• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart Wii Thread of Official Mario Kart

ghibli99

Looking forward to this one... I haven't quite gotten the same feeling from an MK game since SMK on the SNES, but this one might do it. :)

mrkgoo

What the hell, this is so close! ha ha, I've really not been keeping in touch. So apart from waggle, what is the gimmick in this Mario Kart? I notice fancy cars...

But it may have to be a toss up between this and GTAIV. Having said that, this comes out before, so who knows.

mrkgoo said:
What the hell, this is so close! ha ha, I've really not been keeping in touch. So apart from waggle, what is the gimmick in this Mario Kart? I notice fancy cars...

But it may have to be a toss up between this and GTAIV. Having said that, this comes out before, so who knows.
motorbikes and doing stunts on half pipes to get get boost.

NeonZ

Has the full character line up still not leaked? It doesn't matter much, considering how this is a racing game, but that's weird.

Gigglepoo

Koopa Troopa!!!

Day fucking one.

ghibli99 said:
Looking forward to this one... I haven't quite gotten the same feeling from an MK game since SMK on the SNES, but this one might do it. :)

I say that every time a new one comes out. :D

Shiggy

NeonZ said:
Has the full character line up still not leaked? It doesn't matter much, considering how this is a racing game, but that's weird.

It actually has, you might see the secret characters in the other MK thread.

DeceitDecide said:
So have we figured out yet exactly how the controls are limited when using either the Gamecube or Classic controller?
That was just misinformation, you can do tricks with the dpad on the GC and CC.

It's funny - the graphics look the same as Double Dash, the tracks look uninteresting, 'extreme' motorcycle Mario is silly, the unlockable characters are just 'meh' - but I am so pumped for this game because Mario Kart has NEVER let me down. :D

Phife Dawg said:
That was just misinformation, you can do tricks with the dpad on the GC and CC.

See, I thought that was the case. But wasn't the statement about GC and CC having gimped controls issued in an official Nintendo presser? That's fucking bizarre...

Oh fuck yes. It's almost here. I hope the online mode is smooth and inviting. I want to be able to enjoy all the modes this game has to offer.

DeceitDecide said:
See, I thought that was the case. But wasn't the statement about GC and CC having gimped controls issued in an official Nintendo presser? That's fucking bizarre...
Apparantly that press release was a case of misinformation as well - go figure :lol .

Phife Dawg said:
Apparantly that press release was a case of misinformation as well - go figure :lol .

Heh... Nintendo having poor media realtions? Well, I never...

Anyhow, thanks for helping me straighten this issue out, guys. Now I can anticipate MKWii without hesitation.

Well... except for one more thing. What does everyone think of the new drifting mechanic? The competitor in me digs the eradication of snaking, but the purist in me misses blue sparks.

Ikopi

I preordered it last week, so hopefully next wednesday I will have some sweet, sweet karting action going on. A few friends are already on the standby. I only have two remotes, but with an extra wavebird and regular GC controller, this will be a blast.

dkeane

Firestorm said:
I'm gonna beat your faces in with shells as Toad
Toad my man <3
Toad has been my favorite as well. The bikes are going to make the choices in this game harder I think. Glad they added a lot of new things to it.

The Lamonster said:
It's funny - the graphics look the same as Double Dash, the tracks look uninteresting, 'extreme' motorcycle Mario is silly, the unlockable characters are just 'meh' - but I am so pumped for this game because Mario Kart has NEVER let me down. :D

Unfortunately I think that's what everyone's attitutde is. So much potential wasted :(

jrricky

Banned
studio810 said:
"Right. Even if you haven’t inserted the Mario Kart Wii game disc, if you start up your Wii and check the Mario Kart Wii channel, you’ll be able to see if Iwata-san is playing using Wi-Fi. If Miyamoto-san then selects Join, he can join Iwata-san in the match."
This should have been implemented in brawl too. :/
Shit, this should be the standard across all games.:mad:

lopaz

Banned
jrricky said:
This should have been implemented in brawl too. :/
Shit, this should be the standard across all games.:mad:

Yep. All Nintendo games should let you play Iwata-san

Jammy

Banned
I'm not sure how "interesting" tracks look to me from what little I've seen of them, but I do know there's 32 of them, and I'm sure there's a number of greats to play on for hours and hours.

And as lame as bikes being in there to make the game extreme is, the potential for added gameplay and strategy is just so high.

The ramps, boosts, shortcuts, and wheelies - especially when you use these - will definitely separate the hardcore from your typical Mario Kart player. That's what I love about this franchise.

RagnarokX

AdventureRacing said:
Is there a reason why we only have to wait like 2 weeks for this in Australia, but have to wait like 4+ months for SSBB?

Also toad > all.
I assume the reason is that Brawl's demand was and is expected to outpace supply in Japan and the USA so they wanted to supply these key markets as much as possible first. Mario Kart won't sell near as fast, so they can supply the other markets sooner.

dolemite

WTF
mario-kart-wii-artwork-20080313102036063_640w.jpg

Is that snaking I'm looking at?

Teknoman

Gotta say one thing. The graphics are alot better than Double Dash. We've already had side by side shots eons ago...and the differences are pretty stand out obvious.

Anyway day one.

neight

Banned
Teknoman said:
Gotta say one thing. The graphics are alot better than Double Dash. We've already had side by side shots eons ago...and the differences are pretty stand out obvious.

Anyway day one.
Some people will still not pick up on that I bet. I was flabbergasted today when I read EGM's review of Smash Bros. Brawl and it said the visuals were not much changed from Melee.

kizmah

Only 6 days to go! Preordered and ready, I can't wait for this one. Online is gonna be so much fun.

Last night I saw a TV commercial for it here in Sweden. According to my girlfriend they've been running pretty often the last day or two.

farnham

Banned
I read the Nzone review and im kinda excited

Im going to get it day one but that was a given

they pointed out that the game was very much like mario kart DS

and had some cool features like the online mode.. (although they are using the text chat system of endless ocean... bummer)

the controls are just as the previous versions if you use the Wiimote + nunchuck or Gamecube set up..

the wiimote mode seems to be a little bit wonky but they said its much better then most of the wii racers they have played..

PS
i have 2 gc controllers from the previous gen and i have 2 wiimotes and 2 nunchucks so i will be playing 4 player day one.. YES!!!

Evenflow

Man if this is as good as Mario Kart DS, Nintendo is really on top of their game this generation . So far in just a year and a half we already have gotten a AAA Zelda, Mario, Metroid, Smash, and Kart. Not to mention Wii Sports, Excite, Paper, Strikers, FE, etc. I think this is already Nintendo's best generation in terms of quality and it's really just getting started.

Top Bottom