• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii and DS tidbits in the new Edge magazine

This DVD News will prove to be false, Nintendo would never come out an say theres a Wii SP coming next year :lol

I hope the CNN news is true though

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
what is the actual barrier for Nintendo putting DVD playback in the machine? Do they need to pay fees to somebody or something?

Even though this argument always goes "well, EVERYONE IN ThE WORlD HAS 50 dvd players already" I still don't understand why we can't have 51, since the thing has a DVD drive anyway. it's simply baffling that they wouldn't include it.

[Nintex]

a_med_PanasonicQ.jpg

I really don't remember a single person in this thread speaking postively about the potential Wii 'upgrade' with DVD stuff. Most responses appear apathetic.

That aside, some nice tidbits, but really nothing to pique my interest.

And

"We know it's a long way to get out of the videogaming ghetto"

ZING!

Dazzla

I wonder what us Europeans will see on our Wii's when we import a US console. I'm not too bothered but it'd be nice to have local channels e.g. UK weather etc.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
RSP said:
i've got 8 dvd players around my house and only use one for viewing my movies.

I have 1 and I barely use it, what I really want wii to do is to play avi files from burned DVD discs, theirs a killer app right there.

In fact, I don't give a shit about DVD playback, but if it could play avi files off a computer network share, that would be the ticket.

RSP

It should be able to stream any kind of video material from your PC wirelessly.

like that apple thing.

54mbit is plenty for any kind of video material.

burning your avi's to a cd or dvd first is just a hassle.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
Mr. Pointy said:
Well, we're getting a light gun game from Sega.

really? I haven't bought a Sega game in a long time. I briefly owned monkey ball and obviously bought FZero GX...but apart from that, nothing. But I'd get monkey ball wii, probably sonic wii, and I would definitely get Sega Rally, Daytona, HotD if they ever brought them to wii.

maxmars

Rocked said:
- Nintendo intended to bring Wii to shop shelves in the UK and US for £150 and $200, but became influenced by pressure from the larger retail chains, which raised concerns over margins and low so-called 'basket value' (ie, the amount of revenue generated from a customer's overall purchases at the till)

This is something I don't understand.. If they launched with an €200 Wii and no software bundle, wouldn't people also be "forced" to buy a game with that? Why does this bring more profit or even more basket value to them? In Europe new games are easily > 50 €. Puzzled!

AntMurda

How about a Wii HD, Nintendo? Pretty please?

Wii is already HD. 480P is a HD signal. If you are expexting one model to suddenly do 720P, that would be a disaster business wise and development wise.

AntMurda said:
Wii is already HD. 480P is a HD signal. If you are expexting one model to suddenly do 720P, that would be a disaster business wise and development wise.
480p isn't HD. Only 720p, 1080i and 1080p are considered HD.

We can all forget about a HD Wii version. Just let it go already.

Saoh said:
Wiiiiiiiii for SEGA support! :)
It's good news, but I'm interested in how much of the PS3 support went to Wii instead. It could be very little.

I have a feeling a lot of developers are waiting for the Wii to succeed so they can cut their PS3/X360 support and shift to Wii instead.

Koren

AntMurda said:
480p is neither SD, nor HD. It has been introduced with EDTV.

(Besides this, SD/ED/HDTV are norms for TV, not for signals, 480i is technically part of HDTV...)

ethelred

Mr. TV Goggles said:
It's good news, but I'm interested in how much of the PS3 support went to Wii instead. It could be very little.

I have a feeling a lot of developers are waiting for the Wii to succeed so they can cut their PS3/X360 support and shift to Wii instead.

That's what I said. Saying "Sega is giving Wii a lot more support now" means nothing until we see some games mentioned, some titles confirmed. It's just empty lip support until then -- the same thing SOA has been saying since Ubisoft/EA started announcing their blitz of Wii games.

If they really are? Then great, because a whole host of Sega's finest franchises really would be a perfect fit on the machine -- NiGHTS, Samba, Ecco the Dolphin, PD/PDS, Skies, etc. and so on.

But as of right now, their Wii support is comparatively shitty, so if they want to change that perception that they need to start announcing some concrete additions to the lineup.

Koren

catfish said:
what is the actual barrier for Nintendo putting DVD playback in the machine? Do they need to pay fees to somebody or something?
Two things in fact :
- they have to pay fees to DVD consortium (which includes Sony). It's just a few $, but... That's the reason why DVD playback wasn't out of the box with XBox.
- they have to develop a DVD software, or pay for one.

In fact, if there's a Q II, I would be interested. I mean, a real DVD player (ie top notch player, like Q) with Wii functionalities. But simple DVD playback is far less insteresting, I think.

Rocked said:
- Although Nintendo has removed DVD movie playback from the Wii, it plans to launch in Japan next year an enhanced Wii capable of such a feature

Huh?

- He says he's not worried that people can download the old (Virtual Console) games on the PC. He says it's important to be able to play them on your TV screen and doesn't think playing a NES game on the PC is something you'll really love. "Of course, you can play them on your PSP via emulation too! [laughs] Actually most PSP owners I know are using them for Nes and SNES games" :lol

:lol :lol

stressboy

vectorman06 said:
I hope that Nancy Grace doesn't provide nintendo news.

While I have not been very excited about the Wii myself, I would buy one in a heartbeat if Nintendo made a game where you could kill her over and over again. :D

Koren said:
Two things in fact :
- they have to pay fees to DVD consortium (which includes Sony). It's just a few $, but... That's the reason why DVD playback wasn't out of the box with XBox.
- they have to develop a DVD software, or pay for one.

In fact, if there's a Q II, I would be interested. I mean, a real DVD player (ie top notch player, like Q) with Wii functionalities. But simple DVD playback is far less insteresting, I think.
DVD Licence is about $20 a player from what I've read. DVD software is cheaper, but I couldn't see it being less than $2 or $3 a player. I couldn't see a reason why the wii wouldn't be capable of reading dvd discs. It may be locked out in the firmware at this point though. I would be more than surprised if we didn't eventually see a downloadable DVD player.

What I'm hoping for is that Wii dev kits make it to some more open source friendly groups, like the XBMC team. I'd love to see a networked interface for MPLAYER available for the wii as a paid for download. Of course they'd probably have to pay licence fees to the mpeg consortium if they were selling the player for Nintendo points, but that's something to see in the future.

Yeah, I doubt this DVD thing is true. I mean like someone already mentioned it would be a bad business move to pull a GBA SP in the console market. Sure the PS2 got a trim but that was late into the lifespan, which was okay. Nintendo wouldn't hurt there own sales by basically making it sound like everyone should wait.

CNN? Great Nintendo, way to prove you're liberal scum.

DVD enhanced Wii? You better be coming out with an attachment to let us now-buyers get it, although who the hell wants a DVD player that can only output in DPLII?

How many steps back is this now after the giant leap forward at E3? 27?

ethelred

QuickKick89 said:
CNN? Great Nintendo, way to prove you're liberal scum.

:lol

Psst: Nintendo is a Japanese company. I don't think they care about your politicial biases or conceptions or about the American political situation in general.

Ranger X

Rocked said:
General Wii stuff
- Nintendo intended to bring Wii to shop shelves in the UK and US for £150 and $200, but became influenced by pressure from the larger retail chains, which raised concerns over margins and low so-called 'basket value' (ie, the amount of revenue generated from a customer's overall purchases at the till)

Thanks again Wallmart for playing politicians instead of being just A ****ING RETAIL STORE.
I don't know who's responsable for the Euro side of that bullshit but middle finger to them too.

ethelred said:

This and the whole "sending Bush brain age" shit. Not to mention their whole "profit over market share" approach is very NON-capitalist.

If I was running for office in November, I wouldn't run on an anti-games policy, but an anti-Nintendo policy.

Grok4Spock said:
You know what they say when you ASS-U-ME....
Are you trying to say we're both asses?

I thought you were upset with the decision to use CNN, that's the way your post read to me and hence the reason I replied.

ethelred

QuickKick89 said:
This and the whole "sending Bush brain age" shit. Not to mention their whole "profit over market share" approach is very NON-capitalist.

If I was running for office in November, I wouldn't run on an anti-games policy, but an anti-Nintendo policy.

Profit is non-capitalist? :lol

Joke character confirmed.

Ikael

I already knew that American conservatives had little idea about history or foreging issues, but I didn't knew that they also didn't had a cow about economy. Profit over market share a non capitalist approach??? ROLFMAO.

Back on topic, about the SEGA support (the most interesting part of the info, IMHO), I always dreamed about Nintendo and SEGA making a shared studio or something along these lines. A Mario VS Sonic full flegded platafformer would own :D

SpiffyG

Ikael said:
Back on topic, about the SEGA support (the most interesting part of the info, IMHO), I always dreamed about Nintendo and SEGA making a shared studio or something along these lines. A Mario VS Sonic full flegded platafformer would own :D
How about a Kingdom Hearts style game with characters from the Nintendo and Sega universe.

"So Tingle, about those sailors..."

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
QuickKick89 said:

I.... I think I just lost a couple thousand brain cells reading this post.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
QuickKick89 said:

wtf... my head hurts now :( .

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
PROFIT != CAPITALISM

Companies not profiting = capitalism

You heard it here, folks.

What the **** are they teaching you in school, QuickKick?

datruth29

QuickKick89 said:

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

JDSN said:
"He says for months and months he had to sit and see journalists politely smiling when he said DS would be the bigger product than PSP, but he knew from the start it would take off eventually, because he tested it on the people around him."

Are you sure about that part?
who is the "you" in that question?

Top Bottom