• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

vatstep
This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
(02-05-2012, 05:13 PM)

Originally Posted by Bryan1321

I would like this as well. I just got a 4GB Slim 360. And the drive is just too noisy... is this normal. it sounds like HRRRRRMMMMMM like for 5 minutes straight and then it shutdowns

Most games released in the last 4-6 months are on a new disc format (for more advanced copyright protection), and even if they're installed, the 360 reads them pretty vigorously for about two minutes after starting them. After that, the drive shuts off and the game plays from the HDD normally.

Wait, just re-read that you have a 4GB, so you wouldn't be installing games... I guess it's still normal that the drive sounds like it's going crazy for those first couple minutes, though. The rest of the time it shouldn't be accessing as much.
Last edited by vatstep; 02-05-2012 at 05:16 PM.
Bryan1321
(02-05-2012, 09:09 PM)

Originally Posted by vatstep

Most games released in the last 4-6 months are on a new disc format (for more advanced copyright protection), and even if they're installed, the 360 reads them pretty vigorously for about two minutes after starting them. After that, the drive shuts off and the game plays from the HDD normally.

Wait, just re-read that you have a 4GB, so you wouldn't be installing games... I guess it's still normal that the drive sounds like it's going crazy for those first couple minutes, though. The rest of the time it shouldn't be accessing as much.

OK, i guess its normal then. it only sounds like that every now and then. Once it stops theres like a 30 minutes without any sound at all
jbug617
(02-07-2012, 04:23 PM)
Star Wars Bundle will be available on April 3.

https://twitter.com/majornelson/stat...19275414683649
oldschoolpinball
(02-10-2012, 04:52 AM)
my new xbox is so quiet its scary.I was so use to the loud buzzing of the old system that I now forget that its on
Macho Madness
(03-10-2012, 04:48 AM)
Got my new slim yesterday. Had an Xbox 360 since launch, but GameStop was doing a great deal for original Xbox 360 for trade-in, so I bit the bullet on a slim. Bought the 4GB model, and a 320GB HDD for $299, paid $60. Not bad really.

The disc drive is supposed to make a more abrupt clicking noise when reading discs compared to the original, right? Not worried, just curious. Also, the console's cute noises caught me off guard as a nice touch, and I am shocked at how small this thing is. A huge improvement in design. Lastly, I can't hear the thing if a disc isn't spinning. Have I really been missing out on this much silence all this time?
ArachosiA 78
(03-10-2012, 05:50 AM)
So...um...is this, like, ever going to drop in price. I still have a 60GB Elite...and it's pretty much the loudest thing I own. The noise of the drive is getting to the point where it's actually interfering with my enjoyment of games.

But as annoying as my 360 is, I just can't pay $300 for a new Xbox this late this gen. At this point, I might as well just wait until the Xbox 720 and hope it has backwards compatibility.

If I could find a good deal on a slim I would get one...but the price just doesn't budge.
bigtroyjon
(03-10-2012, 06:07 AM)

Originally Posted by ArachosiA 78

So...um...is this, like, ever going to drop in price. I still have a 60GB Elite...and it's pretty much the loudest thing I own. The noise of the drive is getting to the point where it's actually interfering with my enjoyment of games.

But as annoying as my 360 is, I just can't pay $300 for a new Xbox this late this gen. At this point, I might as well just wait until the Xbox 720 and hope it has backwards compatibility.

If I could find a good deal on a slim I would get one...but the price just doesn't budge.

They have constantly been on sale since last November. Check Amazon once a week and buy next time they have a deal.
edit-
Here you go, $50 off right now
BigWeather
(01-22-2013, 06:19 AM)
Sorry for the necro, but this seemed the most appropriate place.

Was exiting AC:Revelations and going back to the dashboard when my 360 Slim rebooted. It got past the X logo but then during the spinny icon just prior to the dashboard showing I hear a click from the right side of the case (where the HDD is) and it reboots again, over and over, same behavior. Removing the HDD and I'm able to boot just fine -- so it's likely a failed HDD.

Anything that I can do about it other than just fork over some more money to buy another? Anyone else seen this?

(Thank goodness for cloud saves -- this'll be the second HDD I've lost (the first due to theft), but at least this time I get to keep my saves.)

Edit: Just another note -- I'm not getting E68 error nor any red light.
Last edited by BigWeather; 01-22-2013 at 07:21 AM.