• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monolith Soft's Wii U game "X" coming 2014 [E3 Trailer]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

One thing that caught my attention was that when the showed the area from the first trailer in this new trailer, you could tell a number of graphical improvements had taken place if it wasn't obvious already. Tons of foliage in view, and it appeared the greens used for the vegetation had been darkened to take away from that washed out look people were complaining about. Also the water seems to have taken a big step up as well. Pop in on everything looked significantly improved as well. Big improvements on animations as well. Very impressive visually.

also a thing to consider(to those who dont know about Xenoblade not being a MH clone)

There are huge monsters roaming around the locals so your mechs have something to fight against

:p

jaz013

Banned
This game (and MK8) looks more "next-gen" than anything showed in the previous day.

Anyway, 2014 is a lot of time, I don't expect the game to be release before summer.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
02_l.jpg

This pic is beautiful

massoluk

Banned
I was stunned after watching the trailer. Forgot to breath and needed the deep breath after that.
So good.

Big Mech, Open World, RPG. Need it now. Game of E3 for me.

onilink88

Where did the first trailer indicate there would be AI allies if you weren't playing with others? It always had "Player #."

There was only one, short instance in the first trailer that we saw a chatbox, and we can't infer from just that that the rest of the footage had exclusively player-controlled characters. Besides, in this new trailer, there's a portion with a mech walking around with three other characters, and they weren't denoted by "player #" identifiers.

Also, the fact you have player created characters (which this trailer heavily indicates) and a fully explorable world is indicative that it won't really be like Xenoblade from a story perspective.

There wasn't a single instance in that trailer that subverts the notion that this is a standard JRPG with additional online co-op. Nor are there any that suggest that there are player-created characters involved; the same characters we saw in the first trailer (black-haired guy, silvered-haired girl, and pigtails girl) make appearances in this trailer as well. I'm pretty sure they are this game's original cast, as opposed to player-created characters.

It will probably have a story, but again, given the online focus and fully explorable world it will probably have a larger focus on multiplayer questing.

I'd love to be wrong, but this is how the game seems based on the two trailers.

I don't see it at all. This is an online Soma Bringer. It's really that simple.

Sorry if I come off sounding dickish, but I think you're way off here.

This game still looks awesome. I was hoping to see a bit more from it, but I'm still happy to have this.

I hope it won't be too long before we get an idea of what the story is, and see some more details.

I wish we could have the Xenoblade composing team, though. Sawano can't compare to them at all.

MogCakes

That song totally reminded me of Xenosaga, which was awesome. This game is going to be awesome. I seriously want to know if its gonna go the super serious Xenosaga story route or the more traditional Xenoblade route. Either way, I'm excited about it.

I hope they go the Xenosaga route. Story was convoluted but engrossing. Also hoping we can go into SPAAAACE, but from the screenshots it doesn't look that way :(

This game looks amazing. X, FFXV, and KH3 are the big takeaways for me this year. Hope TGS has a better showing of JRPGs.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Someone on GT was saying there were lots of Xenogears nods in this trailer.

Did I miss something? Sure, there are mechs, but outside the main one being red and having glowing yellow power lines like Wetall-ID, I'm not seeing it.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Maybe it's my fault because i have no faith in square enix, but imo this looks more promising than ffxv, and i have no nintendo consoles.

poweredbykimchi

Neo Member
Dunno if you guys noticed, but collectibles are back. You can see the light blue floating things in 2 scenes at the 1 minute mark and then the scene right after.

Galang

Banned
The mech suits look like it'll be really fun if the world is as explorable and seamless as Iwata implied. Air battles will be sick!!

You realize the trailer does not equal the entire game right? Because if it did, the whole game would consist of flying around on your mech looking at big monsters, which, come the fuck on.

When did I ever say that the whole game equals a trailer? All I'am doing i drawing some conclusions about the game based off that trailer. I don't know why me doing this seems to personally offend you.

First trailer no longer exists?

What does that have to do with anything? You say that as if the first trailer was even more story based.

Because it was a trailer meant to show off locales.

I've NEVER seen video game trailer that was meant to just "show off locales", especially with both of the trailers doing that.

First trailer no longer exists?

I'am using the first trailer as a basis. In the first trailer, your party members were clearly human players.

And? See I can do that too, doesn't do much, if you don't respond to what i've said.

The trailer focuses on elements that individuate the game from Xenoblade. Seriously, you aren't even trying.

I'am not trying? Basically what I'am trying to say is that both trailers focused almost completely on game play, there was no dialogue or even semblance of there being a story. Which is fine for games like Mario, but for a game that's supposedly an RPG that isn't.

Also you make it seem like I'am trying to bash the game, Which I'am not. I'am simply drawing conclusions from the trailer which is a perfectly normally thing to do. in fact I do hope I'am wrong and that this is a massive RPG with a deep story but so far, from what we've seen I don't think it is. And the fact that Iwata didn't even refer to it as an rpg also doesn't help.

Jackano

I'm actually hyped for this now. I never be hyped for a RPG before. This is also with no doubt the most beautiful game so far on a Nintendo console, just like Xenoblade Chrnicles probably was.

Now, the hard question (I'm not a tech whore so I don't know but I want to know): How does X stands against ps4/Xbone games?

ivysaur12

Banned
At least it's pretty much guaranteed to get an American release considering how much of a spotlight it was given during E3.

Look how far we've come from Xenoblade being discovered only having existed on E3's press site.

Jackano

Kinda fun that the game still has no official name yet lol.

It can be fun at first thought, but it is in fact a mistake from Nintendo. How people are supposed to buzz and communicate about the game if it havn't a name? Try to do some SEO on the letter "X" on the internet... You know nothing Nintendo Snow.

Edit: They also have Smash Bros 4 meta tags for e3.nintendo.com X page, and DKCR 3DS trailer video instead of Tropical Freeze. What a mess.

anaron

At least it's pretty much guaranteed to get an American release considering how much of a spotlight it was given during E3.

Look how far we've come from Xenoblade being discovered only having existed on E3's press site.

and the pain inflicted every time the main thread was updated with everyone desperate for that damn NA release confirmation.

Good times. :p

SkyOdin

How? It looks nothing like Xenogears.

The whole scene of a guy walking through a hanger full of mecha felt like something straight out of Xenogears, in my opinion. It felt a lot like a modern version of strolling through the Yggdrasil's hanger. Heck, the ability to switch freely between walking on foot and riding giant mecha around while wandering the great outdoors is straight out of Xenogears too. X is definitely showing a Xenogears influence, even if it is gameplay-wise looking to be a direct descendant of Xenoblade.

So, how does it compare to ps4/x1 games?

I know that it is a naive question, but felt obliged to do it..

It seems that WiiU can produce some beautiful results..

lt519

Loved the scene of them walking into the battle with the mech in-between them. Looks great, can't wait to play it.

Part of me really wants Nintendo to appear nowhere out of the blue and say that they acquired the license/rights to Xenogears and that this is Xenogears 2....but alas, reality sets in =A=

So psyched for this! Anticipating this and Pokemon XY the most.

Exploring the huge worlds of Xenoblade was amazing, the thought of being able to fly around worlds like that is even more so.

lt519

Anyone also notice that Iwata said a seamless environment? If they can pull of a huge open world with no loading I'd probably crap myself.

onilink88

What does that have to do with anything? You say that as if the first trailer was even more story based.

You said it doesn't look like Xenoblade. Looking at it from a gameplay perspective, it's very much like Xenoblade. Are you telling me I was supposed to read that statement from a narrative standpoint? Because if so, you phrased that poorly.

I've NEVER seen video game trailer that was meant to just "show off locales", especially with both of the trailers doing that.

Xenoblade had a trailer dedicated entirely to exploration. The first X trailer had emphasis on combat. In the E3 trailer, they clearly intended to show off more of the locales, exploration, and different Dolls.

I'am using the first trailer as a basis. In the first trailer, your party members were clearly human players.

There was only one, short instance in the first trailer that we saw a chatbox, and we can't infer from just that that the rest of the footage had exclusively player-controlled characters. Besides, in this new trailer, there's a portion with a mech walking around with three other characters, and they weren't denoted by "player #" identifiers.

And? See I can do that too, doesn't do much, if you don't respond to what i've said.

What the hell does not looking as colorful as Xenoblade have to do with being a plot-driven RPG? You made a pointless observation to justify your claim. I responded with the substance that was warranted. :/

I'am not trying? Basically what I'am trying to say is that both trailers focused almost completely on game play, there was no dialogue or even semblance of there being a story. Which is fine for games like Mario, but for a game that's supposedly an RPG that isn't.

There's barely three fucking minutes of footage shown of the game. But you're right, that's enough to come to the conclusion that there won't be any sort of substantial plot, especially when the game originates from Tetsuya Takahashi.

Sorry, but people making claims like this are either being obtuse on purpose or have no idea who Takahashi is or what kind of games he makes.

Zornica

Banned
WOOOOHOOOO
get your gear ready, we're going into space!

The original trailer had amazing music. With Sawano doing the soundtrack, I don't think we have anything to be worried about when it comes to music.

really? oO I though the music from the 1st trailer was boring and lame... but loved this ones music.
kinda surprising how many people here hate the music.

So is this going to be like MH or xenoblade?

why would it be anything like mh? how do you people come up with that stuff? oO this looks nothing like monster hunter - at all.

TheMan

Game looks a absolutely amazing. It really is a shame that something so potentially awesome is being wasted on the wiiu as an exclusive...they could find a much wider audience on the hd twins and their next gen brothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom