• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken IOS / Android announcement trailer

Meh. At least it looks and performs good? Which hardware?
IPhone 6 plus, you'll "play" one match and uninstall, there is no buttons / controller here, just tap left side of the screen for random pre-configured combos, and don't forget to buy loot boxes for more chances of more pre-configured combo cards or fighters! might as well watch a YouTube video.

Just downloaded this game from the Canadian store, avoid this crap at all cost, the only thing good about the game are the graphics, this is a heavily dumbed down version of Tekken with barely any gameplay, just tapping the screen for pre-configured combos and loot boxes for the chance of new cards with new attributes and new fighters.
Really disappointed, this could have been a nice little pocket fighter, but they went the other way completely.

I believe it. It's my biggest problem with mobile gaming.

IPhone 6 plus, you'll "play" one match and uninstall, there is no buttons / controller here, just tap left side of the screen for random pre-configured combos, and don't forget to buy loot boxes for more chances of more pre-configured combo cards or fighters! might as well watch a YouTube video.

Haha holy shit. Mobile games have come a long way? Have they fuck!

vg260

Just downloaded this game from the Canadian store, avoid this crap at all cost, the only thing good about the game are the graphics, this is a heavily dumbed down version of Tekken with barely any gameplay, just tapping the screen for pre-configured combos and loot boxes for the chance of new cards with new attributes and new fighters.
Really disappointed, this could have been a nice little pocket fighter, but they went the other way completely.

I'm surprised anyone would expect anything else out of this.

Dingotech

If not and talking about mobile in general, you need to play games built with touch and mobile in mind, they feel natural and some feel better than their PC/Console counterpart. It's all about how you do it, the platform itself is fine.

That's a limited set of games that feel better IMO.

But each to their own.

blackjon24

I'm surprised anyone would expect anything else out of this.

Aha I almost want to cancel my download... the recent capcom port of sf4 champion edition on iOS isn't to bad besides the frame rate and graphics it's a full on street fighter 4 game

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I played the card game before this and it didn't keep my interest for very long. Even Soul Calibur is out on iOS. I don't see why we couldn't have gotten a full release or even a port of Tekken 3 for iOS.

I own most of SNK's fighters, SF2, MVC2 (no longer listed, but still plays 32-bit title), and even though movements made with my thumbs are maybe 40% accurate to what I actually want to pull off. I still think they could have made this game a full fledge Tekken.

Granted I'm going by early impressions here that say this is just pre made combos and moves.

I didn't mind Contest of Champions or Injustice, but I wish they'd just give you the option to fight with the console/arcade controls. Using SP buttons isn't bad if you can change the options to have every single button on your phone/tablet.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
Aha I almost want to cancel my download... the recent capcom port of sf4 champion edition on iOS isn't to bad besides the frame rate and graphics it's a full on street fighter 4 game

Last time I checked, it was sprite based. Is still the case after the update?

It looks like a direct port of a ps3 tekken.

Eh, characters look low poly to me. But maybe I'm misremembering.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Is there any decent fighter on iOS? sometimes I play Samsho 2 on my commute but I admit that port is not that good either.

Made for iOS
Contest of Champions
Injustice 2
WWE Immortals
Skull Girls
Street Fighter IV

Ports (there's more listed than this, but these are what I play)
KOF98
Garou Mark of the Wolves
Street Fighter II Collection

I also have Samurai Showdown II. I put all the buttons in a horizontal line in the bottom right hand corner.

I have a few that aren't around anymore:
MK3 Ultimate
MvC2

Dang, it bums me out hearing that this is just a "tap the screen and get loot boxes" type of deal.

As for people asking "what did you expect?" ...please see Soul Calibur mobile, KoF13 mobile, or the SF4 mobile games. They all feature traditional fighting gameplay. Sure, they might have simplified controls and gimped graphics, but they prove that fighters can be ported to mobile. Soul Calibur's an especially good example, being a 3D Namco fighter with four buttons.

Really disappointed by this.

Edit: the post above me lists several more examples. Tekken has no excuse!

I find it funny that people are rushing to say it doesn't look as good as a Switch game when this game is probably being rendered at a resolution larger than most Switch games have while on portable mode.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I find it funny that people are rushing to say it doesn't look as good as a Switch game when this game is probably being rendered at a resolution larger than most Switch games have while on portable mode.

That's not a given. Most 3D mobile games render a sub-native res.

Please tell me this isn't another shitty fucking Injustice clone. SFIV, SFxT, and KoFXIII all work great on phones and are way more fun than that trash. Especially IJ2.

also how will this even control? a game like Tekken requires precise controls that touch screens can't deliver.
It looks like a 2D fighter. So this clearly isn't "a game like Tekken".

I'm surprised they even remember that Asuka has that outfit...

And now I'm mad it's not in T7
I'm more surprised they put Asuka in the game without using Lili to destroy any semblance of character Asuka still has. The fact that used the old Aikido outfit is even more surprising because you can't sell that for a Yuri cashcow.

Oh, so it's worse than an Injustice clone? That's great.

8byte

Banned

Certainly you didn't expect a traditional Tekken experience out of a game releasing on platforms that only have touch as a native control input device?

C'mon. Everyone should have known from the jump it would be exceptionally simple.

Is there any decent fighter on iOS? sometimes I play Samsho 2 on my commute but I admit that port is not that good either.
SFIV Champion Edition, SFxT, SFII, and any KoF port (especially XIII) are all great. They are the full games just adapted to mobile controls in a way that actually feels good.

SoulCalibur is alright. If you don't/can't play the console games at a semi-competitive level, you won't realize much wrong with this mobile port, but if you do use more intricate controls in the full game, know that it's hard to get many inputs without a controller.

Certainly you didn't expect a traditional Tekken experience out of a game releasing on platforms that only have touch as a native control input device?

C'mon. Everyone should have known from the jump it would be exceptionally simple.

I didn't expect a Tekken 7 perfect port, but I DID expect a fighting game, am I at fault for expecting a fighting game? for expecting buttons and controlling my character instead of "press this side of the screen and let's see what comes out"

How dare I !!!!!!!!

This is such a silly, dated thought. Several fighting games have been released on mobile with their original control schemes, especially 4-button fighters.

Yes, you would never be able to play it as well as you play at home on your pad or arcade stick (especially with Tekken's emphasis on movement), but a mobile Tekken with 4 touch buttons is absolutely possible. They just chose to not do it.

RRockman

Banned
This is such a silly, dated thought. Several fighting games have been released on mobile with their original control schemes, especially 4-button fighters.

Yes, you would never be able to play it as well as you play at home on your pad or arcade stick (especially with Tekken's emphasis on movement), but a mobile Tekken with 4 touch buttons is absolutely possible. They just chose to not do it.

It also doesn't excuse having the original control set for anyone that has any one of the Myriad Bluetooth controllers. I was worried since I didn't see anyone moving in 3d space -dashing or evading- that this might be the case.

It also doesn't excuse having the original control set for anyone that has any one of the Myriad Bluetooth controllers. I was worried since I didn't see anyone moving in 3d space -dashing or evading- that this might be the case.

Yeah, that was a dead giveaway :/ even before reading impressions from the Canadian store.

RM8

Welp, I actually got pretty excited until I learned it's not really mobile Tekken :(

Tekken Advance played pretty freaking well for a 2-button take on Tekken, they shoudl have gone with something like that...

Top Bottom