• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First 18 Minutes of Dinosaur Planet Plus 40 Minutes of Never-Before-Seen Gameplay

SuomiDude

I don't know, I thought I'd never say this, but I'm glad it turned into Star Fox Adventures. This game looks good for an N64 game, some nice stuff going on, but too dark, low framerate and the game just seems so slow in every way. The music is good quality, but bad compositions. The beginning of the game felt like it fell apart already in its first minutes. The voice acting sucks and so on.

Although SFA wasn't a top quality game, I think the decision was for the better.

I don't know if we can fully say the decision was for the better. I mean, this is an unpolished and unfinished game we are comparing SFA to you know?

Just recently played a few hours of Star Fox Adventures, and despite the graphics and animation still holding up really well, it's still a very medicore and unremarkable game.

SuomiDude

I don't know if we can fully say the decision was for the better. I mean, this is an unpolished and unfinished game we are comparing SFA to you know?
I was actually about to edit my post saying the same, but decided not to. I guess I should've... Yeah, it really is unfair to compare these games especially since they're on different platforms. But watching that video of Dinosaur Planet made me yawn and I was forcing myself to watch the whole video (in the end I actually skipped parts of it because I was so bored). When SFA was shown, I was actually very excited for it, and couldn't wait to see new videos all the time, so I think it says enough about these games for me personally.

Razek

Banned
Wow, that snow part looks incredible, frame rate aside. Like a really low end PS2 game, and yeah, the music is good!

Shiggy

So that part actually wasn't a Scales battle, just the test of fear. I'd love to know how far along this version was as Fox still uses Krystal sound samples.

So that part actually wasn't a Scales battle, just the test of fear. I'd love to know how far along this version was as Fox still uses Krystal sound samples.
Yeah...looks like that clip was from the Test of Combat part of the game.

And yeah, not only the sound samples but the health graphics.

Technically very impressive for an N64 title, even if it was going to be a late one. SFA ended up looking great on the Cube, if I remember correctly, which is surprising when you look at the track record of titles that have been bumped up a generation.

drspeedy

I love this kind of stuff... As someone who thought SFA was a pretty good game (until the last couple of blatantly unfinished levels), I'm always amazed how good it looked before and after the N64 version.

Even finished, it has a certain 64-era feel that just catches my eyes, not sure if its the lighting or character models/animation or what, but this and Eternal Darkness both have some almost unexplainable feeling not in most GC games.

Ein Bear

Thank you so much for posting this, I've wanted to have a good look at Dinosaur Planet for years. Amazing the sort of stuff Rare were doing with the N64, they really were tech gods.

M-PG71C

I really wanted to see this come out as the original IP it should've been. It would have been a more amazing game for it.

Thank you so much for posting this, I've wanted to have a good look at Dinosaur Planet for years. Amazing the sort of stuff Rare were doing with the N64, they really were tech gods.
Yeah they were! This would have been as impressive on the Nintendo 64 as SFA was on the GameCube.

Yka

Great stuff! Is this a ROM played on an emulator (there's some audio glitches)? I would buy this in a heart beat from Virtual Console.

Jet Force Gemini could have been a great Star Fox game but Dinosaur Planet not so much...

On foot Star Fox should play like Jet Force Gemini/Ratchet & Clank.

I believe it was shown and playable at an LA E3 (1999?), because I was in an interview with Miyamoto and asked him what he though about Rare's Dinosaur Planet and its animal heroes...in his answer he did mention something about possibly working with them to turn it into a Star Fox game.

I believe it was shown and playable at an LA E3 (1999?), because I was in an interview with Miyamoto and asked him what he though about Rare's Dinosaur Planet and its animal heroes...in his answer he did mention something about possibly working with them to turn it into a Star Fox game.
Oh wow! Pretty crazy!

counted on it.
care to elaborate via pm?
it's one of many cancelled games i've really researched over the years and yearned for.
there should be a copy out in collector circles.
Supposedly there is one copy out in the wild but the person who might have it hasn't been heard from in years.

FyreWulff

Technically very impressive for an N64 title, even if it was going to be a late one. SFA ended up looking great on the Cube, if I remember correctly, which is surprising when you look at the track record of titles that have been bumped up a generation.

There was stuff Rare did in SFA that developers couldn't be arsed to do even on the Wii

Is this a ROM played on an emulator (there's some audio glitches)?

Don't think so... This doesn't sound like the kind of audio glitches an emulator would cause. They sound more like some sort of analog interference in the wires used to capture.

Shiggy

was expecting this to be another Shiggy Rare Troll thread.

pfft

So this material looks a little bit like the E3 version, though it includes much more places and the entire beginning. Actually, to me it looks like it was cut together from different builts as the boss fight at the ending still shows Krystal together with Tricky. Was Sabre perhaps not implemented at that time? Or wasn't he even planned?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Just recently played a few hours of Star Fox Adventures, and despite the graphics and animation still holding up really well, it's still a very medicore and unremarkable game.
What, were you expecting it to get better with age or something?

fernoca

was expecting this to be another Shiggy Rare Troll thread.
Hahaha...something like:
"Rare: Dinosaur Planet Gameplay"
During TGS or the VGAs... :p

But yeah, the game looks good as expected, but doubt the game would've been any better. The main problem to me with the end product was the "collect-a-thon apect; which (whatever was left of) Rare made fun of on Nuts and Bolts. :p

I just clicked the video thinking it was a new game. My head almost exploded. I'd love for a game company to do that though, just make a N64 graphical game.

linko9

Wow, cool stuff, thanks for sharing! I actually thought the GC game was pretty good, but for whatever reason it just feels right to see a Rare game running on an n64.

Top Bottom