• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

Eteric Rice

Cataferal said:
All games seem to at least run, but with varying levels of glitches. Obviously, they focused on the most popular, and beautiful games available: Brawl and Galaxy - which are highly playable.

So they're pretty much fixing the glitches as they go?

Do the games themselves need to be tampered with, or just the emulator?

Because if they get this to run just about every major game, I might use this. :D

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Wait, what? You guys are running Brawl on a Q6600 and getting close to full speed?

I have a QX6700 (2.6 cores, it's supposed to be better than the q6600) and a 8800gtx and I only get 25 fps on Tatsunoko...

What am i doing wrong? Unless, tatsunoko is more CPU Intensive than Brawl, which I don't believe it is...

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
drizzle said:
Wait, what? You guys are running Brawl on a Q6600 and getting close to full speed?

I have a QX6700 (2.6 cores, it's supposed to be better than the q6600) and a 8800gtx and I only get 25 fps on Tatsunoko...

What am i doing wrong? Unless, tatsunoko is more CPU Intensive than Brawl, which I don't believe it is...

Are you running the x64 build? I'm getting between 27 and 45fps in Brawl with a Q6600/9800GTX combo on Vista 64

Usually, I'm against raising a game's original resolution, but since it's the point of the thread...

2r424u8.png

33xj8sx.png

2ecewyv.png

30a9qmp.png

1195i6e.png

2hmom7a.png

15dnvnn.png

I still prefer the original resolution with anti-aliasing...

markatisu

All these hi-res pics just make me sad that developers refuse to even try to reach Gamecube level graphics on the Wii this gen

i took a bunch of shots a month or so ago using dolphin. may as well repost them here. this was before they'd added a bunch of new features, so i may well go back and take more screens now that they automatically fix the aspect ratio and now that you can AA using the much more compatible open gl plug in.

some general shots (f-zero included!)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14856608&postcount=187

metroid prime 1
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14858136&postcount=204

some re4 shots
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14858136&postcount=204

no more heroes
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=14862265&postcount=225

Prime Blue said:
Usually, I'm against raising a game's original resolution, but since it's the point of the thread...
out of interest, which build is this and what settings are you using? did you have to crop any black areas out of the screenshots?

pakkit

Banned
How does Red Steel run? I'm interested in whether the emu makes the game look sharper or just makes the textures stand out worse.

Xabora

CorkyFromLifeGoesOn said:
Can you pop in your wii/gc games into the pc or do you have to download the iso file?
Kinda.
I just take my GC/Wii game disc and extract it on my own.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Core 2 2.5Ghz+ is recommended, the higher the better.
Dual or Quad doesn't matter.

GPU should be 8800GT / 3870 or higher?
CorkyFromLifeGoesOn said:
Can you pop in your wii/gc games into the pc or do you have to download the iso file?
You have to make your own copy into an .iso, either by extracting it or running it off a special DVD drive, or using the newly released USB loader?

Xabora

Hazaro said:
You have to make your own copy into an .iso, either by extracting it or running it off a special DVD drive, or using the newly released USB loader?
Just did some reading.
It wasn't officially released but was leaked and thus the author of it got pissed that it happened and stopped development of it.
EDIT: Nevermind, looks like the dude got his account hacked and the 'hacker' posted it.
He just updated his blog.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Xabora said:
Just did some reading.
It wasn't officially released but was leaked and thus the author of it got pissed that it happened and stopped development of it.
EDIT: Nevermind, looks like the dude got his account hacked and the 'hacker' posted it.
He just updated his blog.
I just saw the picture and read the counter blogpost, so I thought it was released from him.

drizzle said:

OC it!! You paid a huge premium for that extreme CPU to have an unlocked multiplier so you'd be crazy not to take advantage of it.

How about some more Sonic games like the Adventure series and Heroes, and some RPGs like Dawn of the New World?

I probably don't have everything I need to run Wii games on my PC, even though it's a Pentium 4 with Vista Home Basic.

Yeah, apologies for loader talk but does it work with any DVD drive because if so I think I'm going to rip all my Wii games tomorrow to my spare USB HDD. It seems much simpler than all other methods of ripping Wii games.

Davey Cakes

See, I'm not a texture whore, and I'm fine with Wii's actual power, but I would've LOVED to see Wii at least have 720p resolution out of the box.

Hell, even Mario Galaxy had some crappy textures here and there, but it was still a beautiful game. Same thing with Twilight Princess. An extra level of "crispness" would do wonders.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
brain_stew said:
OC it!! You paid a huge premium for that extreme CPU to have an unlocked multiplier so you'd be crazy not to take advantage of it.
I knew somebody would came out and say that.

I did pay premium for it (actually, i only got it because it was the best quad core at the time, the Q6600 wasn't out yet and everything else kinda sucked).

The thing is: I live in a very very hot place. The cores are not overclocked, and two of them are running at 78ºC, while the other two are running at 70ºC... while on IDLE.

I'm afraid overclocking them will make them reach 100ºC (which they already did, before i installed like 3 vents on my case), which means they'll throttle down and make everything run like ass.

There's nothing wrong with my installation. The case is not that air flow friendly, but not much more I can do about it. Room temp inside the case is usually 45ºC, i already have coolers pointing at the right directions, I made the installation with ArcticSilver and I have a beefy cooler, and that's the best i can get it.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
B.K. said:
Someone try Disaster. I'd like to see how it would look.
I think the game would benefit greatly from a higher resolution. Much more than Brawl or Galaxy.

drizzle said:
I knew somebody would came out and say that.

I did pay premium for it (actually, i only got it because it was the best quad core at the time, the Q6600 wasn't out yet and everything else kinda sucked).

The thing is: I live in a very very hot place. The cores are not overclocked, and two of them are running at 78ºC, while the other two are running at 70ºC... while on IDLE.

I'm afraid overclocking them will make them reach 100ºC (which they already did, before i installed like 3 vents on my case), which means they'll throttle down and make everything run like ass.

There's nothing wrong with my installation. The case is not that air flow friendly, but not much more I can do about it. Room temp inside the case is usually 45ºC, i already have coolers pointing at the right directions, I made the installation with ArcticSilver and I have a beefy cooler, and that's the best i can get it.

I'd seriously try reinstalling that again, even if you're living in a 40C climate you should not have idle temperatures in the 70s. What are you using to measure temps (Real Temp is recommended for 65nm Core 2s) and what CPU cooler are you using? Are you sure your temp sensor is working properly? Tried rearranging your wiring for better airflow? Something is definitely not right there.

How have you got your airflow setup? Sometimes adding more fans can be detrimental, you want your case to act as a wind tunnel, so air smoothly flows through it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
brain_stew said:
I'd seriously try reinstalling that again, even if you're living in a 40C climate you should not have idle temperatures in the 70s
I did.. Twice... didn't change anything. I was gonna do it again, but iran out of Thermal Paste (I work with computers, so i have to use it from time to time). I haven't bought more ever since.

When i said Ambient Temperature, i meant inside the computer case - it's usually between 40 and 44...

Actual ambient temperature is usually around 30ºC

brain_stew said:
What are you using to measure temps (Real Temp is recommended for 65nm Core 2s) Are you sure your temp sensor is working properly?
RealTemp. The "sensor testing" tests say all the sensors are ok.

The BIOS reports a temp of less than 50C for the CPU (but only one).

brain_stew said:
and what CPU cooler are you using?
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003
Didn't see any difference from the original Intel Piece-of-Shit-that-broke-on-me cooler. Other than the fact that the temp difference between each pair of cores got bigger.

I did everything as explained on ArcticSilver's website (you know, find where the arrow on the CPU is and then do a horizontal line of thermal paste on the middle of the cpus and etc etc).

brain_stew said:
Tried rearranging your wiring for better airflow?
I pretty much have no wiring on this computer. Only one (round) ata cable. Everything else is sata and all the psu wiring is reduced to a minimum (i got a modular one) and away from the airflow.

brain_stew said:
Something is definitely not right there.
I am aware. I've turned this computer upside down (I've built it myself, so there's no problem there) to find out what the fuck is wrong with it, and i can't get anywhere.

The only thing i can think of is that the 8800gtx is such a motherfucking huge card that's irradiating all heat and blocking all the air flow, which there's nothing i can do about, since the card is exactely the size of the case. I can provide pictures if you want.

With an Open Case, I actually get a higher temp on the CPUs, because it nullifies the actual airflow. So i keep it pretty much closed. I am aware of the evils of dust on the fans, and, like i said, I mess around with it from time to time. Now that it stopped giving me headaches, at least, i stopped messing that much with it. Maybe i should buy another arctic silver and give this a go..

My mobo is not the best mobo out there either. P6N Diamond has a fucking copper heatpipe that runs ALL AROUND the damn board, spewing heat upwards.

However, back on topic, after a couple adjusts on Dolphin, i got Tatsunoko vs Capcom to run properly in Widescreen. The sRGB option came on by default and was screwing with the Widescreen aspect ratio. Is it me or the emulator runs a little better while in fullscreen, as opposed to windowed?

Sciz

Hero of Legend said:
How about some more Sonic games like the Adventure series and Heroes?
Boot up a DC emulator or grab the PC versions where applicable. Far more stable than trying to run them through a GC emulator.

Sciz said:
Boot up a DC emulator or grab the PC versions where applicable. Far more stable than trying to run them through a GC emulator.

I don't ever remember seeing the PC versions of DX and Heroes in my local stores, perhaps I just never noticed as I never looked for them. :p

But I have all of Sonic's GC games sans Shadow and Riders.

Its got to be a dodgy temp sensor reading, there's no way in hell that thing is idling at 70C in a 30C environment with a decent cooling like you have. You'd see a huge drop over Intel stock cooling normally so one or more of the sensors must be stuck. I know my temp sensors get stuck at 36C and never drop below but obviously your error is a lot more hassle, must be annoying as all hell!!

Hero of Legend said:
I don't ever remember seeing the PC versions of DX and Heroes in my local stores, perhaps I just never noticed as I never looked for them. :p

But I have all of Sonic's GC games sans Shadow and Riders.

I own it so its definitely out there, and it supports high resolutions just fine, so yeah that's the way to go for Heroes. Have a look on Ebay or Amazon Marketplace.

I can post some high res. shots of Heroes and Adventure if you're interested? They look stunning running at a constant 60fps in high res.

Edit: Well here's some Sonic Heroes PC pics, these are not emulated GC pictures but the end result will be pretty much the same thing:

9k7a4j.jpg

2yuc9is.jpg

And Sonic Adventure (again from the PC version):

16c3pjt.jpg

ej7ip3.jpg

inner-G

Banned
I have an AMD64X2 5400+ dual-core, is it even worth trying or do I really need a mega CPU to get playable speeds?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
drizzle said:
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003
Didn't see any difference from the original Intel Piece-of-Shit-that-broke-on-me cooler. Other than the fact that the temp difference between each pair of cores got bigger.
One of these can cause issues with temperatures.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j19/dealmaster/Picture002-3.jpg?t=1238551782
http://www.overclocker.ru/images/lab/2007/09/15/32_htd_incaseb.jpg

Do you have it normally like the 2nd pic?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hazaro said:
Right now it's... (lemme see) .. it's like the first picture. Blows air into the PSU (through the metal thingies), which then blows the air through the back. But it's nowhere as close to the GPU as in that picture.

I want to try it the other way around ("sucking" air from the front of the Case and blowing it through the back), but i couldn't because the memory modules wouldn't allow me (and i had 4x1gb back then). Since then, I changed my 4x1 to 2x2 gb, so i moved the memory modules to slots 2 and 4 to try the other way, but as i said, I ran out of thermal paste.

What is the best solution? I never actually found a guide anywhere that goes that deep into detail on these kind of coolers.

Again, really sorry for the offtopic here, but it's kinda on topic, right? :D

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
drizzle said:
Right now it's... (lemme see) .. it's like the first picture. Blows air into the PSU (through the metal thingies), which then blows the air through the back. But it's nowhere as close to the GPU as in that picture.

I want to try it the other way around ("sucking" air from the front of the Case and blowing it through the back), but i couldn't because the memory modules wouldn't allow me (and i had 4x1gb back then). Since then, I changed my 4x1 to 2x2 gb, so i moved the memory modules to slots 2 and 4 to try the other way, but as i said, I ran out of thermal paste.

What is the best solution? I never actually found a guide anywhere that goes that deep into detail on these kind of coolers.

Again, really sorry for the offtopic here, but it's kinda on topic, right? :D
1st picture. That's what you get for not having soldered heatpipes and shitty coolant.[Not sure about the coolant part]

Cheap good heatsink when it works right though.
I don't think anyone knows about this problem though, HOPEFULLY that fixes your issue.

Nikorasu

Prime Blue said:
OMG RE4 PICS
I still prefer the original resolution with anti-aliasing...

Goddamnit, now I have this huge mess to clean up.

Ok is there anyway for this to happen on my Wii in the future. If some random dude can make this happen, is it at all possible that Nintendo can do something that makes the Wii HD. Cause its ridiculous that you have to go the emulator route to play Wii games in HD.

Nikorasu

MiamiWesker said:
Ok is there anyway for this to happen on my Wii in the future. If some random dude can make this happen, is it at all possible that Nintendo can do something that makes the Wii HD. Cause its ridiculous that you have to go the emulator route to play Wii games in HD.

It is physically impossible for them to do anything besides make a new version of the hardware.

MiamiWesker said:

Why? Its been the exact same scenario for every 3D console before the PS3 and 360 launched.

Nikorasu

brain_stew said:
Why? Its been the exact same scenario for every 3D console before the PS3 and 360 launched.

Well, one could argue that it's a little ridiculous that the system can't render high resolutions in the first place, let alone do hardware upscaling.

SOLDIER

I'm very close to getting perfect Dreamcast emulation with NullDC, but I've been experiencing a sound issue that I can't just solve. The issue comes mostly from BGM, where the music is scratchy, as if the quality is too loud for speakers to handle. If someone could help me with this, I'd be quite grateful.

Zoc

Am I the only one here who was most excited by that screenshot of the Wiimote configuration screen?

It shows that this emulator can map "shake" to a button. This isn't meant to be a troll, but I can readily think of games that would benefit from that adjustment (de Blob springs to mind).

Nikorasu said:
Well, one could argue that it's a little ridiculous that the system can't render high resolutions in the first place, let alone do hardware upscaling.

You were fully aware of that when you made your purchase, the fact that a quality third party emulator now exists does not change that fact.

Nikorasu

brain_stew said:
You were fully aware of that when you made your purchase, the fact that a quality third party emulator now exists does not change that fact.

You mistake my meaning. It was always clear what is did and I personally don't care a whole lot either way because I really don't play it much. Nintendo made this decision from a financial standpoint and they weren't wrong, but that doesn't mean it's not disappointing, especially because almost all TVs being sold are now LCDs which look awful when forced to upscale by themselves. I'm more upset about their approach to region control than anything else.

Honestly it wouldn't take a whole much extra memory and gpu power to make the games run like this, but like the 360 and ps3 developers would feel forced take advantage of that extra headroom and we'd never see a wii game running above 30fps.

Nikorasu said:
You mistake my meaning. It was always clear what is did and I personally don't care a whole lot either way because I really don't play it much. Nintendo made this decision from a financial standpoint and they weren't wrong, but that doesn't mean it's not disappointing, especially because almost all TVs being sold are now LCDs which look awful when forced to upscale by themselves. I'm more upset about their approach to region control than anything else.

Honestly it wouldn't take a whole much extra memory and gpu power to make the games run like this, but like the 360 and ps3 developers would feel forced take advantage of that extra headroom and we'd never see a wii game running above 30fps.

I just fal to see why it needs to be brought up now? The issue has been around since 2005? This emulator changes nothing, and like you say, even with a GPU upgrade, you wouldn't be seeing games like this anyway, as most developers don't give a stuff about image quality.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So I got a leaked version of Street Fighter IV wii to run on Dolphin:

buggy.jpg

I kid, i kid.. that's just Tatsunoko vs Capcom running on DolphinIL.exe, which has wrong 3D rendering.. I showed it to my friend and he said: Hey! That version of Dolphin makes Tatsunoko characters look like SFIV characters...

Anyway, posted for the lulz...

Edit: Yeah, no AA here. Don't know why, it just wasn't on.

Top Bottom