• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

That "Despacito" song hit 2 billion YT views in ~5 months

Wood Man

Off-topic but:

It's a very high quality 3D rendered cartoon for kids, made in Russia. It's really good and the rendering is super fine (none of this offshore animated in China crap).

Masha-And-The-Bear-Wallpapers.jpg

Recipe for a Disaster is the single best episode IMO where Masha prepares too much porridge.

I was thinking Goldie & Bear

goldie_jackjump.png

the video is kind of infectious and the dude does have a nice voice so I think there is something to it

and the girl don't hurt

That said, more and more when something blows up like this, i'm more inclined to believe that its related to a viral marketing campaign or a weird youtube algorithm quirk than anything to do with...uh, a more "natural" critical mass? but then I guess that raises the question of what determines "real" popularity.

Ricky_R

I like the song, but being from Puerto Rico, you would unserstand how tired I am of it already. Still, I think the track and melodies are nice. I'm glad for them and their sucess with this song.

Daddy Yankee seems to always be around hits btw, but this one is huge though. Don Omar must be salty af.

yyr

My not-even-2-year-old nephew-in-law is probably personally responsible for at least 500 of those. He listens to this sort of music on YouTube (on autoplay) for hours every day.

He's also learning 3 languages and recently learned to safely navigate stairs.

I suspect he will grow up to be an evil genius.

13ruce

Banned
Now i understand why radio's still send out 80s 90s and disco songs so much this is just pure crap.

Never heard it too btw weird not even in clubs/pubs.

big_z

I'm always so baffled by these numbers. I literally never even heard a second of this song before or was aware of its existence before reading this thread 20 seconds ago. 2 billion fucking views? How?

Are bots and paid views still a thing on YouTube? I'm in Canada and this is the first I've heard the song too. I don't listen to the radio all the time but still often enough while driving I'm positive I should have heard it by now.

Reeks

Bailando? Oh man. I get it, you don't listen to Latin music, but is that really your only frame of reference?

I like the song, but being from Puerto Rico, you would unserstand how tired I am of it already. Still, I think the track and melodies are nice. I'm glad for them and their sucess with this song.

Daddy Yankee seems to always be around hits btw, but this one is huge though. Don Omar must be salty af.

Lol El Rey been salty. I love him but dude's a total prick. Got tickets to see him in LA once. They were expensive af. Anyways, there was no opening band, he played for like 30-40minutes and then bounced. Everyone was heart broken.

RocknRola

Regardless of quality, taste, it's impressive to me how now we have plenty of videos with 1 billion+ views, and even several with 2 billion+ views!!

I remember how even getting to 1 billion (in a single video) was a BIG deal. Just goes to show how connected we are these days and how easy it is for a big chunk of the World to keep up with anything happening everywhere (smartphones and tablets are the biggest "culprits" of this I guess). Especially when we consider how much less time it takes to reach these sort of numbers now.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When I hear this song played on the radio for the bazillionth time, I always reflect on how easy it is to rhyme in languages with gendered morphemes and how hard it is to do that in English, relatively speaking.

Emimen truly is a genius.

iFirez

A friend of mine asked if this was English when they heard it on the radio. Tears came out my eyes from laughter. They were dead serious.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
A friend of mine asked if this was English when they heard it on the radio. Tears came out my eyes from laughter. They were dead serious.

To be fair to your friend, there are a lot of songs that are sung in actual English that are really really hard to understand.

Dominator

I didn't hate the song initially... but I hear it about 20 times a day at work. I would give anything to never hear it again.

What I find funny about the remix is that the English lyrics are so much less explicit than the Spanish ones. They never curse, but every word in Spanish is about good old fashioned down-home baby making, exactly as God and nature intended.

Somehow, the English language lyrics in the Bieber version lose some of that and I'm not sure why.

Miggytronz

🇵🇷 The island may have a failed government but dammit we are super proud of our cultures music, food, women, rum and Medalla Light!!!!🇵🇷

This fucking song Its HUGE here in Argentina. Last week I was about to take the subway and some motherfucker was playing this song with a violin. You know a song its huge when some random person plays it with a fucking violin. Nice version doe.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
Still haven't heard it and I'm keeping it that way!!

2 billion minus one.

Off-topic but:

It's a very high quality 3D rendered cartoon for kids, made in Russia. It's really good and the rendering is super fine (none of this offshore animated in China crap).

Masha-And-The-Bear-Wallpapers.jpg

Recipe for a Disaster is the single best episode IMO where Masha prepares too much porridge.

Masha is a monster. That poor bear.

Having said that, easily my preferred watching with a two-year-old. Fuck Paw Patrol.

JDB

Banned
Sounds fine, but doesn't strike me as something that'd get 2b views on YouTube. Shows what I know I guess.

navii

My fantasy is that my girlfriend was actually a young high school girl.
Hot chick. That's it. Hate the song.

Koomaster

Since I don't listen to the radio I had not heard this song till like a week ago (maybe less) but once I heard it I couldn't stop listening to it. Then suddenly people are talking about it. It's a great song, it deserves the views (listens?).

mavo

Banned
I'm always so baffled by these numbers. I literally never even heard a second of this song before or was aware of its existence before reading this thread 20 seconds ago. 2 billion fucking views? How?

Latin America doubles the population of the US, plenty of songs in Spanish reach or are around the one billion mark.

On behalf of Puerto Rico, I apologize for this song.

As much as we hear it elsewhere, it must be insufferable how often it gets played in PR. I know Puerto Ricans take a lot of pride in anything that their people create so I can only imagine how often it gets played down there.....

This is pretty crazy. Didn't it take Gangam Style like 3 years to reach it?

Despacito song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJQP7kiw5Fk

It's a nice tune but IMO Bailando was much better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUsoVlDFqZg

Bailando is also > 2B views.

Was Bailando in a Fast and Furious movie? I keep hearing it on Spotify, and although I can't remember ever hearing it on the radio, it gives me a nice feeling of familiarity. Better then the Bieber song by quite a bit.

see5harp

I don't mind the Beiber vocals, but the other two dudes sound so generic on this song. I honestly don't know why it's so popular.

Hrothgar

The Netherlands here, this is the first time i've ever heard the song.

To be fair, I don't listen to radio or watch a lot of TV. But still.

Really?! I've been hearing it for months now at parties and in clubs.

Reageaton seems to becoming crazy popular the last year.

Pancho

Qurupancho
As much as we hear it elsewhere, it must be insufferable how often it gets played in PR. I know Puerto Ricans take a lot of pride in anything that their people create so I can only imagine how often it gets played down there.....

You don't even know, man.
Every fucking remix

NinjaBoiX

I've never heard this before in my life, sometimes ignorance is bliss.

(Why does shit like this gain so much traction? It's like alchemy.)

The song's lyrics are catchy whether you understand them or not and it's a lot of fun to dance to. I love it and think it deserves it's success.

Top Bottom