• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Japanese Launch: 308,570 systems sold, Mario leads with 170,563 copies

There are more major Japanese console third party games not on Wii U than there are on it. This past weekend saw MGSV, and Dark Souls II announced, both of which aren't on Wii U.

But nintendo will support it

I mean it's not like they've been able to rely on third parties for the last 16 years anyway for their home consoles, this is business as usual

kinggroin

Banned
Figures are better than the UK, but that was to be expected given how poor the UK launch was. However it will be the next couple of weeks that will tell us how well it will do. If it maintains the launch momentum into the holiday buying season then the Wii U could become the default console for next gen Japanese games, and that will be a problem for Sony come PS4 launch. I think the Wii U gives Japanese publishers some respite if it is successful as they can re-use PS3 assets and HD development rather than adjust to new expensive full HD development for PS4.

It will be interesting to see where the chips fall in Japan, PS4 is not the default third party platform right now, but if the Wii U does not maintain some decent momentum then Nintendo will find it hard as Sony go in for the kill with PS4 for 2013 at least in Japan.

I don't agree at all, otherwise we would be seeing that kind of eastern support right now. Where is dark Souls? What about Metal Gear? If a developer wants this platform to be viable money bank, then they need to cultivate an audience to sell too.

crinale

The MH3GHD number is okay, considering that it's the 5th implementation of the Monster Hunter 3 (I'm not saying the whole Monster Hunter, but MH3 alone!). Capcom has milked this series quite well, at least in Japan :D

MH3 (2009, Wii)
MHP3 (2010, PSP)
MH3HD (2011, PS3)
MH3G (2011, 3DS)
MH3GHD (2012, WiiU)

Mrbob

Too bad there's never going to be a game like Wii Play for the Wii U. Nintendoland isn't just the same.

Yup. Nintendoland is worldwide flop relative to Nintendo's expectations. They wanted it to be the next Wii Sports. Not going to happen.

Well, to be fair, quite a few Japanese publishers are already putting out PS2-esque games on the PS3, so I'm not sure the PS4 would actually change that much for them.

Good point. I was thinking of big publishers like Square though who would surely like to control their budgets as they are not doing very well at the moment. Wii U gives them a way to do that while PS4 would mean they need to push full HD visuals to maintain their "best graphics" reputation.

While there were, the system was also kind of an unmitigated disaster.

Oh definitely, the PS3 from launch until mid 2008 was a disaster area.

BadWolf

Figures are better than the UK, but that was to be expected given how poor the UK launch was. However it will be the next couple of weeks that will tell us how well it will do. If it maintains the launch momentum into the holiday buying season then the Wii U could become the default console for next gen Japanese games, and that will be a problem for Sony come PS4 launch. I think the Wii U gives Japanese publishers some respite if it is successful as they can re-use PS3 assets and HD development rather than adjust to new expensive full HD development for PS4.

It will be interesting to see where the chips fall in Japan, PS4 is not the default third party platform right now, but if the Wii U does not maintain some decent momentum then Nintendo will find it hard as Sony go in for the kill with PS4 for 2013 at least in Japan.

Japan better not decide to support WiiU as the default console of choice in the new generation or they will be left further in the dust by the western etc. devs when it comes to game development. Either they compete (and focus on PS4/720) or they give up (and stick to the WiiU).

Fun fact: Fist of the North Star and DQX are still the only third-party titles announced for JP release in 2013, not counting those published by Nintendo.

I would think that this would change by the end of 2012, but that might make too much sense to happen.

Japan better not decide to support WiiU as the default console of choice in the new generation or they will be left further in the dust by the western etc. devs when it comes to game development.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that any Japanese developer that goes full-on bleeding-edge next-gen in an attempt to compete with Western studios is going to fare quite poorly. A few will certainly try it, as Agni's Philosophy suggests, but I don't expect it to end well at all.

flattie

All that can be taken from the Vita comparisons is that if the price is too high and the games aren't there, then the system won't sell. The Wii U price is arguably on the high side and the confirmed software schedule isn't particularly exciting or full.

Considering those points, and counting in the bias towards handheld gaming in Japan, I wouldn't be so quick to say "it won't 'Vita', it has Nintendo written on it".

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
The issue I see is NSMB, Monster Hunter, and NintendoLand have to carry momentum for at least the next few months- barring some blowout this week there is nothing for January and Wii Fit doesn't seem scheduled for anytime soon (same with Pikmin obviously).

Malvingt2

Japan better not decide to support WiiU as the default console of choice in the new generation or they will be left further in the dust by the western etc. devs when it comes to game development.

better not? Japanese people are going to do what they feel like.. There is not better not...

Japan better not decide to support WiiU as the default console of choice in the new generation or they will be left further in the dust by the western etc. devs when it comes to game development. Either they compete (and focus on PS4/720) or they give up (and stick to the WiiU).

Considering they've already made Wii, 3DS & PSP their default systems, I'm not sure it matters.

And support which console? It took forever for PS3 to have a decent userbase. Japan's output on the HD consoles was sparse to say the least. Japan devs can't really afford the western paths when they typically have to work on games with far lower budgets.

gcubed

While there were, the system was also kind of an unmitigated disaster.

yeah, while there was an issue where supply was constrained from being sent to places that needed it... the problem on Sony's side was that there was no place that needed more supply

BadWolf

better not? Japanese people are going to do what they feel like.. There is not better not...

Better not if they want to stay competitive on a worldwide scale, is what I meant. If they don't mind getting most of their sales from Japan then they can do as they like.

The MH3GHD number is okay, considering that it's the 5th implementation of the Monster Hunter 3 (I'm not saying the whole Monster Hunter, but MH3 alone!). Capcom has milked this series quite well, at least in Japan :D

MH3 (2009, Wii)
MHP3 (2010, PSP)
MH3HD (2011, PS3)
MH3G (2011, 3DS)
MH3GHD (2012, WiiU)
MHP3 is not a part of the MH3 family; it's the 4th game.

Those hardware numbers seem good, but Nintendo needs some games for this thing.
In Japan, they have it; almost all major franchises [that sell] are on Nintendo consoles now.

kinggroin

Banned
All that can be taken from the Vita comparisons is that if the price is too high and the games aren't there, then the system won't sell. The Wii U price is arguably on the high side and the confirmed software schedule isn't particularly exciting or full.

Considering those points, and counting in the bias towards handheld gaming in Japan, I wouldn't be so quick to say "it won't 'Vita', it has Nintendo written on it".

whos saying that? In fact, most people in this thread are saying to look to the second week before throwing any parties.

Durante

Good point. I was thinking of big publishers like Square though who would surely like to control their budgets as they are not doing very well at the moment. Wii U gives them a way to do that while PS4 would mean they need to push full HD visuals to maintain their "best graphics" reputation.
How would Wii U help them in maintaining their "best graphics" reputation? With the same budget they'll be able to make a more beautiful game on PS4 than Wii U.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wait a moment, are these all the WiiU games released at launch?

Wii U Launch Lineup

Monster Hunter 3G HD Ver.
> New Super Mario Bros. U
> Nintendo Land
> Musou Orochi 2 Hyper
> Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor’s Edge
> Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - Wii U Edition
> ZombiU
> Assassin's Creed III
> Mass Effect 3 - Special Edition
> FIFA 13
> Batman: Arkham City - Armored Edition

Punisher

Neo Member
Mario, Monster Hunter, those are great launch titles.

Also I have big hopes for the Joysound Karaoke app, this is a serious mini-killer app for the Wii U in Japan I think. You basically get the same karaoke system as you would get in a Karaoke booth with a joysound system.

I already ordered my microphone!

kitsuneyo

Ok... that's all three big launches out of the way and Christmas will be done in a couple of weeks.

After that, Nintendo HAS to tell us what they've got planned for next year and they HAVE to make it good. Otherwise they can't possibly expect to attract more buyers.

A lot of us have invested in Wii U Nintendo, do not screw us over.

We need 2013's games to be named at New Year.

Also I have big hopes for the Joysound Karaoke app, this is a serious mini-killer app for the Wii U in Japan I think. You basically get the same karaoke system as you would get in a Karaoke booth with a joysound system.

The Miiverse community for that app is already pretty big I think.

Mardak

They really need to promote Nintendoland better. The game is amazing in multiplayer and it's a system seller IMO.
The Nintendo Land Iwata Asks emphasizes multiple times that the game is pretty deep with harder difficulties after the first set of levels:

"It gets real after you beat the game"
http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/nintendo-land/0/2

I was wondering why Nintendo was emphasizing that point, but it makes sense for the Japanese audience because it's sold separately. I would assume a general prejudice of the game is that it's a collection of mini-games, when it's actually very content-filled. It also has amazingly good multiplayer.

Considering they've already made Wii, 3DS & PSP their default systems, I'm not sure it matters.

indeed. It's not all about hardware sales that determines 3rd party support in japan. It's plain and simply who buys the most types of games. Japanese devs transitioned to PS3 a long time ago over there and most seem to have benefited. Look at Namco, they are ballllin.

Yup. Nintendoland is worldwide flop relative to Nintendo's expectations. They wanted it to be the next Wii Sports. Not going to happen.
It reminds me of the year when the Wii began to slide. Nintendo expected Kirby Epic Yarn and DKCR to carry the Wii through the holiday season with no Wii Sports/Fit equivalent. As much as they don't want to admit it, casual gamers are content not "moving on" to "bridge" games.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yeah, but I think Luminous shows they're actually interested in doing that.

I mean, I guess they could just hand the engine to Eidos and call it a day, but it seems kind of pointless since they have Glacier 2 and Unreal Engine 4 on that front.

How would Wii U help them in maintaining their "best graphics" reputation? With the same budget they'll be able to make a more beautiful game on PS4 than Wii U.

Best in class, not overall. They could easily have the best graphics on Wii U. However I don't think they could get better graphics on PS4 without increasing their budget, higher quality textures and full HD visuals means more staff and more money.

What this might do is extend the life of the PS3, which again is a problem for Sony.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
It reminds me of the year when the Wii began to slide. Nintendo expected Kirby Epic Yarn and DKCR to carry the Wii through the holiday season with no Wii Sports/Fit equivalent. As much as they don't want to admit it, casual gamers are content not "moving on" to "bridge" games.

I think the better comparison is 2008. Wii Music and Animal Crossing.

Top Bottom