• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LG promises HDR gaming input lag patch for 2016 OLED sets

Toki767

I actually didn't know the B6 and C6 used different chips.

I guess since they're typically the same price, the C6 offers 3D. I checked out the curve at Best Buy and wasn't really bothered by it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
I actually didn't know the B6 and C6 used different chips.

I guess since they're typically the same price, the C6 offers 3D. I checked out the curve at Best Buy and wasn't really bothered by it.

the B6 seemingly uses some of the EF9500 stuff, it's input lag on SDR sources, for instance, matched the EF9500 pretty exactly.

Chao

they roll out in waves. different regions get them at different times. Usually with a week or so of the first areas having the update everyone will get it. The new one is 04.30.65. Keep an eye out for it.

I'm confused, that's the one I have installed and HDR GAME MODE is not there.

And that firmware version is up on the website since November 11th, so the new one must be a different number

And that firmware version is up on the website since November 11th, so the new one must be a different number

.65 includes the fix for the HDCP issues with the PS4 Pro on the B6 specifically. It does not include any lag input corrections or implementation of HDR game mode. Remember the E6/C6 are on a different firmware version entirely due using a different processor.

b0bbyJ03

OK, first question is what region are you in? other regions (which have the OLED65B6V, instead of the OLED65B6P, which is what I have) are using different names for their firmware. Here is a link to that version: http://www.lg.com/uk/support/support-product/lg-OLED55C6V

In the US we have this version: http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65B6P

The whole thing makes it even more confusing. lmao. But I'll break it down. If you've got the B6, there is a new firmware that just released 2 days ago that is not available to everyone yet, and is being rolled out. This firmware is ONLY there to address the PS4 Pro HDCP issues.

The C6 and the E6 also got firmware updates, today, that add HDR game mode. So unless you have a C6 (which I don't remember) then you're not going to get HDR game mode anyway, at least not yet. If you do have a C6, then your firmware update (the one that provides you with HDR) would not be the 04.30.65 in any region. it would be something else. You'd have to check based off where you live.

Hope that helps. I had a hard time not confusing even myself when I typed that up. lol.

OK, first question is what region are you in? other regions (which have the OLED65B6V, instead of the OLED65B6P, which is what I have) are using different names for their firmware. Here is a link to that version: http://www.lg.com/uk/support/support-product/lg-OLED55C6V

In the US we have this version: http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65B6P

The whole thing makes it even more confusing. lmao. But I'll break it down. If you've got the B6, there is a new firmware that just released 2 days ago that is not available to everyone yet, and is being rolled out. This firmware is ONLY there to address the PS4 Pro HDCP issues.

The C6 and the E6 also got firmware updates, today, that add HDR game mode. So unless you have a C6 (which I don't remember) then you're not going to get HDR game mode anyway, at least not yet. If you do have a C6, then your firmware update (the one that provides you with HDR) would not be the 04.30.65 in any region. it would be something else. You'd have to check based off where you live.

Hope that helps. I had a hard time not confusing even myself when I typed that up. lol.
Correct. In the states, the E6/C6 firmware version is 4.30.19. That's the version that includes the HDR Game mode for those sets only.

KillGore

So still no input lag results for 4K Game HDR mode huh....you would think people would go crazy trying to test this thing. Although I guess most OLED users are B6 owners lol

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
So still no input lag results for 4K Game HDR mode huh....you would think people would go crazy trying to test this thing. Although I guess most OLED users are B6 owners lol

please see the previous page

(oh - those are 1080p vs 4k... but 4k in theory should need even less processing since the image won't be scaled)

KillGore

please see the previous page

(oh - those are 1080p vs 4k... but 4k in theory should need even less processing since the image won't be scaled)

Ahh, I wasn't aware of that. So it should be the same as 1080p then? If so, that's good. Can't wait to get my C6. Just waiting for CES to see what they have to offer for 2017.

Off-topic: Spider man (PS4) looks amazing! Thanks for making it. Sorry, just needed you to know that lol

attachment.php

yoplay

Just going to patiently wait until the B6 is updated. Last Guardian in HDR with correct lag time will be on record. I can wait.

From the avforms - It's a poster who spoke with LG'S VIP group:

https://www.avforums.com/threads/lg...n-thread-part-4.2062295/page-69#post-24459915

For the other B6 owners - I just got a call back from the VIP LG support - here is what they told me; 2 things that make me want to hold on to my newly purchased B6 for a few more weeks before considering swapping it for a C6 or E6:
1) As others in this forum have confirmed - I should be getting the update soon on the B6 that fixes the PS4 Pro issues with HDCP 2.2
2) He actually told me that the engineering team said the B6 will indeed get the HDR GAME MODE!!! They even said it's slated for release on December 6th - but that date could be pushed back if they run into technical issues.

This is great news. #2 of course might be a pipe dream; maybe they run into a tech issue with the B6 chip they cant resolve - but as of right now I am pretty stoked in knowing they are at least trying and actually have a date slated to roll out HDR game mode support for the B6.

LG coming through big!

Evo X

Updated my C6 a couple of hours ago and am getting great results!

Played The Last of Us Remastered, Ratchet and Clank, and Forza Horizon 3. All of them feel fantastic in HDR Game mode.

Josh378

I was planning to buy the 65KS8000, but now I guess I'll go ahead and get the B6P 65 inch next year when it gets down to $1,800. Thanks LG!!!

Update on lag results from the latest firmware update for E6 and C6. Bottom line, amazing job by LG to respond to our requests with a substantial improvement. They definitely now without a doubt sell the best TVs available!

We have tested our C6 and E6 and found fairly significant input lag improvements - for a 1080p @ 60Hz + HDR input the lag is now 36.6ms for both TVs, and for a 4k @ 60Hz + HDR input the lag is 36.8ms for both TVs. The reviews will be updated with this new information by the end of the day, and we will also test the other LG TVs the update applies to.

Daniel O'Keeffe
Rtings.com

SOLDIER

Do the lag improvements only effect Game Mode or all the different presets?

Only time I noticed input lag was running Tru Input on HDR (non-Game Mode). 3D increased a little lag as well.

FinKL

Update on lag results from the latest firmware update for E6 and C6. Bottom line, amazing job by LG to respond to our requests with a substantial improvement. They definitely now without a doubt sell the best TVs available!

We have tested our C6 and E6 and found fairly significant input lag improvements - for a 1080p @ 60Hz + HDR input the lag is now 36.6ms for both TVs, and for a 4k @ 60Hz + HDR input the lag is 36.8ms for both TVs. The reviews will be updated with this new information by the end of the day, and we will also test the other LG TVs the update applies to.

Daniel O'Keeffe
Rtings.com

LG OLED go to for IQ and Input lag? Bodes well moving forward, hopefully they keep it up as I'll be looking for a new TV next year

Afrikan

did everyone else download it from the Website? or from their TV?

My C6 keeps saying I have the latest when that's not the case.

Well done LG, well done. Looking forward to upgrading in the future with better HDR standards and bandwidth for 4:4:4 on 10 and maybe even 12bit. For now im happy with having paid a fraction for the KS8000.

Decado

What is the difference between the c6 and e6? Is the curve slighter on the c6? The c6 doesn't seem to be available in Canada :(

Afrikan

Well done LG, well done. Looking forward to upgrading in the future with better HDR standards and bandwidth for 4:4:4 on 10 and maybe even 12bit. For now im happy with having paid a fraction for the KS8000.

are you really?

edit- It just seems like alot of Samsung Owners go out of their way to talk down these LG OLEDs...some in subtle ways.... where as I don't see OLED owners going out of their way to talk down the Samsung series.

did everyone else download it from the Website? or from their TV?

My C6 keeps saying I have the latest when that's not the case.

The updates roll out in waves. You may not end up getting it for a day or two (or more). It's best to simply manually update via the website if you want it now. It's very easy to do with a USB stick.

What is the difference between the c6 and e6? Is the curve slighter on the c6? The c6 doesn't seem to be available in Canada :(

C6 has a slight curve, yes. The E6 has the built-in soundbar. It's a flat panel and it also has slightly better peak brightness and a few other odds and ends, etc. Both models support 3D. The B6 does not.

curve
no soundbar
cheaper

How do you do that? Just put the unzip folder to the flash drive and plug it to the tv?

unzip to folder "LG_DTV" and plug to your tv, it will automatically detect the file.

are you really?

edit- It just seems like alot of Samsung Owners go out of their way to talk down these LG OLEDs...some in subtle ways.... where as I don't see OLED owners going out of their way to talk down the Samsung series.

I myself bought the KS8000 because of the input lag and assumed that the firmware patch wouldn't be out this fast. If I could, I would have gotten the C6. It is okay, by this time next year, I will own the C7.

are you really?

Oh no if this had been available from the start I would have seriously considered throwing down the extra cash. I know how great OLED's are. Just on my phone's through Samsung over the years I can't not have OLED anymore for my phone. I just couldn't justify the price with such high input lag. Im also still wary about the bandwidth limitations and HDR standards right now. I'm using it as a PC monitor as well so it has to check more boxes than a standard HT TV for me right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to piss on OLED. (Well outside or hoping for them to go sub 1000 soon :D)

Also realize I got the 55” KS8000 for $729 too. Hard to pass that up. So even at the lowest I'd have to throw down ~2* the dough as the cheapest 55" OLED I saw was $1400 something.

Afrikan

I myself bought the KS8000 because of the input lag and assumed that the firmware patch wouldn't be out this fast. If I could, I would have gotten the C6. It is okay, by this time next year, I will own the C7.

I'm happy we all have options....With the affordable KS8000, which is a great deal for everything that it does... to the great deals we've finally have with OLED screens.

I don't know...for some it just seems that's not enough.

Oh no if this had been available from the start I would have seriously considered throwing down the extra cash. I know how great OLED's are. Just on my phone's through Samsung over the years I can't not have OLED anymore for my phone. I just couldn't justify the price with such high input lag. Im also still wary about the bandwidth limitations and HDR standards right now. I'm using it as a PC monitor as well so it has to check more boxes than a standard HT TV for me right now. Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to piss on OLED. (Well outside or hoping for them to go sub 1000 soon :D)

gotcha. no worries. I don't know when we'll get the perfect TV...always seems like there is something that is just months away to hope for.

How do you do that? Just put the unzip folder to the flash drive and plug it to the tv?
There's instructions you can download right below the firmware file on the website.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65C6P#manuals

On the USB stick (recommend having at least 2GB of storage), create a folder called "LG_DTV" (without the quotes) and put the update file in there.

Plug the stick into the TV and it should prompt you to update. Let it do its thing...profit.

I'm happy we all have options....With the affordable KS8000, which is a great deal for everything that it does... to the great deals we've finally have with OLED screens.

I owned the KS8000 before I owned the B6.

The KS8000 is a fine television. It simply didn't suite my own needs/preferences for what I find it most important for good picture quality. Especially coming from a high end plasma. LED TV's have come a LONG way in a short amount of time but the limitations of the technology are not limitations that I could personally live with given where I was coming from.

For the price you can get the KS8000 for right now? It's an insanely good value and a worthy television for those looking to upgrade. For me, it was OLED or bust once I got to experience one up close and personal.

gotcha. no worries. I don't know when we'll get the perfect TV...always seems like there is something that is just months away to hope for.

it is never enough

i want more more more

:p

There is no such thing. I'm been super weary for a while about TV's even though I've had several 4k's. Even the UN55KS8000 at $729 which became impulse buy for me still had me kind of going
giphy.gif

just because of current limitations that I feel we are so close to overcoming. I really just wish they'd offer Display Port as an option on modern TV's. They have to know a lot of people are wanting to use them for PC gaming and or monitors for design etc.

Decado

C6 has a slight curve, yes. The E6 has the built-in soundbar. It's a flat panel and it also has slightly better peak brightness and a few other odds and ends, etc. Both models support 3D. The B6 does not.
Thanks.

I hear complaints about the auto brightness feature. Is that a issue for all OLED?

Lexxism

There's instructions you can download right below the firmware file on the website.

http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-OLED65C6P#manuals

On the USB stick (recommend having at least 2GB of storage), create a folder called "LG_DTV" (without the quotes) and put the update file in there.

Plug the stick into the TV and it should prompt you to update. Let it do its thing...profit.
Ah, I need a folder named LG_DTV. No wonder it's not working. I'll try this one later.

Top Bottom