• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball Super |OT7| Please wait for Tien to be cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lamel

Banned
Freeza after tournament

20294563_1399334406788837_9042473253842535088_n.jpg

This disgusts me.

Rutger

Banned
Freeza isn't the main villain here and is on the U7 team now so already the circumstances are different than ROF. A couple of weeks ago, you were arguing that Freeza shouldn't put aside his grudge to work the team with as it would "change" his character. Now you're arguing that you don't want him to remain the same so what I am wondering is, which is it? It only brings me back to what I said before that it really isn't how Freeza was added that bothers you just the fact he was added at all.

I don't mind the idea of Frieza being here, but I'm worried the writers won't be able to find something new and interesting to do with him, and they haven't given me a reason to believe that yet. And yes, I've argued that Frieza shouldn't change because he has been established many times as a character who can never see the error in his ways, and that's what makes it so difficult to write him into the story again. The things that made him such a perfect villain on Namik make it nearly impossible to do anything new with the character afterwards.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just can't think of anywhere else the character can be taken without it feeling out of character or a retread of the past. Frieza has the most to prove in this arc, because he doesn't have a place in the story unlike everyone else on U7.

Eylos

Banned
This arc has so much potential.

a) Frieza's betrayal
b) U7 campers get eliminated via a massive ki blast
c) U7 campers survive and eventually win
d) Goku new form allows him to challenge Zeno's guards
e) Grand Priest reveals himself as the main villain of the arc
f) There's someone more powerful than Zeno

I could go on and on. I hope the show's writers give us something really awesome.

P.S. I can't find a good Kale pic to use as avatar :(

20232624_1396906010365010_9118623899905424076_o.jpg

20247664_867255893432754_3171948597968393841_o.jpg

dd88cc936bf4731f36fb80eb8891f0b0.jpg

Skeeter49

I don't mind the idea of Frieza being here, but I'm worried the writers won't be able to find something new and interesting to do with him, and they haven't given me a reason to believe that yet. And yes, I've argued that Frieza shouldn't change because he has been established many times as a character who can never see the error in his ways, and that's what makes it so difficult to write him into the story again. The things that made him such a perfect villain on Namik make it nearly impossible to do anything new with the character afterwards.

I'd love to be proven wrong, but I just can't think of anywhere else the character can be taken without it feeling out of character or a retread of the past. Frieza has the most to prove in this arc, because he doesn't have a place in the story unlike everyone else on U7.
I'd argue Frieza becoming a God of Destruction, or trying to would be big for Frieza's character.

I'm conflicted. I want a SSJ2 Caulifla avatar, but I want to keep my Kat avatar. :(

I don't know if it was talked about here, but apparently a more recent version of the Goku transformation poster was released with text that translates to
"something terrible happens"
or something.
Do you guys think Roshi might die? I'm remembering how surprisingly somber that scene was of him visiting Yajirobe & Korin

Could someone be ressurected on this tournament? Besides maybe by the supreme dragon?

Where the soul would Go?

It's been explained that the soul doesn't go anywhere, it ceases to exist, so it's very unclear if Super Shenron could even bring someone back that's been erased.

Champa is an awesome character. Not a single dull moment when he's on screen.
I may be alone in this but does anyone else think Champa's acting like an ass during this tournament? He was ok in his arc and the baseball episode, but here so far he seems hellbent on getting U7 and Beerus erased, even going as far as to support other Universes. Like, darn dude, this is your brother we're talking about, the one that wasted a Super Dragon Ball wish on your Universe!
Freeza after tournament

20294563_1399334406788837_9042473253842535088_n.jpg
You all laugh, but the time will come when Frieza is picking Bra and Pan up from school and driving them home asking how their day was.
Lmao. Imagine Freezer becoming the "Piccolo" to Vegeta's family.

Well, I don't think it's possible for you to be satisfied with Freeza no matter what they'll do with him. You've made it clear you don't want him to become a better character by operating differently than he did in the Namek arc or ROF. He'll either be the same as he was or be ruined if his character evolves differently. They literally can't win.

I think the important thing is that they've done his character justice in his recruitment episodes and have set up tons of potential along the line for his character to evolve from Namek era self. In a similar way, Vegeta and Piccolo and any of the other former villains changed from their initial appearance. The groundwork is there now all they need to do is make sure they don't ruin the potential from this point forward.

RocknRola

Freeza works well as he is, he doesn't really need to be redeemed in any way or shape. You always need that "devil" character that makes things worse at the worst possible moment.

Nappa killed them and then Vegeta killed Nappa. Justice served!

That can't be true though it was Vegeta who ordered it and was the reason they were there in the first place.

It must be karma that Vegeta has to stomach Freeza for this latest tournament. After all he now knows how Tien felt when the Z fighters let Vegeta off during the Android saga.

Rutger

Banned
Well, I don't think it's possible for you to be satisfied with Freeza no matter what they'll do with him.
That very well may be the case. I've made it very clear that I think Frieza has been written into a corner, brought back twice and he refused to change his approach in the slightest both times, where can he go now that isn't a repeat of the past or him acting out of character? The only natural and different path I can imagine for Frieza is if he becomes the Starscream to another villain, scheming to take over but never succeeding(and honestly I think that would be great, I would gladly say I was wrong for doubting the writers if something like that happens).

Piccolo and Vegeta are very different, because right after they were the villain they start playing supporting roles. They had a natural development into their more heroic roles by showing they can change instead of doubling down on how they were before.

Mediking

Lmao I am truly a casual DBZ fan...

I just remembered how cool it was to see Goku and Vegeta first fight. I remember playing Budokai on GameCube. Goku did this super awesome pose and Vegeta did a super awesome pose then Vegeta lunged at him. Man, that was hype. The game did a cool camera angle thing where you saw it from Goku's perspective for a moment.

Interview with Sean Schemmel and Jason Douglas.

http://geekandsundry.com/dragon-ball-super-actors-reflect-on-the-animes-legacy-and-tease-its-future/

A few interesting tidbits come up in this interview. Discussion range from their overall thoughts on Dragon Ball and Goku as a character to Goku Black to the current Multiversal tournament.

Sean says he might tweak his Goku Black voice, thank god.
Hopefully they go with one voice too, instead of Rose having a completely different voice like in XV2.

Magwik

Banned
Interview with Sean Schemmel and Jason Douglas.

http://geekandsundry.com/dragon-ball-super-actors-reflect-on-the-animes-legacy-and-tease-its-future/

A few interesting tidbits come up in this interview. Discussion range from their overall thoughts on Dragon Ball and Goku as a character to Goku Black to the current Multiversal tournament.
We didn’t know then – he’s actually a Zamasu from another universe trapped inside Goku’s body. We didn’t know any of that, so my only my only acting cue was “it’s evil Goku.” So, vocally what’s the opposite of that? I’ve done the lower voice of Super Saiyan 2 or 3, but I wanted to make something really gravely, and evil, and sinister, and guttural.
tumblr_static_tumblr_static_8tjptbosj20wco48s8ck8ococ_640.jpg

It's just a freaking great show, and it has a lot of elements that people really like. I've never been able to quite put my finger on it, but it represents this primal spirit of not giving up. And I know a lot of lot of people feel repressed, or oppressed. We heard the story of this kid beating 400 bees that were attacking him because he charged up like Vegeta, and it saved his life apparently. So, I think there's a spirit inside that I just makes it this... gift that keeps on giving.

sick

Sheroking

Hopefully they go with one voice too, instead of Rose having a completely different voice like in XV2.

To be more specific, he said he's changing his Goku Black to sound more like the english Zamasu voice-actor and teased it would be "quasi-British".

But then there's my Goku Black situation, for example. I've gotten some flak for the voice, I've gotten some praise for the voice. I'm not really worried about that as much, because I just don't consider acting a collaborative art with my audience. I am thinking about tweaking it, though – not necessarily because of the response – but because, understandably, Toei and the video game developers in Japan wouldn't tell us more about Goku Black other than ”he's just an evil Goku."

edit: more

Chris Sabat and I are going to look at the storyline when we get there, sometime next year. We'll be analyzing it. We'll try some voices out. We're not going to pay attention, sadly, to what the fans want – because I can't have 80,000 directors in my head. That's too many cooks in the kitchen. So, I'm trying serve the piece, but also do what I want as an artist. Sure, I want to make the fans happy but, at that same time, I can't worry about that.

VariantX

^
The fuck is wrong with Toei?? You cant expect someone to do their job properly if you don't give them all the tools they need to do it. That's like asking someone to build a doghouse out of wood but without a hammer or saw.

Yeah, if he just uses the Rose voice then its all good.

emb

But he told us he's been doing this for years and he knows Goku better than anyone?

Anyways, glad to see him kinda owning his error. His Rose voice is perfect, just use that.

Is it? I just don't understand how the transformation can change his voice.

I'm sure other VA's won't do that like the Latin dub one.

Magwik

Banned
Is it? I just don't understand how the transformation can change his voice.

I'm sure other VA's won't do that like the Latin dub one.
It doesn't. Rose came far later than Black did in XV2 so by then they had an idea of what Black should be like, it's a small course correction.

It doesn't. Rose came far later than Black did in XV2 so by then they had an idea of what Black should be like, it's a small course correction.

I still don't understand why the voice is different than Goku's. Rose sounds like a completely different character in the English dub.

Fj0823

I still don't understand why the voice is different than Goku's. Rose sounds like a completely different character in the English dub.

But Rose is an eloquent, sinister tone of Goku's English voice just like it works in JP.

It was the Bale Batman voice that was the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom