• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: AMD DirectX 11 Card Performances, Prices Revealed, Surprisingly Affordable

baultista

Banned
UT66 said:
yes, and DirectX 10.1 changed the landscape of the pc gaming industry forever.
DX10 was a transitional version of DirectX.

Haven't you ever wondered why it wasn't released on a non-Vista OS? They significantly redesigned how DX and the WDDM (Windows Display Driver Model) operate.

A major blocking point has been the "failure" of Windows Vista. IF Windows 7 can dethrone Windows XP, you'll start to see a lot more games opting to use a DX11 codepath.

DX10 did not give game developers a lot of features that they could look at and say "yes, I will drop legacy support in favour of this". For that reason, you see games being designed for SM2.0 and DX9, with a DX10 codepath only being added in for extra bells and whistles.

Chris_C

Still running on my 8800GT. I might be looking to upgrade in Jan/Feb of next year, so these prices make me happy. Interested to see what Nvidia's got up it's sleeve though, any idea when we'll be hearing/seeing anything about its next card?

EDIT: I just hope my card holds out till Feb, I have to manually start the fan every time I boot up!

lord pie

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned,

But there is a distinction here. This card will support shader model 5.0, which is introduced with DirectX 11, however dx11 is backwards compatible with DX10 hardware*. (DX10 hardware uses shader model 4).

The big thing is DX11 brings compute shaders to the table. They are similar to pixel shaders, however instead of dealing with textures and drawing to a render target (eg the screen), you are dealing with reading/writing more general memory buffers. Compute Shader 4.0 will work on DX10 generation hardware, but it's quite limited in comparison to 5.0.

Just like DX10, the new features don't make any significant new effects possible, they just make them much more efficient (and therefore, far more likely to be implemented).
A simple effect like a box blur is *way* faster with compute shaders.

The other change, is that D3D11 has deep support for CPU multithreading optimization. No matter what, you still need the CPU to tell the graphics card what to draw (this is done through what is known as a command buffer) - D3D11 allows these to be built on different threads before being combined and sent to the video card, it also allows resources to be loaded on multiple threads a lot more efficiently.

------

I personally think it's getting to the stage where most PC developers will move to DX11. It makes more sense than DX10 as there are more significant benefits and with Win7 about to come out. Supporting XP users or old cards really won't be cost effective. In a year or so I'd expect the majority of PC games will be DX10/11.

* I'm not sure if it's 100% of DX10 hardware, certainly the vast majority...

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
irfan said:
Excuse me? If you've been following rumors, Cypress has been a radical change, much like R600 was to R520 (architecture wise not performance :lol wise).

Both AMD & Nvidia will have new architectures, for DirectX11. According to CJ, who is the the best source for these infos, Nvidia will not have anything DirectX11 this year *sob* *sob* and all they will do is rebrand current DX10.1 parts as G300 series :lol Nvidia's upto its old tactics again. Then there is a rumor that Nvidia will be doing a MEGA paper launch to spoil AMD's hard launch, so what ever rocks your boat.

Also this wasnt posted so:

HD5870 (Cypress XT): ~P15xxx / P17xxx
HD5850 (Cypress Pro): ~P1?xxx
Juniper XT ~P95xx
Redwood ~P46xx

So that would mean 5870 would give close to GTX295 performance for $300 bucks. Not bad.
Well... then this upgrade isn't for me. I already have a GTX295 OC'd. I am hoping Nvidia's GTX380 is more powerful than ATI's 5870 so that I can SLI them and call it for another year. I would go with ATI CrossFire, but I have used it three times. 2900, 3870, and 4870, and each time I have got burned by those couple games were Nvidia excells in dual GPU performance due to their stupid moneyhats. I LOVE ATI, but I am tired of screwing myself. I went Nvidia a while ago, and I have not looked back. As I said before, I will wait for benches once Nvidia launches. If the performance is similar, I will go with ATI because honestly, I just feel more comfortable with them.

godhandiscen said:
Well... then this upgrade isn't for me. I already have a GTX295 OC'd. I am hoping Nvidia's GTX380 is more powerful than ATI's 5870 so that I can SLI them and call it for another year. I would go with ATI CrossFire, but I have used it three times. 2900, 3870, and 4870, and each time I have got burned by those couple games were Nvidia excells in dual GPU performance due to their stupid moneyhats. I LOVE ATI, but I am tired of screwing myself. I went Nvidia a while ago, and I have not looked back. As I said before, I will wait for benches once Nvidia launches. If the performance is similar, I will go with ATI because honestly, I just feel more comfortable with them.

i have come to realize that there is a price premium on nvidia cards due to there money hats, and driver support (the way it's meant to be played). So it's a toss up with less performance per dollar but with good software support or good performance per dollar with absolute shit software support. Ati need to start a beta driver program, and add more worthless features like nvidia.

godhandiscen

Technosteve said:
i have come to realize that there is a price premium on nvidia cards due to there money hats, and driver support (the way it's meant to be played). So it's a toss up with less performance per dollar but with good software support or good performance per dollar with absolute shit software support. Ati need to start a beta driver program, and add more worthless features like nvidia.
Yeah, at thiis point in my life. I am just willing to pay that "premium" due to the fact that messing with settings to run that one level at 60fps is not something I want to keep doing after I come half drunk from a club and I just want to play a game quick before I pass out. That was cool when I was a teenager or even during college because it represented a challenge, but I am getting old now and I don't want to thinker with these things anymore.

careful

godhandiscen said:
Yeah, at thiis point in my life. I am just willing to pay that "premium" due to the fact that messing with settings to run that one level at 60fps is not something I want to keep doing after I come half drunk from a club and I just want to play a game quick before I pass out. That was cool when I was a teenager or even during college because it represented a challenge, but I am getting old now and I don't want to thinker with these things anymore.
At the rate you're going, you'll be a full time console guy in a few more years. ;)

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Why all the bitching? The entry point for PC gaming has never been lower. Plus, the new hardware pushes the prices down on the older (but still kickass) stuff. I can game at 1080p on an AGP card. The hw is so overkill that it's getting ridiculous. I'm dropping $100 video cards into shit pcs and turning them into gaming rigs.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
baultista said:
A major blocking point has been the "failure" of Windows Vista. IF Windows 7 can dethrone Windows XP, you'll start to see a lot more games opting to use a DX11 codepath.
Technically we only need Windows 7 to dethrone the people left on Windows XP, since DirectX 11 actually works on Vista as well.

Once around 75% of the market is on Vista or Windows 7 we'll probably see a lot more games cater to DirectX 11 directly.

SapientWolf said:
Why all the bitching? The entry point for PC gaming has never been lower. Plus, the new hardware pushes the prices down on the older (but still kickass) stuff. I can game at 1080p on an AGP card. The hw is so overkill that it's getting ridiculous. I'm dropping $100 video cards into shit pcs and turning them into gaming rigs.

Unless your Nvidia who replace the old cards with "new" cards that are the same, and keep prices high :(.

bee

i wish ati would stop making shit drivers and constant hotfixes, i want to be able to choose my graphics cards from more than just one supplier

So, me being totally out of the loop in the graphic cards business the past few years, what is the absolute best beast of graphics cards that are available today, are coming in the next few months and what is the specs of those cards?

Can I SLI just about any card, specifically the cards I'm asking for above?

I'm looking to buy a new rig and I want to get the best bastard money can buy! :)

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
UT66 said:

While I don't really agree with how you worded your post, I actually agree with the content (except Crysis is a fantastic game).

Barely any games come out that truly take advantage of these cards. All you get is higher frame rate, better anti-aliasing, and higher resolution. They don't even make higher resolution textures for the PC (since so many cards have 1gb now) like they should.

BloodySinner said:
As everyone else stated, UT66 is right. There really is no point in investing on super expensive cards when there is barely any software that supports them. Anyhow, I'll just hang on tight to my 9800GT and see what the future holds.

People will spend money on whatever the hell they like. Until there's a card that can run every game on the market at a perfect 120fps (for 60fps 3D gaming) without a single drop at 2560x1600 with 4x4 supersampling and 16xaf there is room for better hardware. Some people don't have shitty standards, its fine if you do.

Why the hell is the release of cards offering a doubling in performance for $300 soemthing to cry foul about? The higher end the hardware is, the better targetted it will be, if you want sit in the stone ages, that's fine, but just accept that some of us would rather hardware and the industry to progress.

FoxHimself said:
So, me being totally out of the loop in the graphic cards business the past few years, what is the absolute best beast of graphics cards that are available today, are coming in the next few months and what is the specs of those cards?

Can I SLI just about any card, specifically the cards I'm asking for above?

I'm looking to buy a new rig and I want to get the best bastard money can buy! :)

Be aware that AFR based rendering methods (i.e. SLI and Crossfire) are very close to being fundamentally broken as far as I and a lot of other techies are concerned. There's no reason multi GPU setups can't work but the current implementation is pretty damn terrible.

Having said that, its best to focus on single cards and for that the 2GB version of the 5870 is what you're after, should retail for around $350 in about a months time.

You're getting a 10x upgrade in raw compute over consoles, and all of that raw compute power is much more flexible and useful than the very limited SM3.0 level hardware of something like RSX. It'll be in a total different category to current consoles, the sort of leap one would hope for from a new console. You're getting 2012 console performance 3 years earlier, basically.

careful

brain_stew said:
You're getting 2012 console performance 3 years earlier, basically.
He'll be getting 2012 console performance for 2009 console requirements, so he should adjust his expectations accordingly. UT66 is right in the sense that most games won't be pushing the bleeding edge tech envelope, but I disagree with him about the value of extra resolution, better framerate, and nicer image quality. Those things do matter to me and I believe they are worth upgrading for. Even with the highest end card on the market right now, you will not be able to play every game at a butter smooth 60fps @ 1080p with full AA & AF.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
careful said:
He'll be getting 2012 console performance for 2009 console requirements, so he should adjust his expectations accordingly. UT66 is right in the sense that most games won't be pushing the bleeding edge tech envelope, but I disagree with him about the value of extra resolution, better framerate, and nicer image quality. Those things do matter to me and I believe they are worth upgrading for. Even with the highest end card on the market right now, you will not be able to play every game at a butter smooth 60fps @ 1080p with full AA & AF.
Indeed, and I think UT66 doesn't quite get why many PC gamers choose the platform for their gaming experience.

I have played quite a few Console/PC crossovers and frankly, even the worst console/PC ports (EA Sports titles aside here) are still much better on PC.

To UT66, if you think 720p @ 30FPS is enough, go play some multi-plat racing games, like PURE, Race Driver: GRID, Colin McRae: DiRT, and Burnout Paradise (60fps on consoles, but shh!) on 360/PS3 then play them with the settings cranked up at 1920 x 1080 @ 60fps.

Anyway, as for the 5870, I have the luxry of being able to wait a bit as my GTX275 hasn't been troubled by my gaming collection just yet (Crysis at very high aside, and even that manages more than 30 FPS and looks...godly) so I can wait to see if Nvidia can spark a performance/price war later in the year.

Minsc

Gold Member
careful said:

This is something wrong about the fact that no single card can run STALKER Clear Sky over 25fps @1080p, so I say bring on faster cards.

Edit:

Stop It said:
Anyway, as for the 5870, I have the luxry of being able to wait a bit as my GTX275 hasn't been troubled by my gaming collection just yet (Crysis at very high aside, and even that manages more than 30 FPS and looks...godly) so I can wait to see if Nvidia can spark a performance/price war later in the year.

Guess you don't have Clear Sky, looks like you can't keep 30fps in that one either without dropping settings on a 275 or 4890.

Stop It

Minsc said:
Guess you don't have Clear Sky, looks like you can't keep 30fps in that one either without dropping settings on a 275 or 4890.
I do have Clear Sky (The yummy Steelbook SE version at that), but my backlog is...epic, that said, STALKER still likes to rape my PC on a regular basis, so yes, that would be a game to upgrade for...

...if I got round to playing it!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Stop It said:
Indeed, and I think UT66 doesn't quite get why many PC gamers choose the platform for their gaming experience.

I have played quite a few Console/PC crossovers and frankly, even the worst console/PC ports (EA Sports titles aside here) are still much better on PC.

To UT66, if you think 720p @ 30FPS is enough, go play some multi-plat racing games, like PURE, Race Driver: GRID, Colin McRae: DiRT, and Burnout Paradise (60fps on consoles, but shh!) on 360/PS3 then play them with the settings cranked up at 1920 x 1080 @ 60fps.

It's funny because for console games I just have like no standards whatsoever. Don't even notice all the tearing and sub 30 or 25 fps dips. But on PC I'm like "OH NO YOU DIDN'T JUST DIP TO 40 CRYSIS" and I have to figure out some way to remedy that.

Stop It

AstroLad said:
It's funny because for console games I just have like no standards whatsoever. Don't even notice all the tearing and sub 30 or 25 fps dips. But on PC I'm like "OH NO YOU DIDN'T JUST DIP TO 40 CRYSIS" and I have to figure out some way to remedy that.
As long as there isn't a PC alternative, I'm the same, I sort of just turn of my graphics whore mode but if there is a PC edition I just have to go for that, as I would be constantly comparing them in my head and the results annoy me too much.

Anyway, I wonder what Nvidia are thinking of this launch, last I checked they were at least 3 months from their DX11 chips being released and it would signal the first time since the launch of the Radeon 9800 that they would be 2nd to launch a new generation (The non event of DX10.1 aside) product.

artist

Banned
Technosteve said:
Not sure whats all this driver support talk. IMO ATI's driver team has come a long way and actually surpassed Nvidia during Vista's launch. Sure there are hotfixes here and there but then Nvidia does it too and as often as ATI.

Also there are quite a few TWIMTBP games that run faster on ATI cards. :lol I'll probably bite on one of these Cypress boards given the performance/price is right, my 8800GT is aging quite a bit.

irfan said:
Not sure whats all this driver support talk. IMO ATI's driver team has come a long way and actually surpassed Nvidia during Vista's launch. Sure there are hotfixes here and there but then Nvidia does it too and as often as ATI.

Also there are quite a few TWIMTBP games that run faster on ATI cards. :lol I'll probably bite on one of these Cypress boards given the performance/price is right, my 8800GT is aging quite a bit.

I've got to be honest, some of Nvidia's recent driver releases have been real shitty.

Still, the fact that profile management on the ATI side is still utter shit is a real biggy for me, if someone could just come up with an ATI version of nHancer, my biggest pet peeve would be gone. Plus, the more consistant performance of the GTX series was really nice, it gets great performance in every game, sure the 4870 will beat a GTX 260 here and there, but there's not a single game that I play that has real shitty performance as sometimes still happens with ATI hardware.

PhysX and 3D Vision are nice bonuses, not deal breakers sure, but value adding features none the less. I hope that ATI comes up with their own 3D solution soon as I want to jump on that bandwagon before long.

Mind, triple monitor support accross the high end range is very nice indeed. I'm already running two monitors, so there's every chance that feature could get some use from me in the future, hopefully Nvidia follow suit.

UT66

Banned
brain_stew said:
People will spend money on whatever the hell they like. Until there's a card that can run every game on the market at a perfect 120fps (for 60fps 3D gaming) without a single drop at 2560x1600 with 4x4 supersampling and 16xaf there is room for better hardware. Some people don't have shitty standards, its fine if you do.

Those fancy numbers mean shit. At the end of the day you are still playing a console game at higher resolution. Yes it runs, and looks better, but who gives a shit.

Its like reading the same book with a larger and sharper font . Basically, It is the same content. That "monster" pc of yours is capable of so much more than that.

Basically you have low standards. You are happy playing this game on your pc at 2560x1600 with 4x4 supersampling and 16xaf, and all that techno bullshit that means nothing.

And i want to play this game at 720P and 30FPS on my pc -
cinepics02.jpg

UT66 said:
Those fancy numbers mean shit. At the end of the day you are still playing a console game at higher resolution. Yes it runs, and looks better, but who gives a shit.

Its like reading the same book with a larger and sharper font . Basically, It is the same content. That "monster" pc of yours is capable of so much more than that.

Basically you have low standards. You are happy playing this game on your pc at 2560x1600 with 4x4 supersampling and 16xaf, and all that techno bullshit that means nothing.
Well, have fun wishing. You can either accept that that isn't practical at all, or you keep being frustrated about it.

UT66

Banned
isn't practical at all? I don´t think so.

"The amount of people that own the top of the line equipment are few and far between. "

bs. look at this.

311n95s.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
UT66 said:

I think you just need a parrot, or weasel. Or maybe a little song bird. Something to fill that void.

Just remember to treat it nicely, and you'll open your eyes to a new world!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
UT66 said:

So what is your suggestion to solve this so-called "problem"? Should game makers choose a target video card and spend 2 - 5 years developing a game specifically for it? It just isn't practical at all. In the time it takes to actually make a game there will have been massive improvements in technology.

UT66

Banned
Zefah said:
So what is your suggestion to solve this so-called "problem"? Should game makers choose a target video card and spend 2 - 5 years developing a game specifically for it? It just isn't practical at all. In the time it takes to actually make a game there will have been massive improvements in technology.

Fucking yes? The "massive improvements in tech line" is just bullshit! If you are really serious about pushing the hardware, trust me, it is going to show. If the game really shines on a g80, then is not going to suddenly look like shit 2 years later because there is new videocard! look at crysis, hell look at KZ2. uff Fuck, this, typing this shit in English is very tiring. Adeus.

edit "I think you just need a parrot, or weasel. Or maybe a little song bird. Something to fill that void."

Minsc00.gif

that mini hamster dsnt seem to work :lol

UT66 said:
isn't practical at all? I don´t think so.

"The amount of people that own the top of the line equipment are few and far between. "

bs. look at this.

311n95s.jpg
How many people is that, and how many of them are going to be interested in your hypothetical game? How much would this game cost to make, and how much would it need to sell to recoup that?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Chris Remo said:
How many people is that, and how many of them are going to be interested in your hypothetical game? How much would this game cost to make, and how much would it need to sell to recoup that?

i'm not sure, but futuremark are making a play on them with shattered horizon. i think there's certainly something to be said for being the current technical marvel pc side. you can guarantee that almost everyone who's picked up a dx10 card in the last two years has acquired a copy of crysis to go with it.

UT66

Banned
Chris Remo said:

1) enough
2) enough
3) the same
4) enough

ghst said:
i'm not sure, but futuremark are making a play on them with shattered horizon. i think there's certainly something to be said for being the current technical marvel pc side. you can guarantee that almost everyone who's picked up a dx10 card in the last two years has acquired a copy of crysis to go with it.

well i had to show off my puter with something.

tokkun

I think it will be interesting to see how this new generation of GPUs performs when compared to the last-gen midrange cards in SLI/Crossfire. There are a lot of people out there who own a single 4870 or GTX260. Dropping in a 2nd card will cost about $120, provided you have a compatible board/PSU, and I think it will be really tough for the new cards to compete on a price/performance ratio with that upgrade. The whole 2-card thing was great for manufacturers when it could convince people to spend twice as much money, but I think it's poised to backfire on them.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Still rocking my faithful 4850. I'll probably won't get anything new this gen. Maybe when the 6xxx cards come. Even then I will strongly consider Nvidia unless ATI steps their fucking game up on the software side.

If a developer wants to focus on a single type of video card and processor to maximize optimization they have a platform, they're called "consoles'. There is a reason no PC developer in the history of pc gaming has done this.

Firestorm said:
I wish PC games' "Optimize" options actually worked. If I can turn everything up to the fullest and run at 120fps and your options are all on mid, that isn't "optimized"! Should be a way to just run something to have it figure it out the best settings on your platform for a consistent 60 or 30 fps at your chosen resolution.

This has been my concern when it comes to pc gaming. Scalability in pc graphics terms doesn't work like the word actually means.

If a pc dev could make a game that is truely scalable they could make a mass market game. But on top of that they need a very slick way of cutting down on piracy like consoles sort of do so they are guarantied sales instead of being threatened with a financial flop that is played a lot by people with ripped copies.

I find this ATI card very attractive. I'm scrounging up money together so I can play either the fan CrysisMod Mechwarrior Living Legends or the official new Mechwarrior when either release and I'll be looking forward to reviews on this and Nvidia's offerings.

UT66

Banned
SuperEnemyCrab said:
If a developer wants to focus on a single type of video card and processor to maximize optimization they have a platform, they're called "consoles'. There is a reason no PC developer in the history of pc gaming has done this.

Nonsense. Ask Carmack. DOOM3 was a GeForce 6800 / 6600 game.

Minsc

Gold Member
UT66 said:
that mini hamster dsnt seem to work :lol

eyeball_mountain.jpg

Boo works better than you know!

He's very friendly and affectionate most of the time though, but don't be fooled by his gentle looks.

It will be good for PC gaming if all pc developers can agree for one common minimum system requirement. Define RAM, CPU, and GPU specs. Name it like, let's say, PGS (PC Gaming Specification) 1.0 and so on for future versions. Update it every 3-4 yrs. Develop some branding logo and put it on hardware packaging that complies standard to help decide consumers what to buy to play all games which will run 99% same on all PCs. Add in software protocol specs for all kind of online gaming features. Basically do something like USB, HDMI and lots of other standard specs.

Couple of good things about it is 1) It will easily scale up if you have more beefy hardware, 2) 100% backward compatibility (not considering OS changes here), 3) this specs will always be superior to console, 4) cheaper gaming platform, cheaper games

Since all developers will be targeting one common minimum system specs like consoles, result will be much much better.

godhandiscen

hmm... UT66 has a point. Long time ago, there was a vast difference between console games and PC games. Ten years ago, PC games used to be adventures that went beyond the realms of what was possible in a console, with gameplay that just could not be emulated. Now, 80% of PC games are based around console specs, and the few ones that are not, Tropico, Spore, Football Manager, etc do not really benefit a lot from powerful hardware.

Firestorm

MirageDwarf said:
It will be good for PC gaming if all pc developers can agree for one common minimum system requirement. Define RAM, CPU, and GPU specs. Name it like, let's say, PGS (PC Gaming Specification) 1.0 and so on for future versions. Update it every 3-4 yrs. Develop some branding logo and put it on hardware packaging that complies standard to help decide consumers what to buy to play all games which will run 99% same on all PCs. Add in software protocol specs for all kind of online gaming features. Basically do something like USB, HDMI and lots of other standard specs.

Couple of good things about it is 1) It will easily scale up if you have more beefy hardware, 2) 100% backward compatibility (not considering OS changes here), 3) this specs will always be superior to console, 4) cheaper gaming platform, cheaper games

Since all developers will be targeting one common minimum system specs like consoles, result will be much much better.
And sell nothing? Why would they make The Sims or WoW run on nothing by 8800s? On the same level, why bother aiming Fallout 3 at Intel GMA950 users?

godhandiscen

eggandI said:
Freeze yourself for 20 years. Maybe 25.

No.
2vru7g5.jpg

This demo is running in real time on a 4870x2. It is amazing what can be achieved when developers actually optimize for a single architecture.

A lot of us here don;t want to open our eyes and realize that the hardware on our machines could do much more. However, from a business point of view it doesn't make sense for developers to optimize for a specific videocard, therefore we get games that only achieve 70% or less of the theoretical performance.

Top Bottom