• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In-rang (2018) - Korean remake of Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade

BadWolf

Just came across this randomly on his wiki, it seems Kim Jee-woon is directing a remake of the anime Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade.

The guy has an amazing body of works:

A Tale of Two Sisters
A Bittersweet Life
The Good, the Bad, the Weird
I Saw the Devil
The Age of Shadows

The movie will very likely be excellent.

Well, that's certainly very intriguing. I haven't thought about Jin-Roh in a long time but I adore that movie and its haunting soundtrack. Not crazy about A Tale of Two Sisters but A Bittersweet Life is a masterpiece so I'm excited.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I've been saying for like a decade now that Jin Roh would probably be one of the easiest animes to adapt to live action. They could literally recreate every scene frame by frame in live action and it would still be an incredible cinematic experience. I'd heard nothing about this thought which is surprising considering the director and the property but as long as they have the bad ass armor and can create the haunting and melancholy mood of the film and give us that incredibly sad ending them I'm all for it. Seriously the original anime has one of the best endings I've seen, it still wrecks me to this day.

tumblr_o043btXwJ81v3sqb3o1_500.gif

qcf x2

I've been saying for like a decade now that Jin Roh would probably be one of the easiest animes to adapt to live action. They could literally recreate every scene frame by frame in live action and it would still be an incredible cinematic experience. I'd heard nothing about this thought which is surprising considering the director and the property but as long as they have the bad ass armor and can create the haunting and melancholy mood of the film and give us that incredibly sad ending them I'm all for it. Seriously the original anime has one of the best endings I've seen, it still wrecks me to this day.

Yep, this could be excellent.

Jacob

Jin-Roh is one of my favorite anime movies so I'm curious to see how this turns out. I'm not familiar with Kim Jee-woon's work but it's heartening that people here seem to think that it's a good sign.

How prevalent is the Little Red Riding Hood references?

I'm interested. Unlike many live action anime adaptations with stupid silly costumes that don't translate well to live action, this film can work very well if taken as seriously as the source.

Since Jin Roh translates to "Wolf Man" in English(at least that's what Wikipedia tells me), does that mean In-Rang is the Korean version of Wolf Man? Or does it translate to Wolf Brigade or something else entirely? Just wondering about the title.

I also wonder if they'll portray themselves as Japanese or as Koreans that were conquered by the Germans. Or choose another country since they can make up some new stuff while still telling the same story.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Since Jin Roh translates to "Wolf Man" in English(at least that's what Wikipedia tells me), does that mean In-Rang is the Korean version of Wolf Man? Or does it translate to Wolf Brigade or something else entirely? Just wondering about the title.

I also wonder if they'll portray themselves as Japanese or as Koreans that were conquered by the Germans or maybe some other country since they can make up some new stuff while still telling the same story.

I suppose they could do something relating to the North and South Korea conflict.

I suppose they could do something relating to the North and South Korea conflict.

Now that you say it, that's a easy path to choose. It could be a Korea in the 60's or 70's after the North wins the Korean war. Or even go as far as making it the modern day with a more technologically advance Korea in the hands of the Kim family dictatorship. I'm interested to see what kind of changes they choose to make because I don't see a 100% remake.

the closing shootout in A Bittersweet Life is one of the best action scenes of this century, and the rest of his career ain't exactly hurting for well executed spectacle either.

but then again, I'd be there for him pretty much regardless of source material, he's a great filmmaker, full stop. Hell, he even made a pretty good Schwarzenegger flick despite not even speaking English.

He's a perfectionist and a genius with the camera. Just watch the taxi scene from "I Saw The Devil", it's on YouTube somewhere.

Seiryoden

Why mess with (near) perfection? If it references Gwangju then maybe it'll have something worthwhile to say. Won't hold my breath.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
As long as they don't make a happy ending. Amazing anime BTW.

It's a Korean movie. Do ANY Korean movies have happy endings?

Jim Roy is actually on of my most favorite anime movies. Awesome to see it's getting a live action remake.

Kite

its a movie, not a series

it's very good, i highly recommend it
It's a series.. see my post above?

Jin-Roh (人狼 Jinrō, lit. "Man-Wolf"), also known as Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade in its American release, is a 1999 Japanese animated thriller directed by Hiroyuki Okiura. The film is the third adaptation of Mamoru Oshii's Kerberos saga manga, Kerberos Panzer Cop, after the two live-action films: The Red Spectacles and StrayDog: Kerberos Panzer Cops released in 1987 and 1991 in Japanese theaters.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jin-Roh:_The_Wolf_Brigade

HotHamBoy

I haven't seen the original in many years but as I recall it belongs amongst films like Akira and Ghost in the Shell as "pinnacles of animation that aren't particularly great movies."

Love this guy's work so hopefully he can pull it off but I have a feeling budget constraints will be a key concern.

I just found out the soldiers are what inspired the look of the Helghan from Killzone.

It's a pretty clear inspiration, I remember thinking the Helghast looked like rip-offs back in the day.

ZoddGutts

Bet I'll have more of a downer movie considering it's a Korean movie. Oshii live action stuff are terrible, this will easily out do Oshii's live action version.

I hear it's very dialogue heavy. Like, It'll bore you if your not paying attention.

I don't remember it being very dialogue heavy. The thing is there are a lot of quiet moments that focuses on the environment so if you're didn't pay close enough attention to the dialog moments, you might forget what's going on.

Also don't expect to much action. People like to post gifs of the beautiful action sequences, but there's only like 3-4 of them throughout the entire movie.

Top Bottom