• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Time Magazine: All-TIME 100 Video Games

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Anyways, what I've played. Not that anybody cares.

1970s

The Oregon Trail
Hunt the Wumpus
Pong
Breakout
Space Invaders
Adventure
Asteroids

1980s

Battlezone
Defender
Pac-Man
Zork
Castle Wolfenstein
Centipede
Donkey Kong
Frogger
Galaga
Tempest
Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord
Joust
Pitfall!
King’s Quest
Lode Runner
M.U.L.E.
Paperboy
Tetris
Super Mario Bros.
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Castlevania
The Legend of Zelda
Metroid
OutRun
Contra
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards (I've played one of these games not sure which one in specific)
Mega Man
NetHack
Punch-Out!!
Tecmo Bowl
Prince of Persia

1990s

Solitaire
Wing Commander
Civilization
Sonic the Hedgehog
Street Fighter II
Dune II: The Building of a Dynasty
Mortal Kombat
Doom
Myst
NBA Jam
Madden NFL 95 (I've played a few of the Genesis Madden games, not sure if it was specifically '95 but they are all pretty similar)
Marathon
SimCity 2000
Chrono Trigger
Quake
Resident Evil
Super Mario 64
Tomb Raider
Final Fantasy VII
Goldeneye 007
Myth: The Fallen Lords
Ultima Online
Final Fantasy Tactics
Grim Fandango
Metal Gear Solid
StarCraft
Thief: The Dark Project
EverQuest
Silent Hill

2000s

Deus Ex (I just bought the bigbox game but stupid ebay seller shipped the wrong product!!)
Diablo II
The Sims
Animal Crossing
Grand Theft Auto III
Halo: Combat Evolved
Ico
Rez
Counter-Strike
Metroid Prime
Splinter Cell (I played a demo of the one with the Amon Tobin soundtrack)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Cave Story
Half-Life 2
Katamari Damacy
World of Warcraft
Guitar Hero
Shadow of the Colossus
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Gears of War
Ōkami
Wii Sports
BioShock
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
Desktop Tower Defense
Portal
Rock Band
Braid
Angry Birds
Demon’s Souls
Flower

2010s

Batman: Arkham City
Mass Effect 3

Looks like I got pretty much most of this list. So what does this say? I don't give a damn about MMOs. The games on this list that I really want to play are Deus Ex (stupid ebay shipping woes), Silent Hill, and I think I owe Wizardry a brief try, even though it's extremely punishing, since it was really one of the first ever RPGs.

Pociask

Subjective list is subjective, but still. What's Paperboy doing on there? Yeah, it's a good game. But is it on anyone's even top 10 NES games list?

Also, list kind of weirdly fluctuates between respect for originators of franchise (Civilization, Wolfenstein) and going for the best version (Sim City 2000, Oblivion). I mean, Civilization is surely the most influential, but if you're going for best, don't you have to say Civ 2 or Civ 4:BTS?

Also also, no one played Mac games, who cares if they ended up making Halo. Macs drool, PC's rule, etc. etc.

PatzCU

Did anyone think Mass Effect 3 was put on there to represent the entire trilogy and not just one game? TV/Film awards often do the same thing.

JohnsonUT

The obvious biggest miss is Ocarina as everyone has said.

But, the list is also so inconsistent. I cannot comprehend a metric that would allow Mega Man over Mega Man 2, but also choose Half-Life 2 over Half-Life.

Bioshock, but no System Shock? No Robotron 2084? All those first in the series entries, when superior sequels exist?

Not to mention some of their explanations. FFT was not deeper than Tactics Ogre, nor was FF7 bolder than FF6.

Nuklear

Banned
No Link to the Past...No Final Fantasy VI...No WWF No Mercy 64(a game that still hasn't been topped by successors)...list invalid!

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone think Mass Effect 3 was put on there to represent the entire trilogy and not just one game? TV/Film awards often do the same thing.

I thought the same but then why wouldn't they have just put the first one instead or even the 2nd given it was the game that, imo, made the biggest improvements of the series?

It's more of an influential list or market changing games. But lack of Pokemon is surprising in that aspect.

Also I will never understand the Pac-Man over Ms. Pac-Man bullshit. No one can seriously argue Ms. is the inferior game.

The more I read this list, the more it feels like TIME is trying to rewrite history. I understand that Western games were dominant this gen, but that was only this gen. They scrubbed that list and pared back the Japanese games heavily, with most of the included Japanese games having a very Western appeal (for example, Punch-Out).

Also: missing the three highest rated games of all time wut.

Missing are:

-Donkey Kong Country 2
-Zelda: Ocarina of Time
-Banjo Kazooie
-Prince of Persia: Sands of time
-Resident Evil 4
-Super Mario Galaxy 1
-Uncharted 2
-Red Dead Redemption

No Super Mario Galaxy makes this least awfully strange. I mean, for what it's worth, the series has the number 1 and 3 spot as all-time best reviewed games.

And starting from there, the issues with this list only grow. Resident Evil 4? Uncharted 2? Ocarina of Time? Sheesh.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Hunt the Wumpus?

I've never actually heard of that game, and I make it my life mission to hear of every game. Is this just some Time writers getting nostalgic over a game of their childhood, or is it actually top 100 of all time material? The wikipedia article on it makes it sound pretty boring.

Omissions aside, everything there seems good enough to be considered for top 100 of all time which is good enough for me. Hunt the Wumpus is the only one that makes me go "huh?"

Im surprised Okami and Shadow of the Colossus made it in. Overall the list is fine. Uncharted, Zelda and Galaxy fans should chill out.

Margalis

Banned
Hunt the Wumpus?

I've never actually heard of that game, and I make it my life mission to hear of every game. Is this just some Time writers getting nostalgic over a game of their childhood, or is it actually top 100 of all time material? The wikipedia article on it makes it sound pretty boring.

I played it on a Texas Instruments computer.

It's one of those games that isn't really good but at the time it came out there weren't many games at all and it was kind of memorable. It's not the kind of game you need to go back and play if you missed out on it.

Wrong Myth though :p

Oh god, I can't believe someone other than me knows and loves that game! I think I still have the Spectrum tape somewhere! It was incredibly detailed and animated, and the way it incorporated mythology into gameplay was amazing (I still remember using Medusa's head to kill a boss decades before Kratos did so).

I do understand you most certainly played a different computer version. In fact, up until nowI didn't even know there was an Amiga one. Huh. It seems to be very different to the 8-bit micros one as well.
Spectrum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xMDlYLEhK0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nh31WKfRuUE
Commodore 64:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ede0NkkMXH0
Amiga:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0-5MzGuRGQ

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
The more I read this list, the more it feels like TIME is trying to rewrite history. I understand that Western games were dominant this gen, but that was only this gen. They scrubbed that list and pared back the Japanese games heavily, with most of the included Japanese games having a very Western appeal (for example, Punch-Out).

Also: missing the three highest rated games of all time wut.

Yup, it's crazy how quickly people seem to forget history and want to rewrite it to fit the dominant zeitgeist. Maybe I lived in a bubble but in the 90's, apart from Doom, Starcraft, Unreal, Mechwarrior, Quake... very few western-based PC games were played or discussed on the schoolyard the way the console titles were. It was all about SF2, MK, OOT, FF7 here, not System Shock 2 or Thief (in fact it was only recently that I've even heard of the Thief series, had no idea it was a "thing") or these other PC games that (while I'm sure are great games) the members of the zeitgeist probably weren't playing those in the 90's - they were probably playing Bubsy or some shit like that :p

Reminds me of Resident Advisor when the whole minimal techno boom happened, they pretty much ignored the previous dominant genres of music (British progressive house, breakbeats, trance) and their influence on dance music history.

krYlon

Subjective list is subjective, but still. What's Paperboy doing on there? Yeah, it's a good game. But is it on anyone's even top 10 NES games list?

Paperboy would not have been picked for the NES version. There were many many versions before that one and on the website they mention a keyboard.

I remember it being quite an iconic game in the mid-80s.

Like others have said the list does seem to be quite a strange mixture of most important/most iconic/best quality etc.
I guess the title is "All-time 100 videogames" so they leave it quite open-ended, but confusing I admit.

params7

Banned
No Resident Evil titles but I saw a Silent Hill in there. Good to see Demon's Souls make it. Overall better list than most others I've seen.

Im surprised Okami and Shadow of the Colossus made it in. Overall the list is fine. Uncharted, Zelda and Galaxy fans should chill out.

if the omission of any one game can invalidate a list, it's Ocarina of Time, without any exaggeration. the only legitimate reason for leaving it off is choosing only one, more recent 3-D Zelda game, and they haven't done that. it doesn't look like they even WOULD do that considering how many games were chosen just because they came first, despite having vastly superior sequels

Cyrano

List feels more like a 100 Games That Sold/Reviewed Well than an actual Top 100. Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time, but I don't think it would be in a greatest games of all time list. There were many better RPGs, even on the SNES, than it.

List feels more like a 100 Games That Sold/Reviewed Well than an actual Top 100. Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time, but I don't think it would be in a greatest games of all time list. There were many better RPGs, even on the SNES, than it.

Heh, I'm the exact opposite of you; Chrono Trigger (even though I loved it) wasn't my favorite SNES RPG at the time; however, I've come to appreciate its timelessness (no pun intended) over the years, and I now suspect it might be the objectively best RPG on the SNES (even though I personally love FF4/6 more).

Top Bottom