• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

SilverLunar
(06-19-2017, 08:41 PM)

Originally Posted by Symbiotx

Surely this will get the backlash that Destiny did for not having the grimoire in game........... right?

I definitely see an Overwatch influence in this approach.
Belgian Dude
(06-19-2017, 08:43 PM)

Originally Posted by Combat Wombat

The next game needs a single player campaign! Imagine 1v100 but expanded into a full on beat 'em up with multiple enemy types and bosses. So much potential.

I really want an action/platformer out of ARMS. Your arms are the grappling hook. Use a well controlled punch to navigate around laser beams and hit a button in the end. Punch downwards to be propelled in the air. I know this probably wouldn't be a story mode fitting for ARMS: The Fighting Game but I hope the franchise expands later.
Willenium
(06-19-2017, 08:46 PM)
Can't wait til Nintendo adds deep aftermarket lore to Punch-Out!! and somehow links it to ARMS.
wild wild rice
(06-19-2017, 08:49 PM)

Originally Posted by RRockman

Because Nintendo.

-Kosuke Yabuki, 2017

Yabuki don't give a fuck god bless him.
Filter
(06-19-2017, 08:50 PM)
To me the character designs look very old school, like Osamu Tezuka characters. Especially Spring Man.
13ruce
Banned
(06-19-2017, 08:51 PM)

Originally Posted by Wildo09

Was there something missing on Smash? I felt that game had huge amounts of content. Mario Kart 8 had the same amount as previous games.

Adventure mode/Story Mode like melee or brawl.
It's why i only have like 20 hours of playtime in Smash 4 and like thousands on melee and brawl.
The Technomancer
card-carrying scientician
(06-19-2017, 08:53 PM)
Yes. I need to understand what the fuck is going on in ARMS
TheDinoman
(06-19-2017, 08:53 PM)

Originally Posted by Willenium

Can't wait til Nintendo adds deep aftermarket lore to Punch-Out!! and somehow links it to ARMS.

For awhile, my headcanon was that Spring Man was actually Little Mac rebuild as a cyborg. Think of it like The Six Million Dollar Man.
13ruce
Banned
(06-19-2017, 08:54 PM)
Will this be ingame content? I certainly hope so i don't want lore on social media i want it in my game:P
Hibiki Kurosawa
Cool, I just hope that it can reach the standard that other fighting games have set for backstory.
WrenchNinja
Biff gives tiny snippets of story in the intros but it's pretty embarrassingly barren
Kayo Police
(06-19-2017, 08:55 PM)
I could use more backstory for sure.
Falchion
(06-19-2017, 08:58 PM)
I'm down for this, 'gameplay dictates lore' approach. It's kind of funny but I'm looking forward to how they'll justify it.
Anteo
(06-19-2017, 08:58 PM)

Originally Posted by purseowner

2 ARMS will have a single player campaign a la Splatoon 1 on WiiU, mark my words.

Fixed.
SciencePilot
(06-19-2017, 08:59 PM)
That's actually... Kind of surprising? I'm intrigued though. I want to hear this story.
MoonFrog
(06-19-2017, 08:59 PM)

Originally Posted by Falchion

I'm down for this, 'gameplay dictates lore' approach. It's kind of funny but I'm looking forward to how they'll justify it.

It is the Nintendo approach to pretty much every thing they make.
Tempy
don't ask me for codes
(06-19-2017, 09:02 PM)
Arms backstory:

twintelle.jpg
foxuzamaki
Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
(06-19-2017, 09:04 PM)
Dragon ball as a influence haha
LucidMomentum
(06-19-2017, 09:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Tempy

Arms backstory:

twintelle.jpg

All I need fam.
jooey
The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
(06-19-2017, 09:05 PM)

Nintendo planning to release large amounts of back

done and done
FairXchange
(06-19-2017, 09:06 PM)
Bring it on, I freaking love the game. I could see myself getting into the lore.
oti
Banned
(06-19-2017, 09:07 PM)

Originally Posted by redmetal86

Everyone likes backstory.

I believe Nintendo has realised how important that stuff has become nowadays. They need unique characters with fleshed out stories so the fans fall in love with them.

That's why I think the Splatoon squids have a huge disadvantage here. But they could always introduce unique characters here as well.
maxcriden
(06-19-2017, 09:09 PM)
I want to know how he said "because Nintendo" in Japanese. Just curious as part of my studies of the language. "任天堂てます"?
Graphics Horse
graphics horse
graphics horse
does whatever a
graphics horse does
(06-19-2017, 09:14 PM)
Akira? Definitely need a dlc character with Tetsuo style arms
jlscool
(06-19-2017, 09:17 PM)
I was pretty disappointed after seeing all the ARMS Direct footage with talking Biff when the main game has nothing but Biff talking garbled speech and in a different tone/pitch.
AlStrong
(06-19-2017, 09:18 PM)
Because they wanted reach with consumers?
SinCityAssassin
(06-19-2017, 09:18 PM)

Originally Posted by jlscool

I was pretty disappointed after seeing all the ARMS Direct footage with talking Biff when the main game has nothing but Biff talking garbled speech and in a different tone/pitch.

That's because that's how Biff sounds in Japanese. his deep voice is a western change.

And like with Dragon Ball, I prefer that deeper voice instead.
mickagau33
(06-19-2017, 09:20 PM)

Originally Posted by Filter

To me the character designs look very old school, like Osamu Tezuka characters. Especially Spring Man.

This so much. And I love it. Weird they didn't mention him as visual influence. It is so obvious.
AquaWateria
(06-19-2017, 09:21 PM)
I wonder if we will get a Buu type of character lol.
What The Forest Taught Me
(06-19-2017, 09:23 PM)
If they add a single player story campaign with some meat to it, I'm in.
JonnyDBrit
(06-19-2017, 09:24 PM)
Considering the brief tie-in that Splatoon got, perhaps an ARMS manga?

I mean, ARMS' characters have much more potential for an actual serialised story than Splatoon does, where the player character is a blank slate. With the ARMS cast, they each have specific styles, motivations, and possible interests to bounce off of one another in a story.

That said, some shorts or a more developed story mode could go a long way too.
heringer
(06-19-2017, 09:28 PM)
KingBroly
(06-19-2017, 09:28 PM)

Originally Posted by What The Forest Taught Me

If they add a single player story campaign with some meat to it, I'm in.

It's not really a game that I could see them adding a story mode to. It's just not that kinda game.

You basically have Arcade Mode (with varying difficulties) and Survival Mode here. Is it enough? Eh...not, really, especially since it's very hard. It does need something else, though.
heringer
(06-19-2017, 09:31 PM)

Originally Posted by KingBroly

It's not really a game that I could see them adding a story mode to. It's just not that kinda game.

You basically have Arcade Mode (with varying difficulties) and Survival Mode here. Is it enough? Eh...not, really, especially since it's very hard. It does need something else, though.

Why not? I could totally see a saturday morning cartoon style story for the game.
JonnyDBrit
(06-19-2017, 09:34 PM)

Originally Posted by KingBroly

Originally Posted by heringer

Why not? I could totally see a saturday morning cartoon style story for the game.

One possibility there would be building around the arcade mode. Ie, adding little cutscenes or dialogue interactions before, during, and after fights so that you at least get a sense of how the fighters feel about each other - not unlike what many other fighting games do.
Kissenkopf
(06-19-2017, 09:35 PM)

Originally Posted by heringer

It would be way more fun if the backstory would be totally dark and the exact opposite of the funny and colorful characters. Make it gritty just to stand out against other Nintendo games. Make it as dark as Akira...:D
heringer
(06-19-2017, 09:36 PM)

Originally Posted by JonnyDBrit

One possibility there would be building around the arcade mode. Ie, adding little cutscenes or dialogue interactions before, during, and after fights so that you at least get a sense of how the fighters feel about each other - not unlike what many other fighting games do.

Yeah, that could work too. It doesn't have to be something super fancy.

Originally Posted by Kissenkopf

It would be way more fun if the backstory would be totally dark and the exact opposite of the funny and colorful characters. Make it gritty just to stand out against other Nintendo games. Make it as dark as Akira...:D

I would like that, sure. Not happening though, even if Akira was supposedly an influence. :P
Sesuadra
(06-19-2017, 09:38 PM)

Originally Posted by Kissenkopf

Imho splatoons backstory is already pretty dark >.>
LotusHD
(06-19-2017, 09:40 PM)
Yea... I'm just gonna stick to looking forward to more social media stuff. Expecting a story mode and what not is a bit silly.
Stormblessed
(06-19-2017, 09:40 PM)
I love the game and all, but I don't see you could add much more than they have. At least Nintendo is likely to show more restraint than the likes of Bungie.
Cottiny
Banned
(06-19-2017, 09:47 PM)

Because Nintendo.

-Kosuke Yabuki, 2017

What a man, he's just a god.
Lucent
(06-19-2017, 09:53 PM)

Originally Posted by TangoAlphaLima

I hope it's Grimoire Cards.

No, not really.

I could tell you why they have stretchy arms. I could tell you the back story of every character. But I won't.
Galava
(06-19-2017, 09:53 PM)
They want to pull off an Overwatch with ARMS. More fighters with their own story, maps, lore... And I like it.
Version 3.0
(06-19-2017, 10:01 PM)
Today, I learned that Nintendo is aware of "Because Nintendo", but does not seem to comprehend its proper usage.

"Nintendo focuses on game design over story" is not a "Because Nintendo" decision.

"Nintendo produces 10x more Smash controllers than Gamecube controller adapters"
"Nintendo does not include proprietary AC adapter with system'"
"Nintendo says online sucks, GBA Link Cable is where it's at"
"Nintendo requires cellphone for voice chat"

These are "Because Nintendo" headlines.
Brenal
(06-19-2017, 10:01 PM)
Ha,Ha incredible response but yeah they seem to be taking the overwtch route, wich makes sense, the mario kart team never had to flesh characters before for obvious reasons. It is interesting how splatoon and Arms handle their multiplayer and single player content. In Arms all modes are avaliable in single player and multiplayer while in splatoon hero mode is exclusively single player while Both salmon run and turf war/rank are multiplater only.
Sheriff_Battlesnake
(06-19-2017, 10:03 PM)
So ARMS is Nintendo's answer to Overwatch Fandom, eh?

Awaiting the torrent of ships! (That I'm sure are already there.)

Originally Posted by Galava

They want to pull off an Overwatch with ARMS. More fighters with their own story, maps, lore... And I like it.

You are a thought thief.
Juneau Joe
Choose your own tag:
Master Yeats
OR
Marry Antoinette
(06-19-2017, 10:10 PM)

Originally Posted by jlscool

Agreed. Biff voice was great. I want that in the game.
mindsale
(06-19-2017, 10:10 PM)
Lore.

Lore is why the game had a middling reception.

Add some lore and this game is easily a 10/10.
Giga Man
(06-19-2017, 10:38 PM)

Because Nintendo.

-Kosuke Yabuki, 2017

Nintendo is becoming more and more self-aware than I anticipated.
Shard
XBLAnnoyance
(06-19-2017, 10:47 PM)

Originally Posted by Sheriff_Battlesnake

So ARMS is Nintendo's answer to Overwatch Fandom, eh?

Awaiting the torrent of ships! (That I'm sure are already there.)

This shipping was will be intense as they always are.