• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone : "Why can't [Justin Trudeau] be our president?"

Snwaters

I am truly glad for our Canadian bretheren up north that they get a decent leader in times like these, especially after having a guy like Harper in office. But while this makes for a nice change of pace, Slate has a bit of a warning for you:

Link

My prime minister, Justin Trudeau, enjoys a public image as the anti–Donald Trump. A young, sensitive, feminist, environmentalist with a progressive stance on marijuana; a welcoming attitude toward foreigners; and a glorious head of natural hair, he seems in every way the opposite of the U.S. president...

All this may fluff the self-esteem of needy Canadians while serving as a useful narrative for shell-shocked American liberals desperate for a positive role model. But it’s a fantasy.

The truth is that Trudeau isn’t Canada’s answer to Trump. He’s Canada’s answer to Barack Obama. Our habit isn’t to reject America. It’s to imitate you, a few years later and a few degrees milder. Just like you, we replaced a divisive old conservative (Stephen Harper) with a young, feel-good centrist in progressive clothing. Unlike you, we played it safe and went with a name-brand candidate—only in Canada could the son of a former prime minister be considered a transformational leader...

While America’s press celebrates Trudeau for seemingly thumbing his nose at Trump, Canadian media praises him for successfully ingratiating himself to the president, skillfully avoiding opportunities to bruise the Donald’s ego. Nervous Canadians who know their place want a smooth relationship with the giant next door, whatever the circumstances.

Yet mere submission might not be enough. Canadians tend to demand emulation, and if our copycat trend continues, the electorate will eventually choose a Canadian Trump, just as it elected a Canadian Obama. It’s a plan well underway.

Leading the polls in the current leadership race for Canada’s Conservative Party is a reality television star who cultivates the persona of an obnoxious rich businessman. Sound familiar?

Americans may know Kevin O’Leary from ABC’s Shark Tank. Canadians have a decent chance of knowing him as our next prime minister.

Stay vigilant. Don't make our mistake Canada. Please

I like Trudeau. People are never satisfied with anyone it seems, but I think he is a good man and I'm happy he's our Prime Minister.

If Trumpism was coming to Canada then Kellie Leitch would have won the CPC leadership.

I don't see anything resembling Trumpism succeeding in Canada. Harper got rejected and his successor is more of the same.

Harper was in power because the other parties didn't run any likeable charismatic candidates against him. One reason Trump got elected is Democrats didn't have a likeable, charismatic candidate.

Jebusman

Banned
I am truly glad for our Canadian bretheren up north that they get a decent leader in times like these, especially after having a guy like Harper in office. But while this makes for a nice change of pace, Slate has a bit of a warning for you:

Link

Considering O'Leary lost that leadership race, I feel like that article is a little dated nowadays.

jtb

Banned
This is so pathetic.

The Trudeau fetishizing is so played out. Yes, we get it, he's attractive and does the ~memes~. Follow that path, and we'll get Gavin Newsom in 2020. Whee.

Well, for obvious reasons he can't be our president, but I wouldn't mind someone like him. Younger, mainstream progressive with a congenial attitude. Seth Moulton out of Massachusetts seems close, and he's taking a very visible role as of late in the Democratic party. Not that he'd be a candidate for 2020 or maybe even 2024, but if he's still a public figure by 2024, then I think he'd be being groomed for a run.

To be honest, though, I don't know much about Trudeau. I like his charisma and personality from clips I've seen of him on TV, but when it comes to Canadian politics, I don't know much about it.

Moulton labels himself a progressive, but votes more like a moderate. Regardless of his views, I haven't found him to be particularly charismatic either.

While Trudeau is being compared to Obama, Trudeau is following Bill Clinton's idea that "It's the economy, stupid." The Canadian economy is growing, unemployment is dropping, and the Canadian dollar is rising in value. Nothing but sunny ways for Canada, sunny ways.

bionic77

We already have Manitoba and Saskatchewan, you can keep your fly-overs and Trumps (all of them - even Tiffany) thanks
Apparently he sucks.

I am just trying to help my Canadian neighbors because it is not fair that we get to monopolize all of the greatness...

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
my American friends constantly chide me for criticizing Trudeau on Twitter, with this sort of you think you've got things bad sort of way... which I get, Trump is a maniac, but I don't see why Canadians should lower our standards just because an orange lump of hate got elected south of the border.
Going with the CPC is lowering our standards. So until the NDP get their shit together, Trudeau is perfectly fine. After 10 years of that science hating, bible thumping, old stock Canadian pushing fuck Harper, Trudeau is massive step up. He's not perfect, and I'm still pissed at how election reform went, but my god is he better than ever having another CPC candidate as PM.

Going with the CPC is lowering our standards. So until the NDP get their shit together, Trudeau is perfectly fine. After 10 years of that science hating, bible thumping, old stock Canadian pushing fuck Harper, Trudeau is massive step up. He's not perfect, and I'm still pissed at how election reform went, but my god is he better than ever having another CPC candidate as PM.

I'm hoping people don't fall for Scheer next election. Harper in sheep's clothing.

Flux

Trudeau is a good PM. Could do more, but considering the past PM and political landscape he's done well. Like Obama, he gets attacked by the right nonstop to tell us everything he does is actually evil.

Isn't he like a closet conservative with a good PR department?

Like he supports that Canada's nature gets destroyed for some oil?

Trudeau's policies are very progresssive. Even for the Liberals.

Yes he approved a pipeline but Canada's economy greatly relies on oil right now. Transitioning our economy to renewable energy isn't going to happen overnight but he's moving us in that direction.

People want him to just flip the switch but that's not how it works.

Pedrito

For right-wingers, he's a commie
For left-wingers, he's a neoliberal hypocrite/"just like Harper"

The truth is somewhere in the middle.

Trudeau is a lovely hood ornament and I think a pretty good guy but so far his actual legislative accomplishments leave a lot to be desired. he backtracked on voting reform and hasn't said shit about C-51. the pot thing is going forward so that's good but apart from being very Instagrammable he's kind of a disappointing leader on a wonky level.

I mean, don't let facts get in the way of the narrative you've built in your head:

This week, the Trudeau government finally tabled its promised reform of C-51. It took a lot longer than promised, but the wait has been worth it.

Bill C-59, An Act respecting national security matters, is the law the Harper government should have passed in the first place. Where C-51 was partisan and unprofessional, C-59 is a serious effort to craft a law that balances the need for a modern, data-based security apparatus with the rights and liberties of Canadians.

It reaffirms the primacy of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms. It defines what CSIS can and cannot do to reduce a threat. It narrows the reach of Criminal Code clauses about “promoting” terrorism that were too broad and which risked making political speech a crime. It better protects Canadians’ privacy when government departments share information.

It also finally gives Canadians the right to know whether their name is on the no-fly list – something the United States did two years ago – and some modicum of recourse when someone is included in error.

Above all, the Liberal bill creates multiple layers of accountability.

You can criticize the legislation, but don't pretend it doesn't exist.

Link

Counterpoint: Jesse Brown is a no-nothing idiot.

Savitar

He's good, not great, doesn't equal his father by a country mile, at least not without another two decades under his belt perhaps but after the last PM we had this guy is like a breath of fresh air.

He's good, not great, doesn't equal his father by a country mile, at least not without another two decades under his belt perhaps but after the last PM we had this guy is like a breath of fresh air.

Does he need to do a pirouette when the Queen is in town?

jstripes

Banned
If you want to trigger a Canadian conservative, just say the name "Trudeau". It truly spans every generation.

The oil sands are a tricky problem. Harper tied so much of our economy to them that shutting them down would literally destroy our economy. We need a long-term solution to retire them, and Trudeau understands that. Some of us on the left can have a problem with not seeing the bigger picture too.

G-Bus

Banned
Can't fucking stand the way Trudeau talks. Drives me crazy.

Americans wouldn't like him. He'd privatize industries and sell them to China

Nope.

Canada's current CO2e projections under a status quo scenario (high to low GDP growth)
20161219-1-en.jpg

How Canada plans to reach it's target

The Trudeau government's concrete actions on climate change:

Pricing carbon pollution

1) Jurisdictions will choose a system: they can put a direct price on carbon pollution or they can adopt a cap-and-trade system.

2) Pricing will be based on GHG emissions and applied to a common and broad set of sources to ensure effectiveness and minimize interprovincial competitiveness impacts.
Revenues collected stay with the province or territory of origin.

3) The provinces and territories decide how to use this money. For example, they can give it back to families, build rapid transit, or support small businesses that will innovate and create good jobs for Canadians.

4) In provinces and territories with a direct price on carbon pollution, the price will start at a minimum of $10 per tonne in 2018, rising by $10 each year to $50 per tonne in 2022.

5) The Government of Canada will provide a pricing system for provinces and territories that do not adopt one of the two systems by 2018.

Sustainable and efficient homes and buildings

The Government of Canada will work with the provinces and territories to:

1) Develop a “net-zero energy ready” model building code, with the goal that provinces and territories adopt it by 2030.

2) Develop a model code for existing buildings to help guide energy efficiency improvements during renovations, with the goal that all provinces and territories adopt it.

3) Develop tools to support the aim of requiring labelling of building energy use by as early as 2019.

4) Use funds from the $2 billion Low Carbon Economy Fund and green infrastructure investments to help interested provinces and territories expand their efforts to improve building energy performance.

5) Set new standards for heating equipment and other key technologies.

6) Support Indigenous communities and governments as they improve the energy efficiency of their buildings.

Transportation

Canada is continuing to invest in more charging stations.

1) Budget 2016 provides $62.5 million for infrastructure for alternative transportation fuels, including charging infrastructure for electric vehicles and natural gas and hydrogen refueling stations.

2) Budget 2016 will invest up to $3.4 billion to improve and expand public transit systems across Canada over three years starting in 2016–17; and, as announced in the Fall Economic Statement, an additional $25.3 billion will be invested over the next 11 years in new transit networks and system extensions.

3) Canadians are already benefiting from improvements in the fuel efficiency of new passenger vehicles. By 2025, it is expected that new cars and light trucks will consume up to 50% less fuel than 2008 vehicles.

4) Canada has the world's strongest air emissions standards for new cars and light trucks.

5) Canada’s Clean Fuel Standard will aim to reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 30 Mt per year by 2030.

Clean tech R&D

This fall, the Government of Canada announced $21.9 billion over 11 years for green infrastructure which will include targeted investments to support greenhouse gas reductions and enable greater climate change adaptation and increased resilience. This investment will in part support the attraction of the capital investments necessary to transition Canada's electricity system towards 90 percent non-emitting by 2030.

Plus a lot more. All information can be found here: https://www.canada.ca/en/services/environment/weather/climatechange/climate-action.html

"empty shell, ornament" etc. replies fly straight in the face of facts. Proves that everyone, not just willfully ignorant people are susceptible to fake news.

Trace

Banned
It's funny how all my Canadian friends criticize their president while the media in the US continues to glorify him.

He's Prime Minister, not President.

That being said I think he's doing a pretty good job, he's miles better than Harper ever was.

frontovik

Banned
From this Canadian's perspective ...he doesn't seem to be doing anything of particular benefit for Canadians or the global community currently. He has a great PR team though.

Trace

Banned
From this Canadian's perspective ...he doesn't seem to be doing anything of particular benefit for Canadians or the global community currently. He has a great PR team though.

Where does this narrative come from? Like does he need to be bailing out the oil industry or something to be seen as "getting stuff done"? Or invading a country? Or some other Harperlike thing?

Fou-Lu

The narrative that Trudeau has done nothing at all (or has only done bad things) as Prime Minister is so prevalent among people I thought were educated that it's crazy.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

Improved taxes for the middle class? Child benefit? EI waiting time? Etc

Syrian refugees?

Zeeman

I'm still irritated at him about electoral reform and the fact that they keep charging people for pot crimes that will be legal in like a year

The alt-right are certainly following to the conservative playbook, ignoring all facts and spreading falsehoods. Canada's economy is growing, dollar up, unemployment down and the international community loves Canada. The renewed Paris agreement, positive comments from G20 leaders and the international press. Sticking to their playbook, the next conservative mouthpiece will raise the Omar Khadr settlement and the "cynical subversion of Canadian principles." Ruining Canada, no backbone, light weight, not ready, Go team!

Myths

First post was just fine the way it was, shouldn't have edited. Thought it was a joke just as much as the question.

Ain't these the dudes that put the bomber on the cover? Not surprised, kinda seems like they're going Something else entirely. 😑

djkimothy

While Trudeau is being compared to Obama, Trudeau is following Bill Clinton's idea that "It's the economy, stupid." The Canadian economy is growing, unemployment is dropping, and the Canadian dollar is rising in value. Nothing but sunny ways for Canada, sunny ways.

Not in Ottawa! It's raining like fuck.

jstripes

Banned
It's funny how all my Canadian friends criticize their president while the media in the US continues to glorify him.
He's a Prime Minister, not President. We have a parliamentary system of government..

The Conservative noise machine is trying to make it look like Trudeau is a disappointment and unpopular. Make enough noise consistently and you can influence popular opinion.

The alt-right are certainly following to the conservative playbook, ignoring all facts and spreading falsehoods. Canada's economy is growing, dollar up, unemployment down and the international community loves Canada. The renewed Paris agreement, positive comments from G20 leaders and the international press. Sticking to their playbook, the next conservative mouthpiece will raise the Omar Khadr settlement and the "cynical subversion of Canadian principles." Ruining Canada, no backbone, light weight, not ready, Go team!
Yup. He's doing a decent job, and he's improving over time, but because he won the election with such hype right wing gadflies are doing the whole "he's not perfect therefore he's trash" routine.

Mauddib

Banned
Wait, the replies in this thread confuse me. People seem not to like Trudeau much? Do people not like him because he talks like a populist, or are his actually policy positions not very good?

Yup. He's doing a decent job, and he's improving over time, but because he won the election with such hype right wing gadflies are doing the whole "he's not perfect therefore he's trash" routine.

Funny to look at Trudeau's twitter feed and see the same MAGA and similar pro Trump accounts spreading bullshit about whatever he's writing about.

Same fucking shit as the US. Tempted to write my
MP if they have any plans to address propaganda in advance of the next elections.

Top Bottom