• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Legends coming to Xbox 360/PS3, all versions releasing in September

?oe?oe

I think this might actually be a bad idea for this game. Rayman Origins was a pretty big craterer so you'd think the extra attention would be nice for a game like this. Waiting until September...I dunno, it might sell really badly.
If the game was delayed 2-3 months maybe. It's the 7 whole months that makes this decision awful. It's like they only just started the porting...

Eusis

oh boy, this is final fantasy 13 all over again
No, it's Dragon Age all over again, except with that added dash of spiting the platform holder (Microsoft probably prefered DA:O hit PC/360 at the same time). And coming something like two weeks before it was supposed to come out and fucking over the dev team that was rushing to meet this deadline.

FSLink

Banned
Looooooooooool. Can't blame anyone but Nintendo.

Not that I disagree that they could have done a better job with launch. But I can't put most of the blame of Nintendo when they've advertised the game on direct, showed Legends as the first Wii U game, first Wii U demo (on eShop and in retail), etc.

jmood88

Like I said, bargain bin at 10 Bucks or used. The only game I was looking forward to before MH. And it's done too.

It's hilarious that Nintendo fans think that buying the game used or waiting until it is severely discounted will do anything but lead to further issues with 3rd parties and Nintendo platforms.

I really can't believe there are NO MORE Wii U games coming out for the entire month. Just look at this release schedule of confirmed games:

02/07 North America Fist of the North Star: Ken's Rage 2
03/05 North America The Amazing Spider-Man: Ultimate Edition
03/18 North America LEGO City Undercover
03/19 North America Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
03/19 North America Need for Speed: Most Wanted - A Criterion Game
03/19 North America The Croods: Prehistoric Party!
03/26 North America The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
04/16 North America Injustice: Gods Among Us
05/21 North America Resident Evil: Revelations
05/24 North America Sniper Elite V2

God damn it. Absolutely nothing until next month.
There's at least one game a month that I would even think about picking up but that is a pretty bad lineup. Hopefully Nintendo goes into panic mode. Panic Nintendo is best Nintendo.

jmood88

Seems like you did your research.

Even if that was true, that's still a lot of sales lost, and a lot of fans angry at Ubisoft who might boycott other, more popular releases. And they're missing out on 7 months of Wii U sales. So your "sales are all that matter" argument doesn't make much sense.

The real reason they're doing this is probably to scrap a lot of the Wii U specific gameplay ideas, and make an Origins 2.0.

I really hope that they are doing that. Origins was a great game so more of that is a good thing.

Pretty funny post I found on Miiverse.

u2lieKz.jpg

Has the whole Miiverse community turned into a collection of political cartoons like this? I might have to put down Fire Emblem and check it out.

jmood88

People were looking forward to a game just weeks from release and are now told they have to wait till September. Is it really so hard to understand why they are annoyed. Or are you saying you've never looked forward to anything ever?

Being disappointed is one thing, all the "I'm never buying a Ubisoft game again" and "I'll wait until this is in the bargain bin" comments are another. I've looked forward to plenty of things that got delayed but my reaction was never to say "fuck it, I won't buy the game anymore" because that doesn't make any sense. The game is still coming out, it's just coming out later. It's really not that big of a deal.

Seems like you did your research.

Even if that was true, that's still a lot of sales lost, and a lot of fans angry at Ubisoft who might boycott other, more popular releases. And they're missing out on 7 months of Wii U sales. So your "sales are all that matter" argument doesn't make much sense.

The real reason they're doing this is probably to scrap a lot of the Wii U specific gameplay ideas, and make an Origins 2.0.

I'm actually really curious to see how much the final game ends up being changed because of this.

Being disappointed is one thing, all the "I'm never buying a Ubisoft game again" and "I'll wait until this is in the bargain bin" comments are another. I've looked forward to plenty of things that got delayed but my reaction was never to say "fuck it, I won't buy the game anymore" because that doesn't make any sense. The game is still coming out, it's just coming out later. It's really not that big of a deal.

it's one thing for a game to be delayed so it can be finished, it's another thing for a finished game to be delayed because they decided to go multiplatform last minute.

DrWong

Holy shit that vid is 17 min long.

lol
Yeah and given the time indicated in the first comments (11mn) and knowing that when I was reading these same comments more than 2 hours ago (and they already were 1 hour old), I let you imagine the shitstorm it is now.

I don't think Ubi anticipated this kind of huge backlash (deserved). Better have to sell very well on the other systems...

Dartastic

Wait a second. The Wii U version of Rayman is now coming out in SEPTEMBER?!?!?!?! WHAT THE FLYING FUCKK AHAFSDKLHJADFSHJKLDFSAJKLHADFSHJKLADFS.

SERIOUSLY. Knowing it was in the launch window was one of the main reasons I bought a Wii U this early. FUCK.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Will the 360/PS3 versions have online co-op? One thing that was missing from Origins.

I'll happily pick this up this holiday, along side GTA5.

jmood88

it's one thing for a game to be delayed so it can be finished, it's another thing for a finished game to be delayed because they decided to go multiplatform last minute.

How does boycotting the game fix that problem? If Wii U games were flying off the shelves, then this wouldn't be an issue but now Nintendo fans, if they actually follow through and don't buy it, would be giving Ubisoft and other third parties yet another excuse to not put games on the system.

Thoraxes

How does boycotting the game fix that problem? If Wii U games were flying off the shelves, then this wouldn't be an issue but now Nintendo fans, if they actually follow through and don't buy it, would be giving Ubisoft and other third parties yet another excuse to not put games on the system.

And whose fault is it that the game is getting delayed into a season that will be jam-packed with other games people planned on getting?

The blame falls straight on them from delaying the game by 7 months (less than one month before release) to port it when one version is near finished.

I could give a shit what platform it's on because I own them all, but the delay is just horrible on them.

Dartastic

I'm really mad, but at the same time you're totally right. I was going to buy this game on Wii U, and I still am. If I boycott the game, I'm just screwing over the development team. Ugh. This really sucks.

vvv Same. Not surprised at the multiplatform thing. Very surprised at the delay.

Xellos

Not surprised that Rayman is going multiplatform, but I am very disappointed that Ubi chose to delay the Wii U version.

Yeah no, boycotting it is counterproductive, raising a shit storm on the other hand is the best thing we can do.

AGITΩ

Well a lot of Wii U owners arent really boycotting as opposed to...just are going to spend their money on the New Marios and Zelda WW coming out around the same time period. As evidenced from a lot of the Miiverse comments as well. I know I mainly wanted it because
1. Its an exclusive, though I have a PS3 as well, it just would've been a nice Wii U only title on my shelf.
2. Coming at a time in which a lot of us are starved for Wii U content. Not to mention Tax Refund time, so money to burn.

I'm really mad, but at the same time you're totally right. I was going to buy this game on Wii U, and I still am. If I boycott the game, I'm just screwing over the development team. Ugh. This really sucks.

It might hurt the dev team in the short term, but hopefully they'll be able to overcome that and find a way to escape from Ubisoft to a publisher which doesn't do everything to sabotage their own game's sales.

I'm waiting for bargin bin not out of spite but because of the environment the game will now launch in. You see, there is no competition for my gaming dollar right now. I want to play the game, honestly. I was really looking forward to it. However, in September the landscape changes considerably. Hell, we may have PS4/Nextbox in the 2-3 months following Sept.

Rayman Legends simply drops lower on the prioriety list, nothing more. Stop projecting.

jmood88

And whose fault is it that the game is getting delayed into a season that will be jam-packed with other games people planned on getting?

The blame falls straight on them from delaying the game by 7 months (less than one month before release) to port it when one version is near finished.

I could give a shit what platform it's on because I own them all, but the delay is just horrible on them.

If someone isn't buying it because they don't have time with other releases, then I understand that but skipping it out of spite doesn't make much sense. I don't really care since I'm not a fan of Nintendo but it's strange that people who want to see the company succeed would do something that would exacerbate an already bad situation. With that being said, I don't really expect many people to actually boycott it but even getting angry enough about it to make that threat seems really strange to me.

jmood88

I'm waiting for bargin bin not out of spite but because of the environment the game will now launch in. You see, there is no competition for my gaming dollar right now. I want to play the game, honestly. I was really looking forward to it. However, in September the landscape changes considerably. Hell, we may have PS4/Nextbox in the 2-3 months following Sept.

Rayman Legends simply drops lower on the prioriety list, nothing more. Stop projecting.

Stop projecting what? You have a valid reason for possibly not getting it, which means that I wasn't talking about you.

H2Yo

That's awesome news! I am totally willing to wait until September, I'm moreso stoked that it will be on 360. There is no chance i'd have ever bought a Wii-u.

Man it feels like Nintendo is lost at sea at the moment. Iwata with a beard, slowly running out of rations, without a sail. Waiting for the Mario rescue plane to fly over so he can shoot his last flare.

Watching this 17-minute stream of Miiverse contempt for Ubisoft, I saw one say (and I paraphrase) "Nintendo isn't censoring much -- I wonder if they're mad too?" LOL, I actually do kind of wonder!

one of your closest partners delays one of the most hyped and shown games for your stumbling platform, you would not be mad?

I would like to be a fly on Iwata's wall for a while now.

The poor guy may have to resign by this time next year :(

Nintendo should never trust 3rd parties. Ubisoft seemed so friendly with them the least they could have done is not delay the Wii U version while the platform was down

If Nintendo can turn this around I fear they may learn a hard lesson from this one

Neiteio

one of your closest partners delays one of the most hyped and shown games for your stumbling platform, you would not be mad?

I would like to be a fly on Iwata's wall for a while now.

The poor guy may have to resign by this time next year :(

Nintendo should never trust 3rd parties. Ubisoft seemed so friendly with them the least they could have done is not delay the Wii U version while the platform was down

If Nintendo can turn this around I fear they may learn a hard lesson from this one
To be fair (and trust me, I'm no ardent supporter of Ubisoft), Ubisoft did take a major gamble on WiiU with ZombiU, and even had a day-and-date WiiU version of Assassin's Creed III at a time when most third parties couldn't be bothered.

To be fair (and trust me, I'm no ardent supporter of Ubisoft), Ubisoft did take a major gamble on WiiU with ZombiU, and even had a day-and-date WiiU version of Assassin's Creed III at a time when most third parties couldn't be bothered.

And I rewarded that by buying them. I hate horror games but paid my $60 for ZombiU and AC3
I could not get myself to spend money on crap like Rabbids Land though

I read Iwata Asks when he went to Ubisoft offices did not expect something like this between them

The more third parties dip out, the more first party Nintendo steps up

Is it a healthy and sustainable business model for my favorite software-producing company? Hell no. But it will bring us a far stronger outing of first party titles than any gen in a long freaking time

Cognitive Dissonance theory workin' all up in my head right now, yo.

evangd007

To anyone who still thinks that Rayman Legends won't be eaten by competition in September:

OK, so assume that the GTA audience doesn't overlap with Rayman that much and GTA won't cannibalize Rayman's sales. You know what is coming out in early October?

pokemon-x-and-y-announcement.gif

Yeah.

Fennekin is going to consume Rayman.

To anyone who still thinks that Rayman Legends won't be eaten by competition in September:

OK, so assume that the GTA audience doesn't overlap with Rayman that much and GTA won't cannibalize Rayman's sales. You know what is coming out in early October?

pokemon-x-and-y-announcement.gif

Yeah.

Fennekin is going to consume Rayman.

You spelled "Chespin" wrong.

Nintendo's long game seems like some kind of convergence between gameplay in the living room and mobile platforms. Their handheld consoles seem to fare much better in support anyway.

Top Bottom