• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dante's Inferno demo coming this month, hitting PSN first, XBL two weeks later

theBishop

Banned
I don't mind that this is a God of War clone.

I mind that it's an inferior God of War clone. Even the chests of glowing orbs are less fun to open than in God of War.

Dante's does win the "Most Gratuitous Tits" award though. Jesus.

Nizz

KibblesBits said:
Ok, mnaybe its the beer but i'm aggravated...

WHy is the hell would limbo be exciting?

It's Limbo? Please tell me the peopele bitching aren't the same ones who are purists concerni9ng the actual works. Cause that is fail.
Huh? :lol

Sobriquet

I actually enjoyed it. It's far from the prettiest game, and the boob-rendering technology needs some work, but it was fun.

At the very least, it's a rental.

Cowie said:
Didn't the Dead Space demo release after the game had been out? Anyway, I only bought Dead Space because it was $30 on black friday last year -- it wasn't until after playing it through that I thought it was really worth paying $60 for. Even if it turns outs fantastic, Dante is in the same boat.

I don't think anyone has said 'the demo is bad, the game will be bad', but I'm not enough of an optimist to buy a game whose media and demo didn't entice me because maybe there is something totally awesome hiding inside of it. Let me see some impressions from real people a few weeks after release, and we'll talk.

Well thats completely fine but there are a few people in here saying this game is complete garbage. Yet I agree, lets see the talk a few weeks after release.

reKon

Banned
Played the demo and like I said the very first time I saw the gameplay, it pretty much MATCHES GoWIII gameplay. I just wish they would do something more unique you know to set it apart gameplay wise, you know?

I'm not going to pick the countless gameplay things they've copied, but here are just some thoughts:

The game definitely runs much silky smooth at (60fps) and the actions are a little bit more quicker than GoWIII. With a lot of enemies on screen, and great bosses, the game could get crazy.

I like the holy cross weapon because it's range and you use it to start up some combo's.

Also, from the videos I saw of this game, the thought it was going to look better than it does now. I hope they plan on polishing up the game a lot because compared to the GoWIII, it looks much worse in comparison. Not saying that it's a terrible thing, though because DI has the butter smooth FPS. The thing is that I don't need every game to run at 60 FPS. Just as long as the game doesn't noticeably slowdown and action is smooth/intense and looking the best it can, I'm grateful won't be bothered. Insomniac had their shit right.

The story shows potential and I like the variation in settings so far. It's clear the atmosphere in this game will be engrossing throughout Dante's journey. The voice acting was solid. The Deathboss was pretty fun, but then I realized you can pretty much block everyone of his attacks and you didn't even need to evade.

Riding the monster wasn't as amazing as I thought. Opening for health and magic is annoying.

Basically, I had thought that this game had potential to actually be better than GoW III (which it did), but based on this demo, they still have a lot of work to do. I know demo's are indicative of the final product, but here I found myself playing a game with the gameplay as the God of War's and found it a little worse. Even GoW II holds up against Dante's Inferno as GoW II is actually still more fun than a lot of current gen games and almost looks better than them.

I think that the game is definitely going to be a great AA title though and people on the Xbox 360 will get a chance to play a game a little more epic in scope rather than NG II/Bayonetta (crazy arcade like combo frenzied action game).

Zeliard

_tetsuo_ said:
You think so? I didn't get that feeling at all. I think they pulled it off well for having just a few low level moves.

Rez said:
I felt that mostly went away with the scythe.

Well, I didn't play a great deal of it - just the starting section. The weapon hits just didn't seem to have that much impact to me. It all felt very light. People keep comparing the gameplay to GoWIII but I feel that the latter hits with considerably more force and feedback to the player during combat. There's a sort of physicality and sense of weight there that seems to be missing with Dante's Inferno.

Gonna play the demo through and see if that changes with a different weapon.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
AshMcCool said:
Looked it up myself and got spoiled :(

Me too. Damn! Well, I'm playing through GoW II right now, so I guess I'll soon find out for myself and then it won't matter. But it would have been a nice surprise. Oh well. Stupid me.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Zeliard said:
Well, I didn't play a great deal of it - just the starting section. The weapon hits just didn't seem to have that much impact to me. It all felt very light. People keep comparing the gameplay to GoWIII but I feel that the latter hits with considerably more force and feedback to the player during combat. There's a sort of physicality and sense of weight there that seems to be missing with Dante's Inferno.

O ya the Halberd section sucked. When you get the scythe and the cross the game does a good job selling the combat. Especially the sound.

Rolf NB

Zeliard said:

I feel the same way. I think it's a combination of audio stuff and the far camera.

It's still very fun though. I want to see what it's like with the "tech trees" fully opened up.

I thought the demo was impressive and alot of fun. I do like the fact that they achieved 60fps in an intense action game with graphics that still look admirable. Yes, it is very, very similar to GOW, but that isn't exactly a bad thing imo and it doesn't mean that the game itself will not be really good.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
elrechazao said:
They know that big multiplat releases generally sell half to 3/4 on the ps3 than they do on the 360. The 360 market is already there, so you do something special to get the ps3 market excited, and try to make up the gap.

See: Batman, AA
I wouldn't say this is making up the gap. It just Sony working out a deal with EA for money in general. Brutal Legends, Bad Company 2, and this all seem to be slanted towards PS3. Batman was another clear cut case, Batman PS3 even had bonus content exclusive to the game if I recall. advertised the shit out of it too. :lol

Brannon

Decent game when you lose that crappy starter weapon and gain the scythe. I really like the move where you hold square. Feels just right.

Though Death shouldn't be that easy to beat, which just reinforces my disdain and absolute disrespect for all things skeletal. Skeleton-types suck.

dk_

Played it earlier today. Some parts looks terrible (f.i. when you walk up the hill to the door with the first green well), other parts (battles, animations, effects) are nice. At the moment, it's a definite rent for me...

TheFallen

I really want to know what made them go with these environments. I've replayed it a couple times to absorb everything in the demo and I just can't help but get distracted with how barebones some of them are. The graveyard is a freakin' rectangle with grass, a brick wall and a gate (that has a dated fire barrier). The cross tombstones don't even last long, as the skeletons spawn from them. Seriously, there's nothing in the environment at all once they do, no epic vista, interactive elements, debris, anything. Just a couple generic trees to show a forest and a path. It made me appreciate how much effort was put into the God of War games, hell even some of the clones like Wolverine and Conan. Dante's Inferno just lacks that visual atmosphere. Don't even get me started on the Death fight. :lol

I should add that the gameplay footage they've shown featured a lot more interesting areas. But I have a feeling many people won't get a chance to see those after they dismiss the game following the mediocre demo.

Lebron

Eh, I enjoyed it for the most part. Didn't really care for the level design of the stages featured in the demo, but I know it gets better as you progress(from the videos). I think it'll turn out good.

RSLAEV

I've never been a fan of GoW-the main character is wayy too dudebro for my liking.

I like this game. Not only is it sweet to play, but the protagonist is a flawed character on a journey of self discovery, something I find far more relateable.

jett

D-Member
To be honest after giving the demo another shot it seems like an entirely decent and enjoyable game, the Cross weapon at least kind of differentiates it a bit from GoW. They really should've chosen to showcase another part of the game, because the beginning is really kind of lame, and there really is no point in giving us a demo with such a limited movelist.

teiresias

Played the demo tonight - well some of it. Competent GoW clone, but nothing that's making me want to buy it instead of spending my time finishing the trophies on the GoW Collection to be honest.

I also was annoyed that the demo actually had one of the more annoying GoW scenarios featured in it. Namely, the whole "beat all of these enemies to open the gate so you can escape the moving wall/ball/grate that is going to crush you." I hate that crap in GoW and I hate it here.

Also played the demo. In my opinion this is an awful, awful game. Just watching the cut-scenes was embarrassing. If this was a movie, I think people would be walking out after the first 10 minutes. It's hard to believe the guys behind Dead Space, one of my favorite games of last year and in my opinion one of the best horror games of all time, were responsible for this. The bad dialogue, the hideous character design, the gratuitous and poorly done nudity, and the wholesale butchering of a great work of literature (and yeah I actually read it, back in the day) all make this an incredibly distasteful product that I would actually be ashamed to go to the store and buy.

I think the real story is what this says about Visceral Games and the type of games they are making.

Dead Space, while technically very good, was also highly derivative of much that came before it, namely Alien, Event Horizon, Bioshock, 2001, etc. Following up that with Dante's Inferno could start to give them a reputation as a company that is lacking originality. We'll see, I guess. Hope I'm proved wrong.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
RSLAEV said:
I've never been a fan of GoW-the main character is wayy too dudebro for my liking.

I like this game. Not only is it sweet to play, but the protagonist is a flawed character on a journey of self discovery, something I find far more relateable.
Is someone else going to tell him, or should I? :lol

Ah what the hell. What you described his character to be, is pretty much exactly what Kratos is. If you played the first GoW, you'd see that there was actually some surprisingly good characterization of him that way, and even unveiled layer by layer throughout the game, with some surprising twists, instead of served on a platter in a press release or during game's intro. GoW doesn't get enough credit in my opinion with how well they pulled this off, and I can't help but shake my head at th 'generic rage' comments the character is getting to this day, as it just show those people never played maybe beyond the demo of the first game, if that. Admittedly Corry screwed the pooch a bit in that sense with second game, but the original cannot just be dismissed because of the sequel.

CartridgeBlower said:
I think the real story is what this says about Visceral Games and the type of games they are making.

Dead Space, while technically very good, was also highly derivative of much that came before it, namely Alien, Event Horizon, Bioshock, 2001, etc. Following up that with Dante's Inferno could start to give them a reputation as a company that is lacking originality. We'll see, I guess. Hope I'm proved wrong.
Making a competent ripoff is hard work. I mean just look at Batman:AA

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
CartridgeBlower said:

they're slowly becoming a very decent developer. they're borrowing ideas from all over the place, sure, but there's no doubting that there is a lot of talent over there.

oh, and you know what else is awesome? their PS3 versions are up to scratch! <3

I really enjoy everything that has been presented so far. As a person who has never even touched GOW I have to say the feel of this game is smooth, well thought and interesting. My only gripe is that the QTEs are placed in a weird location and are not exactly obvious leading to a long battle at the end to get on that stupid beast.

That and Beartrice had waaaay too much boobies time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The game has really grown on me; the more I play it the more I like it.
KibblesBits said:
I really enjoy everything that has been presented so far. As a person who has never even touched GOW I have to say the feel of this game is smooth, well thought and interesting. My only gripe is that the QTEs are placed in a weird location and are not exactly obvious leading to a long battle at the end to get on that stupid beast.

That and Beartrice had waaaay too much boobies time.
and some of the QTEs proceed, even if you miss the prompt, which is weird.

The demo for this game sucked and somehow it kind of killed my enthusiasm for GOW3 too. I was trying to have fun with the combos but they were so limited I quickly got sick of them. I thought, 'this is basically what GOW is like. Maybe that won't be so great either." Maybe it's just that I played Bayonetta recently, but this just seems so asinine.

The cartoon cutscenes were ugly and badly written to boot. And having to mash O for every fountain was fucking dumb.

RSLAEV

Lord Error said:
Is someone else going to tell him, or should I? :lol

Ah what the hell. What you described his character to be, is pretty much exactly what Kratos is. If you played the first GoW, you'd see that there was actually some surprisingly good characterization of him that way, and even unveiled layer by layer throughout the game, with some surprising twists, instead of served on a platter in a press release or during game's intro. GoW doesn't get enough credit in my opinion with how well they pulled this off, and I can't help but shake my head at th 'generic rage' comments the character is getting to this day, as it just show those people never played maybe beyond the demo of the first game, if that. Admittedly Corry screwed the pooch a bit in that sense with second game, but the original cannot just be dismissed because of the sequel.

Well you have to admit the marketing depicts him as some kind of roided-out-rage-fueled-god slaying-machine that occasionally takes a break from kicking ass and taking names to bang the hawtest chick in the room. He reminds me of assholes I've known, and then when I realize that those assholes would definitely love playing as this guy...well I naturally get repulsed.

RSLAEV said:
Well you have to admit the marketing depicts him as some kind of roided-out-rage-fueled-god slaying-machine that occasionally takes a break from kicking ass and taking names to bang the hawtest chick in the room. He reminds me of assholes I've known, and then when I realize that those assholes would definitely love playing as this guy...well I naturally get repulsed.

Yeah, I feel the same way about Kratos. Never liked him. You never know though, the guy in DI could be the same way. The demo is pretty short and doesn't really give you an impression of his personality.

Got around to trying it out, pretty cool, fluid gameplay, the cross stitches were gross. Evil crusaders was pretty lulzy and the tits were out of place a little...was his wife raped?

Tiktaalik

The demo is pretty great. My only concern is that upon watching the video after that flashes through all the environments of the full game to hype you up I feel like they're all pretty boring and sameish looking.

When the cathedral back falls out to reveal lava it's this whole "oh shit" moment. If they can re-create that feeling multiple times throughout the various levels of hell than this will be a really great game.

akachan ningen said:
The cartoon cutscenes were ugly and badly written to boot. And having to mash O for every fountain was fucking dumb.
Agreed on both fronts. The fountain button mashing is completely pointless.

tribal24

Banned
its alright but its just feels way to similiar to god of war like identical just in a different setting.Right after i played the demo it made me wanna play god of war 3 , shit now im about to start god of war 2 on the collection. ill pass

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
RSLAEV said:
It's true, as I mentioned above, it was suprising to me as well. They actually went to some good lengths to flesh out his character and did it in a very fluid way, providing some character development related plot (and gameplay) twists along the way. I can't frankly think of too many games that did that as successfully in such short time, much less action hack & slash games.

woxel1

That was the most embarrassing demo of our times. You can base a game on a great literary work & you can have it running at 60 frames per second, but not at the same time.

Chrange

Banned
Lord Error said:
Admittedly Corry screwed the pooch a bit in that sense with second game, but the original cannot just be dismissed because of the sequel.

And the sequel can't be dismissed because of the original either. He might have started out as a character with something to offer, but he's pretty much a generic rage machine in the second game :p

I don't know about you, but I judge a character based on his latest games, not just his first one and ignoring any others. That's why Sonic sucks.

sonicmj1

Well, that was really, really terrible. I mean, even if you ignore how absurd the whole plot is, it just doesn't play very well.

I like the part where they teach you how to use the Holy Cross item by giving you a fifty hit combo for hitting circle over and over for fifteen seconds.

Kittonwy

Banned
The CG cutscenes were pretty nice, the gameplay however was meh and the graphics was pretty mediocre, it's basically a GOW clone but not a particularly good one, functional and that's about it.
KlintIndifference.gif

longdi

Banned
I like the projectile weapon and the upgrading choices, like castlevania a bit. I can see them being boring by the end of the game though. The normal combat is not as good as GOW3. The timings and transition animations feel very raw.

The music or the timing of music is horrible, so forced, so not dramatic. epic phail. The story or the setup to the story is also forced and jarring. 60fps however make GOW3 look poor. CG cutscenes is surprisingly very high quality, reminds of Blizzard, can even see the facial hairs!

Phreak47

Yeah I was impressed by the CG but... eh... the GOW comparisons are inevitable, it's so obvious it's trying so hard to cop GOW's formula, but I'll give them a B+ for effort anyway.

longdi

Banned
I been thinking the look and feel might be a GOW3 copy but the actual gameplay feels more to me like a mixed of Castlevania in 3D and DMC, the hack and slash through feelings. GOW is more like a choreographed dance imo. or maybe it is just the 60fps messing with my perception.

Jaroof

I don't know why I keep running into glitches in demos..
First God of War 3, now Dante's Inferno.

As I was fighting Death, I jumped, and he grabbed me..
No quicktime event came up to escape from it, and he just kept yelling "____ MORTAL!" lines at me, as we spin through the ground and... well, just watch.
Kinda crappy quality, btw. Recorded with my Instinct's camera :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oaH0GtK7SoY

Yep.. still spinning. It's been like 5 minutes. I give up :lol

Top Bottom