• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Wildlands |OT| Squad Goals

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Just started playing this today. Playing on extreme since people recommended that's the way to go. Anything else anyone recommends to do to make it more realistic or better?

So far I'm enjoying the game besides not being able to control my squad mates very well. Firing when I'm trying to be a sneaky fuck, walking right into the middle of a camp, etc.

The key thing to remember when controlling your squad is that by default or if you give them the regroup order, they are totally invisible to non-alerted enemies and won't fire. Even if they are standing right next to an enemy they won't be spotted.

All other commands make them visible.

arimanius

The key thing to remember when controlling your squad is that by default or if you give them the regroup order, they are totally invisible to non-alerted enemies and won't fire. Even if they are standing right next to an enemy they won't be spotted.

All other commands make them visible.

Ok that's great to know. I've been freaking out every time one takes a stroll.

I really enjoyed it and that was me playing solo.

I spent all the points and supplies upgrading sync shot and drone signal and battery.

I then realised that once a character is marked you can sync them without even having visuals any more. So I tag the ten enemies in a place. Mark three people. Sync shot them all dead and repeat. Easy!

Erban1

I've usually seen reinforcements spawn in along the road, so I always try to attack from angles where the road isn't to my back if spotted. This works most of the time.

And... most of the time I have no problems evading alerted enemies and reinforcements because I always relocate in stealth whenever I know the enemy has been alerted.

Now, sometimes I relocate and the enemy has no idea. Sometimes I relocate and the enemy rushes my last position.

Even when I mess up and reinforcements are called in they're usually spawned in at the wrong spot (I hear an AI teammate calling them stupid for searching the wrong area. ), or again, they rush my last position.

But sometimes, just sometimes, and several times lately in Caimanes for some reason, alerted guards immediately call in reinforcements - even when I haven't been spotted - and those reinforcements rush the last position and then slowly form a line directly to my new position, and when they do this my attempts to relocate in stealth don't work - they can see me as soon as they have any form of line of sight, darkness and foliage and prone be damned.

I don't get it.

Its weakening my resolve to play without markers in dense environments, because I don't want to be the only one with a disadvantage in those situations, and it feels like that's the case. I end up going against psychic aimbots with thermals.

Strange...i'm going to jump in today and see if i can replicate this, sounds just as annoying as the issue where a truck full of Santa Blanca guys would spawn behind you as soon as you respawn.

Bollocks

man, going for the platinum is really tedious, collecting all that stuff. I don't even try to stealth anymore, I just go in hot.

zedge

Playing on PS4 pro. Does anyone else experience any graphical glitches, primarily the blocky white circle on the ground after you call for rebel diversion or backup?

Belker

We found out that vehicle drops aren't just tied to your location but your *altitude*.

I called in a helicopter for Dervius. He was on the ground and I was parachuting 1.5km above him. I heard the 'whoosh' sound of a vehicle being delivered and then I saw it falling through the sky below me.

When it 'landed' it took damage, but he could still fly it.

Hmm. I wonder if you could drop vehicles as weapons?

How do you even basejump? I've never seen a prompt or anything, can you only do it at specific spots?

We actually did that jump from a chopper.

I play without prompts, so my base jump method is as follows: go to cliff edge, hammer A/X as approach and go ovet edge, then hit A/X once in skydive pose.

Obviously best done with a big drop.

How do you even basejump? I've never seen a prompt or anything, can you only do it at specific spots?

I think you can from any/most sheer edges, there is no prompt, but you have to hold the climb/vault button or you just fall off with no option to pull a chute.

Took a weekend off.. itching to get back into the Wildlands!

Finished the weekly challenge before the break though, so looking forward to what they change it to on Wednesday. We got the Task Force one too (nice!).

As for alerted enemies.. I've seemed to notice their behavior (and reinforcement behavior) is directly tied to their status.

"suspicious", "hunted", and "engaged". When "engaged" they all know where you are 100% of the time (from what I could tell). When "hunted" they're got to your last known spot and then fan out, it seems like they typically fan out towards me, but I've seen them go the wrong way a few times as well. When suspicious, they just usually go to investigate things, but walk slowly.

I don't know the time needed to change states, but if you disengage and stay out of sight for "X" amount of minutes, their alert level lowers.

I play with the map off though, so I never see the state they're in, which is kind of annoying. There are sound clues as well, so once you play enough you can pick up on the sound clues to let you know you're spotted.. or when you've cleared a base.

As for environmental stuff.. foliage and darkness don't seem to do a damn, which sucks, but it is what it is. No-HUD mode is definitely putting yourself at a steep disadvantage, almost unfairly so, which is why I run minimal HUD, so it doesn't get just frustrating.

Maybe No-HUD and a lower difficulty would be better? Curious what it'd be like on Arcade mode or whatever. The game is beautiful without the stinky HUD cluttering things up. Not being able to see your equipment is a pain though if you keep that off as well.

edit: awww the thread got moved to community lol

As for environmental stuff.. foliage and darkness don't seem to do a damn, which sucks, but it is what it is. No-HUD mode is definitely putting yourself at a steep disadvantage, almost unfairly so, which is why I run minimal HUD, so it doesn't get just frustrating.

Maybe No-HUD and a lower difficulty would be better? Curious what it'd be like on Arcade mode or whatever. The game is beautiful without the stinky HUD cluttering things up. Not being able to see your equipment is a pain though if you keep that off as well.

edit: awww the thread got moved to community lol
Yeah, I've come to the conclusion that once the enemy is looking for you, anything short of being out of their detection range or having something that absolutely breaks line of sight is useless. They can see behind their heads, several stories directly above them, in full darkness and foliage etc.

So I did take that exact advice and shift down to 'advanced' difficulty over the weekend and it really does seem to be the sweet spot. It doesn't change the cheapness of their detection capabilities but it does give you a little more time to react.

Yeah I've run on Advanced for most of my play throughs.

In co-op, Extreme can work since you can do more as a team than the AI bots.

But for getting through the single player, Extreme was taking way too long for an already long game.

Hope they add in sliders for the options so you can tweak things more.

_RT_

I need some help to get the "finished the job" trophy.
Would actually give me the Plat (first one ever).
I guess i really enjoyed this game and hats off to the team that developed it.

Seriously.... First one. Lol

More excellent co op sessions recently. The mix of seriousness and silliness is still super fun.

And, I know I have mentioned this before a lot, but I LOVE the gameworld. Vast, varied, often utterly beautiful. The focus on ambient lighting and sounds, weather, draw distance and contextual music creates a superlative experience, be it the shimmering salt flats, a foggy swamp, a white-glare mountainside, or a rain-drenched, storm-lashed city. I frequently just sit and 'feel' the atmosphere. Each area feels unique and loved and not incongruous alongside its fellows.

A sequel that nails the 'human' side of this aatmosphere (i.e. AI interaction) would be utterly consuming.

Then the rebels turn up in a barrel rolling jeep and everything explodes in a sea of stupidity. Love that side too!

Yeah, I think this is a really good foundation for a sequel.. assuming they don't toss it all out and start again.

Putting in some more tactical stuff, camo that works, better AI, more varied routes/etc.. and I think you could have something really special. As it is, the game world is very well done, I just feel there could be 'more'.

I personally would have liked it if the DLC added more to the base map/world instead of doing their own sub-games, but I imagine that could have caused all kinds of issues with co-op when some people have the DLC but others don't. Also.. since they let you replay missions over and over it would be weird to have the world "change" with the DLC installed.

That being said.. such a fun game, definitely got my moneys worth. Need to finish Narco Road though.

zorbsie

Had a blast playing a bit with the gang last night. The card rules we were using was very cool. Made the game closer to Rainbow Six. Every player had a specific role. We got pretty good at dodging missiles by the end. :)

Itbu7pm.gif

Belker

Had a blast playing a bit with the gang last night. The card rules we were using was very cool. Made the game closer to Rainbow Six. Every player had a specific role. We got pretty good at dodging missiles by the end. :)

Itbu7pm.gif

Oh, I'd forgotten about that. It looks like that helicopter rocked backwards juuuust slowly enough to avoid blowing up. Also makes me realise how little splash damage there was.

I invited you earlier on this evening to play, but didn't hear back from you.

zorbsie

Oh, I'd forgotten about that. It looks like that helicopter rocked backwards juuuust slowly enough to avoid blowing up. Also makes me realise how little splash damage there was.

I invited you earlier on this evening to play, but didn't hear back from you.

Missed the invite. :( Was probably AKF, or I would have a least sent a message your way.

Dervius

Got back into this recently with some excellent coop sessions.

One of my favourite aspects of this game is the sheer amount of options it gives you, not just in approach, but in how to tailor the game to your tastes.

When playing with new people "how do you play" is not an uncommon question. Personally I seem to have fallen into the minimal HUD, extreme difficulty group, but even then you can implement your own rules.

• Never respawn, you have to be revived by a team mate
  • Only change weapons at weapon crates
  • Never fast travel
  • Use appearance options appropriate to your location.
Playing with a like-minded set of people and moulding a collective play-style can be immensely rewarding.

One feature I would really like to see would be MGSV's Subsistence style missions where you start without any gear, and can only use what you find.

It can totally change your approach, you may target a sniper or a heavy specifically to get their gear, and most weapons will be unsuppressed making melee a much more valuable tool and stealth more difficult. Currently there doesn't seem to be a way to unequip weapons.

Belker

of people and moulding a collective play-style can be immensely rewarding.

One feature I would really like to see would be MGSV's Subsistence style missions where you start without any gear, and can only use what you find.

It can totally change your approach, you may target a sniper or a heavy specifically to get their gear, and most weapons will be unsuppressed making melee a much more valuable tool and stealth more difficult. Currently there doesn't seem to be a way to unequip weapons.

I've never played Subsistence, but this is why my card system did. It was possible to get a draw where you didn't have any starting weapons. To get one, you had to kill an enemy yourself.

So much of the game depends on who you're playing with.. since if everyone agrees (and amicably), you can tailor it to your own designs and ambitions.

I wish they let you FORCE the settings a little more, for the weak willed of us.. but it'll do for now.

Speaking of.. wife & kid are leaving for 6 days! RECON TIME!!! I should be on a lot over the weekend, at times conducive to everyone else (stupid Pacific time zone).

Hey everyone.

If you get the purple unidad thing at the top right of the screen (1-4 levels of it) is the only way to get rid by hiding? You can't kill them all? They're a bit like police in gta?

Starting to run out of steam with this game.

I like how open ended so many of the game's encounters are, but that just makes the story missions that force Ubisoft-isms stand out that much more, and feel even worse.

I've got two story missions I'm on right now, in two different provinces. In the first province we're tasked with locating and interrogating a boss's assistant so we can get a location for the big bad. Well, we found our first target, interrogated him, and failed moments later with "too far from target" messages that made absolutely zero sense. We tried again and made sure to keep our VIP close but failed again with the same nonsensical message.

Turned out there was an arbitrary timer to reach a second destination to grab our actual VIP (or take him out? Not sure). We weren't aware of the timer because we were playing lo-HUD and there was no context provided for a ticking time bomb scenario.

Sure enough though, we ran our opp again, and headed immediately for the second objective. As I waited for my friend to catch up I set up over the target and did some recon, and there was our VIP, getting tortured in a warehouse below. And as I watched him get punched and listened to his interrogators give their speeches, up popped the message "Too far away" followed by "Mission failed". I couldn't see a single reason for the mission to fail - they didn't kill the target - they were still talking to him as the mission fail message popped up.

That's exactly the worst part of the Ubisoft formula, and we jumped into this game hoping that this game wouldn't be saddled with that crap.

Anyway, we said fuck it, decided to ditch that mission and work on another province instead. This took us to Caimanes.

We ran several missions until we got the final one unlocked. Here we have to locate the boss's henchman, and follow him to the boss. OK. I was running this solo, so first I get into the woods overlooking the town where the henchman is supposed to be and start doing some recon with the drone. Turns out that spotting the target with the drone "activates" the henchman, who immediately gets into a truck and speeds off down the road. Not being in a vehicle myself the mission failed a few seconds later because he was too far away.

So I figure I'll try again but with a helicopter, but it turns out that unlike every other encounter I've played in the game, enemies in the village are able to spot my helicopter even at great height. Mission failed, several times over.

So I grab a civilian truck and creep into the village, but I can't drone to see where enemies are because I don't want to prematurely activate the henchman making his run, and I miss some patrolling enemies that spot me in the vehicle. Mission failed.

I take a different path through the village this time, now that I know which road the henchman takes (I shouldn't need to know this), and I'm able to maintain my creep until the target takes off in his jeep. I follow closely behind but have to ramp up the speed as I took a side street and have to catch up with him - I get within maybe 100 yards of the target before I recognize his vehicle and get a message that I was too close. Instant mission fail.

I do the same steps again but I hold back a bit along the road and keep speed to a minimum. But then a Unidad truck passes in the opposite direction - not wanting to speed up and get a mission fail I maintained my speed and hoped for the best, got spotted by Unidad and of course, mission failed.

At this point I am now utterly out of fucks to give, and don't look at all forward to running any story missions in the other provinces.

Its like Ubisoft has a quota for bad mission design that they're required to force into all of their games. I just don't have the patience for it this time around.

I got lucky with the Caimanes one.. I had a helo and just tailed him that way. No one spotted me, I was playing solo and parked off the road. We tried it in co-op and failed it a number of times, with some of the same reasons you noted. Not sure why that one seemed more touchy than others with the same victory/fail rules.

There is definitely glitches. Some seemingly introduces with subsequent patches, but it's kind of par for the course these days, especially with open worlds.

Rolling with the good and bad is part of the charm for me. A lot of it has to do with who I'm playing with.. with the right crew just taking out an outpost can be fun.

Worked through another province in Narco Road last night, it's so different. Not good, not bad, just different. Way more "go loud".

Racing around is kind of fun though.

Been watching a few videos from someone called splicer. He has a video about getting the AK47. Is this worth my while? I love the look of the G36C in real life so always use it in games that have it but if AK is significantly better then I might as well.

Been watching a few videos from someone called splicer. He has a video about getting the AK47. Is this worth my while? I love the look of the G36C in real life so always use it in games that have it but if AK is significantly better then I might as well.

Use whatever you want. The stat-bars in the weapon selection screen are inaccurate in many cases or at least misleading, but the guns are balanced between damage and ROF.

I use the Mk17 pretty exclusively just because I like how it feels..but its fun to use something else for a little while when you're not used to it.

They all seem pretty equally leathal

NewDust

Is there a GAF taskforce? Not looking for online play, but churning out those weekly taskforce missions by yourself is a drag.

Belker

Did you know that helicopter exhausts allow you to see through water? It also happened on a different water source, with a different (light) helicopter and even when I shut down the game and came back to it.

Yze7Dwr.gif

Is there a GAF taskforce? Not looking for online play, but churning out those weekly taskforce missions by yourself is a drag.

What system are you playing on (Xbox, PC, PS4)?

I think we have one set up for each.

Did you know that helicopter exhausts allow you to see through water? It also happened on a different water source, with a different (light) helicopter and even when I shut down the game and came back to it.

Yes! I noticed that a few weeks ago.. very strange consequence of exhaust.. too bad there isn't much interesting down there :(

Also.. there was a PC update today, not much changed..

BUT!

They made it so you can call for help when you're down in-game, so that could be useful, and they fixed the bug where you couldn't unlock the awards if you bought a weapons pack, hopefully these come to console before too long. It was update 3.5 on PC.

SJRB

Gold Member
I hate timed missions.

Especially because I play with most of the hud off there's zero indication that I'm doing a timed mission. Just now I did one where I had to steal a truck and switch it around for another one. So after carefully taking out all enemies in the camp I drove the truck to the rendes-vouz location and got a MISSION FAILED prompt because apparantly I wasn't fast enough.

Now I have to restart the entire mission. Which isn't a HUGE deal, but it sucks nontheless. Missions with specific fail states like those just don't belong in a game like this.

Missions with specific fail states like those just don't belong in a game like this.
Couldn't agree more. And made worse in that they're arbitrary so there's no in-game context for them. Without a big ole splashbox with a timer on it there's no way to know that something needs to be done in X amount of time.

I swear there's some person at Ubisoft who exists solely to sprinkle a bunch of these arbitrary instafail objectives into each of their games.

I could work around most of the AI and HUD issues, but the story mission twists were the straw that broke the camel's back for me. I'll still boot it up from time to time to tackle some open world bases or the like, but I've got zero interest in actually completing the story missions and clearing provinces now.

Specific mission requirements work fine most of the time - away from roads anyway... the issue with the timer is a lack of granularity in the HUD.

If you have 'mission info' on, you'll see a timer. Turn it off and that crucial info goes, which is a bit silly.

SJRB

Gold Member
I wish we had an option to find locations of SAM-sites by interrogating people or finding intel.

SAM sites are a huge pain in the ass and the only way to root them out is to just fly around and randomly note where they are. And holy shit there are so many in some provinces.

I wish we had an option to find locations of SAM-sites by interrogating people or finding intel.

SAM sites are a huge pain in the ass and the only way to root them out is to just fly around and randomly note where they are. And holy shit there are so many in some provinces.
As well as the ability to permanently destroy them, or at least keep them out of commission for a period of in-game days (or for the duration of the session).

When I was doing recon in all of the provinces - mostly to gather enough intel to highlight weapons and weapon parts locations - the most gameplay worthwhile part of that whole endeavor was probably finding out the SAM locations for each area.

Of course I tended to "find" them the hard way ;p

SJRB

Gold Member
As well as the ability to permanently destroy them, or at least keep them out of commission for a period of in-game days (or for the duration of the session).

When I was doing recon in all of the provinces - mostly to gather enough intel to highlight weapons and weapon parts locations - the most gameplay worthwhile part of that whole endeavor was probably finding out the SAM locations for each area.

Of course I tended to "find" them the hard way ;p

..wait, destroyed SAM sites respawn?

No fucking way.

WHY

SJRB

Gold Member
I can't believe how much random banter and chitchat there is between the ghosts. I've been playing for dozens of hours and still keep running into fresh conversations.

I feel they did a really great job of having these four gritty spec-ops professionals not showing too much personality, but not too little either. During missions and mission talk they're all business, but the ambient stuff actually tells a lot about all of them. It's a super fine balance.

If any it really sells the idea that they're a unit and they've been working together for a really long time.

I can't believe how much random banter and chitchat there is between the ghosts. I've been playing for dozens of hours and still keep running into fresh conversations.

I feel they did a really great job of having these four gritty spec-ops professionals not showing too much personality, but not too little either. During missions and mission talk they're all business, but the ambient stuff actually tells a lot about all of them. It's a super fine balance.

If any it really sells the idea that they're a unit and they've been working together for a really long time.

Yeah, I like it. I feel like it's been toned down a little with patches since launch, so you don't hear the same thing as often, which is nice.

I can't believe some of the changes since launch.. you barely hear the radio anymore.. anyone remember how that used to be all you could hear? Haha.

Hopefully they fix the party issue with Xbox Alpha preview today so I can play again.

Belker

I've been trying to update the WildlandsGAF club, to put in the name of the admin. It won't let me, despite trying on multiple devices.

If anyone wants to get in, I'm an admin (and so is Zyrain). You can PM here with your XBL name.

Top Bottom