• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK: Wii U sold around 40k units in opening weekend. attach rate > 2:1

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Wonder if anyone will make the "its because GAME closed so many stores since then" argument. Here, I'm offering it up as a freebie, its at least a bit better than Very.co.uk being out of stock of a games console.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
2:1 attach rate is good. everything else, not so much.

If 80% of WiiU's sold are bundles and they count in the stats, then basically everone bought one extra game with the console. I suppose that's pretty normal for a launch right?

Floex

...during a recession.

I don't know how ipad/nexus tablets are doing so well then :3

The recession thing is such a cop out when it comes to things like this. The reason the console isn't selling aswell as people thought? Because people are not interested and are voting with their wallets

moggio

Banned
I went in GAME to buy a Wii U on a whim. They didn't have any in stock but I noticed they were charging £50 for the games.

I didn't stay in GAME for long.

PaulLFC

It's been showing stock on the 4th for a few days. It is a fact that a lot of online stores are out of stock of either the premium or both bundles.
Just checked some:

Shopto: In stock
Game: In stock
Amazon: In stock tomorrow
Zavvi: Premium doesn't even appear to be on their site, only Basic and ZombiU
Sainsbury's: "Not available"
Asda: In stock
Tesco: In stock
HMV: In stock
Argos: In stock

It sold out? Where is the problem?

All evidence (read: can find it almost anywhere) points to that being false.

I personally think it's too expensive. At $249.99 for the deluxe I would have purchased it while getting groceries, that's a good 'impulse' price for me. But $300-350? No thanks.

But Playstation All Stars sales are great, right?

Isn't this shit bannable after the sticky up above? Keep it on topic. Who gives a fuck about PAS in a Wii U sales thread.

Britprog

Also out of stock:
Very
Simply Games
Expansys

I think "a lot" is pretty fair. Certainly more true than "All online stores...are rich with stock"!

The premium is also out of stock in Amazon, its say "In stock on December 4, 2012" so they are expecting a shipment tomorrow.

Also people quoting "I can get one from CEX" are retards, CEX prices are maked up £345 Premium £325 basic.

Suprised they have soo many, I'm guessing CEX staff have gone out and bought from normal retail.

Brera

Banned
Perhaps they are using the term 'the UK High Street' literally rather than figuratively and it is, in fact, sold out on a particular High Street in the UK.

I've heard Birthdays and Greggs have sold out of WiiU. MCV must have phoned up a couple of branches to confirm.

So this is pretty much the worst UK console launch since the Sega Saturn?

Just checked some:

Shopto: In stock
Game: In stock
Amazon: In stock tomorrow
Zavvi: Premium doesn't even appear to be on their site, only Basic and ZombiU
Sainsbury's: "Not available"
Asda: In stock
Tesco: In stock
HMV: In stock
Argos: In stock

Zavvi bundles are backordered, none of it available now, and HMV are completely out of stock.
A lot of places have stock, but also a lot of places do not have stock.

Brera

Banned
When you can get a PS3 for £120....why would you want a WiiU?

Nintendo have just fucked up. 2006 was when the economy was booming! You could sell gimmicks...now? Not so much!

Coolwhip

Banned
Huge irony is that a lot of people bashing the game were nintendo fans.

They even went on and created a thread "holiday bomba"

I do not wish to bring Sony vs Nintendo wars but kits kinda simple that if you dont market thing properly , it will do bad.

Subscription and a thing which you cant live without now.

Whaattt...? I would like to see your stats for claiming 'a lot of people bashing the game were nintendo fans'.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Zavvi bundles are backordered, HMV are completely out of stock.
A lot of places have stock, but also a lot of places do not have stock.

I think you have to understand that big retailers other than Amazon have stock (who will tomorrow), smaller online retailers don't. I mean, thats the long and short of it.

If you can Play.com, Argos, Tesco, GAME, or Amazon something, its largely instock. Theres no "sold out" card you can play if you can buy the thing easily right this very instant from the same sites you'd expect to be able to. Zavvi is a zombie of a store, I'm often surprised it continues to live, congrats to the dark arts responsible really!

Pranay

Whaattt...? I would like to see your stats for claiming 'a lot of people bashing the game were nintendo fans'.

Lets take the argument somewhere else, anyways, have removed the statement since it will go OT and its bannable i guess

My mistake i shouldnt have jumped into that much since someone brought up all stars thread

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
Welp, nasty numbers.

If they truly are selling at a loss for the first time I'm not sure how much latitude they have for a price-drop / Ambassador program, but if they don't do something then any first mover advantage they hoped to have is lost entirely.

They have a short window to improve matters before the reveals from MS / Sony start coming next year.

I think you have to understand that big retailers other than Amazon have stock (who will tomorrow), smaller online retailers don't. I mean, thats the long and short of it.

If you can Play.com, Argos, Tesco, GAME, or Amazon something, its largely instock. Theres no "sold out" card you can play if you can buy the thing easily right this very instant from the same sites you'd expect to be able to. Zavvi is a zombie of a store, I'm often surprised it continues to live, congrats to the dark arts responsible really!

Yes, I get that. I'm just countering the argument that it isn't sold out everywhere and stock is plentiful everywhere. It is sold out at a number of online stores, including the biggest online retailer, but stock is clearly coming in. I imagine Amazon will have it in and out of stock between now and Christmas.
I'm not defending the launch, by the way. Those numbers are not good.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I feel bad for you mate, so much hope, all dashed by Nintendo.

I bought a GameCube in 2002 (so about six months after Japan got it) when Nintendo of Europe was a shack somewhere in Germany. I'm used to have hopes dashed by Nintendo.

Sure it is....

Who exactly is the PSVita aimed at?

That's its biggest issue indeed imo.
The price tag is too high to be successful for mass-market - not to say system-sellers like Mario kart are lacking -, whereas in the professionals and tech-whores demographics Vita has to struggle with other cutting-edge products such as IPad, IPhone, smartphones and tablets.

Brera

Banned
I'm honestly not sure if this is entirely Nintendo-specific or if this will be a general problem for console manufacturers. Either way, the lack of big exclusives (announced or out) certainly didn't help Wii U.

They tried to do a Wii. They're essentially charging next gen prices for current gen tech.

Their USP is Nintendo games but is that worth nearly a £200 premium?

Most in the UK are geared up for the Next Gen now. If PS4 or 720 were released last week they would not have sold 40k...consumers are not dumb. The only people who bought last week are Nintendo fans who would buy regardless.

meta4

But there are no Nintendo games for the WiiU right now?

They will come eventually but if they dont get enough core third party support esp the big sellers they are in trouble as they cannot rely on casuals to get them through this time around. If Nintendo is going to rely only on first party support this is going to be the next game cube I fear.

Pie and Beans

Very.co.uk is certainly my videogame emporium of choice.

I've been waiting for the Holly and Fern videogame based advert with my trousers off for months. I can no longer remember the feel of fabric on my legs, but I'm sure its due any day now.

Bruno MB

First-party output is pathetic so far (present and future) and no one is going to buy a new console for a bunch of multiplatform ports. On top of it, Wii U is not by any means a cheap machine (Nintendo should already drop its integrated hardware and software philosophy), so no wonder it is doing so poorly.

Coolwhip

Banned
Because they'll need to adapt if their products continue to underperform. It will be demanded; that's not to say I want it to happen. I'm one of the Wii U launch rats!

Adapt by making iOS games? No. I do think game prices need to come down though. It feels wrong to shell out 50-60 euros for a game. When movies cost 10-15 and mobile games 0-8.

I think Zombi U is even 69.99 in the eShop...

The WiiU feels like another 3DS, a botched launch at a wrong price-point. I wonder if its sales will heavily lean toward Japan in a similar way as well.

Top Bottom