• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shenmue III to be published by Deep Silver, details for Gamescom meet and greet

addik

I like the environments and Ryo's model.
Shenhua looks bad. Her eyebrows are too curved and thin. They should aim for the model used in this render:
https://i.pinimg.com/736x/bb/be/29/bbbe2923b0595a1fbd2e84592855730b---life-anime-girls.jpg

Btw they have all the time to tweak the models, the thing I'm more interested about is finding out how the whole game is shaping up.
Are they going to showcase a trailer at gamescom? I hope Yu Suzuki is not going there just for a meet and greet....

IIRC, they will reveal the game's status in Gamescom (so sort of a re-reveal)--something which they initially planned for E3. I know that they prioritized that over the meet and greet, which is the first time I'm hearing of actually. In their original announcement, they said they just thought of doing something public for the fans since they'll be showing the game on the private rolms.

Spaghetti

I dont think the problem is about Passport/CGI/ingame models. It's just that the models have a bad direction here. For Ryo though, it's close. But as I said, skin tone, hair color, jacket color needs to change. And a few traits tweak.
No, there's definitely a problem with a lack of consensus on what Ryo should look like.

I've seen plenty of comments about how he should look in the old games, but then posting promo art or the Passport model as an example, but... he didn't look like that. He looked like this:

3d9c563069dde03f398acade99dd9f05.jpg

Which is near analogous to the new model (albeit some changes could be made to bring it closer), and clearly what YSnet were aiming for (if you remember that the above image's face was photoshopped onto Ryo's body in a screen last December).

The memory is getting in the way of the reality here, for Ryo's model at least.

Are they going to showcase a trailer at gamescom? I hope Yu Suzuki is not going there just for a meet and greet....
From the Gamescom announcement KS update:

we plan to show our newest movie clips, share the latest updates and even make some new announcements.

There will be video content at Gamescom. A trailer? IDK. I would say maybe not if you're expecting a highly-produced flashy cinematic style trailer.

I'm personally expecting one of the videos to be similar to what 10K backers saw in Japan last year; which was an overview of the environments.Not sure what to expect besides that, but the door is open for some vignettes about gameplay.

Spaghetti

Sorry for the bump but;

I made a final adjustment/clean up to my Photoshop tweaking of the model.

iAxMgxd.jpg

Also, I managed to find Ryo hiding in the shot of the Great Wall of China in the OP. Gives you a sense of the scale going on in that location, it's fucking huge!

jRD9Yu6.jpg

Switch over on the Shenmue Dojo also noticed this in the poster image in the OP:

FIwEksH.png

They appear to be boards with images with drawings of people on them. It's possible they could be a stand-in for NPC placements, or maybe they're part of a shopfront?

Speaking of shops, Shenmue III may have quite a few more things to buy than previous games, and places to buy them. We know there will be ones for fishing equipment and martial arts already, but Yu mentioned a costume change feature may be included which could indicate clothes too. Also, Switch's translation of some text on a projection of a computer screen from the March update seemed to hint at a gift system of some kind...

orient

Neo Member
^Neat find.

I understand people being skeptical, but using a piece of promo art to cast doubt on the entire game is not only completely overblown but totally counter-productive, too. We should be supportive and show faith in the dev team, who have the impossible task of making a sequel to one of the most beloved series ever on a small budget.

Also, have people considered that Yu Suzuki and his art director have the freedom to make these characters look however they like? It's their game, and either you trust their vision or you don't. The Shenmue III we're getting now is not going to be the Shenmue III we would've got in 2002 or whatever, for a thousand different reasons. Come to terms with it.

With the announcement that Sega will not publish S3 is it safe to assume there's a lower chance Sega will publish a S1 & 2 HD Collection prior to S3? I don't know why I backed S3 really. I've never laid a finger in either prequels and there's no easy way of playing them (I've never owned a DC or Xbox).

I'd buy the shit out of a rerelease of the originals and seeing Sega not giving a damn saddens me.

Pensé

Neo Member
Basing on the fact that Sega launched plenty of Shenmue goodies since the E3 announcement, I would say Sega definitely wants to make money on this. Sega does wish but can Sega act? Hard to respond for many reasons. Personally, I believe they will.

Spaghetti

With the announcement that Sega will not publish S3 is it safe to assume there's a lower chance Sega will publish a S1 & 2 HD Collection prior to S3?
No. We knew from day one SEGA wasn't going to publish Shenmue III, so this news has basically no impact on a HD collection.

Oddly enough, shacking up with Deep Silver has kinda brought Shenmue III closer to SEGA by proxy.

Spaghetti

Double post again on the same page (sorry), but:

vFAlJlb.png

(source)

Translation from Switch: "I'll be heading to Gamescom now".

It begins.

It's going to be a long ass flight, so he'll probably be in Germany late Sunday evening, possibly Monday morning CET.

Current estimates for the Shenmue III showing are Tuesday or Wednesday. Tuesday because it's the press day, Wednesday because Yu's meet n' greet is scheduled for late in the evening rather than midday like the one on Thursday.

Not exactly sure what the rules are on making threads in advance, but seeing how we know something is going to happen, and there being rolling coverage from fans at the event, I'm probably going to put a thread up shortly before Gamescom opens on Tuesday so people can discover the news as it happens and have a place to discuss/speculate/complain/cry with joy.

AHK_Hero

I'll look out for your thread Spaghetti, always appreciate your posts.

Please continue to spread the good news of Shenmue III and enlighten the heathens and non-believers.

I'll look out for your thread Spaghetti, always appreciate your posts.

Please continue to spread the good news of Shenmue III and enlighten the heathens and non-believers.

Seconded. I'll also keep a look out for your thread too man. Looking forward to joining the hype train around Monday night.

Also always appreciate your thoughtful and insightful posts. Excited for Gamescom.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I missed this but think it's fine. I wonder if DeepSilver is helping give them some monay. If they can get to like $15MM in total funds you're in real game territory.

I missed this but think it's fine. I wonder if DeepSilver is helping give them some monay. If they can get to like $15MM in total funds you're in real game territory.

So now I'm kind of confused about Sony's involvement. They're not publishing it as was originally thought, so are they at least producing?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
No, they didn't bring us Persona 5 or Yakuza Kiwami. They localized titles that they had nothing to do with the development of. Do we credit Ghostlight for SMT Nocturne (Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry series!) now? And it's generally agreed around here that Trails in the Sky is a Falcom game, not an XSEED game.

Ride to Hell, Agents of Mayhem, Gat out of Hell, Dead Island, Homefront: The Revolution, Mighty No. 9, various PirhannaBytes games, and many, many more - These are all things that were developed under the editorial oversight, funding, and worldwide publishing of Deep Silver, and all turned out as janky pieces of garbage that were critically panned.

I agree that publishers should have some editorial responsibility for what they publish, but shouldn't the same rule apply? They don't get credit for editorial input on SMT, but do we really think they're responsible for why Mighty Number 9 is bad?

Deep Silver is just picking up titles in a space that isn't quite as competitive in terms of large publishers competing for independent studios. They have Bloodstained too.

Spaghetti

Thanks guys.

It's going to be nice to finally see the game in motion (outside of the really brief glimpses at the start of the year).

Still a long road until release, though. Another year to a year and a half, if plans to release in the 2nd half of 2018 stick.

I'm pretty much ready to be blown away by the environments. The poster image in the OP has a pretty spectacular look at the mouth of Choubu's port, with so many great details like the accumulated grime on the rooftops, the small fishing boat near the other side of the river, the vegetation covering the mountains, etc.

Hard to believe that just two years ago this environment was nothing more than a quick sketch on an art pad:

Choubu%20Village001.jpg

Spaghetti

So now I'm kind of confused about Sony's involvement. They're not publishing it as was originally thought, so are they at least producing?
Sony's involvement right now seems to be that the title is still under Third Party Productions umbrella for supervision, assistance, etc, but the Deep Silver announcement press release also confirmed the game as a PS4 console exclusive so they're probably still holding up their marketing agreement.

I agree that publishers should have some editorial responsibility for what they publish, but shouldn't the same rule apply? They don't get credit for editorial input on SMT, but do we really think they're responsible for why Mighty Number 9 is bad?

Deep Silver is just picking up titles in a space that isn't quite as competitive in terms of large publishers competing for independent studios. They have Bloodstained too.
I missed that poster's reply to me, but I basically would have said more or less the same as you.

They're also carefully ignoring that the game got around to two thirds into its development cycle before this deal was even announced, but it wouldn't be the first time logic has gotten in the way of cynical attitudes to Shenmue III.

Also, what kind of publisher has a business model of expressively picking up only bad games?

I think there is some serious reaching from certain people to try and paint this as a bad thing when in reality; it's actually pretty encouraging. At the very least it's probably why the game can now have an extra year to a year and a half in the oven.

Excellent posts and insight as always Spaghetti. To add to the discussion:

From what I recall, publishing deals almost always include money in some form, so given their recent announcement indicating a lengthy delay I wouldn't be surprised if this deal specifically came about to provide extra funding to cover Shenmue 3's development in to late 2018.

Then again the game's funding seems to be a closely guarded secret, so perhaps this isn't the case at all.

Excited for Gamescom next week. Hoping for a trailer or something close to one. It'll be lovely to see how the game is shaping up.

Can't believe it's almost time, this has been an insane month for fans of SEGA - Sonic Mania, Yakuza Kiwami coming up and Shenmue 3 reveal. Just great times all around.

Pensé

Neo Member
Regarding Gamescom, my expectations are very low. Private media sessions, no news about any voice acting recording, no direct involvement from Sony. Everything smells the no-show trailer. However, with confirmed video footage and the presence of Yu-san, there's little room for disappointment. Next days will mark an important milestone of our perception of Shenmue 3.

_Ryo_

Pensé;246568296 said:
Regarding Gamescom, my expectations are very low. Private media sessions, no news about any voice acting recording, no direct involvement from Sony. Everything smells the no-show trailer. However, with confirmed video footage and the presence of Yu-san, there's little room for disappointment. Next days will mark an important milestone of our perception of Shenmue 3.

Or.. maybe just don't have high expectations. Yu Suzuki is the type of guy that likes to keep things close to his vest until late as possible. Don't go in expecting a full on trailer or story elements because that's not happening. At least until game shows next year.

Character models
Locations
Game mechanics such as mini games/fighting/object interactivity/day&night-weather cycle, etc

those are the type of things that are on the table, Imho.

Spaghetti

Excellent posts and insight as always Spaghetti. To add to the discussion:

From what I recall, publishing deals almost always include money in some form, so given their recent announcement indicating a lengthy delay I wouldn't be surprised if this deal specifically came about to provide extra funding to cover Shenmue 3's development in to late 2018.

Then again the game's funding seems to be a closely guarded secret, so perhaps this isn't the case at all.

Excited for Gamescom next week. Hoping for a trailer or something close to one. It'll be lovely to see how the game is shaping up.
Best to err on the side of caution when it comes to Shenmue III and funding, and wait until something is confirmed. Although the fairly quick succession of delay to new publisher obviously has connotations.

Pensé;246568296 said:
Regarding Gamescom, my expectations are very low. Private media sessions, no news about any voice acting recording, no direct involvement from Sony. Everything smells the no-show trailer.
I wouldn't get bogged down about the bolded, it's basically business as usual for showing games at a trade show, and as far as we can assume right now at least the video content shown to the press will also be available to backers simultaneously.

But yeah, if you were expecting a slick cinematic trailer it's not happening here. Which is in itself pretty interesting, because whatever is shown might be more mechanical and systems oriented.

I'm personally keeping my fingers crossed for combat. It was one of the first things the team began working on way back in 2015, so it might possibly be ready to show by now.

Uhyve

Sorry for the bump but;

iAxMgxd.jpg
Honestly, his face is entirely wrong to me. His nose is too long, his head is too wide, his eyelids look oddly realistic compared to the rest of his face, his jaw isn't sharp enough, his brow is too pronounced.

I mean, this is still way off but...
iaxmgxdxdsh0.png

That's pretty much just removing some detail and squishing his head down a bit.

Pensé

Neo Member
I wouldn't get bogged down about the bolded, it's basically business as usual for showing games at a trade show, and as far as we can assume right now at least the video content shown to the press will also be available to backers simultaneously.

But yeah, if you were expecting a slick cinematic trailer it's not happening here. Which is in itself pretty interesting, because whatever is shown might be more mechanical and systems oriented.

I'm personally keeping my fingers crossed for combat. It was one of the first things the team began working on way back in 2015, so it might possibly be ready to show by now.

Sure. I meant the lack of conference on public stage reduces obviously the likelihood that a real trailer comes out although I've still a secret hope about it, like everyone else. Incoming videos and Yu's explanations are definitely going to be great but getting both concept videos and a DreamOn trailer alike would have really been the icing on the cake.

Combat wow, you're ambitious! That's the last thing I expect to see next week. Tbh, that's also the part I'm the most pessimistic with. The inheritance is so massive that the slightest change from the original system might feel very uncomfortable to us and Yu wants to build it from scratch (free decision that I fully approve). Very intrigued by the new combat system as well, getting more information would be fantastic.

Spaghetti

Pensé;246572582 said:
Sure. I meant the lack of conference on public stage reduces obviously the likelihood that a real trailer comes out although I've still a secret hope about it, like everyone else. Incoming videos and Yu's explanations are definitely going to be great but getting both concept videos and a DreamOn trailer alike would have really been the icing on the cake.

Combat wow, you're ambitious! That's the last thing I expect to see next week. Tbh, that's also the part I'm the most pessimistic with. The inheritance is so massive that the slightest change from the original system might feel very uncomfortable to us and Yu wants to build it from scratch (free decision that I fully approve). Very intrigued by the new combat system as well, getting more information would be fantastic.
Hey, if you want to dream about it, that's cool. As long as you're ready to keep a level head if a trailer doesn't show up, you'll be fine.

I don't think it's too ambitious considering fighting is a big part of the series, but I can understand if YSnet want to keep that stuff under wraps until it's more complete or for a more appropriate showing. I can understand a little skepticism about the new fighting engine considering they kind of have to develop from scratch, but I wouldn't be afraid.

By and large the new engine is being made with the same mindset that the original was created with when branching from Virtua Fighter. I think in an interview Yu basically admitted many of the stretch goals were for things that had been a part of the fighting sections in the past, but would be upgraded for III.

The combat in the originals, as much as I love it, could use a few quality of life improvements anyway. AI Battling for example, should allow Ryo to dynamically step into an attack if he's just about out of range to hit the target, rather than punching air. More simplified controls? Yeah, sure. With a potentially large emphasis on strategy, divide and conquer tactics, and using the environment to your advantage, slavishly adhering to strict fighting game inputs might be too large a disadvantage to the player.

Ideally I'd love to see the counter system return with a bunch of variations for moves and environmental takedowns. Yu did say he was very interested in the possibilities of animation blending so... you never know.

Honestly, his face is entirely wrong to me. His nose is too long, his head is too wide, his eyelids look oddly realistic compared to the rest of his face, his jaw isn't sharp enough, his brow is too pronounced.
I'm not really going to get into the debate about facial features, but R.E the bolded; nah.

Ryo is basically a big :mad: face. Like one of his most defining traits are an expressive set of eyebrows. Albeit mostly expressing sternness, anger, annoyance, and assorted revenge feelings. Kinda makes me wonder if that was an intentional part of his design so the character could show emotion despite being pretty far removed from what an actual human face would be like.

I sorta like what you've done with the eyes, although it gives Ryo monolid eyes which actually most iterations of his design don't have. It does make him look a bit squinty... but I could get used to the idea of Ryo walking around China like Clint Eastwood in a Western.

Either way the point that I'm making with the Photoshop is that the parts are there to keep iterating until a more accurate (or aesthetically pleasing, but some people tend to mix the two up) Ryo emerges. The game won't be out for another 12-16 months, and I can't see model revisions not making the "to-do" list.

Uhyve

Either way the point that I'm making with the Photoshop is that the parts are there to keep iterating until a more accurate (or aesthetically pleasing, but some people tend to mix the two up) Ryo emerges. The game won't be out for another 12-16 months, and I can't see model revisions not making the "to-do" list.
This is true. It's just that I keep seeing pictures of characters I know and love, and they just look weird to me. I know at least partially, it's because the graphical style is different. But also, I think the mix between realistic and cartoony is messing with me. The eyes in particular really throw me off, the realistic-ish eyelids mixed with the almost anime looking eyes/iris.

Heh, I probably did go a bit far with the eyes though in my edit, I was trying to mimic the eye shape from the original game, ended up quite clint eastwood-y like you say.

But yeah, I think you are definitely on to something with the brow, it's absolutely a design decision, but if you look at my edit, the eyebrow is still very pronounced, but I made the muscle above the eyebrow look more natural. If they're gonna go with a more realistic style, I don't think that they can get away with something so pronounced. The brow muscle is almost an outline in the original, it's ridiculous.

Edit: Weirdly, I think the hairline being slightly off might be one of the main things that makes him not quite look like Ryo. In the original, it's more rounded at the left and right top inner edges, and is a tiny bit lower. Also his hair on the sides should be less messy, though that's probably intentional since the new hair style looks alittle more stylish.

Edit 2: Am I crazy though, my edit looks more like Ryo though, right?

Spaghetti

Received a message this morning via the Kickstarter about something I asked a month ago about release plans for the Gamescom news/footage/etc.

As for anything released at gamescom, it will be made immediately available for the public. No worries there!

Thanks much
Joel & the Shenmue III Team

So there we go. No need to worry about waiting or only getting part of what the media sees.

ajim

Received a message this morning via the Kickstarter about something I asked a month ago about release plans for the Gamescom news/footage/etc.

So there we go. No need to worry about waiting or only getting part of what the media sees.
Awesome.

Thanks, spags!!

No, there's definitely a problem with a lack of consensus on what Ryo should look like.

I've seen plenty of comments about how he should look in the old games, but then posting promo art or the Passport model as an example, but... he didn't look like that. He looked like this:

3d9c563069dde03f398acade99dd9f05.jpg

Which is near analogous to the new model (albeit some changes could be made to bring it closer), and clearly what YSnet were aiming for (if you remember that the above image's face was photoshopped onto Ryo's body in a screen last December).

The memory is getting in the way of the reality here, for Ryo's model at least.

Sorry for the bump but;

iAxMgxd.jpg

But the middle one looks like Ryo and the other two don't, nothing to do with memory at all, it's in plain sight with your comparison.

Uhyve

Remember people have different perceptions. It is impossible for everyone to agree or disagree on the same thing.
While totally true.

This is how I think he should look, lol:
science4hairline3ishe.png

I won't spam this again, I made some changes and feel oddly strongly about this. They're just so close to how I imagine Ryo looks, it almost seems like they're trying to be too faithful to the original at the cost of human proportions, which would be fine, but the graphical style is slightly realistic, so it looks weird (to me at least).

After spending an embarrassing amount of time making these edits, I've got a feeling that they'll show a trailer on wednesday and it'll look perfect in motion. Stills always seem to mess with the perception of the actual model.

Business

^I think your edit looks way better and a more faithful version of the original. Their model looks like a cheap Chinese knock off.

Joqu

I somehow missed this thread, but I just want to say the Ryo model really looks fine to me. Maybe it could use some slight tweaks, but it seems to me like most of you guys are focusing too much on stuff like the angle and shaders. I mean, editing the colours? I'm pretty sure they didn't actually change them and that it's just the lighting there.

Shenhua really does look off though.

kunonabi

I guess Bird Ryo is just going to be a distraction the whole game. Hopefully, getting him into a new outfit will alleviate it somewhat.

Top Bottom