• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Says JoyCon Wireless Issues Were Caused By 'Manufacturing Variation'

Well at least the problem was identified and is being rectified. Feeling a lot better about waiting until the holidays to pick this thing up.

ViolentP

They may be off by a few days, but it was announced the week before release by some press. It wasn't a month though. Like 3 weeks maybe.

I would have liked them to address it immediately, but as someone who's seen how it's an act of God at times to get
corporate to acknowledge something, I know why they didn't.

Polygon reported the issue on February 23rd.

Lothars

The press embargo wasn't even lifted up to a month ago. You guys are just making shit up at this point
The only one making shit up is you. I can see articles from at least february 23rd but I am positive that the information was starting to come up before that day.

It's kind of surprising; I had no idea so many people downright hated Nintendo.

It's been a really eye-opening few weeks with the Switch launch.
I love Nintendo and I ended up returning my Switch but will pick one up in the fall.

Well at least the problem was identified and is being rectified. Feeling a lot better about waiting until the holidays to pick this thing up.

I mean, if you can wait months until the holidays to get the system, I don't see why waiting a few days for repair (assuming you got a faulty joycon) would be an issue

ViolentP

It's kind of surprising; I had no idea so many people downright hated Nintendo.

It's been a really eye-opening few weeks with the Switch launch.

There is a huge difference between hating a company and not giving them undue praise. I give them credit for willing to resolve it on their dime, but I do not credit them for being so late to address this.

Polygon reported the issue on February 23rd.

Damn! I thought it was a few days before.

In my defense, I had lost a family member around that time(the 21st actually), so my memory may have been a bit off.

There is a huge difference between hating a company and not giving them undue praise. I give them credit for willing to resolve it on their dime, but I do not credit them for being so late to address this.
I don't think your comments are the unreasonable ones most people are referencing (at least I hope not).

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
They may be off by a few days, but it was announced the week before release by some press. It wasn't a month though. Like 3 weeks maybe.

I would have liked them to address it immediately, but as someone who's seen how it's an act of God at times to get
corporate to acknowledge something, I know why they didn't.

Didn't Reggie say during an interview shortly after launch that they were aware of the problems and were looking into it?

I imagine they wanted to confirm the problem, develop a solution, and confirm that the manufacturing issue was fixed before making any sort of official statement on the matter.

The only one making shit up is you. I can see articles from at least february 23rd but I am positive that the information was starting to come up before that day.

Yes, because Feburary 23 was when the embargo was lifted. Meaning when they were first allowed to say ANYTHING. So unless you were reading places that blatantly broke embargo rules, no, you didn't say anything before that day

Lothars

Yes, because Feburary 23 was when the embargo was lifted. Meaning when they were first allowed to say ANYTHING. So unless you were reading places that blatantly broke embargo rules, no, you didn't say anything before that day
I am pretty sure there were reports on gaf regarding it before that. again it doesn't change the fact that it was an issue right from the beginning and it took them a month to address it.

Kindekuma

Banned
Glad Nintendo recognizes the issue and is offering free fixes. Awesome stuff for those who have the Joy-Con issues.

So far in my 60+ hours using the system with Zelda and Snipperclips, only once has the L Joy-Con not register being attached to the screen, but that was fixed with a simple press of the pair button. Otherwise flawless experience.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Holy shit dude...you are really nitpicking the date when the actual issue is what is important and has been known for almost a month.

Didn't Reggie say during an interview shortly after launch that they were aware of the problems and were looking into it?

I imagine they wanted to confirm the problem, develop a solution, and confirm that the manufacturing issue was fixed before making any sort of official statement on the matter.

Most likely, I've been on the ground floor of discovering issues that require recall and such. It typically takes a couple of weeks of the issue being reported constantly before HQ would even start looking at it. Things would only go faster if one of the bigger blogs picked up on it.

Doesn't make it ok, but that can be how it goes sadly. That's why I always suggest calling in and reporting an issue immediately. That information does get looked at by the right people.

Amazing how it only seems to be the left joycon. Do they make them in separate factories like twix's?

1280-twix-ideologies-campaign.jpg

So my left Joycon is a piece of shit. I'm a customer who's called their support like two dozen times before in reference to product and replacements, and have consoles registered to my name from back in the GC era. In the past, bringing that up has enabled me to recieve outright replacements for parts and accessories, and I'd just send in my defective product using a label that come with and never think about it again. I'm not sure if they only do that for products where the description makes it sound completely unusable or irreparable... what are the odds they'd do that here?

So my left Joycon is a piece of shit. I'm a customer who's called their support like two dozen times before in reference to product and replacements, and have consoles registered to my name from back in the GC era. In the past, bringing that up has enabled me to recieve outright replacements for parts and accessories, and I'd just send in my defective product using a label that come with and never think about it again. I'm not sure if they only do that for products where the description makes it sound completely unusable or irreparable... what are the odds they'd do that here?

I don't think anyone could say as different reps may handle it differently. Best to just call and see.

Holy shit dude...you are really nitpicking the date when the actual issue is what is important and has been known for almost a month.

Please. If the actual issue was important this thread wouldn't be filled with people still complaining despite being offered a free repair.

This is people nitpicking about a console most of them probably don't own, about issues most of them probably don't have even if they own it, and even if both of those were true, would have only affected them for at most less than 3 weeks since the vast majority aren't in the press and weren't given early review units

Amazing how it only seems to be the left joycon. Do they make them in separate factories like twix's?

Is this actually a thing? Do I need to buy twix's and test this?!

I am pretty sure there were reports on gaf regarding it before that. again it doesn't change the fact that it was an issue right from the beginning and it took them a month to address it.

A month is not a totally unreasonable amount of time to identify that there is a problem, determine what the problem is, ascertain how widespread it is, isolate its cause, and come up with and implement a solution.

Admittedly, step #3 probably played a big tole in determining how much attention was given to the problem.

As long as you state a covered problem to CS, I think you're good to send it in

I'm asking if there's any chance I could get them to just send me a replacement left joycon outright with a shipping label so I can send my old one in. Like if anyone here has gotten that treatment. Probably not, but I mean they've done it for me before.

I don't think anyone could say as different reps may handle it differently. Best to just call and see.

Aight, I'll just call in and see.

guek

Banned
If you have a grey joycon and don't want to go without for a week, go buy a new left joycon from a brick and mortar store, swap them out, and return the defective unit.

Neon owners are unfortunately SOL though and will have to send it in.

... Some people really need better comprehension. It's not hard to understand.

The design of the Joycons themselves are perfectly fine, there's no signal strength issue with the inherit DESIGN.

Manufacturing Variation clearly means in a different factory, or a different line, some Joycons were fudged while being produced, thus making this issue.

"Manufacturing Variation" isn't just BS thrown around, it makes sense if you consider some Joycons work fine and some don't. It's not like every single product individually is checked.

To dumb it down to extreme levels

"Duhhh somewhere that makes these made some that didn't get made so good, duhhh."

If you have a grey joycon and don't want to go without for a week, go buy a new left joycon from a brick and mortar store, swap them out, and return the defective unit.

That's an incredibly huge dick move.

Totakeke

Manufacturing variation means manufacturing variation. QA is based on sampling and that means it's supposed to be a control mechanism but it doesn't catch everything.

xxracerxx

Don't be an ass. You are just causing a headache for another person when it is more than fine to wait a bit for a replacement (and hopefully they send you a new one while you hold onto your old one).

mindatlarge

Been using a Pro controller since launch so haven't spent really any time with the Joy-Cons. Looks like I should and test out if there's an issue with my left one.

ViolentP

Neon and Grey unit owners that want to do this are SOL as they are terrible human beings.

Silvard

Irrelevant to the topic tbh.

But you were the one who brought it up.

In reality no one but Nintendo has the data to know how widespread this issue is. So either you take what they say at face value or you assume they're being intentionally misleading. Personal anecdotes have no place as supporting arguments for either side.

Why does it seem like despite Nintendo addressing this a mere two and half weeks after launch, and providing speedy free repairs, people are still desperately trying to find something to complain about?

People have every right to complain about a defect in a product they bought, from how long it has taken them to address it, the inconvenience of having to ship out your controls and be unable to use your device for up to a week, to the fact that this happened at all. The bolded is the least Nintendo could do in terms of dealing with this problem, it doesn't dispel or prevent complaints nor criticism.

People do realize that Nintendo doesn't make the hardware and that the factory is responsible for QA after the initial test batch is made that obviously didn't have the issue when Nintendo tested them, right?

It seems people have no clue of the logistics of how these are made. Nintendo isn't making these out back in a shed somewhere.

This argument is a bit ridiculous. It's their product, of course they are responsible. It doesn't matter if they're the ones who are physically manufacturing the units or not. It's up to them to exact and oversee the standards involved in every part of the process of manufacturing their product. Nintendo deals with Foxconn, everyone else deals with Nintendo. As far as anyone is concerned, this is 100% on Nintendo.

shiyrley

Banned
Ugh, I really don't want to send mine in. In where I live, I would easily be joyconless for like a month lol. I think I'll send them in when I buy a second pair eventually.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Take it easy Detective Dan.

I prefer the name Detective Dog.

Irrelevant to the topic tbh. It has been well established that it is a minority of people who experience problems.

You go out of the way to say you've never met anyone that has had the issue and include that you surely have not had the issue either.

I find it incredulous that you have met enough Switch owners to make a somewhat accurate statement on personally seeing whether the issue exists in substantial or insubstantial number and that your anecdote was irrelevant.

jmizzal

Nintendo took the time to find the what was causing the problem and is offering a free solution and wont manufacturer any more with the issue in the future, and some people are still complaining LOL

Rushing a solution was never the answer, they needed to find out what was causing it and where did it started to fix it.

What the fuck man?

RMI

Banned
I don't see what the issue with this statement is. If it wasn't designed this way, it's not a design flaw.

xxracerxx

Ugh, I really don't want to send mine in. In where I live, I would easily be joyconless for like a month lol. I think I'll send them in when I buy a second pair eventually.

I am going to assume this will be a limited time offer to replace the defective units. Probably the next 6 months.

Somnid

I guess we'll see in a few months how prevalent this is. It's not like nobody will have connection issues from here on out, but I hopefully they'll be less common.

Though I've never actually used the Jon-con without attaching them, so perhaps I'll have to check mine out.

I prefer the name Detective Dog.

You go out of the way to say you've never met anyone that has had the issue and include that you surely have not had the issue either.

I find it incredulous that you have met enough Switch owners to make a somewhat accurate statement on personally seeing whether the issue exists in substantial or insubstantial number and that your anecdote was irrelevant.

This is exactly why I didn't post the number, because I knew you were completely uninterested in discussion and instead wanted a ninja attack on what I said because it was an anecdote.

It affecting a minority of people is a fact backed up by Nintendo itself, and no amount of internet outrage with change that.

Top Bottom