• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2017)

Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Support GAF authors:

aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/ / Tide of Shadows and Other Stories
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World ; Knight Descendent: Knight's Journal 1; Author Page of Brian Lang
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Hop: The Latte Segment
Plasticine Live Undead
UCBooties Trumpocalypse
whatevermort: The Explorer; No Harm Can Come to a Good Man; Long Dark Dusk by James Smythe

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)
History Books

General/Fiction
Recommend me books with pretty prose
I need a book
Essential books for a non-reader
Page turners (suspense)
Recommend me Historical Novels
What are your favorite books?
Recommend Me a Book and I'll Read It
Short stories
Spy & Espionage Fiction
Reading is .. Fun?
Philosophical Fiction
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF
Novels with great world building
Non-western literature
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading
Good Gaming Related Novels
Fiction Novels with Black Main Characters

Sci-fi/Fantasy
Upcoming Scifi and Fantasy TV/Movie Adaptations
Stephen King Books
Recommend a book that feels like Dark Souls
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books
Cyberpunk (Note: Not just book recommendations)
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Literature
Epic Fantasy
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Post-apocalpytic Books
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books
What Sci-Fi Book Should I Read Next?
Book Series as Epic as Star Wars
Cyberpunk Book Recommendations
The Best Star Wars Books
Sci-Fi Focusing on Spaceships
The Bleakest Apocalypse in Fiction

Horror
Vampire Lore
Modern Literary Horror Fiction
Can books be scary?
Horror Fiction
Scary Books
Genuinely Terrifying Horror Fiction
The Scariest Works of Fiction You've Ever Read

Audiobooks
Audiobook recommendations
Help me choose books from Audible
Great audiobooks
What's your favorite audiobook?

Explore
Reddit's Favorite Books Published in 2016
Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
Goodreads 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Reading FAQ
Where to start with Stephen King?

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/
http://fantasy-faction.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (June 2017)
What are you reading? (May 2017)
What are you reading? (April 2017)
What are you reading? (March 2017)
What are you reading? (February 2017)
What are you reading? (January 2017)
What are you reading? (December 2016)
What are you reading? (November 2016)
What are you reading? (October 2016)
What are you reading? (September 2016)
What are you reading? (August 2016)
What are you reading? (July 2016)
What are you reading? (June 2016)
What are you reading? (May 2016)
What are you reading? (April 2016)
What are you reading? (March 2016)
What are you reading? (February 2016)
What are you reading? (January 2016)
What are you reading? (December 2015)
What are you reading? (November 2015)
What are you reading? (October 2015)
What are you reading? (September 2015)
What are you reading? (August 2015)
What are you reading? (July 2015)
What are you reading? (June 2015)
What are you reading? (May 2015)
What are you reading? (April 2015)
What are you reading? (March 2015)
What are you reading? (February 2015)
What are you reading? (January 2015)
What are you reading? (December 2014)
What are you reading? (November 2014)
What are you reading? (October 2014)
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

Ive been rereading the first two books of the Stormlight Archive to get ready for the third book that's coming out in November (please don't delay it). Reaaally looking forward to it, perfect book to read in the fall when its getting darker outside. Ready to get all cozy with that book haha. The hardcover is going to be a bitch to hold in bed but it'll be worth it.

I'll probably finish the two books before November though. I've red Red Rising and really liked it, so when I finish my Stormlight reread I'll probably start on the next two books in that trilogy.

And I still have hope we'll be getting a Winds of Winter release date this year. Going to the bookstore to pick up that book is going to be a semi religious experience.

MilkBeard

Still finishing up Death's Master. Might pick up a P.K. Dick book (most likely Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?) as I've been intending to read one of his books.

pitchfork

Ive been rereading the first two books of the Stormlight Archive to get ready for the third book that's coming out in November (please don't delay it). Reaaally looking forward to it, perfect book to read in the fall when its getting darker outside. Ready to get all cozy with that book haha. The hardcover is going to be a bitch to hold in bed but it'll be worth it.

I'll probably finish the two books before November though. I've red Red Rising and really liked it, so when I finish my Stormlight reread I'll probably start on the next two books in that trilogy.

And I still have hope we'll be getting a Winds of Winter release date this year. Going to the bookstore to pick up that book is going to be a semi religious experience.

I check r/asoiaf every day in hope : (

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Finished this week:

WvbfQYH.jpg

Getúlio (1882-1930) by Lira Neto

Neto’s elegant prose skill is paired with how interesting of a person Getúlio was and how stunted politics could get in the first Brazilian republic. The result is a book that often feels like reading a season of House of Cards with a pinch of ASOIAF (including a certain dose of violence and politically-charged assassinations, as per the gaúcho tradition) – except it was real life in my country. Fascinating stuff and the quality of the vast research conducted by himself and his team shows on every page. I'll start the second one right away.

1C42rXy.jpg

Human Acts by Han Kang

The most brutal, harrowing and depressing novel I read this year so far. It's beautifully written (Deborah Smith had her work cut out for her in the translation with the regionalisms and changes in narrative POV), but it never lets up with how distressing it can be, especially when you consider it's based on real life occurrences. The subject matter is treated with the respect and the weight it requires, showing both the mental and physical suffering those people had to endure. The stories connect to each other little by little, and
the final chapter about the author herself
helps put everything into perspective – Han Kang
ended up so consumed by the event while researching that she started having nightmares about it. She practically needed to excise it from herself

Although this one feels like the more "important" book so to speak, I liked The Vegetarian a nudge better, if only because it made me feel a more varied set of emotions. I'll continue to read anything of hers that gets translated and I'm looking forward to The White Book later this year.

About 3/4 of the way through Uprooted. Gotta admit I liked the first half of this book a lot, while the second half, where it opens up, is feeling either rushed or just not as ... tense ... as the first half. It's almost as if the more the main character learns of her world and the evil reach of the Wood, the less interesting it's becoming.

Also, just a quick "Angmars turns the big 5-0 this weekend" ... I've got a few deals for my own books going on:
-- Ahvarra: The Heart of the World, my first novel, is just $0.99
-- Knight Prudent, the Fifth Entry in the GAF Write a Novella Per Month Challenge, is free. That's right, Book 5, 0 Dollars, since I turn 50.
-- Knight Dependent, the Sixth Entry in the GAF Challenge, just went live yesterday. It's $2.99.

Stasis

Kings of the Wyld.

Not too far in but I'm enjoying the cast and writing so far. And it's being hyped all over the place.

Afrocious

I finally finished The Fifth Season yesterday.

I'm in the minority, but I didn't like the book. Jemisen's prose pushed me away, the main character wasn't anyone I cared about, and the book has no ending with no resolution to anything.

I get that it's the first book of a series, but I don't think I'm a fan of books where the actual story is in the next book.

But this book has a large following and won a Hugo award so I'm down for believing I'm just weird.

I'm kind of all over the place right now.
Dark Tower (VII) by Stephen King - loving it
Jim Butcher's Grave Peril - alright
Red Sister by Mark Lawrence - super loving it

and i do want to read Kings of the Wyld but its on the backburner until I get these three done.

I'm waiting for The Dresden Files to get great (i've heard its one of those "it gets better" series) but the first two books are fun enough. Feels like i'm reading the novelisation of a comic book (not a bad thing).

Unducks

Neo Member
31185918.jpg

Memory, Sorrow & Thorn was my favorite book series growing up, so it's been amazing to step back into that world. I'm really enjoying this so far.

51K9A8D3y0L._SX327_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

This is great so far. It's difficult to adequately summarize, but the characters and dialogue are fantastic, with scenes that are set up with an almost cinematic quality. This could easily become my favorite novel published in 2017.

thomaser

Continuing with Proust's "Swann's Way", the first volume of "In Search of Lost Time". It feels like nothing ever happens in this book, but everything is still so fascinating! Proust could describe the tiniest event or thing and make it wonderful, mysterious, interesting, moving... I think I love this book. Reading it is slow, but also very, very pleasant.

Tumsfull

Neo Member
81AHYi-h3HL.jpg

A friend recommended Brain on Fire to me, and it is fascinating. A visceral and deeply personal look into the experience of a healthy normal woman who slips suddenly into extreme mental illness.

Finally back to reading after a long hiatus. Started a book called Eon. Seems interesting so far and also about Dragons so that's a plus.

Anyone heard of it or read it before?

4Tran

I'm still reading Yue Guan's Brocade Guards. It's great so far and I should be able to finish it this weekend.

Finally back to reading after a long hiatus. Started a book called Eon. Seems interesting so far and also about Dragons so that's a plus.

The only Eon I've read is by Greg Bear and it's a scifi novel. I know it's been awhile but I don't think it had dragons.

I've been bouncing between a few different short story collections lately:

nmgaIpP.jpg

7blPN5U.jpg

RIGOUSF.jpg

They've all been great reads. The last few novels I've read have been really disappointing, and these stories have been a great palette cleanser.

I've also been interested in reading more literary criticism. I'm especially drawn to books that focus on the history of various genres. I have a few titles on my wishlist, but I haven't picked any of them up yet.

Soulfire

I've been working my way through FDR by Jean Edward Smith off and on for the last year, currently making good progress on it. It's pretty crazy how similar that the Democratic Party seems to keep making the same mistakes.

Also reading The Gender Game by Bella Forrest, the woman is a machine. Since 2012 she's published 47 books in a Paranormal Romance series, most if not all are on the Top 100 Amazon Best Seller list for their genre. Now she's making inroads on the SciFi romance genre with 7 books since September, again all of them Top 100 Amazon Best Seller for their genre. Since I write in SciFi romance I'm reading her book to see what all the fuss is about. So far, it's pretty good, though a bit too YA/New Adult for my tastes, I'm not that far in so that might change. Her output is kind of awe inspiring, though, and just going on the little I've read the quality isn't lacking.

hoggert

Reading Water Sleeps by Glen Cook. Eighth book in the Black Company series. So far it's been super good, surprisingly so as while the first book in the series was phenomenal, all the others ranged from decent enough to keep your attention to just plain boring.

HiiiLife

Gonna start Dark Matter. 4 books (almost 5 including Tomie by Junji Ito).

Have read more books in the last couple days than I have since elementary lol.

mu cephei

Finished this week:

1C42rXy.jpg

Human Acts by Han Kang

The most brutal, harrowing and depressing novel I read this year so far. It's beautifully written (Deborah Smith had her work cut out for her in the translation with the regionalisms and changes in narrative POV), but it never lets up with how distressing it can be, especially when you consider it's based on real life occurrences. The subject matter is treated with the respect and the weight it requires, showing both the mental and physical suffering those people had to endure. The stories connect to each other little by little, and
the final chapter about the author herself
helps put everything into perspective – Han Kang
ended up so consumed by the event while researching that she started having nightmares about it. She practically needed to excise it from herself

Although this one feels like the more "important" book so to speak, I liked The Vegetarian a nudge better, if only because it made me feel a more varied set of emotions. I'll continue to read anything of hers that gets translated and I'm looking forward to The White Book later this year.

I thought The Vegetarian was great, so this is getting added to my tbr list, thanks!

Saphirax

Read both Eon and Eona. They're both decent-ish, but the ending of the second book is pure trash. It was an entertaining romp until the ending at least.

Good is disappointed in you.

Is making me realize how much more I know about the bible than I though. Example: Noah having a bunch of kids BEFORE the flood.

Before that I read Zeus grants dumb wishes. I enjoy most of it (Gilgamesh deserves a lot better IMO), and the last chapter is a disappointment.

In_The_Shadow_Of_The_Sword%2C_The_Battle_for_Global_Empire_and_the_End_of_the_Ancient_World.jpeg

Was warned it's less about Islam and more about the circumstances that led up to it. I'm surprised how little primary sources there are about Mohammad and the first 200 years of Islam.

fakefaker

The 'Geisters by David Nickle was dull, dull, dull. It did help me with my insomnia and gave me pleasant dreams too. Next up, The Prey of Gods by Nicky Drayden, which has gotten some great reviews and has a snazzy cover to boot.

y648.png

ashado

Neo Member
Read both Eon and Eona. They're both decent-ish, but the ending of the second book is pure trash. It was an entertaining romp until the ending at least.

I agree about the ending although I don't know if it's for the same reasons as Saphirax lol. It was one of those endings that I couldn't get off my mind for a good week or so. I did enjoy the series overall though.

Sean C

AvANoJ0.jpg

Looking for something a little different to read, I spent a while perusing the shelves in the Fantasy section of the local Indigo, and came away with Naomi Novik's Uprooted. A Song of Ice and Fire aside, my reading list hasn't had much in the way of modern fantasy novels, not because of any aversion to the genre, but just because I've mostly made a point of focusing on other areas.

The plot setup for Uprooted makes it sound like it's a Beauty and the Beast type story, focusing on a peasant girl who lives in a valley where, every ten years, one teenage girl is taken away by the local wizard (who everyone calls "the Dragon", which certainly adds to the overtones) to serve in his tower. Our protagonist Agnieszka is not particularly concerned about this since everyone in town knows that the Dragon will pick her super-awesome friend Kasia for this next. You can guess where this is going. But soon after her being taken to the tower, the novel turns into a witch-in-training narrative, which ends up encompassing medieval court politics and the giant, haunted wood that lies adjacent to the valley where everybody lives.

The world Novik conjures is one where magic exists and has been bureaucratized as part of the feudal system, in this case the Dragon being a sort of feudal lord in this area, subject to the king (who isn't a wizard, he just has wizards working for him). The system of magic is relatively distinctive in presentation. I like that this is a setting with a distinctly Eastern European flavour (our protagonist is named Agnieszka, after all).
The resolution of the plot involving the Wood ends up being fairly stock in terms of the explanation for its origin -- wouldn't ya know, it comes down to humans being assholes and cutting down trees -- but it's well-executed, and unlike a lot of takes on this type of story it doesn't go overboard as eco propaganda.

I have about 90 pages left in Uprooted, so I won't hit the spoilered bit, but I'm enjoying it for the most part. When it opened to the city it lost some of its lustre for me, but it looks like the last 1/4 is setup for a hopefully epic conclusion.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I started J.D. Salinger's 9 Stories on the recomendation that he was one of the best short story writers there ever was. Only read the first, but holy shit the level of quality in it was kind of insane. Already really impressed.

Nuke Soda

The Waste Lands (The Dark Tower #3) by Stephen King- I really liked this book. It is filled with good characters, some good action, and a lot of adventure for Rolland and his posse. There is plenty of crazy situations, creepy villains and weird creatures roaming around the world that moved on. I really don't have much to say other than I really liked this book and have moved on to book #4 Wizard and Glass.

Top Bottom