• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn |OT2| Red Head Redemption

I've been atop this high mountain for more than 20mins watching and admiring the different weather transitions, and I'm still in disbelief on how GG created this game.

This is the new benchmark. Visual perfection. A technical masterpiece.

JoeNut

So last night i was like "i'm gonna take on a thunderjaw" and after a fairly cheesy fight where i stood way back and blew off all it's weapons, and then used a million fire arrows. i managed to beat it.

I then carried on with the hunters lodge mission and guess what the next thing i need to kill is...a fucking thunderjaw!!

Looks like i'll be going back to get another.

well, you can probably finish the game alone with the Hunter Bow if you want

has anyone done this sort of play through? i presume there's been timed runs and things, have people tried playing through with just one weapon or whatever?

X-Frame

So I Platinum'ed this game months ago, but never received any email from Sony. And I think it is supposed to come with a Platinum exclusive PSN theme?

How can I follow up on this? Do I need to contact Sony?

shiba5

So I Platinum'ed this game months ago, but never received any email from Sony. And I think it is supposed to come with a Platinum exclusive PSN theme?

How can I follow up on this? Do I need to contact Sony?

I contacted them via chat and they sent me an email asking for a screenshot of my platinum trophy. They sent me the theme code the next day.
Make sure you have Receive Sony Promotions checked under Notifications.

So I have a question I'm hoping you guys can answer. I got this on launch and had to put it down. I've survived the trial or proving or whatever it's called at the begining of the game and fought that giant ass machine at the gate before it sent me off into the world. The problem is I don't remember a thing about the plot. Can anybody fill me in on the plot so I can pick up where I left off? Every synopsis I can find doesn't cover the begining and is riddled with spoilers and I would like to avoid spoilers if possible.

Thanks!

shiba5

So I have a question I'm hoping you guys can answer. I got this on launch and had to put it down. I've survived the trial or proving or whatever it's called at the begining of the game and fought that giant ass machine at the gate before it sent me off into the world. The problem is I don't remember a thing about the plot. Can anybody fill me in on the plot so I can pick up where I left off? Every synopsis I can find doesn't cover the begining and is riddled with spoilers and I would like to avoid spoilers if possible.

Thanks!

All you know is that you were cast out at birth. You train to win the proving so you can force the Matriarchs to tell you who your mother is. Almost everyone is killed at the proving by outsiders. You kill them and take one of their Focuses, but another one sneaks up and tries to slit your throat. Rost saves you and dies. You wake up inside All Mother Mountain, find the strange focus, and see the order to kill you because you look like another woman who is an almost perfect genetic match. Matriarch Teersa leads you to a giant door and says, "That's where you came from." The door won't open because the data is corrupted. Teersa makes you a Seeker so you can find the killers and find out why they are after you. You go out into the world.

All you know is that you were cast out at birth. You train to win the proving so you can force the Matriarchs to tell you who your mother is. Almost everyone is killed at the proving by outsiders. You kill them and take one of their Focuses, but another one sneaks up and tries to slit your throat. Rost saves you and dies. You wake up inside All Mother Mountain, find the strange focus, and see the order to kill you because you look like another woman who is an almost perfect genetic match. Matriarch Teersa leads you to a giant door and says, "That's where you came from." The door won't open because the data is corrupted. Teersa makes you a Seeker so you can find the killers and find out why they are after you. You go out into the world.

Thank you very very much. :)

Ralemont

not me
No problem. The story is really good. The idea for the robot dinosaurs came before anything else so they asked John Gonzales to come up with a believable reason for why they existed - and he somehow did it.

Yeah this story is way better than it has any right to be.

Everything's wrapped up for me except the final battle now. It's such a warm feeling knowing getting that last story trophy will unlock the platinum. :)

Been an awesome ride. Definitely GOTY so far.

So what do all the mods do? Like i sear tear damage, handling, etc. What does all that mean as far as the kind of damage output I have?

shiba5

So what do all the mods do? Like i sear tear damage, handling, etc. What does all that mean as far as the kind of damage output I have?

Tear doesn't do much damage. It just rips components off - like those TJaw guns. Don't put them on the Ropecaster. They make the ropes not hold. I have a Sharpshot bow with all tear mods for when I just want to watch pieces fly off.
Handling mods make weapons fire faster. I use them mostly on the Ropecaster and the Sharpshot bow.
Damage mods are self explanatory.

X-Frame

Here is an informative post about how Tear works in this game. I learned quite a bit from this plus reading the OP's comments below his post.

http://reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/6oc83g

I'm going to be taking all Tear off my Sharpshot Bow now and go straight Damage + Handling secondary.

Hunter Bow will have Damage, Fire, Fire, Tear

Ropecaster full Handling

Blast Sling full Damage

Tripcaster full Damage

War Bow primarily focus on Freeze, with Corruption secondary and Shock least important

Ralemont

not me
Here is an informative post about how Tear works in this game. I learned quite a bit from this plus reading the OP's comments below his post.

http://reddit.com/r/horizon/comments/6oc83g

I'm going to be taking all Tear off my Sharpshot Bow now and go straight Damage + Handling secondary.

Hunter Bow will have Damage, Fire, Fire, Tear

Ropecaster full Handling

Blast Sling full Damage

Tripcaster full Damage

War Bow primarily focus on Freeze, with Corruption secondary and Shock least important

Shit

I spent the whole game with full Tear modded Sharpshot bow and it doesn't have any affect on Tear arrows...

X-Frame

Shit

I spent the whole game with full Tear modded Sharpshot bow and it doesn't have any affect on Tear arrows...

Seriously, same here. I don't know if that is a bug or something, but it is strange that they don't work the same as the other ammo types.

Can someone remind me of where she got her magic stick and why it can reprogram shit?

She defeats a Corruptor early on, takes the component that makes it able to override other machines and attaches it to her spear. The emitter thing interfaces with her Focus, hence how she controls it.

ty_hot

Will the expansion be sold as a stand alone as well? I bought the game on release day but sold it after finishing it.

Btw, I started to get better in the game when I had better tear weapons lol. My first strategy was always tear them apart and then inflict damage/fire to kill them. Love the combat in this game.

Davide

I'm getting error Np-34853-3 "will be logged out of the PS4 because an error has occurred" trying to open this game with my account, I've reinstalled the game and rebuilt the database and it hasn't fixed it. Anyone else had this?

Holy shit. I just fought a thunder jaw. Holy balls. Took forever. But it was exhilarating.

So what mods should I put on each bow? It's obvious tear is important but those tear arrows are pretty expensive to craft. So I should load up tear on one now right so I don't have to depend on those arrows right?

JoeNut

Holy shit. I just fought a thunder jaw. Holy balls. Took forever. But it was exhilarating.

So what mods should I put on each bow? It's obvious tear is important but those tear arrows are pretty expensive to craft. So I should load up tear on one now right so I don't have to depend on those arrows right?

As above do not put tear mods on the tear arrow bow.

personally i have increased shock on the war bow, and modified a fw different outfits for different elementals, i.e add more freeze to the ice elemental, etc.

ParityBit

So I just started the game (love it so far) but I am curious about selling stuff. I am in the starting area and have some greens and blues. I have 17/20 slots taken. Should I sell those resources that say "Trading with Merchants Selling For Metal Shards" ?

Also do different venders give different prices? (I only have one option currently)

Bunga

I loaded up my default bow with my Tear mods and it absolutely rocked. I think I put damage mods on my Sharpshot bow.

Venture

So I just started the game (love it so far) but I am curious about selling stuff. I am in the starting area and have some greens and blues. I have 17/20 slots taken. Should I sell those resources that say "Trading with Merchants Selling For Metal Shards" ?

Also do different venders give different prices? (I only have one option currently)
You're not going to have any machine parts that are too rare yet. Just look over the merchant's items for sale to see if there's anything you really want to buy right now that requires those parts. Otherwise just sell them. You may want to hold onto any green or blue animal parts though as some of them can be a bit of a pain to collect and you'll need for crafting mainly or buying certain items. I'm pretty sure all merchants give the same prices.

gReXlKW.gif

WR0OsJB.gif

Trouble

Banned
I recently decided to check out New Game+. When I loaded up I realized I had started a new game a few months ago and the farthest save I had was right before starting Deep Secrets of the Earth. ;_; I was expecting playing the last few missions again to be a chore, but it just reminded me of how much I love this game. I went into New Game+ with a full head of steam.

Doomsayer

I'm level 50 and I'm still on the Grave Hoard mission... man, I enjoyed the side quests and exploring waaaaaaaay too much.

I think it's about time to finish the story.

Angel_DvA

What an amazing game, the story, the visuals, the music, 9/10, would play again

Spoiler:

The unknown signal that make Hades independent is a little too magic to me,
the game did a really great job setting up their world and science and then fucked it up with an unknown signal out of nowhere, I can only accept the lightning as the signal, everything else would be meh

Zackat

Spoiler:

the game did a really great job setting up their world and science and then fucked it up with an unknown signal out of nowhere, I can only accept the lightning as the signal, everything else would be meh
Have you checked out the spoiler thread? We discussed these things a lot.

ParityBit

So how do I judge weapons against each other? So I have my starting bow, but I can buy some others (still first merchant) but I only have 4 slots ....

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Spoiler:

It wasn't a random signal. It was targeted to do what it did and we haven't been informed as to who or what sent that signal.

So how do I judge weapons against each other? So I have my starting bow, but I can buy some others (still first merchant) but I only have 4 slots ....

Different weapons are more about the different ammo they field and number of mod slots. The are some stat differences, I but they're minor. Also, you can only use 4 weapons simultaneously, but can carry as many as you feel like.

Doomsayer

Each weapon has specialty arrows/ammo. Scout the area and see what type of enemies there are and what they are weak against and make that your primary and secondary. I always keep either the rope caster or trip caster in a slot as well.

Also the more modification slots the better.

GrazGamer

Just getting to the end of my New Game+ run through on Hard.

Story is so so good,
Deep secrets of the earth
is an amazing reveal even 2nd time round. One of the best stories, or at least best concepts, I have ever played.

Roll on some DLC.

ParityBit

So is it best to buy all the weapons I see? Assuming I have the slots for them all? it is hard to know what bow to use/keep vs buy at the store.

I started NG+, got out of the Embrace, and put the game down. Once we have a solid release date for The Frozen Wilds I'll pick it back up and finish the story.

In the meantime I'm replaying Assassin's Creed II, such a great game.

Horizon has some of the best combat, characters, and narratives in games. Don't know why some people get dismissive when I say that. You can think multiple games are among the best, it doesn't have to consist solely of the Witcher or Zelda.

Mediking

The camera is wayyy to close to Aloy. Like lmao. Did anybody tell Guerilla that the camera was too close?

I'm having fun but that camera is too close!

Earendil

I just started playing and absolutely love this game. I really only have two "complaints" so far. For me at least, the HUD seems a bit intrusive. Are there any options to reduce it? I looked in the settings but didn't see anything. I also wish there was gyro aiming to fine tune the bow aim, because I absolutely suck with dual analogs (PC/Nintendo background).

Anyway, I just left the Embrace, and I'm looking forward to exploring the rest of the world.

X-Frame

I just started playing and absolutely love this game. I really only have two "complaints" so far. For me at least, the HUD seems a bit intrusive. Are there any options to reduce it? I looked in the settings but didn't see anything. I also wish there was gyro aiming to fine tune the bow aim, because I absolutely suck with dual analogs (PC/Nintendo background).

Anyway, I just left the Embrace, and I'm looking forward to exploring the rest of the world.

Oh there absolutely is HUD adjustments. The very first thing I did was turn the HUD to Dynamic so it comes on only when needed, like in a fight, but fades away when you are exploring. You can also make tons more individual adjustments beyond that.

I can't say exactly where this is in settings since I am not at home, but it is definitely there.

Top Bottom