• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*UNMARKED SPOILERS ALL BOOKS* Game of Thrones |OT| - Season 7 - Sundays on HBO

Brakke

Banned
Uh oh looks like DrForester missed a season.

Who wants to be the one to tell him that Jon's been dead?

if they had respect for the source material then woudn't dany and viserys have purple eyes

But do the source material's descriptions deserve respect? Do they really?

Daario_Heads.jpg

Brakke

Banned
How wild would it have been if the show had gone ahead and surrounded the Twink King with bodyguards prancing about in rainbow cloaks.

subrock

I had a thought about the dragonglass cache. Dragonglass is obsidian, obsidian comes from volcanos, theres “a mountain of it”

Apologies if this has been brought up

But do the source material's descriptions deserve respect? Do they really?

Daario_Heads.jpg

this is why...dany should've never got with daario. if they kept his look consistent, everybody would know what terrible taste this is. she can do way, waaaay better than him. he wasn't good for her, anyways. he was a bad influence. so fuck him.

tmdorsey

Put me in the group that will be disappointed if Arya kills the soldiers. That would be very un-Stark and you are basically saying Arya is Stoneheart.

mantidor

It's classic, contrived D&D hackiness.

The worst is that they probably think they are sooo clever, "what a moral dilemma!!" Urgh...

Now any outcome would be weird, the obvious thing is Arya killing them, but it would setup the scene as disingenuous, at best, and if she does not kill them her revenge path would be softened and her previous murder rampage of every single Frey cheapened. You can't win with D&D.

tmdorsey

The worst is that they probably think they are sooo clever, "what a moral dilemma!!" Urgh...

Now any outcome would be weird, the obvious thing is Arya killing them, but it would setup the scene as disingenuous, at best, and if she does not kill them her revenge path would be softened and her previous murder rampage of every single Frey cheapened. You can't win with D&D.

I don't think the Frey killings would be cheapened. She didn't witness any Lannister soldiers celebrating the killing of the Starks by cheering and carrying around Grey Wolf's head. Killing the soldiers would also make the scene with them pointless unless the point is to show her as a merciless killer which I don't think she is at this point and harms the character to do so.

KahooTs

The scene was funny. That one just blurting out he wishes he was on his boat with his dad or some shit, cut to Area doing the wide puppy dog eyes, it's a wonder they didn't have her "Dawwwwwwwww" too.

Gigglepoo

D&D don't really get morally grey. If Arya is remembering her humanity, it would have been stronger to show her sparing people who weren't literal angles.

Gin-Shiio

this is why...dany should've never got with daario. if they kept his look consistent, everybody would know what terrible taste this is. she can do way, waaaay better than him. he wasn't good for her, anyways. he was a bad influence. so fuck him.

Dany should have gotten with the original Daario.... he was superior in every way.

He was hotter. Much hotter, alright?

Gigglepoo

Are you guys just fucking with us by using the word angles instead of angels?

I blame autocorrect. But the point stands. So Arya spares people who are pure good? Awesome! What about the other 99% of the population? It's like saying someone is no longer evil because they refused to kill a baby or puppy.

Gigglepoo was looking for the Flatland thread and wandered in here by mistake.
haha
Pretty sure he met angels
The Lannister soldiers weren't literal angels, and I wouldn't describe them as figurative angels either. They are soldiers at war, just not despicable men. And if he meant it would've been better to show Arya sparing despicable men, I'm not sure if I agree. The messages I got from that scene were: not everyone working for the Lannisters are all bad,
and Arya won't kill someone just for affiliating with their enemy.

Kinda like how Jon won't punish the Umber and Karstark heirs, for what actions the heads of their Houses took.

If Arya came across more despicable men, I'd expect her to kill them, coz they'd deserve it,
and she'd know it
Dany should have gotten with the original Daario.... he was superior in every way.

He was hotter. Much hotter, alright?
He was more handsome. I feel weird calling him hot but yeah the first one was more attractive but his personality would've been the same, and he wouldn't have been good for Dany all the same.

Dany needs to be with someone more...brooding. If ya know what I mean ;)
Are you guys just fucking with us by using the word angles instead of angels?
ay man, I was just asking to be sure.

so why are the knights of the vale still hanging around in the north? they did what they were sent there to do.
Royce was present when Jon was proclaimed King in the North. I couldn't actually tell if he pulled out his sword and chanted along with the rest of them, but he kinda got dragged into it.

But that scene though panning over the sky of Winterfell and all those tents? How do they have food for everyone? If I were Jon I'd send them home, I'd say they earned a leave of absence for a while

Speevy

Banned
The show has many parallels if you watch it straight from the beginning. Some characters try to do the right thing, but they're too obtuse to see they're hurting the ones they care about. Stannis ends up burning a cute little girl to get what he wants.

KahooTs

I blame autocorrect. But the point stands. So Arya spares people who are pure good? Awesome! What about the other 99% of the population? It's like saying someone is no longer evil because they refused to kill a baby or puppy.
It's not that hard, they're not any kind of clever or subtle, it just is what it looks like. She thought Lannister soldiers were all bad and fodder for her revenge dreams. Now she's questioning that view. It's the beginning of her turning from living for revenge to normalcy. I say beginning but with the show who knows, it might be the beginning, middle and end.

The book will have her identify Stoneheart as nothing good and nothing she wants to become, and when she destroys Stoneheart that will be part of her turning from revenge. The show didn't do Stoneheart so we are left with D&D having to do the arc themselves, the result is contrived nonsense like the scene in question.

Thankfully the other parts to this arc are Nymeria and Gendry which the show has done, so hopefully they will take from GRRM there and it won't be all terrible.

Gin-Shiio

He was more handsome. I feel weird calling him hot but yeah the first one was more attractive but his personality would've been the same, and he wouldn't have been good for Dany all the same.

Actually, I feel the recasting greatly changed Daario's character. A genuine, flirtatious man turned into something sleazy like Daario. He never struck me as the same character after that, thanks to the new actor's very different approach to acting out the lines. But I get your point, and I don't think he ever was anything but fling material.

Allforce

So Euron's "gift" to Cersei is going to be Tyrion's head according to my wife, who throws out random predictions like this all the time where a good percentage of them end up coming to fruition.

I can see Tyrion's death causing a mild internet uproar. I'm sure EW has the "exclusive" interview with Peter Dinklage ready to go the night the episode airs.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So Euron's "gift" to Cersei is going to be Tyrion's head according to my wife, who throws out random predictions like this all the time where a good percentage of them end up coming to fruition.

I can see Tyrion's death causing a mild internet uproar. I'm sure EW has the "exclusive" interview with Peter Dinklage ready to go the night the episode airs.

Tyrion being taken down by a scrub like TV-Euron would be a big letdown.

Azzanadra

I'd be shocked if any major character (Jon, Arya, Sansa, Bran, Cercei, Jamie, Tyrion, Dany) die this season. Did I forget anyone?

Tyrion and Jaime should die, they have been irrelevant on the show since S4 and S3 respectively, and are only kept around for their popularity.

Jaime especially, like what the fuck have they done with him on the show? His S3 arc was genuinely the best part of that season.

Cvie

Tyrion and Jaime should die, they have been irrelevant on the show since S3 and are only kept around for their popularity.

Jaime especially, like what the fuck have they done with him on the show? His S3 arc was genuinely the best part of that season.

Cersei should be done aswell, she has some dodgy ironborn and a zombie mountain, but has intentionally pissed off everyone else in the seven kingdoms + the Iron Bank.

Tyrion and Jaime should die, they have been irrelevant on the show since S4 and S3 respectively, and are only kept around for their popularity.

I'm not even sure you watch game of thrones.

Moff

I agree on Tyrion, he has been useseless since he killed Tywin in both the show and the books. He is just kept alive as fan service.

Jaime has an important position nobody else fills (opposing cersei while on her side). He could still be relevant this season.

Jibbed

Jaime will be hugely important throughout this season and (if Cersei survives) the next one. It's fairly obvious how their story will play out.

Tyrian though... yeah. I'm inclined to agree that his role in the last few seasons has seemed a bit pointless. Maybe he has a greater role to play when Daenerys starts targeting Lannister forces.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I'd be shocked if any major character (Jon, Arya, Sansa, Bran, Cercei, Jamie, Tyrion, Dany) die this season. Did I forget anyone?

I'll be surprised if Cersei survives to next season. They need to start wrapping some things up this season, and there's no reason she shouldn't get stomped

Aiii

So not worth it
I'll be surprised if Cersei survives to next season. They need to start wrapping some things up this season, and there's no reason she shouldn't get stomped

I agree, this season should end with the Targaryen army conquering King's Landing and taking the throne, so next season can focus on the real fight in the nord and the two Targaryen Monarchs teaming up and uniting the realm.

Jibbed

I agree, this season should end with the Targaryen army conquering King's Landing and taking the throne, so next season can focus on the real fight in the nord and the two Targaryen Monarchs teaming up and uniting the realm.

If you think the fight in the south is going to 'end' before the war in the north begins... I have bad news for you pal.

If Jaime was dead already who would Cersei be talking to?

Dany needs somebody by her side who not only knows Westeros, but who to side with in Westeros.

I believe Jamie and Cersei will both die either this season or next.

When the battle with White Walkers begin, the claims to the south would likely have taken place. Meaning, Cersei dead, and likely Jamie. As they're not part of the White Walker story.

They have been foreshadowing Jamie's death since season 3. Starting with Joffrey making fun of him. It's all about the empty pages in the book: Great Knights of Westeros (I think that's what it's called).

Every season, they show what's added to it about Jamie's accomplishments. It's all about how he killed the mad king, and that's basically it. Jamie hated that.

Bronn asked Jamie how he would die and Jamie said: "In the arms of the woman I love".

I think he will die in glory in battle and his final acts will be added to the book. Someone, probably Cersei will witness what he did.

jett

D-Member

Cersei has outlived all purpose. The Baratheon-Lannister dynasty is effectively dead, needs to be put out to pasture.

Top Bottom