• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assetto Corsa -- New racing sim from the developer of netKar Pro

mclaren777

Confirmed Cars:
• KTM X-Bow R
• Fiat 500 Abarth SS
• P4/5 Competizione
• Tatuus FA01 Formula 3
• Lotus Type 49
• Lotus Exos T125
• Lotus Exige S
• Lotus Evora S
• Lotus 2-Eleven
• 1 Series M Coupé
• E30 M3
• E92 M3
• Z4 GT3

Confirmed Tracks:
• Imola
• Magione
• Monza
• Mugello
• Nurburgring GP
• Vallelunga

Unconfirmed Tracks:
• Nurburgring VLN

id6q7C9ZyaZvm.jpg

Youtube -- Launch Trailer

Assetto Corsa is a new PC-based racing game for Windows, expected to be released in 2012. Assetto Corsa is being designed to provide a very realistic driving experience, with single player and multiplayer options, officially licensed cars and tracks developed using laser scan technology, and the highest level of accuracy possible in reproducing real world motor racing environments.

Also, Assetto Corsa will allow for considerable customisation and modification, in order to satisfy the expectations of professional simracers, gamers who prefer to approach the driving experience more progressively, and hobbyists who just like to collect lots of cars and tracks.

ivRuU8X2FUswr.jpg

Assetto Corsa takes advantage of the experience acquired by the Kunos Simulazioni team with the development of netKar PRO and Ferrari Virtual Academy, both titles being notable as two of the best in the genre for their advanced physics model and vehicle dynamics. Our R&D office, located just inside the international racing circuit of Vallelunga, allows the team to develop the game with the cooperation of real world racing drivers and racing teams.

The Assetto Corsa physics engine has been designed and coded from the ground up, using practical knowledge acquired from working closely with the elite of motorsport in order to engineer the best possible accuracy of physics and tactility of feeling. A physics engine like this begs to be used with officially licensed content: As such, Assetto Corsa will include renditions of international circuits, global car brands, racing prototypes, historic cars, single seaters and some of the most iconic cars ever built, providing a complete, and exciting,racing experience!

ineGW5HBrdDfY.jpg

Every day simracing enthusiasts write to us asking for us to add support for modding and customisation to our products. We recognize that in the simracing community there are a lot of talented people able to recreate cars and tracks with accuracy and passion, often to a better standard than commercial products. As such, we have decided to design Assetto Corsa as a modular simulation system that allows players to express themselves at their best by creating the mods they desire.

Therefore, within Assetto Corsa the interface, overlays and the core software are designed to be fully customizable allowing additional mods made by the simracing community to enhance the simulation, allowing it to thrive. Can't find your favourite car or track? With Assetto Corsa, you will be able to make it yourself! Also, Assetto Corsa will include several racing, practice, and competition options in order to satisfy any need for fun and entertainment.

i4gm31Yav7Tey.jpg

During the development of Assetto Corsa, we will be collecting videos, pictures and writing a development diary. Soon we will be sharing with the community "The Making of Assetto Corsa" development blog: From here you can follow us to discover how we develop Assetto Corsa, look inside our facilities, and behind the scenes at some of the most famous racing circuits and car brands. See for yourself the hard work and skill that goes into the production of a racing simulation.

ipEkUWdHJAkgo.jpg

Assetto Corsa is an independent project fully funded entirely by Kunos Simulazioni. Like you, we are driven by a passion for racing games and motorsport. We have re-invested our resources and funds in order to remain independent, since we believe this is the only way to produce a genuine simulation. Assetto Corsa will include official licensed contents (like car brands and race circuits) reproduced using laser scan technology. Official licensing and Laser scanning put a heavy demand on a small independent development team like Kunos Simulazioni in terms of the money required.

From December 1, 2011, all earnings from the sales of netkar PRO and our royalties from Ferrari Virtual Academy sales will be re-invested to acquire licenses for cars and tracks in addition to those that will be included in the version 1.0 release of Assetto Corsa.

We love our job and we aim to continue to do it for as long as possible. If you wish to continue to see projects like this: If you like a game, please buy an original copy. If you want to support this project, you can do so simply buying a copy of netKar PRO or Ferrari Virtual Academy. No investment needed, just fun.

Official Website

Blizzard

Banned
Those seat fabric textures in the last picture are pretty sweet.

*edit* Not to go too far off-topic, but with clean-looking engines like the one in CARS and the one in these screenshots, assuming they're not downsampled, I wish they could be used for other games. I would love even a small adventure/FPS game with this sort of engine. Of course there may be fundamental issues as to why this doesn't happen due to the engine internals, but who knows.

amar212

Yeah, but is really... frighteningly ugly :)

And WTF is going on with racing genre on PC? It is exploding without any fiseable reason. IRacing 2, rFactor 2, Simraceway, CARS, Autoclub Revolution, GTR3...

What are thy thinking? Who is funding that? Under what financial model? Madness.

mclaren777

I have no idea what's going on but I'm not going to complain. :)

My plan is to buy rFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa. The other games you mentioned don't really interest me.

saladine1

So, this game will feature more production cars than any other sim?

Hope the sounds are "next gen" as well..

rudii

I can't believe I waited so long to buy netkar pro. Such a great sim. This new offering can have all my time and money. It looks amazing. Hopefully there are more people playing online than in netkar pro. That was the only thing that disappointed me

mclaren777

First progress report...

First working day of 2012 and a very heavy schedule for the Kunos Simulazioni team.

Stefano has compiled a new version the deferred graphics engine, made some modifications on the physics engine and had a new idea on the sound engine particularly nice for all the modding guys out there.

Simone is working on the new deferred graphics engine, updating contents and generally making Marco constantly emitting "ohh" and "ahh" sounds while doing so.

Marco, on the other hand is trying to secure a very important and very secret licensing agreement... I could tell you more but then I'd have to kill you. Patience my friends, patience. While doing this, Marco is also organizing the team's work for the near future, which is extremely important for the project.

Aris is studying the physics modifications with a strangely satisfying smile fixed on his face, while at the same time trying to understand the new modular sound engine.

All of this on the first working day of 2012, without even counting the ongoing content creation. We've just started warming up!

deim0s

Yeah, but is really... frighteningly ugly :)

And WTF is going on with racing genre on PC? It is exploding without any fiseable reason. IRacing 2, rFactor 2, Simraceway, CARS, Autoclub Revolution, GTR3...

What are thy thinking? Who is funding that? Under what financial model? Madness.

No reason needed. The PC master race owned the genre right from the start.

mclaren777

"It's been a very busy but also very satisfactory week here at KUNOS Simulazioni HQ. Here are some new in game screenshots that we hope you will like. Next week we will give you more info about the track and car, as well as some extra screenshots."

Few Assetto Corsa screenshots were released...

zwtgbh1r6u4y.jpg

o0ngz1z8ues.jpg

t9qem29zubw.jpg

l0yod1r8u8a.jpg

k15tc1lfuzt.jpg

1nvlk10yuz9.jpg

mclaren777

• The Circuito di Magione is a 2.5km Italian racing track located in the Umbria region, and it has hosted both national and international races.

• With 165hp and an advanced suspension system, the Fiat 500 Abarth SS is a fine little toy for the track day enthusiast.

ibdriPg7tKSnkb.jpg

ibnU7geAu6UCOF.jpg

iHGQcVy0uOyj2.jpg

ibbIkREzhXz0IE.jpg

ibjjpBZGCkUBpL.jpg

This game, coming from Kunos Simulazioni is a must have. Their focus on more production cars makes me happy. Finally PC sim with great physics and production cars, and the game will be modable. This is a great step forward. When this game comes, I'll have to buy a new PC to play this game in max settings.

This thread is now subscribed :)

I want production cars, production cars and more production cars. Sick of driving race cars from series I couldn't care less about.

mclaren777

I want production cars, production cars and more production cars. Sick of driving race cars from series I couldn't care less about.

I'm the exact opposite. Racing sims have taught me that most production cars aren't very good at prolonged track duty so I gravitate towards small open-wheeled machines like Formula 3.

I'm the exact opposite. Racing sims have taught me that most production cars aren't very good at prolonged track duty so I gravitate towards small open-wheeled machines like Formula 3.

Yeah, but we have like tons of simulations with obscure and uninteresting racing cars on the PC, but if you want production cars, you'd have to play something like Need for Speed: Shift. That's not fair.

SmokyDave

Such a good time for the racing genre on PC at the moment. It's just joyful.

Agreed. I'd kill to import the GT5 car roster into a decent PC sim :(

The best selection of cars I've seen thus far were in the Historic Racing TC for rFactor 1. Maybe stretching the definition of 'production' though.

mclaren777

Interview with Marco Massarutto, co-founder and Production Manager at Kunos Simulazioni

Q: The force feedback in NetKar is already superb – will there be any noticeable difference or improvement to that in Assetto Corsa?
A: For sure, it isn't our intention to make one of our most appreciated features worse: it will be improved because the entire physics engine beneath it has improved, from tyre modeling to suspension geometry modeling. Our Force Feedback code has always been a very thin layer of translation between steering wheel column torques as calculated by the physics engine and the physical steering wheel in your hands. Nothing magic happens in there, it's all coming from the simulation itself.

Q: Has a release date been pinned down?
A: Not yet, I can only say that it isn't scheduled for the first half of 2012.

mclaren777

Following the announcement of the legendary circuits of Imola and Monza for Assetto Corsa, Kunos Simulazioni is pleased to announce that another important licensing agreement has been reached: Assetto Corsa welcomes one of the most iconic tracks in motorsport history: Silverstone Circuit.

As with the other circuits included in Assetto Corsa, Silverstone will be reproduced using Laserscan technology. This will reproduce each curb, each bump, and detail the real world circuit in as close a way as possible. This will give players a realistic feel to the circuit, and allow them to discover every inch of the facility in outstanding detail.

The development team is also pleased to announce that there will be an historic reproduction of the 1960's era version of the track included, allowing for wistful nostalgia of the original airfield circuit. This reproduction will be made in partnership with Silverstone and will be based on the original layout using detail gathered from hundreds of pictures and video collected from that amazing era.

iXuu2kQNvKnYt.jpg

amar212

This game is shaping to something really interesting.

Thomas from Fanatec went to Italy to test the CSW (it looks like a black-housing CSW with both beta-rims, touring and F1) at the Assetto Corsa HQ.

Here are some nice menus and preview of Valelunga.

6988247625_0acb2e3d0c_o.jpg

6988247603_b8bc2fae3e_o.jpg

mclaren777

Assetto Corsa will include the Tatuus FA01 Formula 3 car, which is awesome because F3 is my favorite category of open-wheeled cars in racing sims.

Following the tradition of Kunos Simulazioni relating to open-wheeled cars, the Tatuus FA01 has been reproduced in cooperation with Tatuus racing engineers and respecting the real technical specifications, in order to reproduce its dynamic behaviour with as much accuracy as possible. The simulation is tested and used by CSAI (the Italian Motorsport Federation) for their training sessions at Vallelunga racing track, where the Kunos development team can access data, videos and direct feedback from the real drivers.
This allows the development team to refine dynamic modelling of this single seater, with a constant, close relationship between software developers, vehicle manufacturers and race instructors from the Federal Racing School, in order to guarantee maximum fidelity from simulator to the real world counterpart.

PDF about the real car

iboH34nlWQdCil.jpg

mclaren777

Kunos Simulazioni is very proud to announce a new car for Assetto Corsa: the Lotus Type 49.

Kunos Simulazioni development team said:
We consider it a privilege and a challenge to reproduce one of history's most iconic cars. With its shape and livery, the Lotus Type 49 is the ultimate representation of a classic age in Formula One racing, just before aerodynamics came to the fore and sponsorship changed the sport forever. We wish to thank Clive Chapman and everyone at Classic Team Lotus for the opportunity and support they are giving us.

iME6CqChDEynQ.jpg

Some recent preview shots from Monza...

iNlT2f8zrEBrE.jpg

Also, would you like to test one of these?

Link

fanatec2.gif

TJP

I think Thomas and whoever from the AC team is speaking the truth about any sim that has hundreds of cars.

Great footage as usual!

Top Bottom