• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

Gbraga
Junior Member
(06-19-2017, 04:40 PM)
Gbraga's Avatar

Originally Posted by Budi

Because people aren't reviewing the game anymore. I need to spend way more time than just few seconds to even find a review that not only complains about the mod bans but also tells what they think about the game. Review isn't really helpful if I only hear about the problem(s), where does it succeed is also important information. Someone who isn't looking for a game to mod but just to play isn't getting any help from these reviews.

What is there to read in review like this "You ban our mods, we ban your income.".

That is another issue entirely. When you don't have "protest reviews", then it's a bunch of kids trying to be funny or edgy. Steam reviews are hot garbage for actually informed opinions on games, have always been. This is actually a constructive use of the feature compared to the average game.
Durante
Come on down to Durante's drivethru PC port fixes. 15 minutes or less. Yelp: ★★★★★

Fixed Souls, Deadly Premonition, Lightning Returns, Umihara Kawase, Symphonia, Little King's Story, PhD, likes mimosas.
(06-19-2017, 04:40 PM)
Durante's Avatar

Originally Posted by User33

The corporate apology in this topic is disgusting.

I agree.

Though I'd call it corporate ballwashing to more luridly express what I think of it.
Roches
Member
(06-19-2017, 04:43 PM)
Roches's Avatar
Lol @ people complaining about reviews for grand theft fucking auto

Yeah I'm sure people need reviews for GTA. After all, it's such a niche title that most people probably haven't heard of it. Disgusting that people are sabotaging reviews and making unknown developer Rockstar suffer financially
Kyzer
RIP to Harambe, the gorilla who died
(06-19-2017, 04:44 PM)
Kyzer's Avatar
Wrong thread lol
Immortal Technique
Member
(06-19-2017, 04:46 PM)

Originally Posted by Kssio_Aug

To take a fast look at the most recommended games for example. Which is not GTA V case nowadays.

Exactly. Which is silly. The end user is not being served.
Budi
Member
(06-19-2017, 04:51 PM)
Budi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gbraga

That is another issue entirely. When you don't have "protest reviews", then it's a bunch of kids trying to be funny or edgy. Steam reviews are hot garbage for actually informed opinions on games, have always been. This is actually a constructive use of the feature compared to the average game.

Absolutely, I just wish it wasn't so. We need more reliable tools to help the consumer in making wise purchasing choices for themselves. Complaining about Take2's actions is just, but the way people are doing it is contributing (not the cause) to the problem with user reviews. While this isn't nearly the worst reason to downvote a game, it still completely ignores the game itself. We shouldn't review Skyrim to be 10 because you can mod it fun (some people do), we wouldn't credit the devs for the work that others have done.
Last edited by Budi; 06-19-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Aaron D.
Member
(06-19-2017, 05:01 PM)
Aaron D.'s Avatar

Originally Posted by Durante

I agree.

Though I'd call it corporate ballwashing to more luridly express what I think of it.

What's really strange is that I see very few people defending Take-Two's actions.

The bulk of the push-back seems to be against the abuse of the Steam User Review system and the ethics of review-bombing.

It is possible to be angry at Take-Two for their actions while simultaneously viewing protest-reviews as fundamentally disingenuous and/or unethical.

Shame so many only view it as a black and white / 'with us or against us' proposition, as it's anything but.

The weirdest thing for me is that I actually see where the protest-reviewer's are coming from. I personally don't think it's right (use of the User Review system), but I understand their rationale. That doesn't automatically absolve Take-Two for their part, they're the jerk-holes who brought it on themselves.

This is why the Corporate Apologist accusations ring hollow, imo. Being invested in legit use of the Steam User Review system has little to do with coddling up with Big Publishers. I think it's more of a desire to see fair representation of a product from an actual game/developer standpoint rather than a political-stand perspective. While I do in truth understand that the lines blur sometimes, I'm fundamentally against abusing the system as it is in place now. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's how I feel and it has nothing to do with trying to protect Big Publishers.

It's a complex issue, but it seems people would rather just pick a side an lob grenades rather than consider the shades of gray.
Last edited by Aaron D.; 06-19-2017 at 05:55 PM.
LelouchZero
Member
(06-19-2017, 06:13 PM)
LelouchZero's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aaron D.

What's really strange is that I see very few people defending Take-Two's actions.

The bulk of the push-back seems to be against the abuse of the Steam User Review system and the ethics of review-bombing.

It is possible to be angry at Take-Two for their actions while sanctimoniously viewing protest-reviews as fundamentally disingenuous and/or unethical.

Shame so many only view it as a black and white / 'with us or against us' proposition, as it's anything but.

The weirdest thing for me is that I actually see where the protest-reviewer's are coming from. I personally don't think it's right (use of the User Review system), but I understand their rationale. That doesn't automatically absolve Take-Two, they're jerk-holes for their part.

This makes the whole Corporate Apologist accusations ring hollow, imo. It's a complex issue, but people would rather pick a side an lob grenades rather than consider the shades of gray.

Is it really abuse though? I've seen numerous reviews which have legitimate reasoning for their negative or positive review.

Reviews are created to evaluate something, often containing both factual and subjective observations. Should someone choose to write a review detailing what they like about the game and what they find negative about it and overall give the review negative then that is their decision based upon their evaluation. This makes it a legitimate review to me. Cursing and leaving things like "F Take-Two!" Isn't what I would say is a legitimate review, or even a meaningful or good review by any means and may even be doing more harm than good, as they're giving the Steam reviews system a bad reputation like this.

Of-course, they'll kind of always be those who wish to do otherwise and people will tackle things in different ways, good or bad. I don't mean to encourage any kind of abusive behavior, that's not good. If you have someone thing to say about GTA V and want to give it a negative review, please make a meaningful review and not just two lines of hatred. The same for positive reviews of any game.

Within the "Frequently Asked Questions" section on Steam for Reviews this is listed:

Q. Can I write a negative review?
A. Yes. If you are unhappy with the product, or don't believe that it is delivering on what it promises, you may write a review and tell other customers why you do not recommend it.

Many people are clearly unhappy with the product as a result of Take-Two's attack on the single player modding community. so they're writing a negative review. Although modding isn't exactly a thing that was promised either. However Rockstar have previously voiced their opinions on single player modifications when asked about it, in which they appear to have no problem with it.

Asked & Answered: The Rockstar Editor, GTA Online Updates, PC Mods and More

Recent updates to GTAV PC had an unintended effect of making unplayable certain single player modifications. This was not intentional, no one has been banned for using single player modifications, and you should not worry about being banned or being relegated to the cheater pool just for using single player PC mods. Our primary focus is on protecting GTA Online against modifications that could give players an unfair advantage, disrupt gameplay, or cause griefing. It also bears mentioning that because game mods are by definition unauthorized, they may be broken by technical updates, cause instability, or affect your game in other unforeseen ways.

PhantomThief
Member
(06-19-2017, 06:42 PM)
PhantomThief's Avatar

Originally Posted by family_guy

Were mods officially supported to begin with? I understand if something that was advertised ends up getting removed after you paid your money, but the reviews should be based on what Rockstar delivered. Steam reviews don't seem like the right platform for this.

Rockstar has advertised and encouraged the use of mods on their blog, so I'd say yes.
OminoMichelin
Member
(06-19-2017, 06:44 PM)
OminoMichelin's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aaron D.

What's really strange is that I see very few people defending Take-Two's actions.

The bulk of the push-back seems to be against the abuse of the Steam User Review system and the ethics of review-bombing.

It is possible to be angry at Take-Two for their actions while simultaneously viewing protest-reviews as fundamentally disingenuous and/or unethical.

Shame so many only view it as a black and white / 'with us or against us' proposition, as it's anything but.

The weirdest thing for me is that I actually see where the protest-reviewer's are coming from. I personally don't think it's right (use of the User Review system), but I understand their rationale. That doesn't automatically absolve Take-Two for their part, they're the jerk-holes who brought it on themselves.

This is why the Corporate Apologist accusations ring hollow, imo. Being invested in legit use of the Steam User Review system has little to do with coddling up with Big Publishers. I think it's more of a desire to see fair representation of a product from an actual game/developer standpoint rather than a political-stand perspective. While I do in truth understand that the lines blur sometimes, I'm fundamentally against abusing the system as it is in place now. Maybe I'm wrong, but it's how I feel and it has nothing to do with trying to protect Big Publishers.

It's a complex issue, but it seems people would rather just pick a side an lob grenades rather than consider the shades of gray.

Yo are we pretending that this update didn't affect the game and people have no reason at all to leave negative reviews?
Your argument may have some ground if, say, a different rockstar game was targeted by bad reviews, but this isn't the case, isn't it?
PhantomThief
Member
(06-19-2017, 06:45 PM)
PhantomThief's Avatar

Originally Posted by Budi

Why are you being so hostile, can't you play nice? You don't seem like a person who should be listened to. And why are you quoting things that nobody has said? Don't make stuff up to validate your own argument, it's again something that doesn't make you look good. If you can't handle people being critical, you shouldn't participate in forum discussions.

Critical isn't calling people who have a legitimate grudge against a company that purely out of greed kills support for it's large modding community, children or babies. Not talking about you specifically, but plenty of salty Take2 fanboys have come into this thread to call us just that.

The guy you quoted has a legit point too. He wasn't being hostile at all but perhaps you haven't read through the entire thread.
Last edited by PhantomThief; 06-19-2017 at 06:50 PM.
PhantomThief
Member
(06-19-2017, 06:49 PM)
PhantomThief's Avatar

Originally Posted by Budi

Agreed, especially since people aren't going to follow through and actually start to boycott them. Talk is cheap.

I do worry for those smaller studios under Paradox though.

Right. So if you aren't worried about it affecting their bottom line, why do you even care that people are voicing their discontent?
Mahonay
Member
(06-19-2017, 06:54 PM)
Mahonay's Avatar
If it were any other game, you could make the argument that the attack of bad user reviews is harmful.

For GTA Fuckin' 5, that argument just doesn't work. It's already one of the highest selling video games IN HISTORY. Take-Two and Rockstar aren't hurting from it in any meaningful way. The bad user reviews is just how some are deciding will be the only way to have their concerns and displeasure noticed.

Take-Two could have avoided this by not being aggressive dick bags, bullying a harmless and creative RP community out of existence....the same people selling more copies of your game with the hard work they've done on their own.

Take-Two is being greedy and vindictive because they feel their precious Shark Cards micro-transaction scheme is being encroached on. That's it. There's no real nuance to it.
VibratingDonkey
Member
(06-19-2017, 06:55 PM)
VibratingDonkey's Avatar
I'd consider the issue of negative Steam reviews due to the game being made worse, making the game seem worse than it is to people who don't care about the game having been made worse in this particular fashion, and/or who don't care to scroll down to find out whether that is the case, to be a minor one. In this case, I should say. Bigger issue for smaller games.

Originally Posted by Budi

Because people aren't reviewing the game anymore. I need to spend way more time than just few seconds to even find a review that not only complains about the mod bans but also tells what they think about the game. Review isn't really helpful if I only hear about the problem(s), where does it succeed is also important information. Someone who isn't looking for a game to mod but just to play isn't getting any help from these reviews.

What is there to read in review like this "You ban our mods, we ban your income.".

Steam reviews tend to be pretty bad. More of a general problem than anything specific to this situation.

You can filter "most helpful positive all time", but for whatever reason not on the store page, only on the page you get to when clicking the tiny link at the bottom of the review block.
Like half of these are still garbage reviews.
Last edited by VibratingDonkey; 06-19-2017 at 07:02 PM.
PhantomThief
Member
(06-19-2017, 06:57 PM)
PhantomThief's Avatar

Originally Posted by Mahonay


Take-Two is being greedy and vindictive because they feel their precious Shark Cards micro-transaction scheme is being encroached on. That's it. There's no real nuance to it.


Kssio_Aug
Member
(06-19-2017, 07:10 PM)
Kssio_Aug's Avatar

Originally Posted by Immortal Technique

Exactly. Which is silly. The end user is not being served.

It's not silly. As relentlessly said in this thread, it's the only meaningful way people can express their concerns and disappointement with Take 2 position.

And once again, the negative (or "not recommended") reviews are legitimate, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. And as some already said as well, GTA is not a small game which it's sucess is bond to reviews. People buy GTA because it's GTA. And on top of all that, GTA V was released in 2013, people double / triple / quadruple dipped the game, this won't make the game goes unoticed for interested buyers.

I think we should be more real here; some of you are trying to create a situation where Rockstar / Take Two is a victim here, and this is absolutely not the case. Many people bought the PC version because of mods, it was no problem to mod the game until now. The mods doesn't affect the MP game. Take 2 / Rockstar sold a huge ammount of this game already and monetizes on those Shark cards, which is their main concern now although they take no action against cheaters and hackes in the online community and are knocking out modders that actually helps them to sell legit copies of their games for those interesed in the SP game (but they don't make so much income from the SP mode anymore, cause they already sold the hell out of it).

Let's stop pretending we're talking about a small company or small game; let's stop pretending people who bought it have no legitimate reason to voice their negative opinion; let's stop pretending Take Two would accept an e-mail from fans and step back cause they care; and let's stop pretending that giving negative reviews will harm the company or destroy GTA reputation in a irreparable way.
Last edited by Kssio_Aug; 06-19-2017 at 07:21 PM.
Budi
Member
(06-19-2017, 07:20 PM)
Budi's Avatar

Originally Posted by PhantomThief

Right. So if you aren't worried about it affecting their bottom line, why do you even care that people are voicing their discontent?

I don't feel bad for Rockstar, I do feel bad for devs under Paradox. And I simply want better and more informative user reviews, I'm not in favor of people using them for hot takes. It's not even only related to these Rockstar and Paradox situations, I've criticized user reviews in other situations too when they are just a reaction to one specific thing and not even necessarily being tied to the actual quality of a game. Like very recently a regional price increase that sucks for sure but doesn't really reflect on the game's quality. I wish for better ways to raise our concerns and dissatisfaction. Maybe that line of thought is too idealistic. And I already covered this in my earlier post anyway, look below. I also shared this http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1392594 as an example I like more when raising concerns and asking for better services and practices to consumers. If you want to see what "corporate apologists" and "fanboys" act like, go there. At no point I have tried to justify or defend what Take2, Rockstar or even Paradox are doing. But this thread is as much about user reviews and their use/intent than it's about the shitty practices.

Originally Posted by Budi

Absolutely, I just wish it wasn't so. We need more reliable tools to help the consumer in making wise purchasing choices for themselves. Complaining about Take2's actions is just, but the way people are doing it is contributing (not the cause) to the problem with user reviews. While this isn't nearly the worst reason to downvote a game, it still completely ignores the game itself. We shouldn't review Skyrim to be 10 because you can mod it fun (some people do), we wouldn't credit the devs for the work that others have done.

Originally Posted by VibratingDonkey

I'd consider the issue of negative Steam reviews due to the game being made worse, making the game seem worse than it is to people who don't care about the game having been made worse in this particular fashion, and/or who don't care to scroll down to find out whether that is the case, to be a minor one. In this case, I should say. Bigger issue for smaller games.

Steam reviews tend to be pretty bad. More of a general problem than anything specific to this situation.

You can filter "most helpful positive all time", but for whatever reason not on the store page, only on the page you get to when clicking the tiny link at the bottom of the review block.
Like half of these are still garbage reviews.

Yeah joke/meme reviews get upvoted very often, even after they added "this review was funny" option.

Originally Posted by Alexander DeLarge

Eh, I never got the impression that negative Crusader Kings/Europa Universalis reviews were only about the regional pricing update. For a lot of people, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Pretty sure that for Obsidian's PoE and Tyranny it is just because of the regional pricing update.
Last edited by Budi; 06-19-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Alexander DeLarge
Member
(06-19-2017, 07:22 PM)
Alexander DeLarge's Avatar
Eh, I never got the impression that negative Crusader Kings/Europa Universalis reviews were only about the regional pricing update. For a lot of people, it was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

Oh wow I didn't realize they were doing it to Paradox games as a whole. Wow.
Last edited by Alexander DeLarge; 06-19-2017 at 08:22 PM.
Immortal Technique
Member
(06-19-2017, 07:49 PM)

Originally Posted by Kssio_Aug

It's not silly. As relentlessly said in this thread, it's the only meaningful way people can express their concerns and disappointement with Take 2 position.

So user reviews should be a referendum on the publisher then.

Originally Posted by Kssio_Aug

I think we should be more real here; some of you are trying to create a situation where Rockstar / Take Two is a victim here, and this is absolutely not the case. Many people bought the PC version because of mods, it was no problem to mod the game until now. The mods doesn't affect the MP game. Take 2 / Rockstar sold a huge ammount of this game already and monetizes on those Shark cards, which is their main concern now although they take no action against cheaters and hackes in the online community and are knocking out modders that actually helps them to sell legit copies of their games for those interesed in the SP game (but they don't make so much income from the SP mode anymore, cause they already sold the hell out of it).

I've had a big mouth in this thread so I'll state for the record I don't play GTA, I couldn't care less about Rockstar. What I care about is user reviews. If they are primarily a platform to campaign for/against publishers, then let's establish that. This issue is not just about Rockstar, it has happened to other games made by other companies and I imagine it will happen again.
Last edited by Immortal Technique; 06-19-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Kssio_Aug
Member
(06-19-2017, 08:00 PM)
Kssio_Aug's Avatar

Originally Posted by Immortal Technique

So user reviews should be a referendum on the publisher then.



I've had a big mouth in this thread so I'll state for the record I don't play GTA, I couldn't care less about Rockstar. What I care about is user reviews. If they are primarily a platform to campaign for/against publishers, then let's establish that. This issue is not just about Rockstar, it has happened to other games made by other companies and I imagine it will happen again.

It's not just a campaing against a publisher. It's a legitimate critic since it is affecting the game in a negative way. People are not negativating because "Take Two is bad", they're negativating because "GTA V mods are now prohibited". You're missing the point. The PC version of GTA V, after that decision, just became worse. They literally knocked down a feature that made people buy the game for.

It doesn't affect the way reviews work or should work, cause the negative reviews are totally legit. And that's what reviews are for, to express both positive AND negative impressions.
Last edited by Kssio_Aug; 06-19-2017 at 08:05 PM.
Immortal Technique
Member
(06-19-2017, 08:09 PM)

Originally Posted by Kssio_Aug

It's not just a campaing against a publisher. It's a legitimate critic since it is affecting the game in a negative way. People are not negativating because "Take Two is bad", they're negativating because "GTA V mods are now prohibited". You're missing the point. The PC version of GTA V, after that decision, just became worse. They literally knocked down a feature that made people buy the game for.

I've yet to read one of those reviews that actually make a case for the (what was it, 97 Metacritic?) game being actually _bad_ now, If anything they admit the game is good. it's all just invective aimed at the publisher.

If a game needed mods to be good, it probably didn't deserve positive reviews in the first place. But of course that''s not the case.
Kssio_Aug
Member
(06-19-2017, 08:11 PM)
Kssio_Aug's Avatar

Originally Posted by Immortal Technique

I've yet to read one of those reviews that actually make a case for the (what was it, 97 Metacritic?) game being actually _bad_ now, If anything they admit the game is good. it's all just invective aimed at the publisher.

If a game needed mods to be good, it probably didn't deserve positive reviews in the first place. But of course that''s not the case.

A good game not always deserves a "positive" / "recommended" review, it dependes on different factors as well. I think I can't be more clear than what I tried to be. If you still don't understand what I meant, I give up. But to me, you're still missing the point.
laxu
Member
(06-19-2017, 08:12 PM)
laxu's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kssio_Aug

It's not just a campaing against a publisher. It's a legitimate critic since it is affecting the game in a negative way. People are not negativating because "Take Two is bad", they're negativating because "GTA V mods are now prohibited". You're missing the point. The PC version of GTA V, after that decision, just became worse. They literally knocked down a feature that made people buy the game for.

I would've bought the game for PS4 ages ago but decided to wait for the PC version because of promise for mods as GTA IV had them.

I loathe the business model they have chosen for GTA V. Holding PC version back several years in the first place, finally releasing it but at a higher price than other games, then putting focus on online upgrades and micropayments while leaving single player gamers with only the base game now that they try to ban mods which greatly extended the life of the game for me.

At least I managed to get my copy from Brazil so I paid a lot less than what they were trying to get. If they want to get me to pay full price, make a better game and don't try to make people double dip.
Durante
Come on down to Durante's drivethru PC port fixes. 15 minutes or less. Yelp: ★★★★★

Fixed Souls, Deadly Premonition, Lightning Returns, Umihara Kawase, Symphonia, Little King's Story, PhD, likes mimosas.
(06-19-2017, 08:12 PM)
Durante's Avatar

Originally Posted by Aaron D.

It's a complex issue, but it seems people would rather just pick a side an lob grenades rather than consider the shades of gray.

I don't see any shades of gray here.

What we have is a massive mega-corporation deciding to completely shit on a part of their fanbase for no other reason than because they think it will help them eke out a sliver more profit off some "whales". It's utterly disgusting.

People, who are clearly in the much weaker position, choosing any and all (legal) methods to voice their discontent in such a situation is something that I will invariably applaud and support.

We are not talking about some independent developer being victimized by an angry mob, we are not talking about an overreaction to some temporary issue, and we are not talking about a violent reprisal to some complex multi-faceted topic. There is only one facet, and it's a huge company fucking over consumers.
Budi
Member
(06-19-2017, 08:25 PM)
Budi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Durante

I don't see any shades of gray here.

What we have is a massive mega-corporation deciding to completely shit on a part of their fanbase for no other reason than because they think it will help them eke out a sliver more profit off some "whales". It's utterly disgusting.

People, who are clearly in the much weaker position, choosing any and all (legal) methods to voice their discontent in such a situation is something that I will invariably applaud and support.

We are not talking about some independent developer being victimized by an angry mob, we are not talking about an overreaction to some temporary issue, and we are not talking about a violent reprisal to some complex multi-faceted topic. There is only one facet, and it's a huge company fucking over consumers.

Do you see any shades of gray with the Paradox situation, it's pretty similar to this except more widely spread. People are showing their frustration towards Paradox by bombing every review for Paradox published games because of the updated regional pricing. As you know these are games by smaller studios than Rockstar who can be axed by almost any moment. And the price definitely doesn't affect the the actual game like removing mod support does. Can't comment if Paradox should be considered as a mega corporation, but I'm pretty sure that the devs aren't in totally secure enviroment. It's not just the big "bad" publisher taking the possible hit in the Paradox situation.
Last edited by Budi; 06-19-2017 at 09:32 PM.
UpDownLeftRight
Member
(06-19-2017, 08:38 PM)
UpDownLeftRight's Avatar
The corporate apologists in this thread is unreal. Massive company advertises these mods on their own pages and uses it to promote their game. Then the parent company decides to shit on the community whilst fucking over the customers and we have people defending it? Yes mods add value to the game. For some, me included, it's literally the only reason to even buy the game on PC.

I've no interest in my copy without mod functionality and a result, I feel pretty fucking robbed by R*/T2.

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

They'll sure care lol.
Fuck mods.

Case and point. Jesus people are dumb.
Last edited by UpDownLeftRight; 06-19-2017 at 09:02 PM.
JetSetRadio
Banned
(06-19-2017, 08:40 PM)
They'll sure care lol.
Fuck mods.
Hektor
Member
(06-19-2017, 08:48 PM)
Hektor's Avatar

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

They'll sure care lol.
Fuck mods.

"fuck free user generated content" what an incredibly stupid thing to say
Kssio_Aug
Member
(06-19-2017, 08:49 PM)
Kssio_Aug's Avatar

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

They'll sure care lol.
Fuck mods.

Fancolors
Member
(06-19-2017, 08:51 PM)
Fancolors's Avatar

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

They'll sure care lol.
Fuck mods.

Your username is the name of a game about a bunch of skaters trying to subvert the authority of a gigantic megacorporation trying to homogenize the city and their culture.

the irony
Dick Justice
Member
(06-19-2017, 08:52 PM)
Dick Justice's Avatar

Originally Posted by Budi

It's called being hyperbolic actually.

And nah, I like to follow and participate in this thread since there's a good discussion going on. But I'll try to skip your responses from now on, thanks for the advice.

No, it's hypothetical. Do try and actually understand what words mean before criticizing someone for using them, thanks.

Originally Posted by Durante

I don't see any shades of gray here.

What we have is a massive mega-corporation deciding to completely shit on a part of their fanbase for no other reason than because they think it will help them eke out a sliver more profit off some "whales". It's utterly disgusting.

People, who are clearly in the much weaker position, choosing any and all (legal) methods to voice their discontent in such a situation is something that I will invariably applaud and support.

We are not talking about some independent developer being victimized by an angry mob, we are not talking about an overreaction to some temporary issue, and we are not talking about a violent reprisal to some complex multi-faceted topic. There is only one facet, and it's a huge company fucking over consumers.

But think of the poor corporation getting hit with negative reviews! How would they ever survive? Oh, and also reviews totally don't matter guys, lol stop wasting your time doing that.
Mahonay
Member
(06-19-2017, 08:53 PM)
Mahonay's Avatar

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

They'll sure care lol.
Fuck mods.

Uhhhh
JetSetRadio
Banned
(06-19-2017, 09:00 PM)
SP mods? awesome

I'm playing GTAO on PS4 and it's clean, fair, no bullshit. There are already ten other mod menu's that affect gtao on pc. It's disgusting, kill it with fire.
Budi
Member
(06-19-2017, 09:02 PM)
Budi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Dick Justice

No, it's hypothetical. Do try and actually understand what words mean before criticizing someone for using them, thanks.

Really? This isn't an obvious and intentional exaggaration?

I bet if a game was to literally self-destruct and destroy your hardware everytime you got a game over, there would be legions of dribbling fanboys saying "B-but how dare people give this a bad review for that! At least the gameplay is good! It's the company's right to piss off their paying customers!"

I guess I need to hone my English skills then. Live and learn.

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

They'll sure care lol.
Fuck mods.

Sure you can say fuck mods if you don't like them. But it's still a common and well liked feature in PC gaming, people have come to expect that for PC games. Suddenly taking it away gets people pissed.
Last edited by Budi; 06-19-2017 at 09:04 PM.
Kssio_Aug
Member
(06-19-2017, 09:02 PM)
Kssio_Aug's Avatar

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

SP mods? awesome

I'm playing GTAO on PS4 and it's clean, fair, no bullshit. There are already ten other mod menu's that affect gtao on pc. It's disgusting, kill it with fire.

You should read the thread and / or the OP though.
Mahonay
Member
(06-19-2017, 09:03 PM)
Mahonay's Avatar

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

SP mods? awesome

I'm playing GTAO on PS4 and it's clean, fair, no bullshit. There are already ten other mod menu's that affect gtao on pc. It's disgusting, kill it with fire.

OpenIV is mod that only uses the SP portion of GTA. On the PC. Which you would have known if you bothered to read anything in this thread.
Last edited by Mahonay; 06-19-2017 at 09:22 PM.
Glasshole
Banned
(06-19-2017, 09:06 PM)

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

SP mods? awesome

I'm playing GTAO on PS4 and it's clean, fair, no bullshit. There are already ten other mod menu's that affect gtao on pc. It's disgusting, kill it with fire.

Read
The
Fucking
Thread
bananafactory
Member
(06-19-2017, 09:09 PM)
bananafactory's Avatar

Originally Posted by BernardoOne

Nah. A game with publisher that try to do this kind of shit deserve negative reviews.

Originally Posted by Daffy Duck

What?

Is this not the clearest and easiest method for pushback?

Originally Posted by Retro Edge

Yeah you're right, where are the times where we ignited some cars to draw attention.
Right?

Originally Posted by ramparter

No its perfect. Having power over evil corps feels good, they are like our bitches now.

Originally Posted by Roshin

People do what they can with the tools available to them.

Yes they are a very visible method of expressing displeasure. However, I am saying that as a metric for buyers to determine a games quality they are awful.

For big releases they are more of a temperature gauge to display how the audience feels about a particular game or developer at a particular point in time, rather than an actual 'review' or evaluation of the game in general. Not just GTAV but many other games suffer from this too.
Alexander DeLarge
Member
(06-19-2017, 09:10 PM)
Alexander DeLarge's Avatar
If you genuinely believe "fuck mods", my question to you is what harm do these mods do to their bottom line? Does Take Two really think they'll benefit from overzealously sending C&D letters and hiring private investigators to intimidate modders who are creating vastly different experiences than what they offer through the base game or GTA:Online? If you go onto FiveM (99.9% role playing servers besides test environments for an upcoming DayZ/Battle Royale/persistent gang warfare mod) and you play it like GTA:Online, you'll be universally hated by the playerbase and you'll banned for deathmatching within 5 minutes. That should tell you something about how different these communities are.

Comparing GTA:Online to FiveM is basically like comparing Half Life 2 Deathmatch to Garry's Mod. FiveM in particular is a response to GTA:Online's inferiority compared to something like Multi Theft Auto (which existed long before GTA even had multiplayer in the first place). Take these mods out of the equation and Take Two loses hundreds of millions of views of exposure across Facebook/Twitter/VK/YouTube and they'd lose their front page spot on Twitch. What do they gain? This is a solution to a non-existent problem.
Tecnniqe
Would die a thousand deaths just for one gun
(06-19-2017, 09:14 PM)
Tecnniqe's Avatar

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

SP mods? awesome

I'm playing GTAO on PS4 and it's clean, fair, no bullshit. There are already ten other mod menu's that affect gtao on pc. It's disgusting, kill it with fire.

Code:

Glorious clean console where you can mod on PS3 and carry it over to PS4 as an example? Which don't even matter as this is about a SP thing.
Dick Justice
Member
(06-19-2017, 09:22 PM)
Dick Justice's Avatar

Originally Posted by Glasshole

Read
The
Fucking
Thread

Fanboys aren't fond of basic reading comprehension.
Mahonay
Member
(06-19-2017, 09:23 PM)
Mahonay's Avatar
That really has to be one of the shit posts of the year. Christ almighty.
BebopMcJigglypuff
Junior Member
(06-19-2017, 09:33 PM)
Well I won't be buying any take 2 products again anytime soon. I'm willing to give up xcom, civ, and rdr... and I LOVE civ games.

I bought a 2nd copy of GTAV just to play with sp mods :(
Mahonay
Member
(06-19-2017, 09:36 PM)
Mahonay's Avatar

Originally Posted by BebopMcJigglypuff

Well I won't be buying any take 2 products again anytime soon. I'm willing to give up xcom, civ, and rdr... and I LOVE civ games.

I bought a 2nd copy of GTAV just to play with sp mods :(

And a lot of people have. It's one of the most aggravating part of this story. The mods are actually selling more copies of their game. Free advertising.

But nah, adding to that mountain of micro-transaction money matters more.
keltickennedy
ah can't conversate
(06-19-2017, 09:40 PM)
keltickennedy's Avatar

Originally Posted by Tecnniqe

Code:

Glorious clean console where you can mod on PS3 and carry it over to PS4 as an example? Which don't even matter as this is about a SP thing.

You can't transfer characters anymore.
Arulan
Member
(06-19-2017, 09:41 PM)
Arulan's Avatar

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

I love my clean GTAO on ps4 (so far, fingers crossed but it wouldn't really matter as we're nearing the end if a map expansion isn't coming). Lastgen is a shithole and I wouldn't touch pc with a 10 foot pole either.

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

They'll sure care lol.
Fuck mods.

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

SP mods? awesome

I'm playing GTAO on PS4 and it's clean, fair, no bullshit. There are already ten other mod menu's that affect gtao on pc. It's disgusting, kill it with fire.

Shitposting.

Originally Posted by Durante

I agree.

Though I'd call it corporate ballwashing to more luridly express what I think of it.

It's sad that this is a regular occurrence.
BernardoOne
Member
(06-19-2017, 09:45 PM)
BernardoOne's Avatar

Originally Posted by JetSetRadio

SP mods? awesome

I'm playing GTAO on PS4 and it's clean, fair, no bullshit. There are already ten other mod menu's that affect gtao on pc. It's disgusting, kill it with fire.

You should go back to school to learn how to read, because this whole motherfucking thing is about offline SP mods.
GTAO is also a pretty fucking terrible online mode and PC thankfully has much better alternatives to it.
joecanada
Member
(06-19-2017, 09:49 PM)
joecanada's Avatar
Reviews should inform you of the state of the game so anything affecting the game should be mentioned
Vibranium
Member
(06-19-2017, 09:55 PM)
Vibranium's Avatar
I will always find it ironic how Dan Houser criticizes and parodies corporate American society in Grand Theft Auto, yet his own company and publisher represent the excess of that culture in the games (they obviously have every right to do everything best for business, I just find it rich). You've got the lawsuits, microtransactions, forced RSC PC client service/super late PC releases, pushing out a long-time employee, etc. Maybe it's time to tone down on the lazy humor when you don't even have a leg to stand on.

At the end of the day, I feel for the modders and wish Take-Two/Rockstar would back down, but knowing these companies they won't.
DaciaJC
Member
(06-19-2017, 10:01 PM)
DaciaJC's Avatar

Originally Posted by Immortal Technique

What are user reviews there for in the first place?

are they
a) to register your satisfaction/dissatisfaction to the publisher

or
b) to help your fellow users?

As several posters have already noted earlier in this thread, there are plenty of people on PC who play GTA games in large part because of community-made mods, and I'm sure they would be grateful to be informed that Take Two have virtually outlawed all modding of their games before deciding to purchase the newest one.

Thread Tools