• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The General Star Trek Thread of Earl Grey Tea, Baseball, and KHHHAAAANNNN

gofreak said:
For UK-ers, they're running TNG on Bravo at night now.. saw the episode with Picard's Cardassian interrogation the other night.

Is Bravo the only channel in the UK re-running TNG?

There are episodes on BBC2 late at night periodically.

besada

Banned
Just saw "Hard Time". That was an amazingly good, and very powerful episode. One of the best Trek episodes across all series I've ever seen. I'm not even that big a fan of O'Brien, but Colm Meaney played did a wonderful job with this episode.

It reminded me of the truly painful M.A.S.H. final episode where Hawkeye falls apart over the death of a child that he indirectly caused.

I've never really seen any Star Trek, but I think the new movie looks amazing, so I've decided to start watching it from the beginning. Two episodes into the original series, so far so good.

besada

Banned
Cranehand2ndComing said:
I've never really seen any Star Trek, but I think the new movie looks amazing, so I've decided to start watching it from the beginning. Two episodes into the original series, so far so good.

So much goodness (and badness) for you to see.

I caught Star Trek Generations last night on HBO. I remember liking this movie back when it was released in the theater, but found it severely lacking while watching last night.

Cranehand2ndComing said:
:lol Wow. Only ~720 episodes to go!

Cranehand2ndComing said:

You're only 2 or 3 episodes away from this classic!

evilkirk2381.gif

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
besada said:
Just saw "Hard Time". That was an amazingly good, and very powerful episode. One of the best Trek episodes across all series I've ever seen. I'm not even that big a fan of O'Brien, but Colm Meaney played did a wonderful job with this episode.

It reminded me of the truly painful M.A.S.H. final episode where Hawkeye falls apart over the death of a child that he indirectly caused.

Yeah Hard Time is probably the best O'Brien episode. It uses a sci-fi mechanic to tell a very human story. (like a reverse Inner Light now that I think about it.) Love it to death.

Snaku

Banned
Clevinger said:
Wow. Did Sisko just bang alternate dimension Dax? Hot.

Oh...old man! OH! ARGH OLD MAN RIGHT THERE!! HARDER! AHHHHH!

*breathes*

You know just how I like it, old man...

besada

Banned
Dax01 said:
No, we didn't have sex, we just kissed.

Sisko, via Memory Alpha, says you gave it up.
Avery Brooks was especially happy when he read the teleplay for this episode, because in it, Sisko has sex for the first time since the show began. And not once, but twice; first with Dax and then with The Intendant. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion)

Whore.

Clevinger

Snaku said:
Oh...old man! OH! ARGH OLD MAN RIGHT THERE!! HARDER! AHHHHH!

*breathes*

You know just how I like it, old man...

:lol

What makes it so funny is I can imagine exactly how it would look with his goofy acting.

I'm watching the original series for the first time on my xbox through netflix. I'm on the 4th episode and i feel like it's gotten through that awkwardness from the first 3 of awkward dialogue and random shots of peoples faces.

I'm such a star trek noob :lol

besada said:

One my favorite aspects of DS9 is much the writers fucked with O'Brien. Job ain't got SHIT on him.

The girl whom I showed "Duet" and didn't liked it watched "The Wire" last night and she said it was really good!
Christmas Break is coming up, and I asked her if she has time to watch three episodes and she said she would be able to.
I'm thinking of showing "Cardassians," "Necessary Evil," and "Hard Time."

Until she has time to watch the whole series (she's too busy right now and will likely be until the end of the school year), she probably won't see other episodes unless I can think of other good ones.

Kak.efes said:
I'm just amazed at the amount of love DS9 gets around here, pay no mind to me :)
When you're being an ass, I can't help it. DS9 gets so much love because it's just that awesome; Garak has gained another fan (my friend), and Besada is going through DS9 and posting his impressions, so right now it isn't unusual to find more posts talking about DS9.

Alcander

So i've started watching the original series.... I don't know what to think. I'm a big TNG fan, and liked Enterprise ok, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get into the original series...

The acting from most of the guest starts and secondary characters is often so over-the-top its laughable, and the special effects are just ....:lol :lol

I appreciate it for what it is, and I love it for starting what it did, but gah, aside from the writing and stories, I dunno :lol

besada

Banned
Dax01 said:
:lol Yes, it is.

Besada, how far along are you in DS9?

I just watched "One Little Ship", so I'm well into Season Six. I haven't run across any really weak episodes lately, so if you want commentary on a specific one, just let me know.

The recent stand outs that weren't Dominion War related (which are all good), are "Far Beyond the Stars", "Children of Time", and "Soldiers of the Empire".

I don't even hate Bashir anymore. I understand what you meant about the character development. No other Trek even comes close to the range these characters are seeing. I can't say I was really pleased with the handling of Odo's "Link Addiction" subplot, but other than that I've really enjoyed watching the characters change and grow.

I'm not sure I'll ever be able to let go of TOS as my favorite, in part because of the Kirk/Spock/McCoy triangle, and in part because it fathered most of the background and most of the plots for the following shows, but I already like DS9 more than I did TNG.

BorkBork

besada said:
I just watched "One Little Ship", so I'm well into Season Six.

Next outstanding episodes: Inquisition and of course, everyone's favorite, in the Pale Moonlight.

besada

Banned
Best three episode run of the series, starting with "Inquisition", then "In the Pale Moon", and followed by the pay off of "His Way".

I'm already feeling sad knowing there's only one season left.

besada

Banned
Dax01 said:
Wow, Besada, you're plowing through this. I thought you would have been in season 5.

I'm in the middle of one of my extended bursts of insomnia, so I'm making serious headway.

BorkBork

I kinda thought His Way was a bit too schmaltzy, but if you liked that, "Chimera" will be fantastic.

besada

Banned
BorkBork said:
I kinda thought His Way was a bit too schmaltzy, but if you liked that, "Chimera" will be fantastic.

It was, but the payoff of the extended cat and mouse game between Kira and Odo makes up for that.

Instigator said:
You're only 2 or 3 episodes away from this classic!

evilkirk2381.gif

WOW. This episode was incredible; Shatner\Nimoy\Kelley triple threat is killer, script and acting are fantastic, and it's the first episode where I really BELIEVE in the Enterprise as a cohesive structure rather than a series of sets. (Sulu freezing subplot was LOL as fuck btw)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
gen0892.jpg

Forget watching that stupid kid poke his eye out with a BB gun, spread some real Holiday cheer. A Next Generation Sci Fi channel marathon tomorrow. (there's also a Star Trek movie marathon on Space in Canada)

December 25th
8:00 AM - THE ARSENAL OF FREEDOM
9:00 AM - SKIN OF EVIL
10:00 AM - ELEMENTARY, DEAR DATA
11:00 AM - TIME SQUARED
12:00 PM - DEJA Q
1:00 PM - A MATTER OF PERSPECTIVE
2:00 PM - SAREK
3:00 PM - BROTHERS
4:00 PM - FIRST CONTACT
5:00 PM - GALAXY’S CHILD
6:00 PM - THE DRUMHEAD
7:00 PM - ETHICS
8:00 PM - THE OUTCAST
9:00 PM - BIRTHRIGHT - PART 1
10:00 PM - BIRTHRIGHT - PART 2
11:00 PM - STARSHIP MINE

December 26th
12:00 AM - LESSONS
1:00 AM - THE CHASE
2:00 AM - FRAME OF MIND
3:00 AM - DESCENT - PART 1
4:00 AM - DESCENT - PART 2
5:00 AM - PHANTASMS

Or just have some good ol' DS9 family fun and watch the great father/son episode, "In The Cards"

Willie_Mays_baseball_card.jpg

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/product.aspx?product=DMC11068&mode=retail&picture=out

$2,200

DMC11068.jpg

A $200 non-refundable deposit will be charged on all preorders placed.

A Diamond Select Release! With the sci-fi status and geek grandeur of Captain Kirk's command chair in your collection you can boldly go where no fan has gone before! This full size recreation of the U.S.S. Enterprise's Captain's Chair delivers all the accents and details from the historic prop along with modern lighting and sound effects and phrases designed to thrill any Star Trek enthusiast! The working swivel design accentuates the two-piece construction, making this the perfect addition to any collection, display or museum! Limited to 1,701 pieces worldwide.

*****NOTE - Shipping fees may be extremely high for this item, and we may need to ship by truck instead of UPS depending on the size. International shipments may need to ship by air freight, and actual shipping will be determined when item is to be shipped.
Product Number: DMC11068
Shipping Weight: 140.00 pounds

Cheebs

Fandango did it's annual polling of movie goers (not little online polls, but real polling) to see what movies will be the highest grossers of next year. Usually it is pretty solid in how the summer films end up doing. If it is the same this year then it looks like our little Star Trek franchise is on the brink of becoming a gigantic blockbuster for the masses :

Most Anticipated Blockbusters of 2009 - According to Men:
1. Star Trek
2. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
4. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
5. Terminator Salvation
6. Watchmen
7. Angels & Demons
8. Public Enemies
9. G.I. Joe
10. New Moon

Most Anticipated Blockbusters of 2009 - According to Women:
1. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
2. New Moon
3. Transformers: Revenge of The Fallen
4. Angels & Demons
5. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
6. Star Trek
7. Public Enemies
8. Night at the Museum: Battle of the Smithsonian
9. The Lovely Bones
10. Where the Wild Things Are

Busty

Banned
Cheebs said:
Fandango did it's annual polling of movie goers (not little online polls, but real polling) to see what movies will be the highest grossers of next year. Usually it is pretty solid in how the summer films end up doing. If it is the same this year then it looks like our little Star Trek franchise is on the brink of becoming a gigantic blockbuster for the masses :

We shall see. I'll be there opening weekend regardless but I still have serious reservations that this film will be the summer smash that everyone seems to assume it's going to be.

But to be perfectly honest I will eat my fucking hat if Star Trek is still above Transformers come March/April. These things are moving targets especially as we still have the Avatar trailer to debut.

There's still alot of space between now and Summer 09. If you recall Ironman wasn't tracking that great until the Superbowl trailer that blew people away.

It's early and there's no such thing as a 'dead cert' in showbiz.

Most Anticipated Blockbusters of 2009 - According to Men:
1. Star Trek
2. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
3. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
4. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
5. Terminator Salvation
6. Watchmen
7. Angels & Demons
8. Public Enemies
9. G.I. Joe
10. New Moon

Who are these 'men'?

Cheebs

Busty said:
We shall see. I'll be there opening weekend regardless but I still have serious reservations that this film will be the summer smash that everyone seems to assume it's going to be.

But to be perfectly honest I will eat my fucking hat if Star Trek is still above Transformers come March/April. These things are moving targets especially as we still have the Avatar trailer to debut.

There's still alot of space between now and Summer 09. If you recall Ironman wasn't tracking that great until the Superbowl trailer that blew people away.

It's early and there's no such thing as a 'dead cert' in showbiz.
Oh of course, a lot can change. But as of right now the mere fact that most of the average male movie goers are looking forward to Trek is quite a miracle after Nemesis and Enterprise.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
:eek:

cool new star trek feature starting on chud:

On May 8, Paramount Pictures' new Star Trek film will be released. Between now and then I will watch and review every single episode of the original Star Trek TV series and the 7 films that involve members of the original cast.

Never let it be said that I didn't have ambition.

This will be the longest, most in-depth series in the history of this site; it will run at least 84 parts, and if response is strong, it will stretch out even farther as I do the entire run of Star Trek: The Animated Series, which features almost the entire cast reprising their roles. It will run every single weekday, with a couple of breaks built into the schedule, and a couple more padded in just in case I get behind.

Why do this? The brouhaha surrounding JJ Abrams' prebootquel to the original show reawakened my inner Trekkie, and the completion of the remastering of the original series gave me a hankering to revisit episodes that I probably haven't seen since I was in high school. It's also a lot of fun, and an opportunity for those who are looking forward to the new film - or dreading it - to begin a countdown to its release. It's also hopefully a way for those unfamiliar with the particular charms of the original series to discover why so many people are taken with the adventures of Captain Kirk, Mr. Spock, Dr. McCoy and the rest of the crew of the Starship Enterprise.

Those looking for 80 some odd entries of sheer slagging, sorry. This is going to be similar in tone to my 10 Days of 13: CHUD Goes to Crystal Lake series: affectionate but also funny. I love the original Star Trek, but I'm not unaware of its many faults, quirks and its heavy dose of campiness. These are all part of the reason I love it so much, in fact.

One final note before I unveil the structure of the series: I'm watching the remastered episodes for this, so don't expect many wisecracks about models hanging on wires. Other shoddy production design may be up for critique, though.

Each entry will look something like this:

Episode: The Episode Title
Stardate: The opening Stardate, as given in the Captain's Log entry at the start of each episode
Episode number: I'll be specifying in which order they aired as well as which order they were produced. The two do not match up.
Written by: Crediting the writer of the episode, hopefully with some interesting biographical asides
Directed by: Same as above, with directors

And the review goes here.

Kirkin' Out: Each episode features at least one moment of intense Kirkitude. I'll be picking my favorites and talking about them here.

Spockmarks: Spock also gets a showcase scene in almost every episode. I'll be highlighting his best moments.

Redshirt: You know the cliche: anyone wearing a red shirt on a landing party is as good as dead. We'll be keeping track of red shirt deaths (as well as non-red shirt crew demises) here.

Dilithium Bullshit: Psuedo-scientific jabber is a hallmark of Star Trek. Each time some kind of made up science is used ('I reversed the polarity of the warp core!') I'll be noting it here.

Support Staff of the Week: Sure, Kirk and Spock get the best moments, but every episode has somebody else stepping up and creating magic. Whether it be regular bridge personnel like Sulu or Uhura, or randoms who show up for one episode, I'll be spotlighting the brightest, weirdest and funniest crewmembers on the Enterprise here.

Continerdity: The little moments that make a Trekkie's eyes light up. Revelations of character's pasts. Information about important planets. References to past episodes, or things that will be referenced in future episodes or movies. I'll be deeply indebted to the Memory Alpha Wiki for making this section work.

Set Phasers to Quote: The best, worst or funniest line from the episode.

The adventure starts Monday at midnight.

Top Bottom