

BLACKLAC

>be random civilian
>read about how Captain America prevented New York from getting nuked during World War 2
>2012
>aliens start raining down from a big hole in the sky above New York
>suddenly Captain Fucking America jumps right out of a goddamn history book and punches them in the dick
>2014
>hear on the news that Captain America is wanted for assassination and could be armed and dangerous
>3 days later he swoops in out of nowhere, shoves the biggest conspiracy in human history into the spotlight, and prevents the Secretary of Defense from killing 20 million people in one fell swoop
>implying you wouldn't be worshipping him as the one true God at that point

😎

Seems like a man Scott would fangirl over...

Glass Rebel

Cap needed goons, he found ant man. Simple, JJ and Luke Cage?? Idk about that.

😎

Seems like a man Scott would fangirl over...

I mean, Civil War did fine with what they were given.

Everybody knows that the real reason for the MCU woes is Edgar Wright fucking around for ten years. Ant-Man and Wasp could have had a role in the Avengers and we would have gotten Hank Pym Ultron. 🌝

GAMEPROFF

Banned

I think, a few weeks ago we got the news that Ant Man wont be in Infinity War.
Was he even on stage at D23?

I should be happy for a Doctor Doom movie. I've said for YEARS doom should get his own movie, but now it feels so ..... hollow. Legion was alright post episode 5, and I should be glad Hawley is doing it but I'm not. After his orgin movie I would've loved to seen triumph and torment, with strange but now it'll never happen. Him meeting with t'challa, tony, steve etc. I also wouldve loved to see 'The Cabal' in the mcu with Doom, Osborn, and Loki.

However Apart from Logan and maybe Deadpool 2 I'm done with fox. X-Men included.

I should be happy for a Doctor Doom movie. I've said for YEARS doom should get his own movie, but now it feels so ..... hollow. Legion was alright post episode 5, and I should be glad Hawley is doing it but I'm not. After his orgin movie I would've loved to seen triumph and torment, with strange but now it'll never happen. Him meeting with t'challa, tony, steve etc. I also wouldve loved to see 'The Cabal' in the mcu with Doom, Osborn, and Loki.

However Apart from Logan and maybe Deadpool 2 I'm done with fox. X-Men included.

Maybe at the end of the Doom films he'll go through a portal to the MCU, take over Sokovia, rename it and so on

Maaaaybeee

Top Bottom