• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PUBG tops 7m sold copies and 600k concurrent users

I thought this was only releasing on Xbox One after it was out of early access?

Also, Fortnite's early access.
Don't know about that, but MS' Game Preview category of explicit support for 'early access'/paid alpha titles was cited before as a reason many hit X1 well ahead of a 1.0 release that is when PS4 gets it. Fortnite is weird in that it's charging for alpha access, following the free-to-play 'founder' path that apparently is enough of a difference that it ends up on PS4 early, like temporary console-exclusives, Paragon on PS4 or Smite on X1. Then there's stuff sold as finished console titles with no apparent explanation that they are basically an alpha state game, like 7 Days to Die.

There have been early access titles on PS4. Sony certainly wouldn't say they didn't want PUBG for this reason. How do people "know" that this is why PUBG is only on Xbox initially?
It's the only reasoning given that I recall reading from reporting.

Venfayth

I will be legitimately amazed if this is not simply a launch exclusivity deal. They're clearly doing their best to not talk about PS4 at all, but I figure it has to come to it eventually.

Shubh_C63

Holy Shit.

I thought 2-3 M tops, but this is..literally more than twice my expectations.
Scary to even think what will happen once this hits Console.
Awesome Stuff !!

Keinning

But there are early access titles on PS4 already, like Fortnite and Ark.

sony allow some EA titles as they seem fit

microsoft has an early access program anyone can submit to, it's called "game preview". several other games like slime rancher, everspace, astroneer and now conan exile are being part of it

it's neither rocket science or a big conspiracy to screw PS4 users

Hip Hop

I think OW on PC is huge, more than CS:GO and PUBG.

I doubt that.

not saying you are wrong, but after 5 years of being on the market, much more exposure, esports, and a much cheaper price, I don't see how Overwatch could have surpassed CSGO

I'm also willing to bet that PUBG also has more concurrent players.

Venfayth

I wonder if this will eat into GTA Online?

Seems like there would be a lot of overlap in the crowd, to me.

My first inclination is to say no, that's crazy.

My second inclination is to say PUBG is crazy popular and has attracted crowds of people I never imagined would be interested in a third (and now first) person battle royale shooter, so maybe?

akileese

Not enough apparently, because they needed to add loot crates to their early access game.

1) They've had loot crates since it launched in EA, just not paid crates.
2) The paid crates are limited edition and only around until the 28th. The crates and keys are going towards their gamescom tournament. If they keep pay crates and keys in after the fact (or swap to a full key system), then yeah I'll be more than happy to kill them for it

I'm getting peak COD vibes from this game. Remember in COD when everybody wanted to be the next optic or whatever and the next MLG champion . Now everybody wants to be the next big PUBG player , and streaming makes it really take off.

Hunger Games creators really missed an opportunity.

Strictly speaking I guess they still have one. A PUBG-like game with more melee and primitive weapons is probably already in the works, whether it is using the Hunger Games IP or not.

Keinning

Strictly speaking I guess they still have one. A PUBG-like game with more melee and primitive weapons is probably already in the works, whether it is using the Hunger Games IP or not.

I might be wrong about that but ain't The Culling more focused on melee weapons and such?

This game has definitely taken over in my circle of friends. I've reconnected from friends that I have only ever played on Xbox Live with, and now we're all building better PCs so we can have the best experience with the game.

Not only that, but I'm finding myself re-buying games I had on Xbox One just so I can experience them on PC. I think my time with console gaming is coming to an end, all thanks to PUBG lol

Swarna

I doubt that.

not saying you are wrong, but after 5 years of being on the market, much more exposure, esports, and a much cheaper price, I don't see how Overwatch could have surpassed CSGO

I'm also willing to bet that PUBG also has more concurrent players.

OW probably has more concurrent players. At the very least, it's in the same ballpark. Blizzard games on PC are pretty big and that's probably their most populated one after Hearthstone. Blizzard has 42 mill monthly active users (Nov. 2016) across far fewer games than Steam's 67 million figure (Aug. 2017) across its entire library.

Fuck MS and their launch exclusive BS I want to play this on PS4 day 1

This doesn't even make sense. You're not playing it on Day 1 anyway, the game launched like 5 months ago. What difference does it make that you're playing it at a later date when you've already missed out this long?

This is an indie developer, not a AAA dev that has 1000 employees in their service that can afford to develop for multiple systems simultaneously.

Oh and Jim Ryan said indies ain't shit.

I can't wait to pick this up on Xbox. I have a feeling this may be my new shooter addiction based off the videos I have watched. I need to get it into my hands to really get a feel for it though.

xviper

so devs now don't need to finish their games to sell them and they don't need to advertise them because those who buy their product do all the advertising, Early access earns you more money with less effort, thanks PC gamers, Steam is the future of gaming, a future filled with unfinished shit and very low quality games

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
so devs now don't need to finish their games to sell them and they don't need to advertise them because those who buy their product do all the advertising, Early access earns you more money with less effort, thanks PC gamers, Steam is the future of gaming, a future filled with unfinished shit and very low quality games

Watch out for this hot take!

Mudcrab

Fun games sell well on PC, news at 11.

I have no doubt this will hit 10 million by the end of the year.

Hell, if it continues it's current pace of 1 million every 2 weeks, it'll be 12 million by November.

Ever

Banned
How are 7 million people allowed to be scammed by money grubbing knockoffs of games that aren't even fun? Shit seriously looks like a Chinese rip.

Like, loot creates in an early access game? Come on now. Someone needs to call the FCC or something because this is getting ridiculous.

EDIT: Oh wait didn't Bluehole get bought by Tencent?

:thinking:

Trace

Banned

Fuck off with this. PUBG is fantastic and wouldn't exist in the current console AAA publishing situation.

How are 7 million people allowed to be scammed by money grubbing knockoffs of games that aren't even fun? Shit seriously looks like a Chinese rip.

Like, loot creates in an early access game? Come on now. Someone needs to call the FCC or something because this is getting ridiculous.

I expected you to end with a funny punchline or something to show it was sarcasm but no this is just a garbage post. And no, Bluehole has taken no money from Tencent, they said so yesterday.

Magwik

Banned

You know
Maybe just maybe
7 million people find it fun and a good game and disagree with your shitty hot take

AAA games are just so polished right? The only tactical AAA shooter I can think of is so buggy that they had to delay and cancel a map just to focus on bug fixes (Rainbow Six Siege)

Also are you really complaining that it didn't have a marketing budget

Vyrance

I don't have the game but I probably spend a couple hours a day watching streamers play it. I'll pick it up eventually

Aters

You need to shut up already.

Asmodai48

Game doesn't have to be finished to beat out the current competition of "AAA" games.

Venfayth

the game is fun, i have 300 hours in it. loot crates are kinda lame for sure, but nothing wrong with them either, they're only cosmetic items, and they're funding both the game and the tournaments that they run, no big deal. there are way more predatory monetization strategies out there that the FCC would need to be concerned about first.

Chinese rip off of what?

There is literally no other game like this besides previous works by Playerunknown.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Yikes.

Where did the game touch you?

Top Bottom