• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Official Headphone Thread 2.5: We're Making WAVs and Catching FLAC

HiResDes

Ge2knVC.png

THINGS TO KNOW

Understanding Impedance - Of course what I'm about say doesn't apply to every pair of headphones or earphones, but here it goes: One important thing to note when picking a set of cans or IEMs is whether they are high impedance or low impedance. Low impedance head-gear usually requires little to no amplification in order to reach it's full potential, while high impedance head gear requires more amplification or voltage in order to sound how it should. Low impedance head-gear usually ranges from about 10 - 80OHM; High Impedance head gear 250 - 600OHM. High impedance head-gear usually suffers from less sound distortion and static noise.

What's a DAC - A Digital to Audio Converter converts a digital bitstream to an analog signal. Can be a separate "box" that connects between a CD Transport or CD Player and a pre-amplifier. Damping (Damping factor, etc.): Refers to the ability of an audio component to "stop" after the signal ends. For example, if a drum is struck with a mallet, the sound will reach a peak level and then decay in a certain amount of time to no sound. An audio component that allows the decay to drag on too long has poor damping, and less definition than it should. An audio component that is overdamped does not allow the initial energy to reach the full peak and cuts the decay short. "Boomy" or "muddy" sound is often the result of underdamped systems. "Dry" or "lifeless" sound may be the result of an overdamped system. If you have a poor sound-card and need a DAC or a better one you will probably experience a bit of distortion, which may be audible even without anything playing.

What's an Amp - A device which increases signal level. Many types of amplifiers are used in audio systems. Amplifiers typically increase voltage, current or both.

Description of Soundstage - A listening term that refers to the placement of a stereo image in a fashion that replicates the original performance. A realistic soundstage has proportional width, depth and height.

gWWYO.jpg
FwZdp.jpg

Closed Vs. Open Headphones - Usually this refers to headphones exclusively. Closed headphones leak sound less and generally provide better isolation from external noises. Open headphones may go loud enough to cover up external noises but generally leak sound to anyone present in the room and generally do a poor job with sound isolation. Open headphones are generally lighter and are more "lively" sounding with better soundstage. Closed headphones usually sport a greater bass impact, but obviously these generalities about sound vary greatly.

02Mp0.jpg
2en3A.jpg

Portability - Usually this is a discussion involving headphones. Portable headphones are generally lighter, have lower impedance, and some of them fold up. Generally all IEMs (earphones) are portable given their small size, although some may benefit from amplification.

hPkUY2R.png
7hMc4IP.jpg

Supra-Aural (On-Ear Headphones) Vs. Circumaural (Over-Ear Headphones) - Circumaural headphones have ear pads that fit all the over the ear rather than resting on the ear. The results generally lead to added comfort and isolation, though there are some notable exceptions, and lately on-ear headphones have made large strides in both departments. Circumaural headphones also tend to sport wider soundstages and increased bass impact. Supra-Aural headphones are generally lighter, foldable, easier to drive, and thus more portable.

i3Gmp.jpg
s8nbo.jpg

Earbuds Vs. IEMs - Earbuds sit very shallow in the ear (these are what come with iPods) whereas IEMs actually are meant to be inserted all the way into the ear. IEMs provide better isolation, generally better sound, and generally better comfort as well. They are mostly what are going to be recommended, although the Yuin PK3s are a notable exception.

[Glossary of Audio Terminology]

Headphone Storage Accesories

When Asking For Recommendations -keep in mind what has been presented in this section. Be specific, the more specific you are the better your recommendation will be...

Basic Recommendations:

*******ALL PRICES ARE BOUND TO FLUCTUATE WITH DEMAND*******

Lower Mid-Tier Earphones $200 and Under

MEElectronics Pinnacle P1

Ortofon E-Q5

Dunu DN-1000

Bowers & Wilkins C5

Final Audio Heaven IV

Audio Technica ATH-IM02

Audio-Technica ATH-CK9

Dunu Titan 5

Dunu Titan 3

Vsonic GR07

Dunu Titan 1

Sony XBA-40

GR07 Classic

Yamaha EPH-100SL

Alpha & Delta AD01

Final Audio Design Heaven II

Fischer Audio Tandem

JVC HA-FXT90

Audio Technica ATH-IM50

Final Audio Heaven Adagio III

Vsonic VSD5

Hifiman RE 400

Astrotec AX-35

Second Tier Headphones Under $250

Ah9a6.png
Blue Lola

nUEhA.jpg
Fidelio X1

nUEhA.jpg
Beyerdynamic DT880

Ah9a6.png
Beyerdynamic DT-250

Ah9a6.png
ADL H118

Ah9a6.png
Yamaha MT220

Ah9a6.png
AKG K545

nUEhA.jpg
AKG Q701

Ah9a6.png
V-Moda XS

nUEhA.jpg
Sennheiser HD 598

Ah9a6.png
Audio-Technica ATH-WS99

Ah9a6.png
Audio-Technica ATH-ESW9

Ah9a6.png
M-Audio HDH50

Ah9a6.png
AKG K553

Ah9a6.png
Sennheiser HD 25

Ah9a6.png
Beyerdynamic DT-1350

nUEhA.jpg
Sony MDR-MA900

Ah9a6.png
Audio Technica ATH-900x

nUEhA.jpg
Audio Technica ATH-AD900x

nUEhA.jpg
Soundmagic HP200

Ah9a6.png
Soundmagic HP150

nUEhA.jpg
Grado SR225e

nUEhA.jpg
Beyerdynamic DT990's Pro

Ah9a6.png
Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro (80 OHM)

nUEhA.jpg
AKG K612 Pro

Ah9a6.png
Audio Technica M50x

nUEhA.jpg
HiFiMan HE-300

AoDNC.jpg
Fostex T50RP-MK3

Ah9a6.png
Beats Solo 2

Ah9a6.png
Brainwavz HM5

Ah9a6.png
SRH-840

Budget Earphones Under $60 - From Most Expensive To Least

Ostry KC06a

Soundmagic E80

T-Peos D300

Creative Aurvana Live 3

Fischer Audio Consonance

Fidue A65

Zero Audio Carbo Basso

Zero Audio Tenore

Vsonic GR06

Hisoundaudio PAA-1 (Earbuds)

Hifiman RE-300H

Bette 1+1

Vsonic VSD3S

Apple Earpods (Earbuds)

NarMoo S1

Xaomi Piston 3

Brainwavz Delta

Entry Audiophile Headphones Under $100 -From Most Expensive To Least

nUEhA.jpg
Alessandro MS1

nUEhA.jpg
Audio Technica ATH-AD700

Ah9a6.png
Creative Aurvana Live

nUEhA.jpg
AUDIO-TECHNICA ATH-TAD500

nUEhA.jpg
Grado SR80e

Ah9a6.png
M-Audio Q40

Ah9a6.png
KRK KNS8400

Ah9a6.png
Noontec Zoro II HD

Ah9a6.png
Koss ProDJ200

Ah9a6.png
NVX XPT100

nUEhA.jpg
Philips SHP9500

Ah9a6.png
JVC HA-S680

AoDNC.jpg
Takstar HI 2050

AoDNC.jpg
Samson SR850

nUEhA.jpg
Sennheiser PX100

Ah9a6.png
CAD MH310

Ah9a6.png
JVC HA-S500

Ah9a6.png
JVC HA-S400

Ah9a6.png
Beyerdynamic DT 235

Ah9a6.png
Superlux HD681 EVO

Ah9a6.png
JVC HARX700

nUEhA.jpg
Koss PortaPro

Ah9a6.png
Panasonic RP HTF600

nUEhA.jpg
Koss KSC75

Starter Combos (Amps+DACs) - From Most Expensive To Least

OPPO HA 2

Leckerton UHA-6S MKII

02+ODAC

Geek Out 1000

JDS Labs C5D

Arcam rPac

NFB 12.1

Sparrow

Hifiman EF2A

Aune T1

Sunrise Ray DA-P1

FiiO E17http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070UFMOW/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Topping TP30

FiiO E10K

Fiio E07K

Schiit Fulla

Starter Amps - From Most Expensive To Least

Darkvoice 336

Travagan's Red

Qinpu A3

Schiit Asgard

Little Dot MKII

JDS LABS 02

Cayin C5

FiiO E9K

Bravo Audio Ocean

Superlux HA3D

EHP-O2 (Amp)

Linearossa W1

JDS LABS CmoyBB V 2.03

FiiO E11

Bravo Audio V2

FiiO E6

Starter DACs - From Most Expensive To Least

Audioengine D1

HRT Music Streamer II

E-DAC 24 Miniature USB

JDS ODAC

Schiit Loki

Centrance DACport Slim

NuForce Icon uDAC-3

UD110

DAC DESTROYER

HiFiMeDIY Sabre

Behringer UCA222

****NEWBIES STOP HERE FIRST****

andylsun

zG3319nl.jpg

yMr8W4rl.jpg

B8eWylzl.jpg

Arrived today. I had already modified a 12V regulated AC adaptor so that it was centre pin negative (most are centre pin positive). It's up and running and sounds incredible. Just only listed to a few tracks so far and it's going to take much more listening to really give good impressions.

Comfort is pretty good so far, and looking forward to many long hours listening.

My SR-5's will now live at work, and these will be my home pair.

Edit: the fountain soundtrack - goodness me. I will have to try other audio devices. I have a feeling my CD player may be a limiting factor here.

Courage

Nice OP and title.

Been using my Schiit Vali + Modi stack for about two weeks now and I love it. Listening to music has been a completely different experience with good headphones and supplying power to drive them to their full potential.

HiResDes

Gonna update the OP a little when I get home, possibly adding a DAP and wireless section while trimming down the other selections more.
Also have you guys been reading about the Mr. Speakers Ether, which is garnering favoring comparisons to the LCD3.

Didn't Phat Michael claim that the EL-8 sounds ridiculously similar to the LCD-3? That's like... half the price of the Ether. According to Currawong, it's also allegedly neutral, detailed and stat-like. That's doesn't sound much like the LCD-3 lol. I feel like the Ether might have more in common with the HE560 if that's the case

Tommy DJ

Didn't Phat Michael claim that the EL-8 sounds ridiculously similar to the LCD-3? That's like... half the price of the Ether. According to Currawong, it's also allegedly neutral, detailed and stat-like. That's doesn't sound much like the LCD-3 lol. I feel like the Ether might have more in common with the HE560 if that's the case

Depends which EL-8 you're talking about I guess...but even then neither comparison sounds right to me. I haven't heard anyone claim that the open backed EL-8 sounds remotely close the the LCD3. I don't think we really need to talk about the closed backed version since most people who go to trade shows and are willing to trash products they think are bad haven't said many good things about it.

I think its probably neither and just Audeze's hype machine going into overdrive. Whenever I hear "XXX is a bargain, sounds really, really close to XXX headphone costing much more", I do get a little cynical because that's how every consumer audio product is described these days. And we know those claims are often not true. Literally the only time I've heard a product that actually fits that description within the last 5 years is the JBL LSR305 powered monitor.

I think I'm going to get a pair of Sony MDR-7506 and a Bravo Audio V2, finally go balls deep on my audio. Currently using plain audio jack with HD 280 Pros

The MDR-V6 or 7506 are best suited for studio use as the headphone equivalent of a grotbox I guess. For home audio usage, they are very bad. 99% sure the headphone design is intentional but the design is for a completely different market that doesn't need a high fidelity product.

Jzero

Arrived today. I had already modified a 12V regulated AC adaptor so that it was centre pin negative (most are centre pin positive). It's up and running and sounds incredible. Just only listed to a few tracks so far and it's going to take much more listening to really give good impressions.

Comfort is pretty good so far, and looking forward to many long hours listening.

My SR-5's will now live at work, and these will be my home pair.

Edit: the fountain soundtrack - goodness me. I will have to try other audio devices. I have a feeling my CD player may be a limiting factor here.
God damn, those are not easy on the eyes.

traveler

Not Wario
Repost from the last post of the old thread:

Referred here by the new PC thread. What would be the best gaming headset <$300 these days? The Sennheiser 363Ds referenced in the OP of the PC thread? The Philips Fidelio X1? (or the more recently released X2)

Is there a big enough difference in sound quality between a headset for the money vs headphones that I should go for headphones and just find a workaround/deal with worse audio when chatting while playing? (I wouldn't really mind as the quality headphones are more of a draw for solo stuff)

Was thinking of picking up the Xonar DGX sound card alongside it. If quality surround is the priority, will that and a pair work fine or should I get an amp instead/get an amp and the card? Sorry for the flood of questions; kind of new to this space.

andylsun

God damn, those are not easy on the eyes.

You are right. My wife said they are the ugliest pair of headphones she's ever seen. I tried to defend them by saying that wasn't the point, but it didn't go well. Then I told her how much they cost...

HiResDes

Repost from the last post of the old thread:
Get the X1 or X2 then slap on a V-Moda Boompro and you have an amazing sounding headphone and a mic that competes well against most of the ones that come stock on headsets. You could even save money by going with the open Philips and slap on an Anti Lion and have a better headset than those marketed as such for around a hundred bucks total.

Unrelated, the Ether does look a lot like the HE-6, I just want a pair so I can rap "That Ether the shit that makes your soul burn slow" while wearing them.

traveler

Not Wario
Get the X1 or X2 then slap on a V-Moda Boompro and you have an amazing sounding headphone and a mic that competes well against most of the ones that come stock on headsets. You could even save money by going with the open Philips and slap on an Anti Lion and have a better headset than those marketed as such for around a hundred bucks total.

Unrelated, the Ether does look a lot like the HE-6, I just want a pair so I can rap "That Ether the shit that makes your soul burn slow" while wearing them.

Thanks!

Is the sound card going to be fine if my primary use for these is solely with a PC or should I look into getting an amp as well?

Perfect thread at a perfect time. Hello headphone GAF. I'm in the market for wireless headphones. I was going to go with beat studios so my budget is $400-$500. I'm looking for over the ear, Bluetooth, and doesn't make me look like I should be directing planes on a runway. Please assist. Thank u.

LQX

"Upgraded" from a Sennheiser HD598 to HD650. Not noticing a major difference so far and I would be lying if I said I did not of prefer the soundstage of the HD598. It just sounds like nothing is getting past me with the HD598.

And I have to say I'm disappointed with the build quality of HD650. For headphones that have retail value of $500 they feel flimsy and look somewhat cheap with that glossy marble look. And they are stiff and hard to adjust. Seems like that will snap in half if you handle them too rough.

Also got a FiiO E9 amp to drive the HD650. This is my first true amp of sorts. And I guess it is doing it's job. With it I actually can appreciate the value of the HD650 though so far I prefer the sound of the HD598. I can pretty much turn the volume up to damn near 100% on the E9 and the HD650 do not distort in anyway where as the HD598 cant go past about 12 o' clock on the dial without it turning into $2 tinny headphones you have to listen to at a lower volume so it does not distort.

Also got a V-MODA Crossfade M-80 for when I'm working out. The build quality is insane and puts any other headphone (including the ones mentioned above) I have ever owned to shame plus they come with a case. Bass kicks you in the gut and they are great for games. I like them a lot.

Also bought a Sennheiser HD518 last month as they were on sale and I wanted to test the quality. These are great headphones. They are super comfortable and somewhat comparable to the sound quality of the HD598. These are great headphones for those on a lower budget, not missing much if you cant afford or do not want to buy a HD598 for $100 more.

HiResDes

1. I highly doubt you're getting the most out of your 650 with the E9.
2. If you only care about soundstage you could have saved your money and got some AD700
3. What's with the unabashed Sennheiser brand loyalty, they're not the end all be all to good headphones...
4. The headband on the 598 is a real weak point and will crack on you at any moment despite the 650 feeling weaker. They both kinda have weak headbands though.

Angie just came in a few moments ago. Was underwhelmed out of the box by some muddiness, but then I checked the manual and the bass pots came set to maximum lol. I think I have bass set at maybe 3-4 dB above neutral now. Muuuuuch better. Not sure whether I'll keep it, but I was curious as to how they'd stack up to the rest of my stuff what with all the Freqphase, Waveguide bullshit inside

LQX

1. I highly doubt you're getting the most out of your 650 with the E9.

In which areas you think the E9 might be lacking? Anything you can recommend under $200? I was thinking of getting a Magni 2 to gauge the quality.

3. What's with the unabashed Sennheiser brand loyalty, they're not the end all be all to good headphones...

Their high-end models tend to go on sale more than others.

HiResDes

In which areas you think the E9 might be lacking? Anything you can recommend under $200? I was thinking of getting a Magni 2 to gauge the quality.

Their high-end models tend to go on sale more than others.
I just prefer how they sound out of tube for sure. They'll never be as exciting up top to some people as the 598, but the mids and bass definitely are more full to my ears. Coming from the 598 they'll sound more laid back, and the lack of forward treble may translate to less detail to some ears, but I think they actually are fairly detailed it's just that the details are kind of smoothed over by the liquid mids and bass.

I'd recommend something like the Little Dot MKII, but then you'd still need to look into DACs as the E9 is just an amp and doesn't have a built in DAC...Actually if you were to get an E7 and pair it with the E9 you might be able to save money and still beef up the sound more. I'm assuming you don't already have a DAC or an upgraded soundcard?

... Okay so I've been fiddling with these things for a bit and there's a pretty clear channel imbalance issue going on at the moment :l Way to go JH QC. Way. To. Go. These'll have to go back :l From what I can tell though, they sound quite excellent.

HiResDes

... Okay so I've been fiddling with these things for a bit and there's a pretty clear channel imbalance issue going on at the moment :l Way to go JH QC. Way. To. Go. These'll have to go back :l From what I can tell though, they sound quite excellent.
Man what's in the water with high quality stuff coming in messed up later.

harSon

Banned
Just dropping in to say that I both love and hate the person who posted that Amazon Lightning deal for the Philips Fidelio X1

LQX

I just prefer how they sound out of tube for sure. They'll never be as exciting up top to some people as the 598, but the mids and bass definitely are more full to my ears. Coming from the 598 they'll sound more laid back, and the lack of forward treble may translate to less detail to some ears, but I think they actually are fairly detailed it's just that the details are kind of smoothed over by the liquid mids and bass.

I'd recommend something like the Little Dot MKII, but then you'd still need to look into DACs as the E9 is just an amp and doesn't have a built in DAC...Actually if you were to get an E7 and pair it with the E9 you might be able to save money and still beef up the sound more. I'm assuming you don't already have a DAC or an upgraded soundcard?

Yeah I was reading you get the best out of the HD650 with tube amp. And I'm going to look hard at those Little Dots as my intentions was was to get a Bottlehead Crack amp but it was out or my price range. Was hoping to get one cheap on Ebay but you don't see them pop-up often so a Little Dot might be a great alternative.

Nope, no DAC(that's another on the to buy list) yet though I use a DSS2 as a DAC in passive mode with the E9 for my XB1 and TV listening. Running the E9 off my ASUS Xonar.

Thanks for the advice.

Man what's in the water with high quality stuff coming in messed up later.

Like I mentioned earlier, concerning JH Audio, this isn't without precedent:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/626954/the...le-girl-in-her-30s-part-2/21315#post_10403159

I mean, I get that phase aligning a gazillion drivers is pretty tough, I'll give you that, but forgetting to put the phones in the case? LOL

I've also heard horror stories in regard to finish issues with the Roxanne series of phones, especially the Carbon Fibre ones. And... lookin at my own Angie, finish leaves a bit to be desired. It has a rough, sort of DIY feel to it, not unlike the works of Tralucent Audio, and there's some amateur hour stuff like glue residue where the sound sound tube meets the housing. The aluminum bezels also look like there's some chipping at the edge, straight out of the box, (not unlike what happened with some of the chamfered edges on the black anodized iPhone 5s). The fit is also pretty bad for my ears due to how large the shells are. I'm not sure that this design can be miniaturized due to the use of sound guiding stainless steel tubes either :l

I've had a friend document my experiences over at changstar. Don't really feel like posting about it at HF.

It's a shame too, cause when I have the bass pots aligned at anywhere from 0 to +4 dB, it sounds fuckin great. It's resolving without your requisite brightness, and easy on the ears, without feeling dull and rolled off. The soundstage also feels like it's huge, but I'm hesitant to make any sort of conclusive statements when the whole package is gimped. The hilarious thing is that they've got EVEN MORE SIREN MODELS COMING. It's like fuck Jerry, fix your shit before you roll out more stuff man.

StillEdge

The thread title is fucking perfect.

I need a recommendation and I don't know if this thread only deals with those big headphones. I don't really care about sound quality but I need Bluetooth earbuds. Over the ear or in the ear whatever would be most comfortable to wear for 6+ hours and can fit in my pocket basically. I probably would never put them there but that's the size I'm looking for. But that also adds another challenge to this I work in a warehouse that just legalized smart watches and phones aren't allowed on the floor or I would just use the basic iPhone earbuds. I work 10 hours so I would love a battery life of 10 hours but a minimum of 6 hours. Price max is 150 I can go over depends on how much over I might be willing to go less hours for price and what not. Thank you for the help if you decide to take this challenge.

Tonza

I've been testing the Sony MDR-1A and NWZ-A15 I got on the cheap and overall I like both. Compared to the V-Moda M80 that I've had as my portable set before, the MDR-1A is much more comfortable being over the ear. The sound is quite similar to my ears in that the bass is elevated. However, I think that the M80's have tighter and better controlled bass. The MDR-1A seems a bit lazier. Don't know if it will change after burn-in. The mids and highs are good on both. (though not as good as my Philips X1's) I think I will keep the MDR-1A for the comfort. (I tend to use the phones at work which makes the M80 slightly unfomfortable for the ears)

The NWZ-A15 is my first stand alone player in years and overall I think it sounds better than the audio out of my iPhone 6+. (and it supports FLAC) But as I don't have experience in other lossless players, I can't compare.

For the price I got these (100euros), these were a steal.

HiResDes

I've been testing the Sony MDR-1A and NWZ-A15 I got on the cheap and overall I like both. Compared to the V-Moda M80 that I've had as my portable set before, the MDR-1A is much more comfortable being over the ear. The sound is quite similar to my ears in that the bass is elevated. However, I think that the M80's have tighter and better controlled bass. The MDR-1A seems a bit lazier. Don't know if it will change after burn-in. The mids and highs are good on both. (though not as good as my Philips X1's) I think I will keep the MDR-1A for the comfort. (I tend to use the phones at work which makes the M80 slightly unfomfortable for the ears)

The NWZ-A15 is my first stand alone player in years and overall I think it sounds better than the audio out of my iPhone 6+. (and it supports FLAC) But as I don't have experience in other lossless players, I can't compare.

For the price I got these (100euros), these were a steal.
I like the highs better than the X1 for sure, female vocals definitely are amazing on the Sony's in my estimation.

Tonza

I like the highs better than the X1 for sure, female vocals definitely are amazing on the Sony's in my estimation.

I'll have to test more vocal focused tracks. Part of me liking the X1's more is the open sound you get from open cans. Closed are the way to go for portable though. (porta pros were not good in noisy environments) I should try really good IEM's some time though. I have been a bit soured on them with poor fitting ones.

andylsun

A few more thoughts on the STAX SRS-2170 system.

Pairs very well with the audioquest dragonfly. Not treble forward or harsh at all. The same track sounds better from the dragonfly than from my Technics CD player (MASH DAC).

These headphones are super detailed and revealing (as really is expected). I was picking up sounds and instruments I've never heard before. Placement of instruments is amazing, it's easy to focus on a single instrument wherever it is in the mix regardless of what else is going on.

Was listening to Nude - Radiohead, and noticed a ground hum in the far left channel when one particular guitar was playing - wasn't there any other time when other guitar tracks were active.

I've done a bit of mixing of music down from 16 track to 2, and these headphones seem to break apart the stereo mix into it's components. I'm not explaining it very well, but that's how it feels. Easy to isolate the elements in a studio recording.

They could be called a little bass shy. James Blake No Limit to your Love has this monster amount of sub-bass that on something like my Sennheisers makes the headphones shake and my head vibrate. On the STAX the bass is there, but it's heard rather than felt. That can make these headphones feel less fun and engaging. The bass is there, but it's controlled, not muted. Even with the bass going strong I could focus on the hi-hats and other percussion without loosing focus.

I was worried this may make old vinyl recordings sound really limited, but a 60's pressing of Dave Brubeck Time Out sounded glorious. The closest I've ever felt to being in a studio. The detail and resolution didn't detract from the feel of the recording, and I didn't feel that it was making any flaws stand out.

Other tracks I tried were Tori Amos (Not the red baron) which has lots of very quiet texture and voices - the clearest I've ever heard that track. Suede (by the sea) had some tape hiss that I've never noticed before. Interstellar soundtrack organs were amazing.

Going to try some mono beatles and classical (vinyl and CD), and a bit of Aphex Twin later this weekend.

I'll say these aren't for everyone, but for detail, resolution and neutral uncoloured sound, they are staggering. The separation of instruments can distract from the mix at first - there's so much new stuff in each recording it's going to take a while to get used to. Will be interesting to switch back to dynamic headphones after a few months and see how they compare.

terrible

Banned
"Upgraded" from a Sennheiser HD598 to HD650. Not noticing a major difference so far and I would be lying if I said I did not of prefer the soundstage of the HD598. It just sounds like nothing is getting past me with the HD598.

And I have to say I'm disappointed with the build quality of HD650. For headphones that have retail value of $500 they feel flimsy and look somewhat cheap with that glossy marble look. And they are stiff and hard to adjust. Seems like that will snap in half if you handle them too rough.

Also got a FiiO E9 amp to drive the HD650. This is my first true amp of sorts. And I guess it is doing it's job. With it I actually can appreciate the value of the HD650 though so far I prefer the sound of the HD598. I can pretty much turn the volume up to damn near 100% on the E9 and the HD650 do not distort in anyway where as the HD598 cant go past about 12 o' clock on the dial without it turning into $2 tinny headphones you have to listen to at a lower volume so it does not distort.

I'm the opposite. I find the HD598 to be too bass light and unrefined compared to the HD650. When I swap between the two during a song there's a noticeable loss of detail when going to the HD598. I'd actually go as far as to say I prefer my HD558 with the tape mod more than my HD598. The soundstage is definitely bigger on the HD598 but it doesn't matter to me. The HD650 are a lot more natural sounding imo. They're a clear tier above.

This is with a Darkvoice 336SE and Aune T1.

harSon

Banned
These Philips Fidelio X1 headphones sound pretty fucking nice. The only thing is the fact that they clamp a little to tight on my head for my liking :(

harSon

Banned
I've got a big head bruh

Edit: It'll probably be fine once I get a haircut. My hair is unusually long at the moment, so we'll see tomorrow.

Jzero

These Philips Fidelio X1 headphones sound pretty fucking nice. The only thing is the fact that they clamp a little to tight on my head for my liking :(

You must have a big ass head. That's why the made the X2 bigger.

Edit: I guessed right :D

MRSA

Banned
Got the Xiaomi Piston 3 in today, not sure how I feel about them. I kinda prefer the Brainwavz Delta over these, I guess I'll have to try them out a little longer.

What's the best program to rip my cds in lossless format? (Either PCM WAV or FLAC)

I'm not sure whether anything else has popped up since, but back in the day, I'd use EAC.

Andy: great impressions! I always find the "these probably aren't gonna be for everyone" line amusing since who wouldn't want a transparent window into their music? Flat is justice! lol I just can't get into obviously colored sigs at all. Some aspect of it always annoys me over time. I've got a friend who started off as a total basshead and through meeting up with me over the years, he's completely been turned onto neutral phones lol. He recently met up with me to audition the SR2170 after coming from the Noble K10 and he was completely floored. Said it was the absolute best thing he'd ever heard.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Cheers guys, much appreciated.

Regarding lossless formats, I'm currently deciding between getting the Zeppelin remasters on cd OR getting the HD downloads (96/24)...which version is more desirable?

I'd be wary of the HD stuff. Might pay to look up some info on it. I believe HD Tracks was busted for selling up sampled FLAC files. A friend of mine tested some of the files he got off of there and the spectrogram/waveform looked pretty much identical to a FLAC rip of the same album lol. Not saying it's all illegitimate, but caveat emptor when it comes to that sorta stuff

MegalonJJ

Banned
Yeah, that's pretty much what I suspected (not saying it's true) but it looks like lossless rips of the cds are probably what I'll be doing.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Anyone have any experience with the Sennheiser Urbanite XL Wireless? I'm looking for a new wireless exercise set.

Huh, didn't know there was a new thread... subscribed!

Anyway, I'm currently rocking a pair of MDR-V6's for the last couple of years now. I've also got a Superlux HD 662F as my backup but now that I've actually got some extra cash to spend I'm thinking about getting another pair... so what would be the upgrade coming from a MDR-V6?

I keep seeing deals for the ATH-M50x but from what I've been reading, those cans aren't really an upgrade, pretty much the same throughout with a more V shape EQ or whatever.

As for my listening habits, honestly I listen to everything and it's why I haven't really deviated from the MDR-V6's as they've got a perfect balance for any kind of music. And I'd like for these new cans to have this same quality. But more importantly, and this is the biggest reason why I'm still rocking them V6's, they also have to be studio monitor quality. I've been recording, mixing and mastering tracks on my V6's and sure it's not as great as mixing with actual monitors(getting a set of Mackie MR5 mk3's next month) but it's balanced enough that it doesn't sound terrible unless you're listening to $5 headphones.

Price limits are basically non-existent since I'm in no rush in buying these cans, probably getting them in June, but I'm just asking now so I can do some research and maybe they'll pop up as a sale and I'll be able to get it then haha.

Top Bottom