• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Haines
Member
(11-05-2016, 02:52 PM)
Haines's Avatar
Here is Rtings settings.
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings
Edit. If you have the latest firmware, it is now right to set color space to auto instead. Native was due to a firmware bug.

Here is a settings video by AVFORUMS
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X71yX0FCVd4

Here are some settings by CNET
https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...and-hdr-notes/

Here is the AVS forum thread for the TV
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lc...7466?_k=vaaqbw



Here are my final settings for this tv. i will add notes, as some stuff is preference or varies by panel, environment and brightness.

This is on the the 55inch panel with a PS4 PRO. PC use different settings.

For gaming

Picture mode : movie, special viewing mode game

Go to expert settings

I use backlight anywhere from 5 at night to 10 during day. Set to preference and environment lighting, time of day etc
Leave brightness at 45
Contrast at 90-100. I use 94.
Sharpness at 0
Color at 50. A calibration disc will tune this number to your specific panel,
Tint 50. again, calibrate if looking for perfect settings
Smart led low/high or off is ok. I leave mine on high.
Make sure hdmi uhd color is on each input you use 4k hdmi
Black level auto
Resolution at auto
Dynamic contrast off
Color tone warm 2 (this can be preference)
Gamma 0
Color space auto

Hdr for gaming!
This is bugged, you will have to manually up the backlight to 20 for hdr game content in gaming mode and back to 5-10 when you are done. Hopefully we get a fix soon
Set dynamic contrast. This can vary by preference. Off gives best range and detail. I like low to rid of the dim image.
Smart led is reccomended to be on high for hdr.

Ps4 video settings all set to auto

If you want 4k hdr streaming on netflix you will need to use the tv app until the ps4 one
Hdr content outside of gaming will turn backlight to 20 .You will not get a notification like in gaming for hdr content
Smart led on high for hdr content.

For movies, Netflix etc
Color tone warm 2. Industry standard
I leave digital clean view and auto motion plus off in movie mode. You can use digital clean view for clean looking 720p content if you wish

My tv sound is on audio out/optical with bitsream and dolby digital for my logitech 5.1 pc surround i use
Ps4 audio is hdmi out, bitstream digital
Than optical from tv to surround.hdmi from ps4 to tv

Tips.
Do not forget to check in game brightness slider far games with a new tv. I find defualt is best on most.
Do not forget to change your settings for all modes, including when hdr kicks in on netflix etc.
Turn eco settings off
Turn samsung light off it annoys you in system expert settings
Settings > System > Expert Settings > Light Effect > Off
Turn anynet off in system expert settings if you dont want tv to power on systems hooked up
Make sure you update to latest firmware
Xbox 1s. Turn color depth to 10 bit
Do not use hdr+ mode. This is just a fake hdr setting. This is not how you enable HDR.
Using game mode for movies and TV is probably OK. Use at your discretion. Switching to movie mode makes sense to me bc I swap between warm1 and 2 for each type of media
PSVR processing box will prevent hdr from working. Not compatible.
Use the proper hdmi cable 2.0 for hdr, aka the one that comes with the pro
Smart led can bring out light issues in tv. Turn down or off to help, but dont forget high is wanted for hdr
Optical sound resets to pcm on tv with some devices when you switch input.
Some recievers have issues and do not pass hdr through. Check yours does.
Some of us use a very very small bit of sharpness on stuff like wiiu bc the tv looks soft on that resolution of content. Use to your preference.
Last edited by Haines; 06-21-2017 at 12:44 AM.
v0mitg0d
Member
(11-05-2016, 02:54 PM)
v0mitg0d's Avatar
Family member just got one of these. Thanks for posting this.
nikwhatsup
Junior Member
(11-05-2016, 02:54 PM)
Backlight at maximum? Need to try this later. RIP My eyes.

Doesn't smart led add input lag?
shira
Member
(11-05-2016, 02:54 PM)
shira's Avatar
There's already a thread on the tv, idk repost this there too?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1280181
nikos
Member
(11-05-2016, 02:56 PM)
nikos's Avatar
Great thread for those of us who just picked up this set.

Hasn't Samsung stated that Color Space should be set to Auto for HDR content? I use Native for gaming but remember reading that somewhere. Perhaps it was for regular video content.
Ricker
Member
(11-05-2016, 02:58 PM)
Ricker's Avatar
Backlight to max...? guess this is new because I have rarely seen a calibration setting like this...most are actually pretty low.
MCD
Junior Member
(11-05-2016, 02:59 PM)
MCD's Avatar
My settings:

Game mode

Backlight 7 (depends on your room). Set this to max for HDR games.
Brightness 45
Contrast 85 (found 85 much better with dynamic contrast set to medium) but set it to 100 for HDR games
Color 50
Sharpness 15 (0 is better but some old games like Lost Odyssey got really soft)

Smart led high

Color native

Hdmi black level low (console set to standard)

Gamma -1. Set it to 0 for HDR games.

Dynamic constrast medium.

UHD color on.

Color tone warm 2.

This is ultimately my preference. Please adjust according to your set and eyes.
MCD
Junior Member
(11-05-2016, 03:00 PM)
MCD's Avatar

Originally Posted by nikwhatsup

Backlight at maximum? Need to try this later. RIP My eyes.

Doesn't smart led add input lag?

Backlight set to max for HDR games is different from regular backlight.

I can't explain it but for me I didn't find it eye straining with HDR.
Haines
Member
(11-05-2016, 03:03 PM)
Haines's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ricker

Backlight to max...? guess this is new because I have rarely seen a calibration setting like this...most are actually pretty low.

It's could be wrong? Just a quote from rtings.
infinityBCRT
Member
(11-05-2016, 03:03 PM)

Originally Posted by nikwhatsup

Backlight at maximum? Need to try this later. RIP My eyes.

Doesn't smart led add input lag?

HDR needs maximum backlight because the content supports brighter values than regular content. I use backlight at 50% for non HDR content. If I watched the HDR and non HDR versions of a movie at backlight 50%, the HDR one would look a lot darker.
infinityBCRT
Member
(11-05-2016, 03:08 PM)

Originally Posted by MCD

My settings:

Game mode

Backlight 7 (depends on your room). Set this to max for HDR games.
Brightness 45
Contrast 85 (found 85 much better with dynamic contrast set to medium) but set it to 100 for HDR games
Color 50
Sharpness 15 (0 is better but some old games like Lost Odyssey got really soft)

Smart led high

Color native

Hdmi black level low (console set to standard)

Gamma -1. Set it to 0 for HDR games.

Dynamic constrast medium.

UHD color on.

Color tone warm 2.

This is ultimately my preference. Please adjust according to your set and eyes.

Don't use dynamic contrast. It's just processing away details. If your set its calibrated correctly (just use the rtings settings lol) you don't need this. Trust the people who mastered the content over your TV's auto processing!

Personally with lights on backlight 10 for me in non HDR content.
Hjod
Member
(11-05-2016, 03:11 PM)
Hjod's Avatar
Good idea for a thread, I'm getting my tv next week. Samsung should probably be paing Sony some money with the ammount of KS8000 being sold haha.
maximrace
Member
(11-05-2016, 03:12 PM)
maximrace's Avatar
So for hdr games there are a few things you should keep in mind:

- Turn the backlight to max. For normal content this results in a way brighter image but in hdr it works different. This results in a image comparable to a normal image but highlights get way brighter.

- Turn your contrast to max. A benefit to hdr is the huge increase in contrast. The Samsung can handle max contrast without clipping so use it.

- Set color space to native to use the extra colors. You could set it to auto but I noticed the tv doesn't always change it.

- Do not use dynamic contrast. I have seen a lot of people say you need to use dynamic contrast but this is wrong. Using dynamic contrast just brightens up the image a lot resulting in a loss of the higher range you can display. People use this because they find the hdr image to dim, but it's supposed to be like that. Hdr is mastered to be viewed in a pitch black room, in a room with more light the image will start getting dimmer. Dynamic contrast helps with that but it isn't a good solution because you'll some of the extra range the tv displays.
ViciousDS
Banned
(11-05-2016, 03:14 PM)
maybe we should have a HDR and your TV settings thread.........theres a lot of folks with the X800D and the LG B6 series as well.


Its pretty much the 3 tiers of TV's for HDR that are decent for gaming lol


Low Tier - X800D
Mid Tier - KS8000
High Tier - LG B6


Although the X800D will be harder for those with screens bigger than 43 inches.....as those are IPS panels, while the 43 inch is a VA panel resulting in much deeper blacks. So you would have to split that into the 43inch model....and 49inch or higher model


would create a thread......but.....I;m juniored for....another month I think XD
Hero_of_the_Day
Member
(11-05-2016, 03:15 PM)
Hero_of_the_Day's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ricker

Backlight to max...? guess this is new because I have rarely seen a calibration setting like this...most are actually pretty low.

Only for HDR content. I believe it actually does this and sets the colors to native automatically when HDR content is playing. Maybe I just have my TV set up that way, though.

I like Smart LED on low instead of high. You can see it fucking around with things too much in dark scenes when it's set to high. My dad noticed it as well on his KS8500.
Last edited by Hero_of_the_Day; 11-05-2016 at 03:21 PM.
Haines
Member
(11-05-2016, 03:30 PM)
Haines's Avatar

Originally Posted by Hjod

Good idea for a thread, I'm getting my tv next week. Samsung should probably be paing Sony some money with the ammount of KS8000 being sold haha.

Yeah mines coming this week. It's the input lag and better HDR that got me.

But without having settings proper you will find many confused people as to why they're TV doesn't look awesome.
Aztechnology
Member
(11-05-2016, 03:33 PM)
Aztechnology's Avatar
Not to mention so many of us are getting it from the Perks at work program so we're nabbing the 55" for $729 before tax. How can you pass that up.
Bryan Newman
Member
(11-05-2016, 03:33 PM)
Bryan Newman's Avatar
Can anyone share their settings for Xbox One S while watching 4K Blurays?

I bought two KS8000s this week and another Xbone One S (One for me and one for my dad).

I definitely am going to have to be the one to calibrate my dad's set up so any tips would be appreciated!
MCD
Junior Member
(11-05-2016, 03:35 PM)
MCD's Avatar

Originally Posted by infinityBCRT

Don't use dynamic contrast. It's just processing away details. If your set its calibrated correctly (just use the rtings settings lol) you don't need this. Trust the people who mastered the content over your TV's auto processing!

Personally with lights on backlight 10 for me in non HDR content.

I don't care.

I trust my preference.
Bryan Newman
Member
(11-05-2016, 03:35 PM)
Bryan Newman's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aztechnology

Not to mention so many of us are getting it from the Perks at work program so we're nabbing the 55" for $729 before tax. How can you pass that up.

That's where I got mine but you got it cheaper.

I bought two 49" the other day for $1000 each but I got 15x WOW points for it (like $300 total)
Aztechnology
Member
(11-05-2016, 03:39 PM)
Aztechnology's Avatar

Originally Posted by Bryan Newman

That's where I got mine but you got it cheaper.

I bought two 49" the other day for $1000 each but I got 15x WOW points for it (like $300 total)

Damn that's exciting. The Perks at work site is pretty great. I'm surprised it's so easy to just keep proliferating invites though. Is it basically just a rewards site and not a corporate deal so much? I had bought that PC Richard's deal for the 6290 for $300 no tax and free shipping and had resigned myself to having a small guy. So that's still coming and I need to figure out what to do with it. I'm hoping my parents will take it off my hands as they are in sore need of an upgrade.
Silent-blades
Banned
(11-05-2016, 03:51 PM)
http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/js8500

Would this apply to this tv as well?
Haines
Member
(11-05-2016, 03:54 PM)
Haines's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aztechnology

Not to mention so many of us are getting it from the Perks at work program so we're nabbing the 55" for $729 before tax. How can you pass that up.

Such a good deal I used it up here in Canada.
Septimus
Member
(11-05-2016, 03:54 PM)
Septimus's Avatar
Am I right in reading that you have to mess with a bunch of settings every time you want to play an HDR game? Can't you just set a preset or something?
Rbk_3
Member
(11-05-2016, 03:59 PM)
Rbk_3's Avatar

Originally Posted by Septimus

Am I right in reading that you have to mess with a bunch of settings every time you want to play an HDR game? Can't you just set a preset or something?

No, game mode is broken and doesn't auto go to an HDR picture mode like Movie or Standard. Hopefully they fix it.
SeanR1221
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:00 PM)
SeanR1221's Avatar
Here's what works best for me and my setup (a pretty well lit basement)

Game Mode
Backlight - 8
Brightness - 50
Contrast - 90
Sharpness - 50
Color - 50
Tint - G50-R50
Smart LED - High
HDMI UHD Color - on
HDMI Black levels - normal (set the PS4 RGB black levels to full)
Dynamic Contrast - off
Color Tone - Standard
Gamma - 0
Color Space - Auto
Last edited by SeanR1221; 11-05-2016 at 04:07 PM.
infinityBCRT
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:03 PM)

Originally Posted by MCD

I don't care.

I trust my preference.

Then why even post settings here? Just turn on vivid mode and let people fudge around with settings on their own and everyone can go in their merry way.

The point of telling settings for me it's to dial in your display to the way the people who created the content ment it to be seen. Basically, seeing what they saw when they mastered it. And for movies there is a standard that you can calibrate towards. Your preferences are your preferences I guess but if you go down the line of getting the best picture and learning more youll understand you are introducing things that can degrade the picture in certain suggestions if you go on your preferences rather than trying to dial in your display to the Rec 709 (SDR) and Rec 2020 (HDR) standards. I didn't spend this much money on a tv that is able to do almost reference quality visuals then to not have reference quality visuals.
rinse82
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:04 PM)
rinse82's Avatar
I don't have my KS8000 yet but is there anyone using one with their Harmony remote? Wondering if I can program the activity for PS4 to switch to game mode automatically
infinityBCRT
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:07 PM)

Originally Posted by rinse82

I don't have my KS8000 yet but is there anyone using one with their Harmony remote? Wondering if I can program the activity for PS4 to switch to game mode automatically

Just keep on game mode for your ps4 input at all times. if the settings are right it will look good. You don't need the extra processing the non game mode provides. The only problem is in gamer mode it doesn't save separate settings for hdr and non hdr in game mode so get used to adjusting your backlight to max when HDR content is on your game console
Haines
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:09 PM)
Haines's Avatar

Originally Posted by infinityBCRT

Just keep on game mode for your ps4 input at all times. if the settings are right it will look good. You don't need the extra processing the non game mode provides. The only problem is in gamer mode it doesn't save separate settings for hdr and non hdr in game mode so get used to adjusting your backlight to max when HDR content is on your game console

Are you saying you won't switch to movie mode when you watch a movie?
Kremzeek
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:12 PM)
Kremzeek's Avatar

Originally Posted by infinityBCRT

HDR needs maximum backlight because the content supports brighter values than regular content. I use backlight at 50% for non HDR content. If I watched the HDR and non HDR versions of a movie at backlight 50%, the HDR one would look a lot darker.

Yes and I think the Samsung saves separate settings when you are viewing HDR vs. SDR, correct?
So you don't have to change these settings every time you go back and forth between content.
Robiin
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:12 PM)
Robiin's Avatar
Anyone knows what this particular tv model is called in Europe?

And is this better than the LG models, or just more affordable? If you had all the money in the world, would you buy the Samsung or the LG?
Quick Mustard
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:15 PM)
Quick Mustard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Haines

Here is Rtings settings.
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings
:For HDR gaming, once that game is enabled, increase the backlight to max, set the 'Color Space' to 'Native' and set 'Smart LED' to high."

I'm going to assume you also need to turn HDR mode on for the relevant HDMI port as well as the above?
Quick Mustard
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:20 PM)
Quick Mustard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Robiin

Anyone knows what this particular tv model is called in Europe?

And is this better than the LG models, or just more affordable? If you had all the money in the world, would you buy the Samsung or the LG?

For some incredibly fucked up reason, Samsung thought it wise to use 7000 instead of 8000 in the UK / EU.
So these settings apply to the KS7000 range as well.

Baffles me why they've done that.
ViciousDS
Banned
(11-05-2016, 04:22 PM)

Originally Posted by Haines

Such a good deal I used it up here in Canada.

Originally Posted by Aztechnology

Not to mention so many of us are getting it from the Perks at work program so we're nabbing the 55" for $729 before tax. How can you pass that up.

HOW!!!!!~
Chamber
love on your sleeve
(11-05-2016, 04:23 PM)
Chamber's Avatar
Does anyone do any White Balance changes for gaming? Game Mode locks you out of 10 Point Balance and Color Space settings but still allows for 2 Point Balance changes. I'm wondering if I should bother adjusting them without being able to touch anything else.
Elios83
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:26 PM)
I have been testing HDR with TLOU, Uncharted 4 and R&C with this TV and I've found that the best settings with HDR on are a bit different compared to what I used for non HDR content.

For me putting the backlight at 20 and dynamic contrast to high really enhances HDR on this TV.
The effect of using these settings in HDR is different compared to non HDR contents where for example 20 backlight for me is definetly too high (and absolutely not possible if you're in a dark room), at the same time without dynamic contrast set to high the colors become too muted and not saturated, which is something that high dynamic contrast fixes (while normally in non HDR contents too much dynamic contrast makes the colors artifically saturated and not realistic).


What I'm using for HDR (well lit-room):

Game Mode On
Backlight 20
Brightness 45
Contrast 90
Sharpness -30
Color 50
Tint G50-R50
Smart LED High
HDMI UHD Color on
HDMI Black levels normal (PS4 set with FULL RGB and deep color)
Dynamic Contrast High
Color Tone Standard
Gamma 0
Color Space Native
Futurevoid
stealth sex brag incoming
(11-05-2016, 04:26 PM)
Futurevoid's Avatar
I no longer own the KS8000 as I swapped it out for the LG B6 OLED but when I owned it, these were my settings with HDR content and game mode enabled:

This is what I've calibrated my set to. It's using the "movie" mode as my settings base and game mode is activated for low latency. Make sure the PS4 RGB range is set for Full.

Backlight: 20
Brightness: 45
Contrast: 100
Sharpness: 0
Color: 50
Tint: G50/R50
Digital Clean View: Off
Auto Motion Plus: Off
HDMI UHD Color: Make sure this is set to On for the HDMI input going to your PS4.
HDMI Black Level Setting: Normal
Dynamic Contrast: Off
Color Tone: Warm2
White Balance: 2-point (only changes for me RGAIN -2, BGAIN 4 - this can vary per panel)
Gamma - 0
Color Space: Native

I felt that produced a good HDR image without any processing added (not a fan of dynamic contrast at all).
Quick Mustard
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:31 PM)
Quick Mustard's Avatar
So, If I'm playing Destiny on my PS4 Pro on this TV in Game mode it will be everything as normal.
But If I then say put in Uncharted 4 which has HDR, will the TV detect this and turn HDR mode on automatically, or is there a setting I need to turn on before playing Uncharted 4?

The comments on rtings.com state this:

Update: After testing the gamma curve in HDR and non-HDR modes we have found that in game mode the TV does detect HDR content and does change to a HDR picture mode.

I know I can believe them, but I'd like to know from more than one source.

And will it automatically shift between HDR and non HDR depending on the game and going back to the OS of the PS4?
Futurevoid
stealth sex brag incoming
(11-05-2016, 04:35 PM)
Futurevoid's Avatar
The TV will automatically detect HDR and turn on the HDR specific picture setting.

HDR turns off and the Tv goes back to whatever regular picture mode you set.
Elios83
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:36 PM)

Originally Posted by Quick Mustard

So, If I'm playing Destiny on my PS4 Pro on this TV in Game mode it will be everything as normal.
But If I then say put in Uncharted 4 which has HDR, will the TV detect this and turn HDR mode on automatically, or is there a setting I need to turn on before playing Uncharted 4?

The comments on rtings.com state this:

Update: After testing the gamma curve in HDR and non-HDR modes we have found that in game mode the TV does detect HDR content and does change to a HDR picture mode.

I know I can believe them, but I'd like to know from more than one source.

And will it automatically shift between HDR and non HDR depending on the game and going back to the OS of the PS4?

When you run the game it will detect that you have a HDR TV and will ask to turn HDR on.
There is also a setting in the video options to turn it on/off.
When HDR is on the TV gives you a message that HDR content is being reproduced on a HDMI input.
Hedrush
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:38 PM)
Hedrush's Avatar
What about other 4k HDR TV's do we make a thread for each one?
newsguy
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:40 PM)
newsguy's Avatar
Anyone jump on the 55" deal for $729 today? I can't think of a better TV sale than that.
Robiin
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:46 PM)
Robiin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Quick Mustard

For some incredibly fucked up reason, Samsung thought it wise to use 7000 instead of 8000 in the UK / EU.
So these settings apply to the KS7000 range as well.

Baffles me why they've done that.

Thanks! I have a norwegian site open (https://www.netonnet.no/art/lyd-og-b.../230547.11451/), would this be one of the tv's people are talking about here?
Jamiaro
Member
(11-05-2016, 04:55 PM)
Jamiaro's Avatar

Originally Posted by Quick Mustard

For some incredibly fucked up reason, Samsung thought it wise to use 7000 instead of 8000 in the UK / EU.
So these settings apply to the KS7000 range as well.

Baffles me why they've done that.

In Finland the same model is called KS7005. Took me a while to figure it out.
Quick Mustard
Member
(11-05-2016, 05:01 PM)
Quick Mustard's Avatar

Originally Posted by Elios83

When you run the game it will detect that you have a HDR TV and will ask to turn HDR on.
There is also a setting in the video options to turn it on/off.
When HDR is on the TV gives you a message that HDR content is being reproduced on a HDMI input.

When you say ask, do you just mean its telling the TV to do it, or does it pop a prompt up for me to accept?

Originally Posted by Robiin

Thanks! I have a norwegian site open (https://www.netonnet.no/art/lyd-og-b.../230547.11451/), would this be one of the tv's people are talking about here?

Originally Posted by Jamiaro

In Finland the same model is called KS7005. Took me a while to figure it out.

I think you two are looking for the same TV here, lol

It looks to be the same as the 49" that I've ordered, which is the KS7000 in the UK / EU and the KS8000 in the USA.

Outstanding Model code selection though, lol. So much variety!

Any idea why companies do this instead of just unifying the model code across the world?
spwolf
If this poster agrees with you, you're probably doing something very wrong.
(11-05-2016, 05:04 PM)

Originally Posted by Hedrush

What about other 4k HDR TV's do we make a thread for each one?

not sure if every set requires 3-4 manual changes between HDR and non HDR game mode, i think it is only Samsung, or other people are not complaining as much.
TLZ
Member
(11-05-2016, 05:06 PM)
TLZ's Avatar

Originally Posted by nikos

Great thread for those of us who just picked up this set.

Hasn't Samsung stated that Color Space should be set to Auto for HDR content? I use Native for gaming but remember reading that somewhere. Perhaps it was for regular video content.

It should be Native for HDR. Auto for non HDR.
Izuna
Member
(11-05-2016, 05:08 PM)
Izuna's Avatar
I'm internally puking as some of these settings. Dynamic Contrast?
Elios83
Member
(11-05-2016, 05:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Quick Mustard

When you say ask, do you just mean its telling the TV to do it, or does it pop a prompt up for me to accept?

The game asks you with a prompt to turn it on for the first time if it detects a HDR TV.
Btw this is something game specific.
Other games don't ask, they turn it on automatically or you have to turn it on in the settings.

Thread Tools