• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RAGE |OT| "It's done when it's done"

Fjordson

Couple hours into the 360 version. Shit is gorgeous. I sort of wish the world was more open, but I'm probably in the minority there. The actual combat sections are pretty directed as is. Still very fun, though.

angular graphics said:
The megatextures haven't loaded properly in this.

Vistas should look like this:

which is still utter crap, but a little "better".
It just looks so goddamn blurry.

PC games shouldn't look like that in 2011. No excuse. None.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Fjordson said:
Couple hours into the 360 version. Shit is gorgeous. I sort of wish the world was more open, but I'm probably in the minority there. The actual combat sections are pretty directed as is. Still very fun, though.
are there any kind of motion blur and HDR in console version?

Arcipello

angular graphics said:
The megatextures haven't loaded properly in this.

It should look like this:

Z2DsB.jpg

which is still utter crap, but a little "better".

edit: replaced image

that cant be fully loaded either...ive seen videos of that area and it looked WAY better!

Arcipello said:
that cant be fully loaded either...ive seen videos of that area and it looked WAY better!
Videos can be misleading if they're compressed etc.

Not saying you're wrong, but I only trust screenshots.

Edit: Above images look better. Very inconsistent, then?

Nostalgia~4ever said:
http://i.imgur.com/NbyRD.jpg[IMG]
(not my pic)
So the game autodetects all Hardware, and it seems that the configurator thinks that some cards have 0 MB video memory, and currently there are not way to manually override this. lol.[/QUOTE]

Fckin' wow!

That's pretty bad. Sure, nothin a PC patch can't fix, but still. I find my patience for this sort of thing waining more and more everyday. Especially with such high profile releases, hence my Deus Ex:HR stuttering thread ....which still isn't fixed for my HW btw, so my PC version is essentially useless.

StuBurns

Banned
They compress based on what you see more often if I understand it correctly, i.e. town should look better than anywhere else.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Yerolo said:
Just downloaded and watched the 720p 60fps vids and omg, looks beautiful. Didnt notice any popin textures at all (compared to some vids Ive seen of the pc version)
The PC version has much faster head rotation (since it's played with a mouse) and will I guess need to load textures faster due to that.

angular graphics said:
We knew this from the trailers, characters look good, the environment often looks very bad.

I posted some screenshots from the trailers a few months ago... http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=440026&page=12
I always keep hope that the final build will have one last coat of sex.

It's just annoying because I want to play this game and it's not a 100% ugly game, but I know whenever I catch one of those hideous textures it will just depress me. I mean, for fucks sake, this is id!

Knox

I'm really getting into it so far. It's just what I needed after sneaking around in Deus Ex for the past week. The art style is really good, which is something I wouldn't normally say about an id game. The world is gorgeous, obviously, but the character designs stand out to me as well. The bit of exaggeration keeps them out of the uncanny valley while still allowing them to go all out graphically. Combat is fast paced and feels great. The foundation is there hopefully it opens up well (I'm not too far in). I like the upgrade stuff you can do so far. Great way to allow you to customize towards your play style without having a whole level up/skill tree system. Items in general are kept pretty simple and I can't see having to really manage your inventory much. The crafting system is appropriately simple and a pretty nice way to incorporate Fallout 3/Oblivion style scavenging into an FPS.

GTX 560ti and I had bad tearing until I forced vsync. Still have the weird texture pop in but it's not too terrible, plus I think I'm getting used to it.

taoofjord

Thunderbear said:
The current fad for the "in" crowd is Demon Souls. If it's a blockbuster experience, then it's crap. Now all of the sudden games need to be insanely hard (and cheap) to be a good game.

Gamespot: Demon Souls 9.5
Rage: 8.0

That's my impression of what's going on. It's going to be really interesting what happens to COD MW3 and Uncharted 3. I'll enjoy U3 no matter what (as I will Rage based on what I've played so far) but I feel the games media is a little club that all are influenced by peer pressure.

As long as the games I like keep getting made, I don't really care. I'm happy that lots of people love Demon Souls, it really does have some innovative parts about it too (I just think the praise is a bit over the top).

Nothing is "going on"... don't be ridiculous. Rage just isn't that great of a game. And there's no reason to criticize Demon's Souls in this thread either.

IoCaster

Gold Member
Foliorum Viridum said:
Also, where are the screenshots? I just checked the high res thread and none in there either.

Here are a couple (1920x1080) I took with the Fraps overlay showing the frame rate.

rage2.png

rage3.png

IoCaster said:
Here are a couple (1920x1080) I took with the Fraps overlay showing the frame rate.

http://www.iocaster.com/s
[IMG]http://www.iocaster.com/screeng[IMG][/QUOTE]
Thanks!

See, although this still isn't a super looking game, it shows that with a bit more polish RAGE really could be one hell of a looker.

Someone hack id and leak the uncompressed textures!

Knox said:
I'm really getting into it so far. It's just what I needed after sneaking around in Deus Ex for the past week. The art style is really good, which is something I wouldn't normally say about an id game. The world is gorgeous, obviously, but the character designs stand out to me as well. The bit of exaggeration keeps them out of the uncanny valley while still allowing them to go all out graphically.

Bolded for truth

Looks keyframed but I really do love it as there's an obvious amount of love and detail put into the animations. Definitely champions the idea that not everything has to move to motion capture.

Also, Doom3 had a fantastic artistic design!
I can agree with their games before that though. QuakeII has probably aged the worst, but even it has it's nostalgic factor that when QuakeIV came around, I was happy to see again.

I think I might wait for a sale on this. Or at least further impressions from people once everyone is further in.

I still have the urge to test Lord Carmack's latest work, but not as much as before. Hope id put some thought into that super quality PC pack they mentioned as well. Looks like it would make a big difference.

taoofjord

Don't freak out over screenshots people, the graphics are gorgeous in motion. The textures up close can be hit or (very) miss but you typically won't notice that as it's a fast paced action game and megatextures work well for it. Perhaps we'll get a higher-res texture patch in the future but don't worry about it, the game is VERY pretty. And that's coming from someone that doesn't like the game all that much.

StuBurns

Banned
What's going on with the plant and the tire in that first one? It looks like objects that are clipping becoming translucent?

IoCaster

Gold Member
StuBurns said:
What's going on with the plant and the tire in that first one? It looks like objects that are clipping becoming translucent?

I didn't notice it when I took the shot, but probably just clip.

Solo

I'm catching up on the many pages that occurred since I left last night. Im curently reading all the ATI card problems....how is nVidia card performance?

pottuvoi

Banned
Foliorum Viridum said:
Hahaha, it's like tiles. What the fuck?
It's how the megatexturing works, every texture is divided to 128x128 tiles.
For some reason in those images the tiles do not share proper texels on edges, could be because of an AA implementation.

pottuvoi said:
It's how the megatexturing works, every texture is divided to 128x128 tiles.
For some reason in those images the tiles do not share proper texels on edges, could be because of an AA implementation.
I see.

Seems like the game is a technical mess at the moment. I'm certainly not buying it yet.

Nekuru

Player briefly this morning. My 5870 is struggling keeping a framerate above 20fps at 1200. Don't know if I miss something but is there a way to adjust the graphics aside from just resolution and aliasing?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
CVG 360/PS3 comparison video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI3FuL27mho

Watch in HD. Looking at the grid and text at 1:44, PS3 version looks blurrier.

I do wonder tho if the blurriness of the PS3 version comes from video cable used for recording. If they are using a retail PS3, they are surely capturing PS3 footage via Component due to HDCP blocking HDMI signal. On the other hand, retail Xbox 360s don't have HDCP over HDMI. So we might be seeing HDMI vs Component here.

edit - also, wtf at no shaking in PS3 version.

Derrick01

Banned
Solo said:
I'm catching up on the many pages that occurred since I left last night. Im curently reading all the ATI card problems....how is nVidia card performance?

It's apparently fine on nvidia cards, though some do have some noticeable texture pop in. Make sure to use the beta drivers.

I still have to wait a couple of hours to pick mine up, not liking some of the textures I'm seeing here in this thread. It wasn't a good idea to give us the same textures as the consoles.

Kem0sabe

Its funny how people were all excited when "bethesda" (zenimax) bought id, hoping for elder scrolls games with rage graphics.

After the release of rage, its the other way around, people hoping for id games with skyrim graphics :)

Postman

Banned
The game is quite good but the PC version is soooo buggy. Constant loading freezes make it just about unplayable. The game doesn't seem to cache textures AT ALL. I have 8 gigs of ram i should not see constant texture loading when spinning in place.

When the pc version gets fixed I could easily see giving it a 9. The game play and ai are top notch, but for now it is a 5 for being so buggy.

Kem0sabe said:
Its funny how people were all excited when "bethesda" (zenimax) bought id, hoping for elder scrolls games with rage graphics.

After the release of rage, its the other way around, people hoping for id games with skyrim graphics :)
Nooo, Skyrim and elder Scroll games have horrible art direction. But i guess you mean texture quality?

Solo

So based on what I've read so far, I think my rig will be one of the lucky ones (i5 2500, 8GB ram, GTX570) to be able to run it mostly problem free. But people are suggesting the use of the beta drivers? I tried those for The Witcher 2 and my performance was VERY poor, so I went back to the latest official drivers and got great performance. Now the opposite is true for Rage?

Top Bottom