• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG tops 7m sold copies and 600k concurrent users

I'm not sure how a battle royale game can even be called generic yet.

There's been a mod, a side mode in H1Z1 and this game and that's it. Coincidentally the same designed each of those.
PUBG is basically what I was trying to get from DayZ when I bought it way back when. So happy that I can now play a game based around Battle Royale as opposed to trying to bend other games into it.

Shame I'm on console, if my PC were still up to the task I've no doubt I'd be hundreds of hours deep by now. Just got to be patient and wait for that PS4 release.

JDB

Banned
i want to see what the big deal is with this game. what makes it so special that people are going crazy over it? just looks like another generic battle royale game.
It has a nice balance between H1Z1 arcade-y and Arma 3's grounded gameplay while making it incredibly easy to get into matches smoothly.

Ascenion

I'm excited for them, these are great sales but at the same time something about an early access game (read: unfinished) selling 7 Million copies rubs me the wrong way.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
When was the last time we saw this big of a success in this sort of timespan for an independant developer?

kcxiv

Kind of amazing considering in this game you do 60-70 percent looking for items, 20-30 percent running from the ring and 10 percent fighting. I enjoy the game, but to me its just ok. I dont really get the hype. Congratz to Bluehole though, they are making a killing.

I'm excited for them, these are great sales but at the same time something about an early access game (read: unfinished) selling 7 Million copies rubs me the wrong way.

The crazy thing is, even if they released it fully as is now, it would probably sell just as much, if not more. It's in a pretty fantastic state right now (outside of some weird graphical glitches).

Well deserved success. I've not seen any other game that can replicate the tension and adrenaline rush that you experience when it's only you and five other people left alive in a match.

kcxiv

Well deserved success. I've not seen any other game that can replicate the tension and adrenaline rush that you experience when it's only you and five other people left alive in a match.
That goes away, been playing battleroyale type games for a few years now. The adrenaline rush you get is pretty cool, but after a while, its like eh, if i die i die and ill hit play again! lol

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Bought it a enjoy it even after the fight to get the game working.

I just really hope the devs don't run away like the day z devs and so many other early access games

With new weapons, armour, customisation, and hell even a new map with a lot more building and structure variants could improve and already great game

shaneo632

Game runs like ass on my rig. Tried to get a Steam refund but I got drunk and left the game's menu open overnight so they refused to refund it.

deleted

Bought it a enjoy it even after the fight to get the game working.

I just really hope the devs don't run away like the day z devs and so many other early access games

With new weapons, armour, customisation, and hell even a new map with a lot more building and structure variants could improve and already great game

2 New Maps are already in the works. This is developing way faster than any other battle royal game, and the devs won't run now that they even have a Chinese investor that wants to use it to get into the eSports scene.

This game will have some staying power.

SOCOM US Navy SEALs did it 15 years ago :D Except those games were smaller scale (8v8). But your heart rate was guaranteed to go up when you were the last man alive, while the other team had 4 or 5 left for example, slowly killing them one by one. The best thing a man can experience.

Can't wait for PUBG to finally hit PS4. I don't like this thing I'm reading here about loot boxes though. Hope they don't fuck it up.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Holy crap and it didn't even hit consoles yet

Probably never will. It's still early access on PC.

Reminds me of that zombie survival game that was early access on PC that was announced for consoles that just disappeared.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well, you know, strike while the iron is hot...
Can't blame them and, honestly, from what I've seen, doesn't ruin the fun at all. So no harm.

You most definitely can blame them when they specifically said they wouldn't add MT to the game while it was in EA, then did exactly that.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Rocket League at it's still growing!

I just feel weird counting a game that launched on ps+. They gave it away like candy that first month.

Reminds me of that zombie survival game that was early access on PC that was announced for consoles that just disappeared.

So the Spanish studio that are doing the XBOX port will just run away with the money?

2 New Maps are already in the works. This is developing way faster than any other battle royal game, and the devs won't run now that they even have a Chinese investor that wants to use it to get into the eSports scene.

This game will have some staying power.

They need to differetiate those maps heavily. One could be desert-like area - just base it on Syria/ Iran instead of Russian/ Ukrainian countryside. Or something akin to MGSV.

The second one could be full urban sprawl i.e. like The Division.

JDB

Banned
They need to differetiate those maps heavily. One could be desert-like area - just base it on Syria/ Iran instead of Russian/ Ukrainian countryside. Or something akin to MGSV.

They're working on a desert map with a big city in it and a Mediterranean map with a snowy mountain.

Lifeline

I hope they also do different map sizes, would be cool to have a smaller map so combat can be more commonplace.

Wut?

I'm sure MS seeing how successful this game is on PC would jump in to help fund this game, if development stalled.

I hope they also do different map sizes, would be cool to have a smaller map so combat can be more commonplace.

I really don't think a much smaller map would do much for more combat. If you want combat you can drop in the 3 or so 'main' places and find combat right out of the gate. The size really helps the tension in the later circles. Trying to figure out how to position yourself or your crew when the circle is rather far away is an integral part of how great the later stage of the game is.

deleted

That's what they are doing.

One desert map with a big city - according to the screens based in the US and one with a central mountain and snow.

My guess based on nothing is that one will feature a smaller player count so it will be easier to organize esports events. Like 50-60 or so.

Cipherr

What is so special about it?

I don't enjoy playing shooters anymore. But its very fun to watch. And apparently a lot of fun to shooter fans. It's got that vibe of that old zombie game that was around years ago; where they players scavenged deserted cities for supplies weapons and vehicles and fought one another.

Its pretty cool to watch even though I don't understand most of what Im seeing lol. Being fun to play AND watch is huge these days because of streaming. It just vaults the popularity of the game immensely. If Sony can, they need to get a port of this if its not too late, because its going to be fucking massive.

HvySky

I'm currently in a position where I'm unable to play PUBG and I still haven't experienced it for myself. Will be there day one for the PS4 version though, and I plan on pestering all of my console friends to get it as well.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
That's what they are doing.

One desert map with a big city - according to the screens based in the US and one with a central mountain and snow.

Desert map is set in Peru and the snow map is in the adriatic mountains (think balkans).

The upcoming desert map is going to 4 by 4 kilometers big. For reference the current one is 8 by 8.

Last I heard they changed it to also be 8x8.

Top Bottom