• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Says JoyCon Wireless Issues Were Caused By 'Manufacturing Variation'

Interfectum

There is no design issue with the Joy-Con controllers, and no widespread proactive repair or replacement effort is underway. A manufacturing variation has resulted in wireless interference with a small number of the left Joy-Con. Moving forward this will not be an issue, as the manufacturing variation has been addressed and corrected at the factory level.

We have determined a simple fix can be made to any affected Joy-Con to improve connectivity.

There are other reasons consumers may be experiencing wireless interference. We are asking consumers to contact our customer support team so we can help them determine if a repair is necessary. If it is, consumers can send their controller directly to Nintendo for the adjustment, free of charge, with an anticipated quick return of less than a week. Repair timing may vary by region. For help with any hardware or software questions, please visit http://support.nintendo.com.

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-says-joycon-wireless-issues-were-caused-by-man-1793530147

Good to see them addressing it directly. As I have two sets that work fine and my originals only had the issue, I figured it was something of this nature.

Griss

Well, that's good news, and it's what it looked like from the start, considering that it was clearly a hardware issue and only certain people were affected.

Glad to know that by the time I buy in this won't be a worry.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
That is some fine legalese for we fucked up. Their simple fix is you waiting a week for a hopefully fixed product. Good on them I guess for kind of admitting they goofed and fixing it

Kotaku said:
Moving forward this will not be an issue, as the manufacturing variation has been addressed and corrected at the factory level.

We have determined a simple fix can be made to any affected Joy-Con to improve connectivity.

Seems like this case is closed.

psychotron

Do you need to provide a serial number for your switch when you call? I want to replace my joycons asap but I'm at work.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I guess it took so long to comment on it because they were trying to find the right term that doesn't make them too liable. Manufacturing variation, this is good one.

Scrawnton

"small number of the left Joy-Con"...
I mean, a lot of gaffers aren't having the issue. Nintendo knows how many they sold and how many reported issues. If its less than half then "small" is accurate. If it's more than half then they're being intentionally misleading.

LQX

Great they addressed it. Now the defenders or its "overblown" people can stop.

Also, they really should be offering cross ship for something like this. This will leave people without Zelda for a week or more. Fuck that. Send it after you complete Zelda.

OryoN

I mentioned this just today in that other thread; All signs pointed to a quality-control issue, and can easily be rectified by tightening that process. It's great to have an officially statement.

Great they addressed it. Now the defenders or its "overblown" people can stop.

Also, they really should be offering cross ship for something like this. This will leave people without Zelda for a week or more. Fuck that. Send it after you complete Zelda.

They're fixing the actual controller you send in.

"Manufacturing Variation" is an incredible way to word "we fucked up while QA".

The prototypes that go through extensive QA were not part of the initial factory batch that had issues. Those were made and packaged months before and being a small batch/issue, it's not surprising the sample size may have missed some bad ones

hatchx

Banned
Well mine are definitely affected. Both of my joy cons have such weak range. I'll be sending mine in eventually.

I guess it took so long to comment on it because they were trying to find the right term that doesn't make them too liable. Manufacturing variation, this is good one.
Less than a few weeks is a long time? And it is a good one, and they did mess up, but do we definitively know there weren't different factories and suppliers involved here?

burgerdog

So do we have to call? Would prefer to do it online but I'm not seeing anything on their site other than the usual shit like make sure it's charged and decrease distance between switch and joy con.

Peltz

Glad to see them correcting this issue with quick turn around time and no cost to the consumer.

By the way, Nintendo may be technically correct by saying it's not a design flaw.

A design flaw would mean that there's an issue even if the manufacturing process goes as designed. A manufacturing flaw is when the manufacturing process doesn't produce an item per the design's specifications with enough consistency.

"Manufacturing variation" is just marketing gobbly-gook.

Hasney

I've tested mine to death, and they work from the living room when the Switch is hooked up in my streaming setup in the next room, so I'm good thankfully.Think they should just send an extra one for those that are affected instead of being without the left joycon though.

That's reasonable. They must be lying about fixing this.

Yeah, like most monitor manufacturers with their policies on dead pixels too.

Zalman

Glad they're addressing it. I've been trying to replicate the issue, but mine seem to work completely fine.

Geg

Considering they said pixels are not defects I take what they say with a grain of salt.

Well yeah, I'm pretty sure pixels are intended.

Anyway glad to hear they're addressing this. I was one of the ones having left joycon problems but now I've switched to always using the pro controller when playing in docked mode so I'm not sure how much it'll affect me anymore.

That's reasonable. They must be lying about fixing this.
You realize that there was literally a thread about them fixing it through replacements, right?

EDIT: ah ok it's /s, cool.

"No widespread repair or replacement effort is underway."

That is a mistake.

You don't repair every joycon when only a certain number of them were affected by a QA gaffe. They just aren't telling everyone to send their joycon in. If you think your joycon is one of the defects, and you're under warranty, send it in. It's not a recall effort.

"No widespread repair or replacement effort is underway."

That is a mistake.
Why? All reports seem to point to this issue effecting a small number of people. The fact that they're doing this for free and it's a quick turnaround is good enough.

Top Bottom