• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The PSP Appreciation and Collecting Thread

Accoun

I wish I could HB my Vita, if just to play my PSP games without having to rebuy them digitally, on a system that feels better in hand, can hold a better charge, has better screen and well... is in better physical condition than my PSP (like seriously, I took a look at it now and I don't remember it being that bad last time I used it).

Sadly, it was on too high firmware when I bought it. :-(

PaulBizkit

Ok, i need some advice...

I have a 32gb sd card with a pro duo adapter and, after 5 months, said adapter now has swollen a little bit and it doesn't make contact with the sd card.

Everybody sells the same generic chinese adapter here, so if I buy another one, I might end up back here in a few months.

So, I thought about buying the Memory Stick Pro HG Duo HX online for 16 dollars. Is it worth the price? Is there a better sd-to-pro duo adapter? The swollen adapter is a common issue? What card do you have?

mine don't swell, but the adhesive used to keep the plastic tight definitely wears out. it still works but is a tad finnicky. I just bought a few of them as backups.

Ophiuchus

That physical edition looks great !!

I'll upload some photos of the PSP 3000 MonHun 3rd Edition I picked up in a Super Potato in Ikebukuro

That is amazing.It would last forever for me.
Could you please suggest me a good battery?
I have to buy one but I really don't know if those batteries with higher mAh are good enough.

PaulBizkit

That is amazing.It would last forever for me.
Could you please suggest me a good battery?
I have to buy one but I really don't know if those batteries with higher mAh are good enough.

Honestly, I got lucky with a generic battery once. So, for my PSP-2000, i have the original one (lasts like 3hs max), and that new one (which lasts like 5).

Just buy one of the MonHun 3rd Edition PSPs. I don't know if there are any NEW units, but the japanese are usually careful with their consoles. So chances are, you won't get any damaged one.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_od...3rd.TRS0&_nkw=psp+monster+hunter+3rd&_sacat=0

Laws00

All this time wondered why my Ys: The Ark Of Napishtim UMD disc looked stranger then all my other ones. I thought I had a bootleg copy of the game. No, someone replaced the UMD game case on it lol

New-Replacement-UMD-Game-Clear-Shell-Case-Disc.jpg

Accoun

Yeah, they actually offered a UMD case replacement service at my local store for a while (although that weren't fully clear cases like those - just clones of the official ones, unless it was possible to salvage good condition cases from shovelware titles and old sports games nobody buys).

PaulBizkit

Yeah, they actually offered a UMD case replacement service at my local store for a while (although that weren't fully clear cases like those - just clones of the official ones, unless it was possible to salvage good condition cases from shovelware titles and old sports games nobody buys).

Ahh the ancient tradition of buying cheap-ass yearly-edition sports' games just for the box/umd case

Just curious, is there a comprehensive list of all the PSP games that had optional (or mandatory) data installs to the memory stick?

I'll upload some photos of the PSP 3000 MonHun 3rd Edition I picked up in a Super Potato in Ikebukuro

Paul, I know he extended battery in a 2000/3000 has to use a special cover that enlarges one side of the PSP. But does that special MonHun 3000 have the opposite side enlarged to match the extended battery side?!

Anyone else prefer the PSP to the Vita?

I love the design of the PSP, even now, and think that the Vita looks bloated.

I also prefer the menu system in the PSP, and think that the bubbles and nonesense on the Vita looks really bad - the bubbles look pixelated. Also, I hate the way you navigate.

The screen on my original Vita is meant to be vastly superior to the PSP, and whilst that's the case for the mk1 PSP, I think that the PSP Go looks just as good - well provided that you are viewing PSP / PS1 content that is, I appreciate that an OLED screen is a better tech, but I don't think it displays some assetts well, particularly older lower res stuff.

Prefer the size of the PSP too, plus you can use a Dual Shock with the Go, which is pretty crazy.

Really didn't enjoy any games at all on the Vita, I only seem to play stuff that I could play on the PSP, guess I should have sold it ages ago, as I havent played it in about a year.

The PSP for was a throwback to the heyday of SONY quality and technology, and I really think that they showed that you don't have to trickle out tech like Nntendo seems to do with their range of handhelds - seriously does anyone remember being really disapointed about every new Game Boy till the SP came out?

I mean check this;

Original Game Boy - what more can be said, and amazing device well chosen for it's time, and only bettered in it's era by the PC Engine GT (with a big caveat being that you really need an AC adapter ... then it linda loses its portability).

Game Boy Pocket - so 7 years later and you just make it smaller with no backlght!

Game Boy Light - this should have been the followup and not JPN exclusive and released in the early 90's.

Game Boy Color - wow still no backlight still and you really don't benefit much from the limited colour palatte. Also not that many great GBC games IMO.

GBA - It's 2001 and we still don't have a backlight.

GBA SP - It took 14 years for a true successor! At least we have a light and some 16bit power that the PC Engine GT was doing 13 years ago I suppose.

I guess with Nintendo selling good numbers every year made them want to save costs in develping new tech too quickly, so I guess the fans of the Game Boy kinda screwed themselves over by keeping it selling well. Plus there was no real competition either.

SONY made some nice improvements over the year with the PSP, culminating in the Go, although my issue with the Go is that you definately need to take advantage of using a DS, because it's not comfortable to play on the units controls.

I was on-board from day 1 with the Vita, was really intruiged by all the promos, but in the end I guess my malaise for most modern games / love for retro mean't that I couldnt really appreciate the new tech, although even though the Vita had an OLED it still didn't feel like 'Top of the range SONY quality' really.

One last thing, I'm no GB hater, I own pretty much alll the Game Boy systems (lost my original GBA years ago) including a backlit modded original Game Boy - which is so amazing, because I now can happily play tons of games whilst being able to see clearly.

I recomend Game Boy fans get themselves hold of one of these, if not, and if you have to play one of the three games that came out on the color, maybe get a GB BOY COLOUR rather than a front lit GBC as the frontlighting is awful on those modded GBC's.

I never really understand the gameboy comparisons. The gameboy line was a low powered device that sold for a low price and it never tried to be anything else.

Every other handheld tried to be the console experience in your hands and they all got 2 minutes battery and as a result Nintendos handhelds have sat at the top of the mountain since day 1.

The psp is an incredible handheld but it was a premium device sold at a premium price.

Yesterday I took a leap of faith and ordered the MonHun PSP 3000 from Amazon US. A seller had 1 available with Prime delivery in the states. They even posted a few pictures and priced at $110.00 for "very good" condition.

It arrived today and... holy mother of god, this thing is immaculate. Complete in box with a copy of MH3rd. Not a scratch on it and it even has a screen protector!

Edit: wow.... it seems like it is nearly impossible to activate a PSP without a PS3 these days. Even the method they provide to activate via a PC doesn't work.

PaulBizkit

Anyone else prefer the PSP to the Vita?

I love the design of the PSP, even now, and think that the Vita looks bloated.

I also prefer the menu system in the PSP, and think that the bubbles and nonesense on the Vita looks really bad - the bubbles look pixelated. Also, I hate the way you navigate.

Yeah, I prefer the PSP too. The Vita has a overall better screen, but, meh, the PSP is just fine. And I completely agree about the interfaces; the PSP xross media bar works perfectly and is very sleek, on the other side, those bubbles on the VITA are kind of weird.

Yesterday I took a leap of faith and ordered the MonHun PSP 3000 from Amazon US. A seller had 1 available with Prime delivery in the states. They even posted a few pictures and priced at $110.00 for "very good" condition.

It arrived today and... holy mother of god, this thing is immaculate. Complete in box with a copy of MH3rd. Not a scratch on it and it even has a screen protector!

NICE!! WELL DONE, MAN!!

How's the battery life on yours?

NICE!! WELL DONE, MAN!!

How's the battery life on yours?

I fully charged it overnight and when I checked this morning it showed about 11.5 hours. I'm happy with that!

Did you link yours to your regional PSN account with the stock 6.61 firmware? If so, how did you do it?

Seems like I'm going to need to my PS3 out of storage as the PSP wasn't designed to connect to modern WiFi security standards.

cj_iwakura

What's considered a 'reasonable' price for Elminage Original EU? Like, not making an insultingly low offer but not paying the world either.

c-murph

What's considered a 'reasonable' price for Elminage Original EU? Like, not making an insultingly low offer but not paying the world either.

I guess whatever the seller is willing to accept. I mean there literally are only 300 copies that exist and i assume most of those are in collectors hands already and that aren't willing to sell. Can't really get any estimates as nothing sold shows up on ebay. But the two that were posted wanted 1,000 and 1,500 Eur. So, might be a little out of the average collector's price range.

cj_iwakura

I guess whatever the seller is willing to accept. I mean there literally are only 300 copies that exist and i assume most of those are in collectors hands already and that aren't willing to sell. Can't really get any estimates as nothing sold shows up on ebay. But the two that were posted wanted 1,000 and 1,500 Eur. So, might be a little out of the average collector's price range.

Someone said two were on Ebay recently, but I don't see them at all. I offered someone a couple hundred, but he said it was too low.

cj_iwakura

On ebay Germany there are currently 2. One for the great price of 999€ and the other one for 1499€.

Yeah, I saw those. I really regret missing my chance, especially since I'm one of the few who plan on opening it and playing the damn game, lol. I love Elminage Original.

Galdelico

PSP Gaf, something kinda odd is happening on my PSP (and PS3), so I thought to ask here and see if you guys can help me figure it out.

Basically, all of a sudden, I can't sign in either my US and Japanese secondary accounts (my main account is European, and that works fine, with the 2-steps verification enabled), even though all the games I purchased in the past years - with US/JP PSN cards - remain perfectly playable on both my PSP (which I kept my US account signed in, due to the fact all my Minis come from the US PS Store) and PS3 consoles. I just can't seem able to sign in. The consoles - and my PC as well - keep saying my ID or password isn't correct (but they are).

I don't believe they got hacked because I've never tied any credit card or PayPal account to them, I've only used PSN cards, and surely I haven't got any notification regarding problems with the JP account, on the email that is connected to it. Unfortunately, I can't access the email I used for the US account anymore. It's very very old and I lost the password as well.

Any idea of what's going on? Of course, calling the Customer Service is not an option, as I'm neither an American or Japanese resident.

I believe a similar thing happened with my EU account too, but that was only to upgrade my security settings with the 2-steps verification, and I could actually log in. I wonder if all that means I should activate it on my secondary accounts too?

Any help would be super appreciated, thanks in advance! :)

Galdelico

^ Problem solved, thanks to a few very kind fellow Gaffers. Thank you again guys.

Apologies for the double post, but this time it's for something more related to the actual system.

Is there any simple solution to use a Dual Shock as a controller for the PSP itself?
I really want to try and see how my 2004 looks on the big screen, through the OSSC and the Sony component cable, and I'm planning to get an official cradle too, so I can leave it docked (the battery doesn't keep the charge anymore, and third party packs seem pretty pants, as far as I read, so I'm not sure I even want to try one). If there was a way to use a DS controller too, that would absolutely ideal.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
^ Problem solved, thanks to a few very kind fellow Gaffers. Thank you again guys.

Apologies for the double post, but this time it's for something more related to the actual system.

Is there any simple solution to use a Dual Shock as a controller for the PSP itself?
I really want to try and see how my 2004 looks on the big screen, through the OSSC and the Sony component cable, and I'm planning to get an official cradle too, so I can leave it docked (the battery doesn't keep the charge anymore, and third party packs seem pretty pants, as far as I read, so I'm not sure I even want to try one). If there was a way to use a DS controller too, that would absolutely ideal.

This is only suported on the PSP Go :(

Galdelico

This is only suported on the PSP Go :(

Aw, that's a shame. U_U
I've seen - on YouTube - a few videos of people using a Dual Shock 3 controller (or a third party one, called Doso... No idea if it's any good), with their PSP 2004, but all of them have the console un-docked, since their setup needed the AC in to be free to use.
Guess I'll just get a new battery, then. Any suggestion for specific brands/models? I read horror stories about cheap Chinese battery packs - such as they can last 3 days, or even bulge and break the battery door itself - but I'm not sure I want to spend this kind of money for an original one.

PaulBizkit

Aw, that's a shame. U_U
I've seen - on YouTube - a few videos of people using a Dual Shock 3 controller (or a third party one, called Doso... No idea if it's any good), with their PSP 2004, but all of them have the console un-docked, since their setup needed the AC in to be free to use.
Guess I'll just get a new battery, then. Any suggestion for specific brands/models? I read horror stories about cheap Chinese battery packs - such as they can last 3 days, or even bulge and break the battery door itself - but I'm not sure I want to spend this kind of money for an original one.

Honestly, it's a lottery. As I said once or twice in this thread, I bought a chinese battery from a store here in Argentina and it works perfectly as if it was a sony original.
It doesn't even have a brand name.

I bought it because it was cheap and I could always go to the store and get a new one

Galdelico

You're right, I should just try and see by myself.
Point is, after a loooong search, I finally found a PSP 2004 in the conditions and of the color I wanted, so I feel a little wary of potentially ruining it with a crap battery.

Does it scratch your discs?

It doesn't appear to. I just checked the disc I was using when I heard those sounds, and it looks perfect.

Edit: Ugh. Not only am I getting those nasty disc reading sounds now, but I also keep getting a message asking me if I want to quit the game. I've gotten the latter occasionally before, but I didn't last night. Now I got both.

PaulBizkit

It doesn't appear to. I just checked the disc I was using when I heard those sounds, and it looks perfect.

Edit: Ugh. Not only am I getting those nasty disc reading sounds now, but I also keep getting a message asking me if I want to quit the game. I've gotten the latter occasionally before, but I didn't last night. Now I got both.

Ok, so it appears to be a sensor (of some sort) that is not working properly or is loose. That makes the PSP believe that the tray is open. I mean, if you're reading a game off the disc, and you open the tray, that message appears.

See if you can repair it. I did it with my old 2000 model and now it's as good as new.

I was reading old GAF PSP threads and lol'd @ this OP
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44398

NECROBUMP INCOMING !!!

PaulBizkit

/inb4 double post

Damn, I don't think I'll ever finish God Eater Burst. It's one of the few games where I enjoy grinding for materials.

I'm on chapter 5 and I have one sword of each element in rank 6. I didn't care about the story at first, but now, I really want to know what happens with the little girl

Ordered a Monster Hunter PSP 3000 almost 2 months ago and it finally arrived today.

It was cheap, like cheaper than I'd seen around but it was on Amazon with no photos. I took a gamble and went for it. I was prepared for it to be beat up and have to replace some parts even before it arrived, and then it came in a bubble mailer (!); the main thing I wanted was the nice shape to the back w/ both sides enlarged for the larger batter, the concave analog, and to finally have a PSP 3000, so I could replace some parts to get it where I want it.

But it's in nearly perfect shape, just a bit grimey in the analog nub and the circle button seems to be messed up; I think it needs a new membrane or an adjustment.

I'll need to do a ritualistic deep cleaning and figure out if I need to get that membrane but otherwise I'm very impressed.

The whole package just feels great! There's the PSP 3000 stuff, like the bigger buttons, the better d-pad with the concave cut out in the shell, the way nicer screen (even with the interlacing thing), but the MH Special Edition features push it over the top -- the analog just feels great, the matte soft-touch finish is cool, the extra grip, just great!

PaulBizkit

Ordered a Monster Hunter PSP 3000 almost 2 months ago and it finally arrived today.

It was cheap, like cheaper than I'd seen around but it was on Amazon with no photos. I took a gamble and went for it. I was prepared for it to be beat up and have to replace some parts even before it arrived, and then it came in a bubble mailer (!); the main thing I wanted was the nice shape to the back w/ both sides enlarged for the larger batter, the concave analog, and to finally have a PSP 3000, so I could replace some parts to get it where I want it.

But it's in nearly perfect shape, just a bit grimey in the analog nub and the circle button seems to be messed up; I think it needs a new membrane or an adjustment.

I'll need to do a ritualistic deep cleaning and figure out if I need to get that membrane but otherwise I'm very impressed.

The whole package just feels great! There's the PSP 3000 stuff, like the bigger buttons, the better d-pad with the concave cut out in the shell, the way nicer screen (even with the interlacing thing), but the MH Special Edition features push it over the top -- the analog just feels great, the matte soft-touch finish is cool, the extra grip, just great!

CONGRATULATIONS, DUDE

How's the battery life on your unit?

I don't really know yet, I haven't really done much with the system yet.

I took it apart to check the circle button and found that the membrane was torn only to tear it more to the point of being unusable. I ordered a new one but stuff from China can take a really long time to get here (like 2-3 months sometimes) due to increased customs scrutiny.

I might charge it just to find out.

PaulBizkit

I don't really know yet, I haven't really done much with the system yet.

I took it apart to check the circle button and found that the membrane was torn only to tear it more to the point of being unusable. I ordered a new one but stuff from China can take a really long time to get here (like 2-3 months sometimes) due to increased customs scrutiny.

I might charge it just to find out.

Damn, so you ordered the membrane, right? Does nobody sell it in your country?

Hahahaha this is great.

damn, that thread is going through its second necrobump.
As regards to movies on the PSP. The only one I have is Advent Children.

leroidys

Started playing through Last Ranker finally... seems cool but the battle system is very limited to start out. Hoping it continues to open up.

I am the proud owner of a black PSP Go but the screen has some scratches. Is it worth the time/effort to replace this screen? I see there are replacements on Amazon for a very low price.

I am the proud owner of a black PSP Go but the screen has some scratches. Is it worth the time/effort to replace this screen? I see there are replacements on Amazon for a very low price.

Yeah it would take about a half hour to replace if you've ever taken apart of portable before.

I thought I have posted about my results somewhere but I can't find it. The replacement screens are pretty much perfect. Taking the system apart is a bit annoying but not nearly as bad as taking apart a 3DS if you've ever done that.

I got my hands on a PSP Go running OFW 6.37. Having a difficult time parsing out the safest way to get on CFW 6.61. Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Top Bottom