• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Store 06/19/08

Raistlin

Jtrizzy said:
I have a problem. I have 2700 MB free on my hard drive, the NCAA 08 demo is 1567, yet it says I don't have enough room on my hard drive. I was having the same problem when I tried to download the Haze demo. What the hell? Is some of it partitioned off or something?

I'm guessing that you need the extra space for it to unpack and install the demo? It ends up deleting the original install afterward, but it may need extra space initially?

Remy

AkuMifune said:
So who's gonna volunteer to find out just how bad Hail to the Chimp is?

I tried it. I actually need to be put down in the "pleasantly surprised" column. The game's got some pretty funny writing (check out the "Dam Design" ad - if you've ever watched G4, you'll get a kick out of it), there seem to be enough modes and maps to keep things interesting, it has online play (in the demo!)...I dunno. The MSRP of $40 is making me consider it.

It's worth downloading the demo at least.

Tntnnbltn

AkuMifune said:
Honestly it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. If it were a PSN title I'd bite, but I wouldn't pay full price for a disc version.

Bizzyb

Banned
After getting the latest system update, PAIN always has Network errors when checking for updates and tells me to start the game over so it can reconnect. As a result I can NEVER access any online content whenever I start up PAIN.

Yet when I quit out, my account is still logged in and online as normal

What's going on and is there a way to fix this??

I swear, Sony's online is SO busted compared to LIVE.

WiCkEd_Co

AkuMifune said:

If you ever played Fuzion Frenzy 1 on the Xbox and you remember how you had to run around while fighting to collect orbs, it feels the same like that to me but a bit slower.

Benedict

I can't believe how bad Commando 3 is.
It feel's like something they threw together on lunch-breaks during one week...

My hopes for the 1942 has severly dropped.

Please tell me that there are different development teams behind the two games?

Rlan

Benedict said:

I really like Commando 3 :(

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
I hate to ask this since I'm sure it has been said countless times in the past, but can you actually play the PSP downloadable games on your PS3? Gurumin sounds good, and I'd like to play it on my television. I just got my PS3, so please have mercy with my question, GAF. Thanks.

This may be an incredibly stupid question, but if I download Gurumin will I be able to play it on the PS3? I really like the look of the game, but my PSP's been busted for months :(

*edit - reading comprehension ftl, didn't notice the exact same question above my post :lol

itxaka

Defeatist
Mutagenic said:
I hate to ask this since I'm sure it has been said countless times in the past, but can you actually play the PSP downloadable games on your PS3? Gurumin sounds good, and I'd like to play it on my television. I just got my PS3, so please have mercy with my question, GAF. Thanks.

No :(

Anyone has got the pain update?? I have booted the game about 8 times now and it doesn´t found anything :(

AkuMifune

Banned
Remy said:
I tried it. I actually need to be put down in the "pleasantly surprised" column. The game's got some pretty funny writing (check out the "Dam Design" ad - if you've ever watched G4, you'll get a kick out of it), there seem to be enough modes and maps to keep things interesting, it has online play (in the demo!)...I dunno. The MSRP of $40 is making me consider it.

It's worth downloading the demo at least.

Wow, I'm surprised. I was kind of expecting a mess. I'll give it a shot.

Beq

Neo Member
Just played the NCAA demo, the cpu owned me 12-0.

I am planning on picking up a football game this year, not sure which one to pick up NCAA or Madden. Haven't bought any football game in the past 10 years.

GrayFoxPL

Onix said:
I'm guessing that you need the extra space for it to unpack and install the demo? It ends up deleting the original install afterward, but it may need extra space initially?

You are guessing right. You need 2 times more free space to instal demo. IF the demo is 1500 mb you need 3 gigs of free space etc.

buffi

Banned
Benedict said:

Wait what? People have hopes for 1942? It has looked like shit since the first videos popped up :(
At least commando 3 plays half decent.

M3wThr33

Banned
Bizzyb said:
After getting the latest system update, PAIN always has Network errors when checking for updates and tells me to start the game over so it can reconnect. As a result I can NEVER access any online content whenever I start up PAIN.

I get it, too. :-/

WiCkEd_Co

Was playing Fatal Inertia and did a smoke screen online and it said "achievement unlock smoke something" in the same place the Xbox achievements pop up. So is this game trophy ready?

test_account

XP-39C²
Does anyone knows when Commando 3 will come out in Europe for the PS3? Its already rated at PEGI.info (european rating stuff) and i think its out on Xbox 360 in Europa as well so i have no idea why it isnt out on the PS3 as well. Does anyone know? (maybe this has been answered before in this thread, but i havnt read all posts, sorry).

Bizzyb said:

Are you under a secure firewall? I must open the DMZ on my PS3 local IP to avoid most issues for games.

EDIT: I checked the Official PS Forums, and one of the devs posted it being a problem on their end, and they are working on it.

I'll admit, since before the update and after the update, I had weird issues in two games online, where everything froze. I could not press the PS Button, not press main power, only power off from the back. It seems like some others had the same issue. I was hoping Firmware 2.36 fixed it, but it looks like it may not. This is why I do not want Sony to rush 2.4, because I really want them to get net issues solved and have it working properly (because I could easily see some games freezing every time you press the PS Button to bring up the XMB).

Mutagenic said:
There's no way to play PSP games on PS3, since there's no emulator or any kind of PSP hardware on the PS3 making it possible to play PSP games. There is a way to play PSP games on the TV and that's by using component cables with a PSP Slim

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Bizzyb said:

:lol

This is a server-side error that is being sorted out at the moment. It should be good to go by next week at the latest.

Rolf NB

AkuMifune said:
It's shit. Worthless, tiring shit wrapped in a lot of pleasant, funny presentation on the side still remains shit. They really should have spent more than just that one hour on designing the game to shove between their layers of fun stuffs.

edit:
Benedict said:

I came out really disappointed as well. I've played Commando when it was brand new, and its knock-offs too (Ikari Warriors <3), but this has neither the nostalgic values nor can it stand up to contemporary competition. You can't really blame them for the former, but that it turned out possibly worse than even the shoddy Rocketmen is a problem. Incidentally, the Monster Madness demo that strangely disappeared shortly after release last week just demonstrated how fun this type of game (on-foot twin-stick shooting with actual levels) can be. Commando 3, in comparison, is just the needless extended slo-mo death of a franchise.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I was fine with the on-foot control for Commando 3, but the vehicle control in the demo was icky. And the abrupt cutoff just before the boss battle for the demo level really gave me a vibe that the devs realized the game was too short and easy to breeze through to even let you see that much of the game.

Hail to the Chimp - Nice humor and presentation. I like the visual style they use in the filler material but it doesn't work as well for me in the actual game. The player models blend too well with the scenery making it difficult to distinguish what's going on.

Tntnnbltn

I got the Civilisation Revolution demo from the Euro store. [I haven't played a Civilisation game in a decade or so. Back then it came on 3 1/2 inch floppy disks. :p]

The controls took a fair bit of getting used to, and throughout the whole game I kept thinking how easier it would be with a keyboard and mouse. My other complaint was the stupid noises the advisors make; going to have to find a way to turn those off.

kaching said:
Hail to the Chimp - Nice humor and presentation. I like the visual style they use in the filler material but it doesn't work as well for me in the actual game. The player models blend too well with the scenery making it difficult to distinguish what's going on.
My thoughts exactly. It's a pity that the gameplay doesn't match up to the rest of the presentation.

I'll play them again side by side today but last night it seemed that NCAA on both 360 and PS3 demo-wise was identical. I was pleasantly surprised the PS3 version wasn't gimped. I haven't bought NCAA or Madden in a long while I'm really itching to play the series again and I think I'll pick up NCAA 09 on PS3 since my Live subscription is running out and I'm not renewing it.

Brashnir

kaching said:

That and it has to be the jaggiest game I've seen this gen. There's no AA and the edges all have such high contrast that they really stand out.

I wish Wideload had made another Stubbs the Zombie game instead. :(

garath

Beq said:
Just played the NCAA demo, the cpu owned me 12-0.

I am planning on picking up a football game this year, not sure which one to pick up NCAA or Madden. Haven't bought any football game in the past 10 years.

I would get Madden. I have no particular love for college football outside of my Gators but that bias aside, I've always felt Madden is just a better football game.

Rolf NB

What is it with the black levels in these damn trailers? The PS3 squashes the range automatically during playback, if so configured, so there's absolutely no reason to pre-ruin your black levels. Watch the opening seconds of the Golden Axe and the Fatal Inertia trailers. The latter looks as it should, the former is just ... gray.
Worst offender so far must be the Prince Of Persia "debut" trailer. Looks like they "corrected" their color range multiple times. Terrible. All washed out and fugly.

Just played the Hail to the Chimp demo. God the game it terrible. It's slow and the collision detection is abysmal. On the flip side, it's fucking hilarious. Why can't the game be as good as the writing :(

Also, I can't believe this is going to be a boxed product. It feels like a game I should be paying $10 or $15 for online (only not fun).

kuYuri

Zoe said:

creamhammer.gif

Pimpwerx

I actually bought Commando3 after playing the demo. Thank god they released one. It's fun enough. Nothing special. But it's still better than my favorite whipping boy, CGC. ;)

HTTC should have been a PSN game. I would have bought it, eventhough the demo was awful. It's a nice election-year gimmick, and my gf might find it cute enough. But for a disc-game, it should be straight to the clearance rack. :( PEACE.

Beq

Neo Member
Hail to the Chimp is for retail? and not downloadable?

I thought it was a xbl or psn game, lol. Paying $40+ for that... thing... is outrageous

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
chubigans said:
:lol

This is a server-side error that is being sorted out at the moment. It should be good to go by next week at the latest.
I STILL get an error message when trying to update my GT5:p.

Lain

S. L. said:
am i doing it wrong or does the Metal Gear Database thing doesn't work with euro gamesaves?

It doesn't work with euro gamesaves. You have to wait next week for a database that works with euro savegames.

buffi

Banned
Nice. The pain update actually fixed my Pain :)
It always crashed when trying to play the Fun with Explosives addon before, but it works fine now.

duckroll

Heads up, today's JP store update will have the following Game Archive titles:

Xenogears
Einhander
Astronoka
Rakugaki Showtime
Raystorm
Fighters Impact

600yen each.

kenta

Has no PEINS
duckroll said:

Xenogears
Einhander
whoa whoa whoa whoa wait whoa whoa

Square Enix is actually supporting the PSN now? Everyone always dismissed them since they seemed to rather re-release the games on their own for full price, this seems like a pretty big turnaround. A good one though!

And why did you call them Game Archive titles?

Edit: Ah! I see you started a completely new thread about this

duckroll said:

Xenogears
Einhander
Astronoka
Rakugaki Showtime
Raystorm
Fighters Impact

600yen each.

Any of those playable if you don't understand Japanese at all?

Remy

kenta said:
whoa whoa whoa whoa wait whoa whoa

This.

Expect screaming to the high heavens if this is the case and there's no US release. And you know there won't be a US release.

I may have to go buy another points card so I can grab Einhander.

Top Bottom