• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii emulator can do 720p HD

scitek

Chauncy Talon said:
Thanks that basically what I was getting at. I use to sell Tele, contrastion ration, resolution, micro sec all the good stuff. I knew all of this stuff, that is why I was like Smash Bros, in 720p would be crazy. That why I said, if a game is 8 bit NES it will not show in 64 bit. Thanks for all the clearing up.

Yeah, it's not nearlythe same as trying to make an NES game look like an N64 game. These games are all done in 3D. The power gap between the PS360 and the Wii is enormous, but the game design gap isn't really that large. Look at how close in gameplay RE4 and RE5 are, for example. The only things that could look considerably bad would be some ultra-low res textures, especially if they look bad in 480p already. But, the emulator can use a few tricks the Wii can't to clean those up and make it look a little better.

I really wanna play RE4 on this thing. I tried the PC version with the texture packs, but the dynamic lighting being gone really sours the experience for me.

Aadil

Banned
scitek said:
God damn, I need a new PC. Could one of those $500 GAF PC threads help me with a system to run this emulator well, or would I need to spend considerably more?

I only get 15 FPS with The Conduit on my current setup. :lol

brain_stew said:
Its pretty nicely suited to it actually due to the high stock clockspeed of the chosen processor. OC the processor a little (which is very easy with the a black edition CPU) to 3.6-3.8ghz or so and you'll be laughing.

I'd recommend adding this to the build for $20 to aid your overclocking:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200036

And this $2.50 ultra tiny Bluetooth adapter to allow you to hook up your Wiimote:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.11866

Yup :)

Teetris said:
Yes you can, easily. E8400 plus 4850 should be enough. If you can fit it in your budget upgrade the card to a 4890. Everything else should be easy to find, check out the PC thread.

Not sure what the emulator prefers though, ATI or Nvidia. Maybe someone else can answer that.
You sure about that? This is emulated, not everything runs at full speed yet AFAIK. On my 2.4 ghz Core 2 Duo Tatsunoko vs. Capcom was running at about 30% speed.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Hotsuma said:
I dont understand why the emulator does not take advantage of quad cores? This is what confuses me about PC gaming. There are new processors and the like out there, but if they don't take advantage of it, why buy it? It makes it hard for me to figure out what to invest in.

I'm starting to wish I had not even bothered with getting a new PC to play games. Just too much hassle. :/
Because this is an unofficial emulator made by people for free in their spare time? Its not just a case of flipping a switch and quad cores are utilized. Honestly with the whining of some people, I don't know how the developers of stuff like this keep going.

Bottom line, the PC was never meant to play Wii games, so anything you get is more than you should have ever expected.

Hotsuma said:
I dont understand why the emulator does not take advantage of quad cores? This is what confuses me about PC gaming. There are new processors and the like out there, but if they don't take advantage of it, why buy it? It makes it hard for me to figure out what to invest in.

I'm starting to wish I had not even bothered with getting a new PC to play games. Just too much hassle. :/
You can emulate multiple devices across multiple CPU cores, you can emulate multiple devices on one CPU core, but you cannot emulate any single device (such as a single core of a CPU) across multiple cores.

The biggest bottleneck in emulating the Wii is it's single core PPC CPU. So on a Dual Core you might use one core to emulate that and another core to emulate the rest of the stuff (GPU, Audio, Network, etc). On a Quad Core you'll gain no advantage because you can still only use one core to emulate the PPC CPU.

cuyahoga

Dudebro, My Shit is Fucked Up So I Got to Shoot/Slice You II: It's Straight-Up Dawg Time
Could someone do Boom Blox (first one) through this?

scitek said:
I have a Wii, but I wanna play in 720p on a 136-inch projector screen!

EDIT: I'm going to put together a new PC, anyway, I was just wondering if I could go the $500 route and still be able to run this.

IIRC the emulator only uses two threads at most. So a sub $100 x2 550 is one of the best CPUs you could buy for this emualtor due to its high clockspeed and high OC potential. You're mostly buying extra cores that would sit unused after that point, and any $100+ GPU will be fine, its the CPU that really matters here. So, yeah the $500 route is ideal for this emulator.

Chauncy Talon said:
Yup but if the games are not in 720 then it will not display it in 720p. This is like trying to make a 8 bit NES game look like 64 bit Nintendo 64 Game. Congrats on the guy on making it emulator to bad Nintendo does not work with this team.

100% false. Read up on high level emulation or HLE, rendering at 1080p, with full 32 bit colour depth and 16xaa/af is absolutely possible with this emulator and even N64/PS1 emulators.

darkwings said:
this emulator is pretty crazy, imagine 1 year from now. It basically renders the wii obsolete.

That's my hope anyway, its nowhere near yet, but the pace with which it has developed in the last year is staggering. If they keep that up, my PC will be my permanent Wii player within a year or two. I honestly believe that the art assets in most top tier Wii games are pretty damn good (Brawl especially), they're just held back so much by the 480p resolution and the oft used 16 bit colour.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
This emulator has me really interested in building a HTPC. I downloaded it and tried running it off of a disc in the drive, but it wouldn't recognize it. I have a few questions.

1. Does the emulator read discs or do you have to make an ISO?
2. What type of controller can you use for GC? Specifically, are Xbox 360 compatible?

yanhero

MadOdorMachine said:
This emulator has me really interested in building a HTPC. I downloaded it and tried running it off of a disc in the drive, but it wouldn't recognize it. I have a few questions.

2. What type of controller can you use for GC? Specifically, are Xbox 360 compatible?

1. Most normal DVD drives can't read wii disc, so you won't be able to run it off a disc or make an ISO, you pretty have have to download it.
2. Personally I use a DualShock3, so I'm pretty sure any pad that windows recognizes will work.

darkwings

Banned
MadOdorMachine said:

1) Both, but making an ISO is easy with all the tools available. Check that at gbatemp.net

2) yes I use the 360 controller

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
yanhero said:
1. Most normal DVD drives can't read wii disc, so you won't be able to run it off a disc or make an ISO, you pretty have have to download it.
2. Personally I use a DualShock3, so I'm pretty sure any pad that windows recognizes will work.
Well, Nintendo needs to come out with a WiiHD or Wii2 now then. I'm not going to download the games so emulating is more trouble than it's worth. Ahhhhh!!!!! It's a shame, because it can't be said how good those games look. Curses Nintendo. CURSES!

Hotsuma

infinityBCRT said:
You can emulate multiple devices across multiple CPU cores, you can emulate multiple devices on one CPU core, but you cannot emulate any single device (such as a single core of a CPU) across multiple cores.

The biggest bottleneck in emulating the Wii is it's single core PPC CPU. So on a Dual Core you might use one core to emulate that and another core to emulate the rest of the stuff (GPU, Audio, Network, etc). On a Quad Core you'll gain no advantage because you can still only use one core to emulate the PPC CPU.

Thanks for offering an explanation. I thought that purchasing a quad core system would be a better purchase than a dual core system, but I guess it is not as cut and dry as that.

Once again, thanks for the explanation.

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Shouldn't the thread title really be "Wii emulator can do 1080p HD"? Sure, you need a demonic rig and only a few games might be playable, but it's factual.

Aokage said:
Shouldn't the thread title really be "Wii emulator can do 1080p HD"? Sure, you need a demonic rig and only a few games might be playable, but it's factual.

The CPU is normally the bottleneck with stuff like this. Increasing the resolution won't impact your performance half as much as you'd think.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
darkwings said:
forums are down, but big release are incoming according to official twitter. This emu is already pretty amazing.
Ah, was wondering what bin release means. Awesome. Currently trying to play through Twilight Princess, works pretty well!

Does wii motion plus work btw?

painey

wait, this does GC games too? I have a few GC games that I never finished (hell, I didnt finish even 1) and I would love to get Luigis Mansion running in HD

The Windwaker screens are amazing.

The Mario shots are always what I'd envision Mario to be like in the future when
I started playing Mario 64. I might actually build a new pc for this.

scitek said:
Look at how close in gameplay RE4 and RE5 are, for example. The only things that could look considerably bad would be some ultra-low res textures, especially if they look bad in 480p already.

I'm tired of people who have no idea how the Resident Evil 4 graphics engine works assuming it'd have no problem running RE5 with just "lower textures." Resident Evil 4's engine isn't magic. Most of the visual effects it pulls off are faked, and the amount of gamecube GPU tricks it does are staggering. BUT, they only work in the enviroment it was designed for, I.E. the dark world of RE4. Said graphical tricks wouldn't work in RE5's environment.

Want to see what RE4's engine looks like without all the tricks they were able to pull off because of how RE4 was designed? Look at dead rising wii. RE5 on the wii would look an awful lot like that.

EDIT: To clarify, the tricks I'm referring to have to do with nearly all the shader effects and lighting done in RE4. They're all faked, and they only work in the eviornment created for RE4. It's literally coding to the metal.

I saw a huge discussion on a forum a long time ago explaining how most of the graphical tricks in RE4 were pulled off, and why the engine can't work as a general purpose powerhouse engine, but I can't find it anymore. Suffice to say, RE4's engine, outside of RE4's world, isn't all that pretty.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
brain_stew said:
100% false. Read up on high level emulation or HLE, rendering at 1080p, with full 32 bit colour depth and 16xaa/af is absolutely possible with this emulator and even N64/PS1 emulators.
You sure PS1 can render at 1080p? I don't recall seeing this in epsxe since there always were jaggies.

batbeg

Has anyone tried Disaster: Day of Crisis with this? I imagine some parts would look even more spectacular and some look even uglier, just like the actual game, but it'd be nice to know for sure.

Tendo

So I can't seem to find a way to easily play my wii and gc games out of the drive or to dump them? Bummer :(

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Tendo said:
So I can't seem to find a way to easily play my wii and gc games out of the drive or to dump them? Bummer :(
You need to have a specific drive, LG I believe. I don't think you can play from the drive btw, has to be from an image of the disc.

Anyone been playing around with the frameskipper? It works pretty well for some games including Mario Galaxy!

DungeonO

jett said:
2313735216_88794d4923.jpg

:lol I'm the guy who made that

That picture is from 2005, it's really out of date. It sure as heck looks terrible. Whether or not you folks like the updated screens, well, that's up to you.

ddp4-1.png

ddp6.png

p28.png

p27.png

p25.png

gb1.jpg

It was something I was doing on the side. Nothing serious or anything. :D

Smokey

Holy shit.

I am getting a pretty good computer tomorrow:

Intel i7 920 (2.66 ghz going to OC to 3.0)
9 GB RAM
nvidia gtx 290
23'' 1080p monitor

I haven't read through this thread (why would I didn't have a good enough PC to run this and it would make me sad).

The little bit that I did read of the thread states that this emulator is CPU intensive? the i7 is Intel's top CPU right now, but will the speed be enough (3.0 ghz)?

I haven't played the Wii in months, but this could get me back into it if it turns out my CPU speed will be fine.

Smokey said:
Holy shit.

I am getting a pretty good computer tomorrow:

Intel i7 920 (2.66 ghz going to OC to 3.0)
9 GB RAM
nvidia gtx 290
23'' 1080p monitor

The little bit that I did read of the thread states that this emulator is CPU intensive? the i7 is Intel's top CPU right now, but will the speed be enough (3.0 ghz)?
QUOTE]

A few months back, I got a computer with a 2.7 GHz dual core AMD and an nVidia 9800 GTX+. For games that run slowly, I check the processing power, and it doesn't seem to load the processor (it only really uses about 50 - 70% for me), so I believe it might be the video card.

Now, I'm no expert on video cards, but I'm pretty sure yours is better than mine, and your processor's definitely better, so you probably have a decent chance of getting great speeds.

For me, in XP, I get full speed in most Gamecube games, and good speed in some Wii games. In 7, though, the speed's not as good. Sometimes, Gamecube games can get really slow. Like... Forest Haven in Wind Waker.

When you get your computer, try out other emulators, too. Especially PS2, since you don't even have to dump your games to play them, assuming you have a DVD drive. You'll need to dump your BIOS, though.

batbeg said:
Has anyone tried Disaster: Day of Crisis with this? I imagine some parts would look even more spectacular and some look even uglier, just like the actual game, but it'd be nice to know for sure.
Yesterday I started playing the game for the first time. Bought it few months ago without playing once :D

I know what you are talking about and I'm with you. Would be nice to have some screens here. Some things just wow me in Disaster, others are ugly as shit. :D

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
What are the best settings and/or plug-ins to get games running smoothly?

I got Twilight Princess working, but then for some unexplained reason it just stopped working, and boots to a black screen (if at all), despite not tweaking anything.

So yeah, what's the best path to take in terms of settings?

Caesar III said:
Yesterday I started playing the game for the first time. Bought it few months ago without playing once :D

I know what you are talking about and I'm with you. Would be nice to have some screens here. Some things just wow me in Disaster, others are ugly as shit. :D

An oldish vid of the game running here.

DungeonO said:
:lol I'm the guy who made that

That picture is from 2005, it's really out of date. It sure as heck looks terrible. Whether or not you folks like the updated screens, well, that's up to you.

ddp4-1.png

ddp6.png

p28.png

p27.png

p25.png

gb1.jpg

It was something I was doing on the side. Nothing serious or anything. :D
That looks great, is the entire game done in that style?If so where can I get it!!!

The N64 texture things look pretty cool, I'm always amazed people are able to do cool things like that (rom hacking, 'remaking' the game, new levels etc).

So fucking beautiful. I got the emu running on the Core i7/GTX260 comp in the house and can't manage to get that far because the thing runs so slowly. So pretty though... Is anyone else having trouble grabbing screens at the correct aspect ratio? They always come out really weird for me.

You can find a better use for your monstrous $1000+ PC rig instead of running games with 2002's low-end graphics at 5 fps with glitches.

inner-G

Banned
Happy.Neko said:
You can find a better use for your monstrous $1000+ PC rig instead of running games with 2002's low-end graphics at 5 fps with glitches.
You can also find more useful things to do with it than posting on GAF, but that's not stopping you, now is it?

grap3fruitman said:
Like trolling with stupid posts like that on Gaf?
$300 netbook is more than enough for that. :)

Seriously I don't understand obsession with emulating SD games on PC. SD game is still SD game, it's not going to become Crysis by any means.

Buy a damn Wii if you are interested in wii games. It's cheaper and it's working like it was intended. Today, not the next (next) year.

Smokey

Happy.Neko said:

Seriously I don't understand obsession with emulating SD games on PC. SD game is still SD game, it's not going to become Crysis by any means.

Buy a damn Wii if you are interested in wii games. It's cheaper and it's working like it was intended. Today, not the next (next) year.

have you looked at the fucking thread or are you just being a typical junior?

Aesius

Happy.Neko said:

This argument fails on so many levels.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Happy.Neko said:

Didn't we just have this conversation?

I honestly think that wii games look better on SDTV than on these ultra-HiDef screnshots where you can notice every blurry texture and low-poly model.

Wii on HDTV is another story. I agree that it looks like shit because Nintendo is is too greedy to put decent scaler and HDMI out into Wii.

Happy.Neko said:

Oh look its a troll without any knowledge on the subject he's talking about, bravo.

SD and HD are resolution standards, nothing more. A wii game rendered at 720p is a HD game, COD4 on the Xbox 360 is not.

Everyone using this emulator already owns a Wii and the games that they're playing. Why wouldn't you want to play the games you already own with an order of magnitude better rendering quality? If there's no point in upgrading the resolution, then why not stick with SD for everything? If you had the option of getting aa and 1080p rendering modes added to your sub HD 360 games for free without a performance hit, would you not be interested? Why should the beautiful art in Mario Galaxy forever be smothered under the vomit inducingly ugly image quality output by the Wii?

Even Nintendo themselves belive increasing the image fidelity of old games is a wise choice. Every single N64 game on the VC renders at 4x their original resolution with a higher colour depth, giving the same sorts of improvements in fidelity we're seeing here.

People aren't buying high end gaming rigs purely to emulate Wii games genius. A lot of us already own a Wii, a bunch of games and a nice PC, so why the hell shouldn't we use what we already have. Its a nice little bous for sure, but people aren't buying an i7 rig just for a Wii emulator, but if they've got one, why the hell should they not use it?

Happy.Neko said:
I honestly think that wii games look better on SDTV than on these ultra-HiDef screnshots where you can notice every blurry texture and low-poly model.

Wii on HDTV is another story. I agree that it looks like shit because Nintendo is is too greedy to put decent scaler and HDMI out into Wii.

Well you're factually wrong. If you don't prefer a higher rendering resolution, then fine why the hell would you prefer a blurry jagged mess full with dithering from 16 bit colour ouput and zero aa/af? Fact is, you wouldn't, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about and you've clearly got nothing productive to add, so I suggest you cut your losses now.

Cruceh

Banned
Eh, if you do have the PC to run it, why not? It's not like people have the computer to just play Wii games.

Anyway, since this doesn't take advantage of quad cores and prefers nvidia gpus, would my PC run this at a decent fps?
q8200 @2.33
HD4770
6gb ram

Cruceh said:
Eh, if you do have the PC to run it, why not? It's not like people have the computer to just play Wii games.

Anyway, since this doesn't take advantage of quad cores and prefers nvidia gpus, would my PC run this at a decent fps?
q8200 @2.33
HD4770
6gb ram

An OC on that quad would do wonders, its worth it for its benefits outside of the emulation scene as well fwiw.

Top Bottom